Started on: 02-11-2003 12:40 AM
Replies: 231
Last post by: 88GTFormula on 04-23-2006 09:58 PM
USFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Shortening the shifter is easy. You can pull the plastic shaft out and cut it down/glue it. Cut the shifter arm the same length down and cut/file the arm to the same length. Cut mine down just over an inch. Subtle, and now I can put CDs in my Pioneer when in park

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

IP: Logged
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
Panama Jack/Haagster - what yard do you go to? i might have to take a trip out your way in the near future
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RenMan187:
You can use the overhead console from a Grand Am, also, as long as you don't mind modifying the headliner. I used one so that I could have a nice, neat driving light switch that looked stock.

What year grand ams? Got any pics?

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Panama Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Panama JackSend a Private Message to Panama JackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by derangedsheep:

Panama Jack/Haagster - what yard do you go to? i might have to take a trip out your way in the near future

Carlisle Auto Salvage on Gasoline Alley. Their prices are pretty decent (ask foxgapfiero). - even a little better when you spend over $900 on parts for an upcoming project

[This message has been edited by Panama Jack (edited 07-30-2003).]

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
bump..
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Shortening the shifter is easy. You can pull the plastic shaft out and cut it down/glue it. Cut the shifter arm the same length down and cut/file the arm to the same length. Cut mine down just over an inch. Subtle, and now I can put CDs in my Pioneer when in park

If you cut the shifter down this way it normally makes it hard to shift. Plus, unless you thread the top of the shaft, you have to use one of those shifter knobs that holds on with a set screw that never seems to hold...

The best way to shorten a shifter is to take it out and shorten it from the bottom. Just grind off the welds that hold the arm to the bracket, cut the shifter off where you want it and weld it back into the bracket. Very simple...

My Formula had a shifter in it that had been cut off at the top when I bought it. The guy told me that either the clutch was going out of the shift cables were bad because the car would hardly shift. I took the shifter out of my parts car and shortened it the right way and it shifts like a dream. No clutch or cable problems after all.

jlhuber

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jlhuberSend a Private Message to jlhuberDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

If you cut the shifter down this way it normally makes it hard to shift. Plus, unless you thread the top of the shaft, you have to use one of those shifter knobs that holds on with a set screw that never seems to hold...

The best way to shorten a shifter is to take it out and shorten it from the bottom. Just grind off the welds that hold the arm to the bracket, cut the shifter off where you want it and weld it back into the bracket. Very simple...

My Formula had a shifter in it that had been cut off at the top when I bought it. The guy told me that either the clutch was going out of the shift cables were bad because the car would hardly shift. I took the shifter out of my parts car and shortened it the right way and it shifts like a dream. No clutch or cable problems after all.

The original post that spawned the above quote was for automatics, not manuals.

FieroAudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAudioSend a Private Message to FieroAudioDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Yes, it's very easy...i did mine with a pipe cutter and a file...looks fine, works even better, lol

I got annoyed by how high the shifter was, and I had boughten an aftermarket rice-type shift knob...

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
anyone add anything..???
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Someone has to know more...
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
What about the HUD units from other Pontiac cars. I know theres another thread going on about it and its a little more than a "bolt-on" but its scrap yard fun and they'd look incredible.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
The Sunbird hood vents are the same part as the Firebird vents.

The Fiero upper plenum will not bolt onto the aluminium head lower intake.

Speedos, could be pulled from any Pontiac (to keep the same illumination colour) that uses an electronic signal, such as the Sunbird, from '87 to '94, you will have to make sure Sunbirds from '87 to '91 have the electronic speedo, some base models, although rare, use cable driven speedos, GTs use electronic. '87 Sunbirds have 190 Km/h (115 MPH?), while the '88 ('89 for sure) and up GTs use a 200 Km/h speedo (120 MPH).

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

What about the HUD units from other Pontiac cars. I know theres another thread going on about it and its a little more than a "bolt-on" but its scrap yard fun and they'd look incredible.

The Bonneville HUDs are electrically bolt on...but if you have the stock "pod" dash you are going to be hardpressed to install it without significant modification to either the HUD or the dash.

bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
You can use the cavalier rotors on the front of the 88's as well as the rear if you have the hub/wheel-bearing machined to the size of the rotor. I have seen jelly2m8's set up and will use it my self if I need to replace the rotors. $20 cavalier conpare to $100+ for fiero.
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
bump. keep this thread going!
Muddy2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Muddy2Click Here to visit Muddy2's HomePageSend a Private Message to Muddy2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bamman:

You can use the cavalier rotors on the front of the 88's as well as the rear if you have the hub/wheel-bearing machined to the size of the rotor. I have seen jelly2m8's set up and will use it my self if I need to replace the rotors. $20 cavalier conpare to $100+ for fiero.

I thought the '88 rotors were the same all the way around?

------------------
Ray - rturner@fieronews.com
The Ultimate Fiero Site - FieroNews.com - The Wrestling Net

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Raven:
Speedos, could be pulled from any Pontiac (to keep the same illumination colour) that uses an electronic signal, such as the Sunbird, from '87 to '94, you will have to make sure Sunbirds from '87 to '91 have the electronic speedo, some base models, although rare, use cable driven speedos, GTs use electronic. '87 Sunbirds have 190 Km/h (115 MPH?), while the '88 ('89 for sure) and up GTs use a 200 Km/h speedo (120 MPH).

Any of those just 'Plug/n/Play??

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2003 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
bumpo
AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2003 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post
Where do you guys go to find those parts? Car-part.com doesn't really list interior parts....

And does anyone know if the sunbirds shifter will fit? It looks just like the Fieros shifter!

bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
One more for the rim list. PT Cruiser.
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AznFiero:

Where do you guys go to find those parts? Car-part.com doesn't really list interior parts....

And does anyone know if the sunbirds shifter will fit? It looks just like the Fieros shifter!

The JunkYard's any where close... It's fun!! It's relaxing for me to go and just look around and think....

Yes, I believe they fit.. I may be wrong though... lol

PFF
System Bot
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
This is some good stuff. Any chance one of you computer wizzes could put all this info on a spread sheet. Maybe list as interior, exterior etc.
AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:

The JunkYard's any where close... It's fun!! It's relaxing for me to go and just look around and think....

Yes, I believe they fit.. I may be wrong though... lol

Maybe a camaro shifter?

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Maybe a camaro shifter?

I will look.. What year are you looking for??

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Smoooooth GT

8823 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Maybe a camaro shifter?

I will look.. What year are you looking for??

AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post
Dunno, anything that resembles the ordinary fiero automatic shifter.
sennyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sennyGTSend a Private Message to sennyGTDirect Link to This Post
Will the digital guages out of the C4 fit in the fiero?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

bonzo:One more for the rim list. PT Cruiser.

Speaking of rim lists. Anyone have offsets for each rim listed below?

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

Wheels!

BUICK
SKYHAWK, SKYLARK, 88-UP
SOMERSET

CADILLAC
CIMARRON 81-88

CHEVY
BERETTA, CORSICA 87-97
GTU, GTZ, Z-26 89-97
CAVALIER 81-UP
Z24 89-UP
CELEBRITY 82-90
CITATION 80-85
X-11 81-85
MALIBU, CHEVELLE 97-UP

CHRYSLER
LEBARON 86-95
LASER, GTS 85-88
NEW YORKER 86-93
SEBRING CONVERTIBLE 96-UP

DODGE
ARIES, 400, 600 86-88
DAYTONA, TURBO Z 85-93
DYNASTY 88-93
LANCER 85-89
SHADOW 87-94
SPIRIT 89-94
STRATUS 95-UP

LEXUS
ES, 250 90-93

OLDSMOBILE
ACHIEVA 92-97
CUTLASS CALAIS, 82-89
CIERA, FIRENZA

PLYMOUTH
ACCLAIM 89-95
BREEZE 95-UP
CARAVELLE 85-88
LASER 85-89
RS, TURBO 85-89
NEON 5-LUG 95-99
RELIANT, TOURISMO 85-89
SUNDANCE 87-94

PONTIAC
6000, LE 82-90
FIERO, GT 84-88
GRANDAM 85-98
SE, GT 85-98
SUNBIRD, J2000 82-94
SUNFIRE GT 95-UP

TOYOTA
CAMRY 86-91
CELICA 92-UP

VOLKSWAGEN
BEETLE 99-UP
CORRADO VR6 92-93
JETTAIII (4CYL) 99-UP
JETTAIII VR6 93-UP
GLX VR6 92-98
GOLF 2000-UP

If the offset is not right the ineer clip on wheel weights may hit the rear struts!!

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

30+mpg:If the offset is not right the ineer clip on wheel weights may hit the rear struts!!

TYPO ALERT

That's "inner clip-on wheel weights"

bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2003 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
I put seats from a Comaro in mine. Swap the tracks and they bolt right in. I'll be shimming mine up in the front since they don't hold my skinny butt very well. They lower you down about an inch as well.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I went looking for the LeBaron sun visors today; found the Shadow/Sundance visors work just as well, although some fairly new ones are of a different design. The challenge is finding a pair that's still in good shape and the right color.

Finally found a Dodge Daytona, with really nice, clean visors, with built-in mirrors. Bought 'em, mounted them in the Fiero, and they look great. The color doesn't match the old visors or the headliner, but instead it matches the grey map light console almost perfectly. Looks great, and they seem to be a sturdier construction and will likely hold up much better than the stock ones.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2003 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Dunno, anything that resembles the ordinary fiero automatic shifter.

you have a PM...

------------------
SmoothGT!!
Custom Widebody GT!!
PostWhore of PFF!!

GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2003 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS1swap:

Speaking of sunfire... I remember some member putting sunfire seats in a Fiero. The question is.... Do any sunfires come with leather seats????

Why in the world would you want to ?. Sunfire seats are butt ugly, the stock fiero seats are far superior. Designed by Recaro apparently. If your seats look like crap just get them recovered. Doubt any sunfires ever came with leather but some beretta's did. They may bolt in.
Sunfire = cheap crap.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2003 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
No Berettas came with leather seats; you're thinking of the Corsica LTZ I believe, which did have leather.
bonzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Buump
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

THUD!!!

OUCH!!!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

wildbill86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill86gtSend a Private Message to wildbill86gtDirect Link to This Post
Knowone has looked at my thread (sseats on e-bay) they are caveler INDI seats.
AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey, did anyone know bonneville auto shifters fit in fieros too? They're real easy to find and generally in great shape. I got my vinyl one for free at the jk in mint shape!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock