Fiero Museum in Sanford, MI - Here's a Picture by Notorio
Started on: 04-03-2007 08:38 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Notorio on 09-03-2008 10:09 AM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
A friend who just moved to Midland, Michigan took a picture of the upcoming Fiero Museum for me. I count 20 Fieros sitting in that lot. Here it is ...

There have been at least two prior posts on this subject -- but I believe this is the first picture Does anyone have the April 2007 story from Tim? How can we get him on the Forum? Does he need help to get this open?

Here is the Archived news story ...

Tim Evans is a member of the Michigan Fiero Club, may be a member of PPF ?

SANFORD -- Architect Tim Evans is taking a rundown building and making it an energy-efficient showplace for the cars he loves.

Evans, an architect who specializes in building modifications for solar energy and energy efficiency, has collected about 30 Pontiac Fieros and is creating a showplace for them in a building that's been a service station and auto repair shop at Sanford's west end. He hopes to have the shop, Fieros Forever, up and running by late winter or early spring.

For Evans, the Fiero is just about the perfect car. It's sporty, speedy and made of plastic panels over a sturdy frame so parts can be changed easily. Manufactured from 1984-88, the Fiero was to be Pontiac's answer to the Corvette, but for less money and with less power. The plastic is more forgiving than the Corvette's fiberglass, so it doesn't shatter when it gets bumped.

"This is Tupperware," he half-joked.

He drove his first Fiero, a GT, at McArdle Pontiac-Cadillac in 1987. At the time, a four-cylinder was all he could afford.

"It's like driving a go-cart in some ways because they're right down on the ground," he said. "It corners very well.

"When you drive it, you feel like you're driving 200 miles an hour because you're right near the ground. It's a very quick steer. If you tweak the steering wheel, you're clear across the road."

Later, he bought a six-cylinder, and another. Then he bought a slightly damaged Fiero 1987 fastback -- which he still owns -- and thought he had the world by the tail.

Before long, he was combing salvage yards for Fiero parts, which didn't rust away. Most of his current fleet came from Michigan, although he bought one in Missouri when he visited a national Fiero show with other members of the Michigan Fiero Club. This car was a replica of the 1984 Indianapolis 500 pace car.

"Those are very valuable now because they only made 2,000," he said.

At a Fiero convention, a friend bought a 20-foot-long set of working drawings showing all the car's parts, and he hopes to hang a copy on the wall at Fieros Forever. He also has a "Fiero Boulevard" sign he wants to place near the front door.

A recent visit to the shop showed a work in progress, with building materials lying around, dust everywhere and, in one of its small rooms, car parts stacked.

The sign outside read "Bob's Car Cleaning" but the cars parked outside gave a pretty good idea of its future name. Evans plans to buy and sell Fieros and Fiero memorabilia and help customers find parts and service. A room in front will become a museum and, in the back, he'll have a place for "working on the messier car jobs." He hopes to sell little Fiero model cars and kits for making them, and he's looking for someone to monogram the Fiero name and logo on jackets, T-shirts and hats.

Eventually, he'd like to have shows at Sanford's Veterans Park.

Although Fieros are fine for collecting, Evans still likes to drive them. People love or hate his current set of wheels, which has a Fiero chassis but looks like an early 1990s Lamborghini, bright red.

"Some people just don't like the unique body style," he said. Others "go by with their thumbs up" or "stop you at the light and want to race you."

Here are the two Archived posts on this subject ...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-059520.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-057808.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
[Field of Dreams]
*Whispering* ...If he builds it, I will come...
[/Field of Dreams}

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
That raises more questions than it answers, but the bottom line is I'm happy someone is doing it. Big thumbs up. Go for it, Tim! (if you read this)

Wish I could get up there sometime to help out, but it won't be anytime soon.

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
That's a scary looking trailer...
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

[Field of Dreams]
*Whispering* ...If he builds it, I will come...
[/Field of Dreams}

You made this too easy for a stupid comment.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
So, I guess no one from the area actually knows anything about Tim's progress?
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
always heard about it from many people including non fiero people. Never saw it till now...

------------------
3800 SC/IC Formula people tell me the car whines more then I do....

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
I may have to check this out since I drive right by Sanford Lake on the way to my northern Michigan cabin. Might be a good place for a Fiero get-together.
nitrous nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitrous nutSend a Private Message to nitrous nutDirect Link to This Post
im going to check it out when the snow stops coming down (soon i hope)
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
hmm, i thought i posted on it about a year and a half ago. guess not! i'll post the pics i have of it later on. from wheni talked to him, i was living in midland fr a short time going to school and was out cruising around and ran across it. it is SLOWLY coming together from what i got from him. kinda cool thouhg to see that many fieros in 1 place, right off the major road in town.

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Is that why good Fieros are so hard to find in Michigan? I'd love to see it when it's done!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm all for it, but not of those visible look like muesum quality to me. Maybe this is year one of a 100 year project?
Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroDirect Link to This Post
Tims progress is going very well and shop is almost done. Tim has a lot of ideas for this place, repair shop, body shop and yes we will all have another place like, Fiero Factory, Kitkill Farms and Twin Lakes (which is gone now) Sanford is about 1 1/2 hours from Lansing, Michigan. In 2008 after the 25th show some of us will be going north for a week in Michigan and Tim's is one of the places we hope to stop at.
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

That's a scary looking trailer...

That's what horse people call a "saddle back" trailer, taller stuff goes in the middle, like non-lowered Fieros.

I hope he's up and running for my run out to the 25th Aniversary Show.
Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroDirect Link to This Post
I will get ahold of him a nd let hin know about folks coming to his shop and show room.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a great event for the West Michigan Fiero Club! Please keep us informed.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
I have stopped there a few times and got an email address from a sun faded paper hanging in the window. Inquired about a few of the GT's outside, and were overpriced. It looks abandonded to me for the most part. Inside has some cars under covers and nothing is finished that I can see. I wasn't very impressed, I also saw the "early 90's lambo" it was parked out front. If I remember correctly it was a Pisa scorpion kit.

I don't really see where the museum comes from? It's neat to have all those fiero's, but none of them are musem quality in the least and abandonded outside and harshly affected from many yrs of sun/whether beating on them.

I would like to see what's hiding under the covers inside.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AquaHusky:
You made this too easy for a stupid comment.

Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Could someone please PM me Tim's contact info? I am in need of an exhaust manifold, and would like to see his place too.

Brad

------------------

hazards280

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hazards280Send a Private Message to hazards280Direct Link to This Post
This was the guy i was wondering about lol......Does anyone have his contact info
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A while back there was a retired man by the name of Harold Hooten that ran a small Fiero museum in Michigan (SW of Detroit) that he called the American Fiero Museum. He opened his garage to visitors and had one of the largest collections of Fiero literature and memoribilia that I've ever seen. He also had an 84 Indy with less that 100 miles on it that didn't have the recall work done. I heard that Mr. Hooten past away a few years ago and what became of his collection is a mystery to me but he had the type of stuff that belonged in a museum. Then there is our old friend, the crook Phil Huff. By misleading everyone with his for profit business that he called The Fiero Owners Club of America, Phil was able to secure a number of factory prototypes, the large Fiero signs that once were on the outside of the factory wall and some banners that were displayed within. Phil also took off with many a customers money without delivering anything.
Phil has museum quality stuff and I can just guess that its all still locked away somewhere in his private garage in Nevada. Does anyone know where Phills collection is?

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Hootons stuff I heard was sold off.

Huffs stuff I have not hear anything on it since he disapeared.

There was noting wrong with a for profit club as long as you deliver to the product and membership. In his case he was slow for years and stopped delivering all together.

Phil had no factory prototypes. He has a couple pace cars one with a coupe miles. Also he had a formula and some custom Fiero's all in various states none great.

The important part is the material like the sign and paperwork from GM Phil has and what happened to it.

The last time I saw any of his stuff it was a mess in California. The mess was about a great of a mess as he was.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
The last I heard of Phil, was that he was in Parumph, NV.....
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2008 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

The last I heard of Phil, was that he was in Parumph, NV.....

Yep with some Lincoln museam. The man not the car.

Lincoln is just who comes to mind when one is passing through Parumph.

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
I am amazed this thread came back to life. Perhaps my friend will take another picture to see if anything has changed ...
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend from another forum who lives out that way and drives by there a lot. She says from what she can see nothing has changed there.

------------------

1990 Sunbird SE /// 1995 Beretta Base

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
A well known PFF member bought Hoot's stuff from his family. Last I heard, the Indy might be up for sale, but that was at least a year ago. Don't know if it has sold yet.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update, Snowbb, then I won't trouble my friend with a request for a picture.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock