Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Drove an Ecotec Powered Fiero today (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Drove an Ecotec Powered Fiero today by Capt Fiero
Started on: 08-11-2006 12:19 AM
Replies: 172
Last post by: wftb on 05-19-2008 08:20 PM
KeithGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
There's a kid on another forum I'm on, and although he's an idiot, he has a colt turbo 4 that runs 10.4's at 143 MPH on street tires and is his daily driver that he says he only has 4 or 5K into.

I say he's an idiot because he posted a vid of him breaking 200 MPH on a highway, he said it was a closed course but it's at night and you can see him blowing past headlights like they're not moving. But still 10.4's @ 143 and it's a DD

Furthermore, all this arguring about how little torque a 4 cylinder makes is pointless. I'm extremely surprised even the V8 guys don't know this but it really doesn't matter how much torque you make (sorta) if you've got the gears to back it up it's really simple to get past it. For example, my turbo saturn makes the most power from 3.8K up. with my nice short close ratio gears, I launch at 4K RPM, and shift at 6.5K (redline) and never drop below 4K again. Wow, it's such a shame I don't have tranny busting torque or I'd be uber slow all the time. Actually, I'll take low torque High HP with strong gears anyday since when everything is matched up correctly, HP will win on the track. Drag strip, road racing, etc. Note, when I say this, an improperly matched up engine/gear/tire combo will be slow off the line if it's a high HP low torque motor, but if everything is match good, it will even beat a high torque motor off the line. IMO high torque is good for only a few things, feeling fast, putting you in the seat, breaking stuff, and when you're easy on it, fairly good gas mileage and DD'ing.

Just for fun, let's compare numbers here, In the saturn @ 2300 lbs, on 4 PSI, I've run;

14.47 @ 99, 2.41 60' (drove home after 16 passes and still got 31 MPG Lets see a V8 do that)
14.59 @ 96, 2.31 60' (not quite as fast, but my exhaust was a little more restrictive and I had different tires on)

Granted, my 60's are terrible, I can spin the tires through 2nd (50 MPH) but that's on 4 PSI!!! it's not even tuned very well, it gets 32-35 MPG mixed and 40+ all highway, I've got almost 10K miles on the set-up and it shows no signs of breaking. If I went out and bought a megasquirt and tuned the fuel and spark better, I know I could trap 102 and if I could launch well, run 13's. To top that off, I'd get better fuel mileage as well.

So guys, what do you run in the 1/4??? (other the oreif, as I already know his runs since he seems to be the only person that ACTUALLY runs his car instead of his mouth)

------------------
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872
T3 60 trim + 4 PSI + crappy tires = 14.47 @ 99 MPH and 31 MPG

Mr. Pat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cooguyfish:

There's a kid on another forum I'm on, and although he's an idiot, he has a colt turbo 4 that runs 10.4's at 143 MPH on street tires and is his daily driver that he says he only has 4 or 5K into.

I say he's an idiot because he posted a vid of him breaking 200 MPH on a highway, he said it was a closed course but it's at night and you can see him blowing past headlights like they're not moving. But still 10.4's @ 143 and it's a DD

Furthermore, all this arguring about how little torque a 4 cylinder makes is pointless. I'm extremely surprised even the V8 guys don't know this but it really doesn't matter how much torque you make (sorta) if you've got the gears to back it up it's really simple to get past it. For example, my turbo saturn makes the most power from 3.8K up. with my nice short close ratio gears, I launch at 4K RPM, and shift at 6.5K (redline) and never drop below 4K again. Wow, it's such a shame I don't have tranny busting torque or I'd be uber slow all the time. Actually, I'll take low torque High HP with strong gears anyday since when everything is matched up correctly, HP will win on the track. Drag strip, road racing, etc. Note, when I say this, an improperly matched up engine/gear/tire combo will be slow off the line if it's a high HP low torque motor, but if everything is match good, it will even beat a high torque motor off the line. IMO high torque is good for only a few things, feeling fast, putting you in the seat, breaking stuff, and when you're easy on it, fairly good gas mileage and DD'ing.

Just for fun, let's compare numbers here, In the saturn @ 2300 lbs, on 4 PSI, I've run;

14.47 @ 99, 2.41 60' (drove home after 16 passes and still got 31 MPG Lets see a V8 do that)
14.59 @ 96, 2.31 60' (not quite as fast, but my exhaust was a little more restrictive and I had different tires on)

Granted, my 60's are terrible, I can spin the tires through 2nd (50 MPH) but that's on 4 PSI!!! it's not even tuned very well, it gets 32-35 MPG mixed and 40+ all highway, I've got almost 10K miles on the set-up and it shows no signs of breaking. If I went out and bought a megasquirt and tuned the fuel and spark better, I know I could trap 102 and if I could launch well, run 13's. To top that off, I'd get better fuel mileage as well.

So guys, what do you run in the 1/4??? (other the oreif, as I already know his runs since he seems to be the only person that ACTUALLY runs his car instead of his mouth)

I ran a 13.2 @100. But im not bagging 4 bangers. My motors getting put back in as we speak, should be somewhere in the low 12's high 11's depending on a few factors. Maybe even faster. Wont know till comerce opens back up next yr.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

I ran a 13.2 @100. But im not bagging 4 bangers. My motors getting put back in as we speak, should be somewhere in the low 12's high 11's depending on a few factors. Maybe even faster. Wont know till comerce opens back up next yr.

I know you don't hate on the 4 poppers, but I'm going to use you as an example if I may.

You run 13.2 @ 100
I've run 14.47 @ 99

You have a LT1, that is mildly modified correct? Which means you should have in the range of 300 HP and more torque

I run 4 PSI which means if I'm lucky I'm making 155 WHP, or we could call it 175 crank HP (if I'm lucky). What this means to me, is that you have a lot of off the line power, as you'd expect from the SBC, but from a roll, you'd have a hard time leaving me.

So, from a roll, who with a SBC swap wants to run my 116 cubic inch 4 cylinder? Before someone else says it I will, Traction is my limiting force to running like 13.5's right now. Some day, when I'm not lazy and have the time I will put this same motor in my fiero. If I took my best runs right now, and transferred them over to my fiero (yes, bench racing at it's finest), I'd probably be able to at least cut a 2.0 60', which on my 14.47 run would mean shaving .41 tenths off at the first 60', I've heard that .1 at the begining is .15 tenths at the end, if that is true (which I don't know for sure) then I'd be running 13.85 @ 99.

And not to pick on Mr. pat, as I do respect your car, but I bet you don't get quite the gas mileage I do.

It's at this point too that I'd like to mention, I don't have a problem with SBC's, but I do have a problem with SBC owners that think if it's not a V8, it's not fast. I mean, come on, a 350 Has 3 times the cubes my saturn engine does and on only 4 PSI I'm trapping just under an LT1 with a auto? I've got a WHOLE lot less power, with less weight and most importantly, a LOT more gear.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

II run 4 PSI which means if I'm lucky I'm making 155 WHP, or we could call it 175 crank HP (if I'm lucky). What this means to me, is that you have a lot of off the line power, as you'd expect from the SBC, but from a roll, you'd have a hard time leaving me.

So, from a roll, who with a SBC swap wants to run my 116 cubic inch 4 cylinder? Before someone else says it I will, Traction is my limiting force to running like 13.5's right now. Some day, when I'm not lazy and have the time I will put this same motor in my fiero. If I took my best runs right now, and transferred them over to my fiero (yes, bench racing at it's finest), I'd probably be able to at least cut a 2.0 60', which on my 14.47 run would mean shaving .41 tenths off at the first 60', I've heard that .1 at the begining is .15 tenths at the end, if that is true (which I don't know for sure) then I'd be running 13.85 @ 99.
And not to pick on Mr. pat, as I do respect your car, but I bet you don't get quite the gas mileage I do.

It's at this point too that I'd like to mention, I don't have a problem with SBC's, but I do have a problem with SBC owners that think if it's not a V8, it's not fast. I mean, come on, a 350 Has 3 times the cubes my saturn engine does and on only 4 PSI I'm trapping just under an LT1 with a auto? I've got a WHOLE lot less power, with less weight and most importantly, a LOT more gear.

You are forgetting something about the SBC Fiero's. The Fiero manual transaxles like the V-6 4-spd and the Getrag are geared better for the lower redline of the V-8 where your Saturn transaxle is geared for your engine. From a roll an SBC would still leave you. From a roll, it removes the launch/traction aspect out of it. So say as an example a LT1 SBC puts 200rwhp down, Your car is 155rwhp. Both cars from a roll will be geared and rolling in the power band for each. As long as the gearing is matched to the engine, a 200rwhp car is going to pull away from a 155rwhp car (not taking into account factors like weight and such). It doesn't have anything to do with the type of engine, but the power and gearing. Granted with higher gearing and rpm range, your car will have a higher top end so you would catch up eventually and possibly pass him, But initially he would walk away from you.

I've have done it with a friends Cobalt SS. He is running a modded ecotec SC engine putting down about 300 rwhp. My car puts down 309 rwhp.
From a standing start, I usually jump about 1 to 1.5 car lengths off the line and then once over about 60 mph he will start to catch up. By about 110 mph were nearly door to door. Basically once I get into 4th he gains quickly as I start to run out of gear.
From a roll, we stay pretty much side by side with my car edging slightly until about 100mph, at this point his gearing makes better use of his power and he pulls ahead. The only reason I edge him at first is because I have about 9 rwhp more and a slight weight advantage of about 50lbs. He runs around 12.3 same as I do.

High torque in the lower rpm range will provide faster times in the first half of the 1/4 mile where having the higher torque in the upper rpm range will have faster times during the last half of the 1/4 mile. If two identical weight cars with identical horsepower but on is a N/A V-8 and the other a boosted 4-cyl, The V-8 will be faster up to the 660' mark and the boosted 4 will have a faster time from 660' to the end. They may end up crossing the line about the same time at about the same speed, but the times at the 60', 330' 660' and 1000' will be different between them.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
At the time it was a bone stock LT1. I dont want to get into numbers, but it was rated at 260hp. That was with the impalas rediculous exhaust/intake system. Id be more than happy to run you from a roll. If I lose its because your car is faster...But the cam I have has a pretty hefty lift and is deffinelty a topend cam. But its all launch in stock form. With the mild work im doing and the bottle it should be an all round monster. But time will tell. I plan on spraying the sh1t out of it one time at the track, crack off the best time I can and get banned from the track.....but from a roll its deffinelty quick, but nothing like the launch. And while the auto tranny is alot stronger than any the fiero ever offered, its not ideal for the application. But im not scared to beat on it which is worth the sacrifice IMO.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
build

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Mr. Pat

1860 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Oh, feel free to use me as an example. I wont take any offence. Cars are cars. If car a is faster than car b, then thats how it is. Arguing dumbass points like sound is pointless. Your car is your car. Its what you make it, and hopefully thats what you want....if I could do it again id probly go with a sc3800 for different reasons, I still love my car to death, just getting sick of changing the starter every 3 months.........oh, and fuel economy...I got 25.3 driving from Iowa to GA. About 19 around town not being conservative, but not being stupid. Not earth shattering, but deffiently better than alot of cars out there.

------------------
build

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
4cyl engines are great and dandy. I was the one that started this thread. The ecotec 4 is a darn good engine.

However you guys touting that a 4cyl is faster than V8's need to step back a little.

Mod for Mod a V8 is always going to be faster than a 4cly. For every 7 second 4cyl you can post, there are a hundred V8's doing it.

Heck check out last months Hotrod. Pump gas drags.

There were no less than 10 V8 cars running pump gas and doing 7 and 8 second passes. Pump Gas, streetable driver cars. Hell they were not even DOHC they were regular pushrod V8's.

Any motor can be made to go fast. But mod for mod the biggest power will always come from the biggest engine. The ecotec makes huge power for what it is.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Noone is denying that mod for mod a v8 will win. I think its people saying a V8 cant be beat by a 4 cyl with the same, if not more power is whats ruffling feathers.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Noone is denying that mod for mod a v8 will win. I think its people saying a V8 cant be beat by a 4 cyl with the same, if not more power is whats ruffling feathers.

Exactly.

A similar thread went down in flames with people getting banned, when Archie said that 4 cyl's don't make any power until 160mph..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20060811-1-056527.html
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
In the end of that discussion. If you could build a 4cyl with a perfect trans axle, maybe one of them CVT units then yes a 4 cyl could beat a V8 with the same power.

However peak power numbers, as any engine build will tell you, are not the main thing that makes a car go fast.

The engine with the highest average power over the entire range of rpms when racing will always win.

If you build an engine that has a broad power range, 4cly or V8 or V16 the motor that has the best power range (given equal hp) will always win. It is just the fact that most V8's have a much more sustained power range than 4cyl. How bout we go to a drastic side of the coin.

Put a V8 and a 4cyl both with 300 peak HP. Both with the same transaxle. Make then start and only use 3rd gear. Heck even make it a rolling start to take out the launch factor. Then honestly tell me who is going ot win the quarter mile.

There is a lot more to racing than sheer peak numbers. Torque and power bands make a huge part in it. I am not talking out of my ass here. I have been street/strip racing for over 15 years. My first car was a 351 Ford V8 (76 Ford LTD) my 2nd was a 2.3L 4cyl. With Webber carb and high compression head (77 Merc Capri) They both had there good points. Did not matter what I did the V8 got 10-14mpg but would cruise at 120mph all day long. The Capri would run 25+ mpg and would squeak 130mph, however if you wanted it to go fast, you had to buzz that motor right up. Around town it was simply no fun. The V8 on the other hand gave me all the power in the world. It did not mater what gear the trans was in(automatic), the car always had power.

The people that sit back and say HP is the only thing that matters in a race and that a 300hp 4cyl will always beat a 250hp V8 need a good whack up side the head. If that 4cyl can't keep in his power range the race will be over before it starts.

before anyone hits reply. I am doing my best to show equal sides of the coin. Their are only so many choices for gears in Fiero. If someone finds a way to mount a CVT transaxle into a Fiero, I believe you will see a lot more small displacement high rpm engines in our cars. Now can we keep this civil.
PFF
System Bot
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

This is pretty much what my point is. It gets real annoying to see threads with V8 guys acting like they have the fastest stuff out there and everything else is so slow

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
However peak power numbers, as any engine build will tell you, are not the main thing that makes a car go fast.

The engine with the highest average power over the entire range of rpms when racing will always win.

If you build an engine that has a broad power range, 4cly or V8 or V16 the motor that has the best power range (given equal hp) will always win. It is just the fact that most V8's have a much more sustained power range than 4cyl. How bout we go to a drastic side of the coin.

I do agree with you, peak numbers mean nothing, average numbers are more important, so try these numbers and tell me what you think.

The NEW 2.0 turbo ecotec, the solstice GXP and sky redline motor, makes;

260 HP @ 5300 RPM
260 FT LBS @ 2000 RPM
Redline is 6K

So, essentially, it makes peak torque from 2K-5.3K RPM, YES, that's right boys and girls, a 122 cube 4 cylinder making 260 ft lbs from 2K to 5.3K, 260 ft lbs!!! with a factory warrenty even. at that rate a 350 would be making 741 ftlbs, and HP. An LS7 would be making over 915 HP!!!

Emphasis on the fact that that's a factory stock warrentied engine that's going to last every bit of 100K+ miles. Plus look at that powerband, that's holy crap loads of torque batman.

I realize 4 cylinders aren't God's gift to racing, and that a V8 can make more power but you guys keep saying mod for mod they make more power, well that's fairly obvious. So much so in fact, that why you guys even screw around with small blocks baffle me, I mean, it is all about the cubes so why you 350 guys stopped there is dumb, it would be much faster to have a BB 454, or 502, or even, what's that newish motor 636 or something crazy?

What it comes down to is that not everyone needs 600+ cubic inches, YOU went with a SMALL block because you like them, and they make enough power for you, even though there are BIGGER and more POWERFUL BB V8's out there YOU didn't need that much.

IT'S THE SAME THING WE DO. we just happen to like the half V8's because again, sure 350 cubes will make more than 116, but 600 will make more the 350. So get off the 4 cylinder guys backs already and just appreciate what you have, and the fact that a 4 cylinder can be as fast as your V8, even if it has to be more modifed, which no one is arguing that it takes more to make 116 cubes make a lot of power.

O, and one last thing, a turbo will actually give a pretty decent power range, mine isn't even tuned very well and there is a great amount of power from 3-6.5K, it has a slight bump around 3.8K but it's still go enough to break the tires loose from a roll at 3K

------------------
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872
T3 60 trim + 4 PSI + crappy tires = 14.47 @ 99 MPH and 31 MPG

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

So, essentially, it makes peak torque from 2K-5.3K RPM, YES, that's right boys and girls, a 122 cube 4 cylinder making 260 ft lbs from 2K to 5.3K, 260 ft lbs!!! with a factory warrenty even. at that rate a 350 would be making 741 ftlbs, and HP. An LS7 would be making over 915 HP!!!

I'll take one of each.

88GT5.0KILLER
From: Watching a once great nation become a 3rd world slum. The power of stockpiles of ammo.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT5.0KILLERSend a Private Message to 88GT5.0KILLERDirect Link to This Post

It gets real annoying to see threads with V8 guys acting like they have the fastest stuff out there and everything else is so slow

The V8 guys didnt start anything. You 4 bager guys always have to add lib.

This is the comment that started it all.

Originally posted by wftb:

and if i really want to spend the money i can buy the turbo or supercharger kit and then it would run with most of the v8's.

Your just tired of seeing the facts.

Boost for Boost the 4 banger will be DOMINATED.

Stock for Stock it will be DOMINATED

The LS1 IS the NEW SBC.

DEAL WITH IT.

But a 4 banger in a fiero that actually holds up would be nice. You know for a commuter car.

cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT5.0KILLER:

Your just tired of seeing the facts.

Boost for Boost the 4 banger will be DOMINATED.

The LS1 IS the NEW SBC.

DEAL WITH IT.

But a 4 banger in a fiero that actually holds up would be nice. You know for a commuter car.

You're right, I'm tired of facts. Facts like, your small block is slow, because you could have a big block in there.

I mean Boost for Boost a small block will be DOMINATED by a big block

Stock for Stock a small block will be DOMINATED by a big block

Since we're so hung up on cubes quiet screwing with those tiny, weak SB's and get into some real cubes 600+ all the way mang, the way it should be. There is no replacement for displacement. The bigger your motor, the larger your johnson has to be. true story.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT5.0KILLER:

Obviously hasn't been reading this thread....

So his "opinion" doesn't count.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
2 reasons people don't put big blocks in Fiero's.

First is difficulty. Its a lot harder to shoe horn a 502 into a fiero than it is a SBC.
Second Cost per HP. Parts for a SBC are cheaper, easier to find and all over the place. I think calling it common is an understatement. The LSX series of engines are just now becoming easy to find. Which is why you are starting to see them going into Fiero's as well.

I am sure if the BB V8's were as easy to install into a Fiero as they are say a Chevelle you would see a lot of BB Fiero's.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

First is difficulty. Its a lot harder to shoe horn a 502 into a fiero than it is a SBC.
Second Cost per HP. Parts for a SBC are cheaper, easier to find and all over the place. I think calling it common is an understatement. The LSX series of engines are just now becoming easy to find. Which is why you are starting to see them going into Fiero's as well.

I am sure if the BB V8's were as easy to install into a Fiero as they are say a Chevelle you would see a lot of BB Fiero's.

Though my comment wasn't directed towards you personally, I was really hoping someone would say something along these lines.

Having looked into the engine bay of a 4 cylinder yourself, would you agree that it fits in easier than a SBC (I realize your 4.9 is a little bit smaller than an SBC so work with me here). And at least for the ecotec, aftermarket support is growing rapidly. Last I heard you could get a parts manual from GM telling you what you needed to make a streetable 400 HP+ ecotec. Sure it may not be as earth shatteringly powerful as a built SBC, but of all the people on here that argue and argue that an SBC can mae 4-5-600 HP, how many actually put that much in there fiero? I may be crazy, but it seems that most stop around 3-400 HP, which isn't terribly hard to get from a 4 cylinder.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Why isn't everyone putting 400 SBC's into fieros? Costs the same, yet people are putting 305's and 350's in... why?

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The same reason you see more 383's than 400's in other cars. The 400 was never a good performer. Was not used as much as a 350 and did have not a favored bore to stroke ratio. It also depends on if it was a Pontiac 400 or a Chevy 400. My dad had a Chevy 400 in a 70s Impala. The thing could barley get out of its own way.

I guess if you want to talk about big engines. You can get a 454 SBC now. If the thing was not more expensive than an entire Fleet of Fiero's I bet it would be in a a lot of cars too.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

The 400 was never a good performer.

And the winner is....... the 400!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ok-heres-debate-century-383-400-chevy-cast-your-vote-33387.html

PFF
System Bot
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
Thats it. Its 4G63T time. The unveiling will be next summer......Hopefully.

Its on like donkey kong.

[This message has been edited by KeithGT (edited 10-28-2006).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

And the winner is....... the 400!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ok-heres-debate-century-383-400-chevy-cast-your-vote-33387.html

Well I stand corrected. It must have just been a piss poor motor that we had, and I have never seen one persoanlly that made decent power. Nice to know they can be done up nicley. Everyone I knew always did up the quicker reving 327 or 350 or 383.
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
Just happened upon this on gminsidenews.com this morning

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0609_2007_saturn_sky_red_line_dyno/

The 2.0 turbo makes 228 WHP and 248 WTQ

at a 13% drivetrain loss, it's making 262 HP and 285 ft lbs of torque. Also, on that site there is a video of the dyno run, and a picture of the dyno graph.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KeithGT:

Its on like donkey kong.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 12-10-2006).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
bumpin the eco threads
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Since I have an engine hoist, a spare BP-ZE engine, and a spare fiero... I think I'm going to piss all of you V8 guys off by sticking a Mazda engine in the back of the fiero. hahah I wanted an ecotec, but I like the idea of using my bpze because I have 3 of them, and know them like the back of my hand.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

bumpin the eco threads

what ecotec threads? This is just a 4 cylinder bash fest.
jack_ink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KeithGT:

Its on like donkey kong.

I wanna see that I love the 4G63 engines and have had one of em pulling off 10's easily in a Fiero I hope it kills stuff as it flys by at breakneck speeds...

And the race is kinda dependent on how the Transmission and cam cooperate with eachother...

EXAMPLE : IF I had a 500HP enginewith a transmission geared like sh** it would suck balls and get a 13.X gear it correctly and tune it nice to the gears and 10's easily am I so wrong? if the SBC swap had a trans built specifically for it and use in FWD setupsthey would easily have the times that you see in F-Body's and such but the transmissions arent setup for the optimum OVERALL and AVERAGE performance and yes follow the Dyno lines and see if the 4banger keeps up with the V8's charts throughout the spectrum not just peaks
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
There is no replacement for displacement money.

My $.02

Off topic: Nice ecotec swap!

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 02-22-2007).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
you know what i find really funny about all this 4 vs 8 stuff is that some guy said i started it all by saying this "and if i really want to spend the money i can buy the turbo or supercharger kit and then it would run with most of the v8's."notice i did not say beat most of the v8's .i said run with .in the english language i grew up with that is interpreted as keep up with or stay with.but you bunch of knuckle draggers obviously lost your thesaurus on the way to ditch digger school one day and brain fa&ted all over what i typed.but now i think when my car is done ,i will be able to wipe the floor with most of you.and i am not going to bother saying why because i have said it all before and been polite about it and you dont listen any way .there is a drag strip in grand bend ontario that i have been told lets you run every friday night for 20 bucks all night long .i will be there when it opens and the time slips will be posted .good or bad .
the first running turbocharged ecotec powered fiero.
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Well, I hope you hit your powerband at 160mph before the end of the 1/4 mile.

Originally posted by Archie:
Typically the turbo or SCharged 4's make their numbers at high RPM's & that's fine if you drive at 160 mph all the time. But us Hot Rodders want to from 0 to 100 as fast as possible & that takes a V-8.
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
I just want my car to go 0-smile on my face as fast as possible.
88GT5.0KILLER
From: Watching a once great nation become a 3rd world slum. The power of stockpiles of ammo.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2007 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT5.0KILLERSend a Private Message to 88GT5.0KILLERDirect Link to This Post

you know what i find really funny about all this 4 vs 8 stuff is that some guy said i started it all by saying this "and if i really want to spend the money i can buy the turbo or supercharger kit and then it would run with most of the v8's."notice i did not say beat most of the v8's .i said run with .in the english language i grew up with that is interpreted as keep up with or stay with.but you bunch of knuckle draggers obviously lost your thesaurus on the way to ditch digger school one day and brain fa&ted all over what i typed.but now i think when my car is done ,i will be able to wipe the floor with most of you.and i am not going to bother saying why because i have said it all before and been polite about it and you dont listen any way .there is a drag strip in grand bend ontario that i have been told lets you run every friday night for 20 bucks all night long .i will be there when it opens and the time slips will be posted .good or bad .
the first running turbocharged ecotec powered fiero.

You say Knuckledragger as if its offensive

You may run with the V8s on this board. TPI's and 4.9s.

I do like the attitude though

Good Luck
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Wow I didnt realize I clicked on this ecotec thread until I read wtfb thread.

Well just so you guys know the ecotec will be assimilating all of your 350s and will dominate for the rest of our lifes.

justa6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post
hmm, and the fastest fieros are V6's ........
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

the first running turbocharged ecotec powered fiero

OUTSTANDING ! I'll be looking forward to see what a turbo eco can do. So what kinda boost are you gonna be running? Any predicted power levels? What kind of engine mods besides the turbo?

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 02-22-2007).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justa6:

Yup...
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by justa6:

Thats cuz no ones got timeslips for an ecotec power fiero yet..duuuhhhh
justa6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Thats cuz no ones got timeslips for an ecotec power fiero yet..duuuhhhh

i do love the ecotec's! and im excited to see them in the fieros, especially boosted
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock