Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Turning the fiero into a racing machine... (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Turning the fiero into a racing machine... by ryan.hess
Started on: 12-27-2004 04:39 PM
Replies: 278
Last post by: ryan.hess on 05-07-2006 10:43 AM
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great! I hope Fiero performance enthusiasts are paying attention.

What diameter did you use for the tires?

Last question (For now )
What do you have for the hub width? (Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface - right?)

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-16-2005).]

IP: Logged
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
24 inch tire, 61 inch hub to hub.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Ok, this is cool. C5 front suspension geometry will fit into Fiero. Upper A-arms are almost 8 inches long. Steering is Mustang 2 with zero bump, RC is two inches, rim width is 8.5, ground clearance is 4 inches.

Spindles have two existing holes to bolt on a new steering arm. A wheel wider than this could probably be used because the pivot point is moved outward.

I assume this will require a custom cross member (which really is the easier part of suspension design/build)

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by ricreatr:

ohhh yeah, theres some progress! i aint tryin that in wood though!! i like A alot.

what are your plans for hubs? i can see eight of them on the bench from here, and they all require a hole in the mounting plate for the "rest" of the bearing to protrude through?

yeah the bearing plate would be cut and drilled to fit the bolt on hubs

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
so, gusshotrod, what is the next step?
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I need to firm up the design and source the shocks. I'm trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible and still work well. Do you think people would want to spend the extra money for coil overs or would want to use their existing springs with an aftermarket shock?
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
DUUUUHHHH, coilover!!!!!!!!

id much rather get the fiero rack to work than not spend money on coilovers. doing all this, wont everyone want coilovers?

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
If it's at all possible, I would say both. Bolt-in spring/shock mounts that would allow one to pop for the crossmember and Vette stuff and enjoy the fruits of his or her labor while they recover and save for a really great set of double-adj coilovers.

If not, probably the coil-overs. This is really meant for performance junkies, and it should be worth it for them to wait and save up the additional cash if necessary, to have great handling.

The MII rack is really cheap, so that shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-17-2005).]

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
ohh, your too nice to us
my next option is $2200 for the slalom stuff.

mustang ii rack- summit has a 3.75 one for 200. and a "quick" one for $430!? ?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
I would say just hop in with the coilovers.. with a cheap set option and a top rate option

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 02-17-2005).]

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
i hope you didnt leave your work in the shop just to read this, but how's the work on that all new aluminum subframe coming!?
PFF
System Bot
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry about the speed of the mustang rack. This will be adjusted with the steering arms. It will be quick and the option is there for power steering if you want it. There's a gazillion of these in salvage yards you can get cheap. I also found a way to use cheaper lower ball joints that will save $200 and make fab of the lower a-arms easier. I made some bolt on steering arms in another thread which were pretty easy. I guess we go with the coil-over option only. I think I'll play around with a rear cradle design that would bolt in using double wishbones in place of the strut.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
well im a little emberassed that i didnt notice the author of my other favorite thread "Building a tube frame fiero". i guess gusshotrod is really really REALLY busy, so i should cut him some slack.

yeah!, on the rear upper a arms, ive wanted to do this for years. no bump steer!

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
i was trying to find c6 corvette measurements to see about locating that setup, and i found this info on "Z" and "D" height. thought this would help determine the correct angle (acording to gm) for the lower arms. then i saw that it is the same for 05 and 04. so here is the info if it helps.
front

rear

[This message has been edited by ricreatr (edited 02-25-2005).]

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
this is c4 on i believe an old camaro subframe.
doesnt look like very impressive scrub settings
the steering arm has been cut off, and a new added.
is the ackerman right? i thought the arm was supposed to point in, not out?
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Imagine a line through the upper and lower ball joints. Now imagine another line from the center of the rear end and intersecting the first line. The steering tie rod end should be one that line. It will be farther out if the car is front steer and in if it's rear steer. The rack location on this car also adds ackerman as it is behind the outer tie rods, with the arms angled forward.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
One note on coil overs vs. the Vette's composite leaf... GM tunes the leaf by adjusting the location of the pivots that anchor the leaf to the chassis. A custom bracket to make adjustable mounts for the leaf would allow adjustment in spring rate and roll rate. With a small adjustable anti-sway bar, you'd get more adjujstability out of the leaf than out of a set of coil overs. Ride height adjusts via the points where the leaf anchors to the control arm.

If my new job comes through... I've had my eye on a C5 down the way a little bit for a while now...

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Continue...

------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ricreatr:

some serious anti-dive in that

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's C4 hardware.
Note the square bolt pattern on the hub cartridge. C5's use round pattern to bolt to upright.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Just keeping it out of the archives...

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

PFF
System Bot
GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
Updates???

Bump.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
maybe some slow progress,

i can get 98 vette suspension for $750. i know it isnt a rippoff, but is it something i just cant pass up?
front. control arms, knuckles, hubs, rotors, and calipers.

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming you're planning to make a crossmember to retrofit it into your Fiero? This would be the point where blueprints could be developed for others to do the same...

------------------

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
yeah, that is what i was thinking.
so should i go for it at $750? i am not exactly in the middle of this project yet.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert on vette part prices, but it sounds like a great deal to me. I think I would buy it, if the parts are in good condition.

------------------

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
score! got some off of ebay, cheap. (thanks gusshotrods!)
now what to do next . . .
Fiero GTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2006 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero GTPSend a Private Message to Fiero GTPDirect Link to This Post
Bump
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
B U M P E T Y B U M P
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2006 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
Any progress? You bought the vette suspension? Any pictures?
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, guys, nothing from me. i have a big block boat project taking up all my time and money
i was hoping to get more progress from the big dogs.
for $125 i got hubs, knuckles, and upper arms. i am still looking for lowers, then the work starts.
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
No progress here either. Actually, after hundreds of hours of research I came to the conclusion that building the kind of performance I want in a Fiero is just too expensive. I may come back to this idea later, but for now I have to chase my performance goals in a different platform. My Fiero project has digressed into a nice, gas-sipping, little cruiser

------------------

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
dang, "help us obi-wan, you are our only hope"
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
The weak link is the transmission. I am not even convinced that the mega-dollar 4T65E race tranny that GM is using is the solution for a street-driven race car like I want. The attached string is always "if you drive it like you have some sense...", but that's my whole point - I want a car that I can drive like I don't have any sense

I do have some ideas for unlimited, unbreakable, drivetrain setups, but have yet to find a way to do it without spending five figures. I was even willing to justify that, until I compared it to building a conventional front-engine/rear-drive car.

Other than that the potential to build a Fiero that will out handle almost anything you'd come across, short of a real modern race car, is definitely there. C5 suspension systems turn old muscle cars into awesome sports cars, so I can only imagine what it would be like in a mid-engine, relatively lightweight, format.

I haven't completely ruled it out, just put it on simmer, on the back burner. I would be interested in experiencing it through someone else's baank account though I have hundreds of hours of research, one completely dissected Fiero, one partially dissected Fiero, one stripped parts car, and one guinea pig Fiero's worth of experience, and a boat load of ideas to contribute.

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 05-05-2006).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Just pay the 200# weight penalty of the 4t80e. 500hp capable for $150 on ebay.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Even with the 4T80E it would take a person with enough money and desire to take a Fiero to its limits. The goal woiuld have to be finding the limits of the Fiero. I want to find MY limits

It's the experience of a lo-9/hi-8 second pass, a 200+mph sprint across the sand, or exiting a 1.2g corner and looking forward to the next one - not the fact that I did it in a "whatchamacallit".
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Aren't/weren't you building a tube frame fiero like Guss? The trick to any of those feats (without having to sell the farm) is light weight. Hell, build a 1000cc gixxer cart. When you're done with your heart attack on wheels, we'll be waiting for you...
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
Aren't/weren't you building a tube frame fiero like Guss?...

Close but you ain't smokin' the cigar. My project was to be based on a factory space frame cut down to its bare minimum, and combined with a LOT of tubular stuff. Every bit as radical, but a different approach.

...The trick to any of those feats (without having to sell the farm) is light weight. Hell, build a 1000cc gixxer cart...

Lightweight or a lot of nitrous. I actually prefer a combination of the two. Losing weight is only inexpensive to a point. After a certain point you begin to pay dearly for each pound. At that point, nitrous becomes the best solution. Building big power properly with it isn't exactly cheap either but it is the most cost efficient route. I also happen to love the whole concept.

The cart wouldn't do it for me, though I am sure it would be one heck of a rush. I want to do it in a car. A Fiero is my limit on how small I would go.

...When you're done with your heart attack on wheels, we'll be waiting for you...

I think of it being more like rubbing those two paddles together and bringing my heart back to life. I stopped drag racing motorcycles about ten years ago, and I need something to get my blood flowing again. I wobbled at about 105mph and had an epiphany - I could have just as much fun in life with a slow bike and a fast, roll cage-equipped, car Since then maturity and responsibility keep getting in the way of my "cardio" workouts

Related subject: What ever became of your transmission controllers?

------------------

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:
I think of it being more like rubbing those two paddles together and bringing my heart back to life. I stopped drag racing motorcycles about ten years ago, and I need something to get my blood flowing again. I wobbled at about 105mph and had an epiphany - I could have just as much fun in life with a slow bike and a fast, roll cage-equipped, car Since then maturity and responsibility keep getting in the way of my "cardio" workouts

Related subject: What ever became of your transmission controllers?

If I ever get rich, I think I'd have to build a race track on some farm land. But then when I think about it, I think I'd rather sell the fiero and just buy a decommissioned MIG.

I stopped building the transmission controllers. Still running the one in my car though.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock