Started on: 06-04-2007 11:12 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: R Runner on 06-16-2007 07:37 AM
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2007 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Nothing Lights up on the switches and they don't move, so it's kind of hard to show anything. Here's what they look like as we were embedding them:

The switches look like this:

and require an impulse latching relay to work properly. You basically just touch the dot of paint (it takes 2 oz of pressure to send the pulse) and the switch operates. The switch labels are hand painted by the guy that did the pin striping, as well as the Finale Roadster Logo on the dash. They were painted on after the color coat and then the clear was shot over it, so it should be there a while.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Gorgeous car!!!!

I also love the extra attention that you gave the interior.
If you get at chance, could you demo (or post pics) of the B&O (Bang&Olufsen) style "buttons"? I'd love to see how they work and light up.

IP: Logged
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
That looks amazing very nice work.

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 06-06-2007).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Holy smokes!
I can't believe I missed this one!

Nice work John. Very nice!
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow John that's all I can say. I think I'm a few years behind on everything. I didnt even know you were building another Finale! I definitely want to see this in person. I think you should bring both cars down for the Automobilia show or even better the Kansas Barbeque event at Fast Indy's house. Let me know!

Take care,
Amir

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.09@115mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2007 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I think that's THE nicest handbuilt I've ever seen ... congraduations John
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2007 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Amir,

What are the dates of those events? My summer is getting pretty booked.

Through the 4th of July I'm going to be swamped here with farmwork.

If a miracle should happen, June 30/July 1 I work races at Tulsa, but I really don't see that happening. The next weekend races at Topeka. The weekend after that is the Gretna Show/Fremont show in Nebraska (you should come up to Gretna with us for the Pontiac show, you could meet us at Salina and we could drive up together). I think the weekend after that, July 21/22 is open, for the moment. The next weekend, July 28/29 has races at Omaha. August 9-11 is the Sand Hills Open Road Race at Arnold, NE. I think the first weekend of August is clear, again, so far. Aug 19-20 is a Nationals weekend at Topeka. Oh yeah, the Grand Am races are also at Iowa Speedway July 13/14, but there's not much chance I'll make that.

Let me know the dates. Some of this stuff I'm obviously not going to be able to attend but they're on the calendar. I will be going to Arnold on 8/9 through 8/11. I will also do everything possible to make it to Gretna on 7/15 and hopefully Fremont, NE, the day before (why I'm not planning on working the Grand Am races). I may or may not make it down to Tulsa at all this year, but it's a fun track and I'd like to go.

Weather is also a factor with the roadster. Either have to trailer it down or make sure there is very good weather that day. I'm also driving it as little as possible this season. If things go properly, I want it properly completed to take to the Starbird show in Wichita in Jan., Starbird in Feb, Omaha WOW in March, and maybe KC WOW in Feb, if schedules work for both Feb shows. I'm also seriously considering Fierorama this year, although it's a 750 mile drive for me and I don't know the dates (2nd weekend in Sept??) After that, the car will be for sale, if it's not sold sooner. It needs to go to southern California, AZ, or someplace with more predictable weather than KS so it can be enjoyed (or to the right owner here that doesn't live on a gravel road and can use it for what it was designed..........a toy.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Wow John that's all I can say. I think I'm a few years behind on everything. I didnt even know you were building another Finale! I definitely want to see this in person. I think you should bring both cars down for the Automobilia show or even better the Kansas Barbeque event at Fast Indy's house. Let me know!

Take care,
Amir

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Amir,

What are the dates of those events? My summer is getting pretty booked.

Through the 4th of July I'm going to be swamped here with farmwork.

If a miracle should happen, June 30/July 1 I work races at Tulsa, but I really don't see that happening. The next weekend races at Topeka. The weekend after that is the Gretna Show/Fremont show in Nebraska (you should come up to Gretna with us for the Pontiac show, you could meet us at Salina and we could drive up together). I think the weekend after that, July 21/22 is open, for the moment. The next weekend, July 28/29 has races at Omaha. August 9-11 is the Sand Hills Open Road Race at Arnold, NE. I think the first weekend of August is clear, again, so far. Aug 19-20 is a Nationals weekend at Topeka. Oh yeah, the Grand Am races are also at Iowa Speedway July 13/14, but there's not much chance I'll make that.

Let me know the dates. Some of this stuff I'm obviously not going to be able to attend but they're on the calendar. I will be going to Arnold on 8/9 through 8/11. I will also do everything possible to make it to Gretna on 7/15 and hopefully Fremont, NE, the day before (why I'm not planning on working the Grand Am races). I may or may not make it down to Tulsa at all this year, but it's a fun track and I'd like to go.

Weather is also a factor with the roadster. Either have to trailer it down or make sure there is very good weather that day. I'm also driving it as little as possible this season. If things go properly, I want it properly completed to take to the Starbird show in Wichita in Jan., Starbird in Feb, Omaha WOW in March, and maybe KC WOW in Feb, if schedules work for both Feb shows. I'm also seriously considering Fierorama this year, although it's a 750 mile drive for me and I don't know the dates (2nd weekend in Sept??) After that, the car will be for sale, if it's not sold sooner. It needs to go to southern California, AZ, or someplace with more predictable weather than KS so it can be enjoyed (or to the right owner here that doesn't live on a gravel road and can use it for what it was designed..........a toy.

John Stricker

Hey John. The Automobilia car show is July 14th. It is a moonlight show, usually from around 5pm until 11pm or so downtown. The KC Fiero barbeque is June 23rd, which is about 2 weeks from now. And Starbird is always a great time. Dont know if you can make it next week for the barbeque but just let me know. There is a thread in general with the info on it. If you can make it that would be great, but I understand all the work to be down on the farm this time of the season. Talk to you later! Tell Chris I said hello as well. The car is pretty impressive!

Amir

Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Nice work John..........beautiful. simply beautiful.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:
The weekend after that is the Gretna Show/Fremont show in Nebraska
.....snip......
I will also do everything possible to make it to Gretna on 7/15 and hopefully Fremont, NE, the day before

John, the show here in Fremont is on July 14th, but the Pontiac show in Gretna is August 26th, unless there's another show in Gretna that I'm not aware of....

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

I must have looked at the date wrong on my flyer I have for the Gretna show buy you're correct on the date for it. I probably won't be able to make both the Fremont show and the Gretna show, if I'm gone that much the wife will probably maim me, so I'm just planning on coming to the Gretna show, for now. Just keep your calendar open for the SORC race in August.

John Stricker

Originally posted by litespd:

John, the show here in Fremont is on July 14th, but the Pontiac show in Gretna is August 26th, unless there's another show in Gretna that I'm not aware of....

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Hey John. The Automobilia car show is July 14th. It is a moonlight show, usually from around 5pm until 11pm or so downtown. The KC Fiero barbeque is June 23rd, which is about 2 weeks from now. And Starbird is always a great time. Dont know if you can make it next week for the barbeque but just let me know. There is a thread in general with the info on it. If you can make it that would be great, but I understand all the work to be down on the farm this time of the season. Talk to you later! Tell Chris I said hello as well. The car is pretty impressive!

Amir

Not much chance of making the BBQ, I'm afraid, but I'm going to pencil in the Automobilia show for now. Do you have a flyer for it or something? Never mind, found the info on the Web.

John Stricker
PFF
System Bot
fieroluv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
that is one saweet ride you got there John. But I have to ask. I've been dying to find someone else who has that same instrument cluster as me. Do you have any problems with it?

I have had more problems with that instrument cluster than any other part of the car. I am pulling my hair out over this. I'll be driving down the road and the speedometer part will just start freaking out and then just go blank and won't come back on until I shut the car off and turn it back on. Also the gas gauge when full will read 99 and stay at 99 till I shut the car off even if I were to run it out of gas. Now if I fill it up it reads 99 then I drive it a block and shut the car off and turn it back on it will read 45 and that is actually what I consider a full reading. It will never go above 45 until I fill it up again. It will just go down from there. 2 is a completely empty tank. I have tried all 3 settings on the gauge panel and this one is the closest. And last but not least the water temp is always about 30 degrees off. Verified with a mechanical gauge. I have had three different senders in this thing all from the manufacturer. Same with the speed sensor. I'm lost.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I have had some problems with it. The tach has been my concern. All at once, it decided to go wacky, flickering wildly and showing 4,000 rpm at idle. A throttle blip would make it read 9999. I checked all my connections (it HAD been working fine) and nothing helped. I called tech support and talked to the one and only person that repairs these at Nordskog. After doing a little trouble shooting, he said it probably had a blown chip in the tach circuit and I should send it in. He also gave me a couple of other pointers. For instance, the voltmeter always read about 1.5 volts lower than my DVOM on the battery. There is a small pot right below the voltmeter that, according to him, you have to adjust to make it match your battery voltage at the battery. I did that and it reads fine now. When I had the cluster out, I didn't look to see if there was a similar pot for the fuel level, but I don't think so, just the dip switches and my fuel gauge appears to work fine. You might not know but the Fiero senders are notorious for being inaccurate and the gauge won't every be more accurate than the sender.

As far as my tach problem, after I adjusted my voltmeter, I put the cluster back in and it's worked perfectly ever since. Go figure.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend a Nordskog panel to anyone right now. Stick with Dakota Digital, they make good stuff and I had one in my Scout for 6 years and 40,000 miles without a single issue.

John Stricker

Originally posted by fieroluv:

that is one saweet ride you got there John. But I have to ask. I've been dying to find someone else who has that same instrument cluster as me. Do you have any problems with it?

I have had more problems with that instrument cluster than any other part of the car. I am pulling my hair out over this. I'll be driving down the road and the speedometer part will just start freaking out and then just go blank and won't come back on until I shut the car off and turn it back on. Also the gas gauge when full will read 99 and stay at 99 till I shut the car off even if I were to run it out of gas. Now if I fill it up it reads 99 then I drive it a block and shut the car off and turn it back on it will read 45 and that is actually what I consider a full reading. It will never go above 45 until I fill it up again. It will just go down from there. 2 is a completely empty tank. I have tried all 3 settings on the gauge panel and this one is the closest. And last but not least the water temp is always about 30 degrees off. Verified with a mechanical gauge. I have had three different senders in this thing all from the manufacturer. Same with the speed sensor. I'm lost.

red84sematt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red84semattSend a Private Message to red84semattDirect Link to This Post
all i can say is congrats to you John and howmany installments will it be. lol, really great job though
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I have a finance plan just right for you. 100% down, nothing ever again. The down payment is a real PITA, but the payments are GREAT.

John Stricker

Originally posted by red84sematt:

all i can say is congrats to you John and howmany installments will it be. lol, really great job though

fieroluv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2007 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
I guess I should have said this isn't on my fiero, it's on my van, which before I swapped it out the fuel gauge worked perfectly.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2007 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
WOW JOHN! That is amazing! You did a really nice job and I am truly impressed. I'm sure I'll see you (and the car?) at the 25th, right?

Take care.

------------------
Paul

Pontiac prestiege.... Pontiac performance...... Pontiac POWER!
HHP Is back in business! Now selling Adjustable Sway bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html
For a full history of the Fiero SS: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock