Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  tempered glass for chop top doors (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
tempered glass for chop top doors by Jays 86
Started on: 09-19-2003 11:58 AM
Replies: 85
Last post by: joshua riedl on 08-29-2005 07:42 PM
Jays 86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
I did some checking aroud and found a place that could make tempered glass for the chop top doors its in Arkansas the only problem is they would be around 800-850$ EACH! the number is 1-800-543-8796 if any one is interested

(edit for state I think its right now )

[This message has been edited by Jays 86 (edited 09-19-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing, one would need to bring the car there? For that price they should be at your door. I need to call for a group discount?

------------------

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
they needed a CAD drawing or profile(curve of the glass and size)that price was just a general est since i didnt have all the info they needed
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I just got off the phone with Shawn @ the glass place, BWY its Clinton home town state not Arizona. Anyway he said the more ordered the cheaper the price (1/2). Example (2) chopped top cars (4) windows would only cost $400 (not $800). All that is needed is to ship the current lexan window(templet). He mentioned that it should be fixed so that the actual shape is maintained (maybe metal brackets). I forgot the thickness of the tempered glass but, its thicker than OEM glass. Question; What do you chop top owners think? Archie? or the other 7 people?

------------------

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
I wonder how much they would be if 10 sets got ordered? maybe Archie could stock up sorry about the state I looked at it quick
hopefully this will work out I think people would rather have glass then lexan
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Archie will get around to answering this thread, however I know for a fact that I will order a least (4) plus (2) more because of future accidents or criminal break-ins. It seem that thief(s) like to go shopping in the summer time. Btw, Shawn did state that the more windows that are bought, the cheaper the price ....so I don't think they will ever be $100 per window but, $200 sure would be sweeeeeet!
Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
looks like you're stocking up i'm glad I looked it up
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Way to go Jay, this is outstanding news ! I hope this works out !

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
I will take a set. just let me know where to send the money............

------------------

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I'll look into this next week. I've already been having ongoing discussions with a similar company in Indiana.

You have to remember that there is a difference between Tempered Glass and Tempered Safety Glass.

There are several places, in Elkhart, IN, that can provide Tempered curved glass. But it's not safety glass and breaks into long sword like pcs. like home window glass. They provide those windows to the RV industry for windows in motor homes.

Archie

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
this was temperd saftey glass they do one offs for old cars and such breaks in little pieces
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jays 86:

this was temperd saftey glass they do one offs for old cars and such breaks in little pieces

Very good, I'll look into it.

Archie

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

I will take a set. just let me know where to send the money............

talk to madcurl or archie i just looked it up so you guys could get some since i dont have a choptop(wish I did) maybe if one of you get a set you'll let me sit in yours and pretend it's mine for a little while?

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

talk to madcurl or archie i just looked it up so you guys could get some since i dont have a choptop(wish I did) maybe if one of you get a set you'll let me sit in yours and pretend it's mine for a little while?

Thanks...I'll stay posted for more news, and if you come down to Bloomington I'll let you do more than sit in a choptop.....I'll let you take one for a drive.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 09-20-2003).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Thanks...I'll stay posted for more news, and if you come down to Bloomington I'll let you do more than sit in a choptop.....I'll let you take one for a drive.

You know that is one of the nicest things I have read here in quite a while. DL10 in my book that is exactly what the rating system is for and you get a plus for you statement above. It may not seem like much but I feel that gesture was very generous of you. And Jays 86 you get a + just for taking the time to look out for other members, as you don't even own a choptop (neither do I for that matter ) And you took the time to post the info you found, for the others to see. Big tumbs up for you!
------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.
Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 09-20-2003).]

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post

That would be great, If its Bloomington IL
I'll try to get down there I'm just outside of Princeton
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie, what's the replacement cost for a Lexan side window? Why? Because,if I send Shawn one of my Lexan window and its messed up or this venue does not work I would need a replacement.
I have another question, I know that each chop are performed the same with minor perfection as needed, however (each)side Lexan glass are shaved to fit (each)car..right?. If this company can make the safety side window as a group will they (all) fit every chop past and future chops?
My last question is, Any thoughts on how I can maintain the exact fit during shipment to the glass shop?
I could use a fixed-bent piece of metal on the edge of the Lexan glass to maintain the shape.

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey Archie, what's the replacement cost for a Lexan side window? Why? Because,if I send Shawn one of my Lexan window and its messed up or this venue does not work I would need a replacement.
I have another question, I know that each chop are performed the same with minor perfection as needed, however (each)side Lexan glass are shaved to fit (each)car..right?. If this company can make the safety side window as a group will they (all) fit every chop past and future chops?
My last question is, Any thoughts on how I can maintain the exact fit during shipment to the glass shop?
I could use a fixed-bent piece of metal on the edge of the Lexan glass to maintain the shape.

Hey give me a couple of days, to get in touch with these people and see what they offer and what they might need.

I'm going to be on the road most of the day Monday but I'll call them Teusday and see if what they can do is any different than what I have found locally.

Archie

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2003 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
Any new info on this?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie, have you called these guys?
Question for Archie: is it better to work on the rear clip prior to getting the chop top? Is it easier to take the rear clip off after the chop? I have a few ideas that wanted to do before I send it to you. Curl
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Hey Archie, have you called these guys?
Question for Archie: is it better to work on the rear clip prior to getting the chop top? Is it easier to take the rear clip off after the chop? I have a few ideas that wanted to do before I send it to you. Curl

Yeah I've talked to them a couple of times and have sent pictures and drawings......they will be getting back to me Monday or so.

They still have to determine if they can make the variable radius curve that I need.

Do your work to the rear clip before it's chopped. After the chop you have to remove the 1/4 windows to remove a couple of screws before you can remove rear clip.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie, I talked to Brett, he wanted a sample of the Lexan window. He looked at the pics you sent, but he wanted to know if the actual Lexan window is the "true shape." (relationship to its curviture). He was wondering if it(Lexan) bends into the curviture of the car.
However, if the lexan window is "true" then all systems are a go.

------------------

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-26-2003).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Hey Archie, I talked to Brett, he wanted a sample of the Lexan window. He looked at the pics you sent, but he wanted to know if the actual Lexan window is the "true shape." (relationship to its curviture). He was wondering if it(Lexan) bends into the curviture of the car.
However, if the lexan window is "true" then all systems are a go.

This is going to get difficult, If Brian is going to communicate thru you to talk to me. He has my 800 number, my FAX number, My Cell number, My home number & my address. And he communicates thru you to get to me. I hope he sends the bill thru you too.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll hear from them by Monday or so.

Archie

They are supposed to send me the quote & specs of what they need via FAX.

Jays 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2003 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jays 86Send a Private Message to Jays 86Direct Link to This Post
bump
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2003 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Count me in for a set if this works out!!!
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2003 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in a set also
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
The windows were the only issue other than stress cracks on the rear clip that have formed on the GBCT. Resolve those issues with tempered glass and stronger material, and you'll have another customer for certain. I know you are swamped with business anyway, and aren't going to madly rush to fix those issue's so Mr. Greg can get his dream car. It's just an FYI for when you get around to it.

Greg

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

How did this all play out ?? Any news ?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I checked with Archie and he said that he sent them the Lexan windows but, so far no response from the glass shop.

------------------

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
I have had a vision. Behold:
I think this would be a give the choptop a added exotic touch and save money on the window. The top part of the window would be stationary. The bottom part, likely on the crease of the window would be the moving piece. This would make for 2 pieces of straight or close to straight glass. This is similar to the DMC DeLorean window, of course the window in a Delorean is like this because of the steep rake of the car which doesnt allow the entire window to retract into the door so only a small 4" portion does. It does little for cooling so you chop top guys better not skimp on the AC. Here is an example: http://www.delorean.org/dmc12_doors.asp
Just an idea.
-Matt
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Subaru SVX
PFF
System Bot
David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Black Widow:

I have had a vision. Behold:
I think this would be a give the choptop a added exotic touch and save money on the window. The top part of the window would be stationary. The bottom part, likely on the crease of the window would be the moving piece. This would make for 2 pieces of straight or close to straight glass. This is similar to the DMC DeLorean window, of course the window in a Delorean is like this because of the steep rake of the car which doesnt allow the entire window to retract into the door so only a small 4" portion does. It does little for cooling so you chop top guys better not skimp on the AC. Here is an example: http://www.delorean.org/dmc12_doors.asp
Just an idea.
-Matt

Great idea in principal, but the Fiero doesn't have any window frame to attach the upper glass too.

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
Well, the dream is dead. I didnt even think of that, Well, good try i guess.
-Matt
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
make youre own frame its pretty easy. Makes car harder to steal too.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Absolutely, make up frames.

Matt, I know you have a DeLorean in your garage. What we need to bring this vision to fruition is to study it's structure & mechanical workings of the door.

Seems I recall reading about a torsion bar taking up most of the load when opening the door. If I knew exactly how DeLorean did this, I'd be willing to see if we could do it within the confines of a Fiero.

I have a donor car. What we need is to de-upholster your DeLorean and take a look.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The Countach also has the split window design as well...

Tim

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
Well, De-upholstering the D is not likely. As I understand there is a Torsion bar for both doors. It actually does most of the actual lifting while the gas strut gives it the initial punch of energy. I will search around the web for more information. Also, I will ask my brother about it since he put the headliner in it and has seen all that stuff.
-Matt
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an update!!

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
So, who likes the idea of a Delorean Type or Countach type split window with the moving window being the lower half and the stationary peice being the top? I have CAD if anyone is interested I can take measurements and do some cad work....
The only real upside to this though, is you could use real glass instead of GE Lexan.
-Matt
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Well, what say you Sir?

Oh yeah, bumpdy, bump, bump.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay