Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) by PBJ
Started on: 12-15-2004 07:29 PM
Replies: 272
Last post by: Saber49 on 01-29-2006 11:58 PM
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
some updated pics.

Pete

IP: Logged
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

That is a beee you tee full site!! OK, spill the beans, will it fit, you did a test fit right....

moto838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for moto838Send a Private Message to moto838Direct Link to This Post
wow!!!
gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Direct Link to This Post
It's coming along great Pete. That's going to one great ride! I can just see Becky going down the track at St. Thomas this summer smoking out another vette with a sub 11 run and you with a big grin from ear to ear!
Gene
Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
thats amazing pete... another amazing feat of engineering... and its so pretty at the same time haha. good stuff.

------------------

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Look what showed up today! I'm going to be busy for the next while.

Pete

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What's that about "Open loop" on the back of the ECM?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The ecm is set for open loop untill after tuning is done.

The turbo manifold is done to the turbo

46mm Tial external waste gate.

Blow off valve.

And look, an empty engine bay to put it all in.

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2005 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I've got that exact same BOV You're going to need a pretty big wastegate to run 5psi through a T4 with a 4.6L engine! Hopefully that TiAL will treat you right. Good luck!
-- Bryson
stroker54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stroker54Send a Private Message to stroker54Direct Link to This Post
just wandering how much they past it at the border , full value or lowered to have an idea how mch it cost's once delivered in canadian dollars
i'm actually considering the megajolt combined to the megasquirt kit to start my 98 northstar
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The Holley Commander 950 cost me $1518.00 including shipping. Which in Canadian dollars is

$1918.91

Then the Canadian government and UPS wanted thier piece.

$358.61

Now Beck wanted a nice newer Laptop to run it.

$450.00

The look on the boys face when she wups them in the 1/4 mile.....priceless

Pete

PFF
System Bot
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

The Holley Commander 950 cost me $1518.00 including shipping. Which in Canadian dollars is

$1918.91

Then the Canadian government and UPS wanted thier piece.

$358.61

Now Beck wanted a nice newer Laptop to run it.

$450.00

The look on the boys face when she wups them in the 1/4 mile.....priceless

Pete

Dam that thing looks good... I'm going to a VW R32 Show today and there is one car that dyno'd yesterday that had 630 HP at the wheels. I would hope your N* should make that. Time for a Roll cage and 4 point harness.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Picture update.

External waste gate added to the turbo manifold.

Engine mount, Yes it is solid mounted on all 4 corners.

In it goes.

Here we have a turbo N* fiero.

Pete

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
stroker54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stroker54Send a Private Message to stroker54Direct Link to This Post
thank's pete
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Lookin good! Would look better in my car tho.

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
87 4 cyl 5 speed coupe
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

is that the dump tube??

Yes, the smaller tube coming off just before the turbo flange goes to the external wastegate. We are hoping to have the exhaust done today.

Pete

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Pete!
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
OMG this swap is taking forever........stupid turbo plumbing!

Soon.. soon. For all those who have pm'd with assorted none related questions, tommarow

Pete

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Why aren't you mounting the wastegate right on the manifold/Ypipe???
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2005 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Why aren't you mounting the wastegate right on the manifold/Ypipe???

The lower trunk was removed for the last engine swap so since we had a ton of space there and a lack of space under the hood, as well as additional heat, we decided to get the wastegate out of the way. It still ports off at the turbo flange.

Pete

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2005 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pete the project is looking real good, as usual lurking in the background watching your progress.
Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
Pete do you think it will be ready by next Sunday for the meet?

------------------

"I feel the need........"

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Tabs. Yes I think it will be ready, I also thought I would be done it by now

Pete

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Looking good.
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
that is going to be so cool!

------------------

88gt build up! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047402.html

http://www.iamanascarfan.com/

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Now that is one sweet engine. I like the Turbo exhaust design.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 05-04-2005).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Where'd you get that small expansion joint? I looked but did not see where you posted. I'm very interested, thanks!

Bryce
88 GT

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We purchased the expansion/flex joint at the local parts supply store (Can-Usa)

The car is now out of the shop and requires tunning of the Holley Commander.

Pete

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Oh MAN that's gonna be fast! Are you planning on being at Carlisle?

Rick

PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

We purchased the expansion/flex joint at the local parts supply store (Can-Usa)

The car is now out of the shop and requires tunning of the Holley Commander.

Pete

Please keep us posted on any issues you have with exhaust leaks, I'm curious how well those will hold up to such a harsh environment. Did you happen to see a brand name anywhere on them? I've never seen them (such short ones) before at any parts store I've been to.

Bryce
88 GT

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Pete!

I can't remember if I told you, but I was visiting my family doctor not long ago and we got talking about my Fiero. He often goes to the track and he mentioned getting his butt kicked by "a woman driving an orange fiero with crazy-ass horsepower". Does this sound like anyone we know??? :}

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Owner / Design Lead - WordMark.ca Communications

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Well here is an update. The car is back together and tuning the Holley Commander was started. We have called off the tuning because of excessive blue smoke. It is burning oil like crazy. We have only been able to enjoy an intermittent idle and a few first gear tours around the parking lot. We have not even been able to think about running the engine under boost. So basically we have a V8 DOHC turbo charged mosquito repeller Right now I do not have the time to work on this vehicle. It is time for me to concentrate on other peoples projects. So those looking forward to seeing this car cruising or at Carlisle, not this year, sorry.

As for the engine we all knew it was a risk to use a 300 000 km engine, but since I was able to drive the donor caddy to test this is a bit of a surprise. All I really wanted this engine for was to test and tune and then rebuild or replace so really it is not an unexpected set back, just a disappointment.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 05-11-2005).]

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Hmm
whatdd'ya think it is Pete?

Sleeves? Or Valves?

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I hope, before you abandon the engine you have, that you take a serious look at the turbo as a likley sourse of your blue smoke problem. Its the one thing you changed on the engine, and it all the sudden smokes, and it could easily leak oil into the intake throught the compressor side shaft seal, or out the turbine side ring seal. Try taking off the turbo and jumping out it's exhaust path with an elbow.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2005 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post

Well here is an update. The car is back together and tuning the Holley Commander was started. We have called off the tuning because of excessive blue smoke. It is burning oil like crazy. We have only been able to enjoy an intermittent idle and a few first gear tours around the parking lot. We have not even been able to think about running the engine under boost. So basically we have a V8 DOHC turbo charged mosquito repeller Right now I do not have the time to work on this vehicle. It is time for me to concentrate on other peoples projects. So those looking forward to seeing this car cruising or at Carlisle, not this year, sorry.

As for the engine we all knew it was a risk to use a 300 000 km engine, but since I was able to drive the donor caddy to test this is a bit of a surprise. All I really wanted this engine for was to test and tune and then rebuild or replace so really it is not an unexpected set back, just a disappointment.

Pete

You can't give up the fight take a break plan your next move then go

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 05-12-2005).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I have not yet given up, just have other fiero projects that require my attention for now. I have removed the turbo to intake air pipe and inspected it for oil and it is not the cause of the smoke. I guess there is a chance the oil is leaking past the exhaust side of the turbo and is burning in the exhaust pipes. It will idle clear but once you rev it up and smoke just starts pouring out, you let it idle down and it clears out after a few seconds. I feel it is piston/rings/sleeves that are causing my concern. I will spend some time today to determain the problem. It was not till sometime last night that I was convinced that poor tuning of the fuel map was no longer the cause of the smoke.

Pete

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear the bad luck Pete. The engine and install looked great. (I got the personal view of it both out and installed)

I've had the occassional setback too on my build;(

Anyway, there is nobody better to solve the problem. Good luck Pete.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 05-12-2005).]

Pink_Ninja

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2005 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pink_NinjaSend a Private Message to Pink_NinjaDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you are gonna make some more of those T4 flanges with the two pipes feeding into it? I would love one of yours as opposed to building my own.

I have the flange, all i want is the two pipes feeding into it.

Any chance i can send you my flange and for a price you weld the pipes on? Not the complete crossover but like the one pic you have.

[This message has been edited by Pink_Ninja (edited 05-12-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock