Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  #64 Indy Build Thread 56k beware tons of photos (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
#64 Indy Build Thread 56k beware tons of photos by Fiero Thomas
Started on: 10-22-2007 12:40 PM
Replies: 115
Last post by: KEV on 04-08-2009 08:08 PM
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
Here is my Indy go-cart. In the process of restoring to look just like my Indy. Now have all the correct decals and stutter stripe reduced to scale for the go-cart. Thanks to Paul McKibben. Kris June stripes

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 11-14-2007).]

IP: Logged
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!!!!
<----------------Gotta get off the forum and go write Santa Claus right now!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
OK here is where we are today. It is 39 degrese outside and I did work on the car for about 3 hours in it. Here is the trick though. I was sweating big time wearing just a sweatshirt. Yes I found my solution. ON with the photos and you will see.

yes that is 70,000 btu shooting right on me and under the car. I can not say how comy that I was but I will say that I was comfy as I have ever been. It warmed the whole area around the car and was AWESOME!!!!

Here is the completed side of the car. Hard to see but all set to go.

Here is the other side. I have the two bottom control arm bolts in set to go now.

She looks worse than it really is on the looks. I need to clean everything still.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
88 Formula T-Top C+C # 1239 of 1252, Build Digit 26,224 of 26,402
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
I will have to give you “The Whatever It Takes Award”
Wouldn’t catch my butt out there freezing…
Even for an Indy
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Well I am back at it again. This time it snowed outside. I am letting my heated thaw out the car fbefore I get back into it. Its cold but I am going to get this damn car finished!!!!!

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Well I was able to get the messed up bushing out in the snow. I now have two new ones that I have to put in so I can get the drivers side up and fixed. I have to find two new grade 8 bolts as well. So I am in holding for the next few days till I knock the bolts out.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Just a friendly Bump to keep her alive. Cant wait to get my hands back on her.

SHe starts everytime in the cold and I can not wait to get her on the road.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net
Click here for E-Break and Shifter boots
Click here for Sunshade bags and T-Top Bags

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have been following this since your day one. Its about time for some new pictures. Did ya ever get your front suspension back togeather. Keep up the good work.
I have had thoughts about making me an Indy clone with a white notchie and a 4.9 Cadillac V8
ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:
SHe starts everytime in the cold and I can not wait to get her on the road.

Well that puts you one up on me…
I tried to start my Indy yesterday…
First time I’ve seen her since Halloween…
She turned over one revolution then… click…click…click.
CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

Well that puts you one up on me…
I tried to start my Indy yesterday…
First time I’ve seen her since Halloween…
She turned over one revolution then… click…click…click.

See what happens when you don't drive it???????????
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I have been following this since your day one. Its about time for some new pictures. Did ya ever get your front suspension back togeather. Keep up the good work.
I have had thoughts about making me an Indy clone with a white notchie and a 4.9 Cadillac V8

Nothing new to post at this time. I have half of the front back on but it is darn cold out here at this time. I have another front end out there as well that I am tring to get the bolts out of as well to replace the messed up ones. I had to get new bushings on the drivers side as well. The bottom Bushings were cracked. I have new ones but need to get them in. Now its supposed to be 6 degrees this weekend so I think that it will be another two months befor I can get back into her.

I start her and run her when I can and she runs great. Just want to get her on the ground and take her for a drive.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

PFF
System Bot
ohioindy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CenTexIndy:

See what happens when you don't drive it???????????

Well at least I don’t have half a million miles short of a “light year” on my odometer.

[This message has been edited by ohioindy (edited 01-16-2008).]

CenTexIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

Well at least I don’t have half a million miles short of a “light year” on my odometer.

if 64,322 is that far...then...well....fine. my Indy will be the first one to a light year.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I have 151,000 so I am beyound that light year for sure but we are looking for faster then light with my odom.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
What about reupholstering the seats! You can do that in doors.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
That is on my list for sure. Thanks again for the seats. I have them ready to get redone. Need to find the right piping still. I got the material for the sides already though.

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to keep her from dieing. We are now over the 50 inches of snow mark for this winter. This is with another storm on the way. I hope to get back into her in a month or two when this is all over.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Well it was 70 outside yesterday so it was time to get back into this car. I am going to get her together for this summer then I have another complete frontend that I am going to do like new for next year when I get to the underside of the car. I was not able to get to it for the last 7 months do to winter but I am good to get on her now till she is done.

Here you can see that this is all surface rust on the parts so I am not concerned for the time being that there is any issue that will create a problem over this year or the next if need be. The first bolt in for the drivers side lower control arm.

Booth bolts in for the lower control arm. Looking to get some new shocks in there for now as well.

nest will be to get the next spring in there. Sould get to it this weekend

cleaned up the inside a bit. Needs a set of my boots in there. and a nice tire cover to boot.

More to come

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 04-17-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Got some more done today on the car.

Here you can see the fist side is done. The car is still in the air for the other things to get done but I am happy to say one down

Here you can see that this side is almost done. I need to find one nut to mount the shock then this side will be done

Here you can see a small pile witch is the front tire tub and stuff

Took it out as I find that it is easyier to work on the steering rack from the top and not the bottom. I need to find bolts to hold it back in and that should be the last chalange for now

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net
Click Here for Spare TIre Covers
Click Here for Headliner Kits

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

I've got #90 up here in Midland, Michigan and I've been going through a lot of the same stuff!
(never ending cleaning of brake dust out of white wheels, trying to get the seats spiffed up, trying to figure out what to do about the dark grey/black stuff on the steering wheel, going through the suspension/brakes, etc)

Are you coming to the 25th show?
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Well the whole front end is on the car now and the calipers are froozen so I just have ordered a set from Rock Auto. I hope to have them here so I can get her on the road next week. SO on to other things for now. I am going to tackel the cracked deck lid springs on the back. Photos to come

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net
Click Here for Spare TIre Covers
Click Here for Headliner Kits

PFF
System Bot
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hi Thomas, to acknowledge your work, made something for you
If you'd like changes - let me know.

~~~~~

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover

~~~~~
To use it - "Edit" my post and copy the text between the ~~~~ lines

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 04-23-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
That is AWSOME. Thank you so much. Have a good one.

------------------

eldervampire

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tom !

Glad to see she's getting the love she needed. As far as her mechanical condition goes she got some love from Mike Murphy and I put a new starter and battery in her and had the engine gone over to catch what Mike and I may have missed. She has ALOT of life in her. From what my guy says the exhaust looks to be a custom job to match the header and the front springs were cut, acording to my guy he claimed they lost 1" to 1 1/2". Good job man.

Michal
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mike she is doing better. Got one of the two calipers in today. I have a starter issue now. the selinoid is not turning on so no spin on the starter motor. I put replacment springs in the back. nust have missed something ssomeware as the lid has tension on it but not enough. need to revisit. on with the photos

No here is the header that is in there. its a hooker comp header. nice thing to have in there.

she is a bit dirty but I will get to that soon

as you can see the battery is not in there the correct way. it has bolts in it to hold the connectors on and the battery is still wrapped in plastic. This needs to be addressed asap

trans area is just dusty

Here you can see that I need to clean up the wires in the car. I will be doing a full tuneup when the motor is clean and putting in the correct color wires and putting everything where it should go.

Here you can see the new hinge in place and the relay pack that needs to be mounted correctly

Here you can see the battery mount that is in there. well the lack of it. bundgy cord does not work to well but I guess OK for a very tem fix. I have a new tray for it that will be going in there.

Time to start the cleaning

had alittle shine after the cleaning but I have a long way to og. I might not do decals but paint on the graphics to the covers.

Thats all for now.

------------------

davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:
Original snorkle. All lights strobe as on Indy #1.

I want one of these! The ones I've seen on ebay have no lights in them. Argh!

------------------

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I am a bit stuck right now. THe drivers side breakline is pluged and I have no idea what to do on that one. I have niw calipers and pads on there but darn. Any Idea??

------------------

paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
The story on me getting an official strobe system is that 6 years ago I received a phone call from a fellow who told me he had a snorkle for Indys. I thought at the time it was an after market as mentioned aboue. He said no this one has an amber lens. I said ya I have seen people put lens in them. Again he says no this has strobe lights and the wiring system an stated he was offered $350.00 from Fiero Phil of F.O,C.O. I said is that what you want ($350.00) Yes was the answer. I said sold. He said however the lens has a crack. I said thats OK. Ya but what I do for work is making molds for the auto companys I can make a new one for you. OK how much for a new lens. ($50.00) OK. Yes- Well he made a mistake on the new one. 1/8" to short. But made another one the correct fit. Now asked him what about the one to short. How much for it. (Nothing) great
My Indy now has the strobe system as #1 at Indy and #2 of GM. rear deck lid strobe, back up lights strobe amd parking lights strobe. This Indy will be at the 25th. Looking forward to see old friends and new ones. Get registered early to get a limited addition 25th Anniversary shirt for the first 250 registered cars for the 25th.
R. T.

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 04-25-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
And she is now on the ground with a almost new front end and all new breaks

Oh ya and now she wont start. there is a click to the back but the started motor will not turn. So much for taking her out for a drive for the first time. I have had this car for about 8 months and have never driven it yet.

------------------

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
OK so I have spent most the day outside trying to find the short. WHen I turn the key the 7 volts to the power on the starter does not exits. any help??

------------------

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
It is very common for the starter wires to rot to the point that they fall apart when you take them off. Look real close at the wire and see if there corroded. Hope it helps. Rick
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I have the started out of the car and there is nothing to the line. I need to find where it starts to get there.

------------------

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
Automatic??? Try the connector at the transmission. My '87 did that, it had lights, everything but, did not start. Disconnected the transmission connector, cleaned and it started right up.

Edit for typos and note: repeat as needed if this is your problem.

[This message has been edited by s550w (edited 04-27-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Found the issue with the car. The switch that is on top the trans that send the signal to the starter is not sending the signal. I jumped the wires and the car started right up. I need to take it off and clean it well. Any tips on cleaning all the corosion off these things?

------------------

eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
Belive it or not the best thing i've ever used to clean battery terminals has been coke syurp. We drink it and it will disolve a metal strip over night.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Started some paint work on the car. Worked on the hood with diffrent compounds to try and bring it back

Here you can see how bad the paint is

Here you can see over the passanger headlight that its starting to come out

Here if you look up by the windshield you can see how we are going from cloudy to a shine

Here you can see more of the shine comming through. Its hard to see with white but this is 100 times better and I am not done yet.

------------------

eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that looks great Tom.

Give me a call when you get the right system / tecnique down. I'm gonna be doing this soon on my Indy to see if it really needs new paint.

------------------
I have hundreds of uses for for people when they're alive. There are only a few after they are dead.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute, where on earth did you buy the spring reducer? I've hunted down many auto stores looking for one and nobody has them or one that is small enough to fit in the area.

Here is where the other side ends. I broke two bolts off and I am having an issue with another. My pops is going to help me out tomorrow to get the rest off the car.

Upper off

How are you going to replace the Indy badge?

It has all the badges and they are correct. I have the decales on the way

Rant on: GM beautifully made the door handle in leather and went cheapo with all other models! They could have offered them in grey leather arrhhh!

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-05-2008).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I got the spring unit at pep boys out here. IT was only like 25.00 if I remember. Worked out real well. The badges I have already but want to do the paint work before I switch them around. If you can not get them out there I will ship you a set if you want. Just let me know.

Tom

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

I know some of the purist may not like this, but its my personel choice.

I like the newer/modern style steering wheel.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock