Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) by PBJ
Started on: 12-15-2004 07:29 PM
Replies: 272
Last post by: Saber49 on 01-29-2006 11:58 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
it could easily leak oil into the intake throught the compressor side shaft seal, or out the turbine side ring seal. Try taking off the turbo and jumping out it's exhaust path with an elbow.

I would most definately check into this ^^^

Even the best built turbos have been known to have a bad seal...

IP: Logged
WikedV6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WikedV6Send a Private Message to WikedV6Direct Link to This Post
How big is your oil drain line from the turbo? is the center section leveled straight up and down or is it in an angle? Where is the turbo drains to, There is a possibility that if the turbo does not draining properly, it will blow it out through the exh/intake seals. If you drove the donar car home and didn't smoke, it is more than likely the turbo setup.

HTH

Prasad

------------------
"Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alchohol in the mix they'll rock your world"
1986 GT (waiting for Buick GN setup trasplant)
1984SE 5 Speed W/SBC V8
1987 Buick GN(10.70@124MPH)
1987 Trans Am SBC 355cid Twin Turbo(no track times yet)
1992 GMC Typhoon(13.20@ 99mph)
Other cars; JaguarXJR & Mercedes AMG 500SEC

[This message has been edited by WikedV6 (edited 05-12-2005).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advise and replies. I removed the turbo and found it is not the turbo causing the smoke. It may be because of siezed rings from the engine sitting or worn out rings in combination with advanced intake timing. Or just as others have found that these engine seam to smoke a fair bit if tuning is off, but we are dealing with alot of smoke here. Anyways. holidays have started and the car will sit in the garage for 2 weeks.

Pete

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about the trouble pete... best of luck getting it ready to go... if anyone can do it... you certainily can . good luck!
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Old engine out, During our holidays down in PA with Rockcrawl we kept busy.

Turns out the smoke problem was the turbo oil seal on the exhaust side. Once we restricted the turbo oil feed psi from 80 + psi to 25 psi we were smoke free.

The exhaust on a turbo car ends up like a piece of abstract art.

New engine in and car at Carlisle.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 05-27-2005).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We got the 2nd Holley Commander 950 from CHRFAB yesterday and plugged it in and started tuning. What a difference! This unit actually makes a noticable difference when we change a setting. The original HC950 seemed to be unresponsive to everything until it died after 2 weeks of aggrivating us. Long story short, after an evening of tuning with Spearce, we now have the car completly driveable and ready for a base run down the 1/4 mile track. Our plan is saturday to run it down the strip. I am only hoping to match the 4.9 turbo's records at this time but the slip will tell us where we are at. The setup can now be take to a dyno for tuning on its own power and not on a trailer

Pete

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Pete, are you planning on running any type of intercooler?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
At this time no. Because I was only planning on running 3 psi pressure. But after tonight I am re thinking my max boost pressure. I would like to run more boost because this engine is taking 3 psi without a complaint. So you will likely see an intercooler and boost increase down the road.

Pete

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2005 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Look forward to seeing some 1/4 times. You can also use water/meth injection for when you turn up the psi. It would be easier than plumbing an intercooler in a fiero imo. Heck, run a 30 shot of nitrous, it will cool the intake charge as well as giving you a boost in hp.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2005 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
so _how does it feel?_
thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Nice going Pete glad you got everything straightened out.

Becky must be in heaven now that she can drive her car again.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:
But after tonight I am re thinking my max boost pressure.
Pete

Ha! that didnt take long at all!

All joking aside, this is a great thread, and super job getting that thing all in there. Congrats.

--Allen

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
See you there tomorow night, I plan on coming out to St. Thomas with a few GrandsOnatario members.

Any advice on how to turbo charge a 3400?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We ran it down the track 6 times tonight. at 2.9 psi boost. We are running aaron88's HC950 maps modified to best suit our HC950 Pro version. Any ways, no one likes excuses but the times are a bit better than what I thought but worse then I hoped. Remember the whole set up has not been running yet for a full two 2 days and its longest trip was the trip to the track, so go easy on me, ehh. There is quite obviously more tuning required, but this now gives us a base line to start with.

Pete

Ohh forgot to mention we were car number 533

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 07-09-2005).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2005 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Good going Pete! Nice to see her on the road! How does she sound compaired to the 4.9?
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2005 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Most important thing Pete it is running and will tale some sorting out but knowing you it will get there
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2005 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eclipse:

How does she sound compaired to the 4.9?

It sounds absolutely awesome! It has the distinct V8 sound with a whistle from the turbo all the time while driving. You can really hear the turbo working away - it whistles when you are just cruising down the road. Which is what we wanted this time - no lag. The car pulls hard like the 4.9 always did but there is no having to spool up the turbo like we had to do before. It pulls hard all the way through each shift. I'm getting excited to see what we can get out of this beast!

Becky

86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2005 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
have been waiting for some updates for long. finally they're here. looking forward to see what you will get out of the engine. I am thinking about "copying" your project, when time and money permits, and im done with the garage.

keep up the good work.

Hans

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The plan is to get it back to the track tonight and get Beck back in the drivers seat to see what this girls car can do! 4.5 psi boost tonight along with a few other changes.

Pete

------------------

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. There are very few threads I check on anymore, and this is one of them. Can't wait to see how it does.

Brad

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Coool looks fun

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-22-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
12.600 @108 mph.

We did not get into tunning like we wanted. There was an accident at the track involving our oldest son and a motorcyle. He is ok, the bike is not, but it pretty much cancelled the night before it started. To top it off, the owner/driver of the bike thinks I need to pay for the repairs to his bike.

Pete

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
I see a new record coming soon. You must let Becky take the car down the track all the time, she seems to get the better times compared to your runs. Hope Jordan is fine and tell the bike owner to go f__k himself.

------------------

86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
keep it comming. nice times. how does the engine take the boost? are you gonna go higher on the boost? 5 - 6 PSI?
was it not tuned right and still made a 12.6 sec pass?

gotta keep this going

hans

back to the top!

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
We need a video or atleast a sound clip!
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

12.600 @108 mph.

We did not get into tunning like we wanted.
Pete

Pete slowly but shurly, you'll get to where you want to be. So far it's looking good, keep up the good work.

Thanks
Joe

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The car is a bit disassembled, we have a big fiero show and drag race day coming up on Aug 13th www.fieros.ca so we are preparing for it. I hope to soon get some footage to post but I am not exactly impressed yet with the 12.6 in the 1/4. We have had no time for tuning of the car's ecm because of other projects on other peoples cars. It would be great if you came out and could see it in action at the show and on the track this 13th.

As for an update for those following along, the area of redesign right now for the N* turbo is the turbo cooling, it is not getting sufficient coolant flow at low rpm causing the coolant to boil and creating air in the system. We have a few ideas and now I just need the time to get at it.

Pete

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

As for an update for those following along, the area of redesign right now for the N* turbo is the turbo cooling, it is not getting sufficient coolant flow at low rpm causing the coolant to boil and creating air in the system. We have a few ideas and now I just need the time to get at it.

Pete

How's your tensioner? Sometimes they get rusted/gummed up at the pivot point, and that causes the belt to slip and wear.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

How's your tensioner? Sometimes they get rusted/gummed up at the pivot point, and that causes the belt to slip and wear.

The engine has only 1000 miles on it so no worries of gumming up for a while. As for the boost, it's taking the 5 psi very well so likely we'll bump it up.

Pete

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering what you did to restrict the oil feed, can you go into that a bit?
Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I'm wondering what you did to restrict the oil feed, can you go into that a bit?

bump cause i'm curious too

-Coop

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
generally a good idea to put an oil restrictor on the turbo feed line - mine has a 1/16" hole for the oil to pass through to the turbo
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The fitting bolted to the turbo oil inlet was modified. We pressed in a sleeve/plug and then drilled it out to a 0.065" hole. This repair for excessive oil feed pressure can be found in the Maximum Boost book. Hopefully this answered your question.

Pete

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Her86GT:

It sounds absolutely awesome! It has the distinct V8 sound with a whistle from the turbo all the time while driving. You can really hear the turbo working away - it whistles when you are just cruising down the road. Which is what we wanted this time - no lag. The car pulls hard like the 4.9 always did but there is no having to spool up the turbo like we had to do before. It pulls hard all the way through each shift. I'm getting excited to see what we can get out of this beast!

Becky

So the turbos on all of the time, huh? Is there any difference in gas mileage? Nice thread.

3.8T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8TClick Here to visit 3.8T's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3.8TDirect Link to This Post
nice work pete, glad to see its coming together and youre getting some baseline runs in....things are never perfect and were never REALLYdone modding/tuning, so no worries, just give it time.

do u have HP numbers?
the 12.6 is pretty darn good for not being all done yet....damn, looks like i better get to tuning as well, lol.
btw, i got my exhaust cutout back on and the intercooler is workin properly again
im ready when u are lol.

(I hope to head to Cayuga soon for the coming weekends, lemme know if u guys are heading up sometime. im doing tuning/dyno hopefully this weekend).

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Haven't heard anything since 12.6 on 4.5 lbs. Anything new?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Anything new?

We have been having trouble with air in the cooling system and the engine would not stay cool going the the track, and was much worse coming home from the track the night we did the 12.6. Turns out we have a blown head gasket on our second engine. Unfortunatly this will finish the car for the year, as it sits now the engine is out and the car is already in storage

Now worries, bigger, better, and faster next year

Pete

------------------

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Well here is the news.

The Northstar and Holley Commander 950 has been sold.

The custom exhaust manifolds, Turbo Y pipe, and Tial 46 mm waste gate including all exhaust components are forsale. The modified coolant crossover to use a 4T60 trans is forsale. Modified 85-87 cradle for N* is forsale.

Let me know if you are interested.

Pete

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
so does this mean your not going to continue with a turbo northstar?

are you going another route?

more info needed

matthew

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
so whats going to be next years "bigger better faster" ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock