Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  tempered glass for chop top doors (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
tempered glass for chop top doors by Jays 86
Started on: 09-19-2003 11:58 AM
Replies: 85
Last post by: joshua riedl on 08-29-2005 07:42 PM
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Any updates??

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY!
383 Stroker MPFI with NOS
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Any updates??

Not a lot yet. Today I just finished making up 3 sets of my original windows so that We have an accurate pattern to cut windows to. This week I have to take all 3 sets of them and fit them into a couple of cars to make sure they fit.

After all it would be a major problem if I had 20 sets of these made up and they only fit one car.

So we're working on it.

Archie

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
yeah baby, yeah! Just in time. hehe.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Archie, what's the waiting period on your chop top service? How long in advance should I make an appointment?
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Bump....

Actally I am interested in the status of Chop top kits........
Or the glass?

Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
Glass windows would be awesome! They would compliment the chop perfectly (NOT that Archie's chops NEED complimenting!)

------------------
Elvira
www.dirtyratracing.org
Blue 87GT 5sp (TruBlu)
Black 86GT 5sp (The Dirty Rat)
84 Indy-19k&300HP SD4!
Maroon 88 T-top Formula (1988-2003 RIP)
Gold 87GT junkyard rat!

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am interested to see how this turns out too. I would be surprised if it was possible because each chop top HAS to be slightly different, and I would think it would be quite difficult to make them all match. I hope it can work, but I never really minded the plex windows, they worked well for me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 01-23-2004).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

I am interested to see how this turns out too. I would be surprised if it was possible because each chop top HAS to be slightly different, and I would think it would be quite difficult to make them all match. I hope it can work, but I never really minded the plex windows, they worked well for me.

Well, the lexan windows are all made to be the same and they seem to be working fine. I've never heard anyone mention the lexan windows fitting improperly. Also keep in mind the windows butt against the rubber gasket, so the tolerances aren't that exacting. Surely Archie has a jig procedure for the chop tops, so they should be pretty repeatable.

Bryce
88 GT

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm......may have to try this again on my way back to Cali? Last time Mr. Blizzard was in my way, hehehehe.
Oh yeah, bump.
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened with this??

------------------

The Dirty Rat
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
2" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

What ever happened with this??

hehehehe.......I made a appointment that following Monday on my way from the Daytona show and well.........you already know what happen to my car.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

any word from your end?? I know you were in process on getting something done here but no updates?? Did it fall thru or just not a priority for you? I hate to be impatient but I want GLASS windows bad. And hell, if I have to do one off's, what's another $850 a piece for real glass windows at this point.. Just LMK what's up as I don't want to step on anyones toes...Same goes for you Curley - you KNOW I'm in for a set!

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
2" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm glad this subject came back up to the top, I wanted to update this several weeks ago but couldn't find it.

I have contour forms, perimeter outlines etc. all done for our windows. The cost to make up a lot run of the windows is not exactly cheap & one mistake in ordering that lot run would have me sitting on 10 or 15 sets of windows that no one wants (see below for explaination of why people might find that they don't want them). So caution is important at this point. Right now I'm looking for another source for this process. Resently I did a survey of my Chop Top customers to determine if I should sell a kit for Chop Tops. Virtually all of the Chop Top customers responded that they jumped on the Chop Top idea because it was so exclusive. Most of them aren't too excited about everybody & his brother having one. You can look t the resent Lambo door threads and see a good reason for those kinds of thoughts from the Chop Top owners.So there will be no Chop Top Kits from me for now. That makes sitting on 10 or 15 sets of windows even more likely.

Everybody gets all excited about things like this when they 1st come up. But considering the investment and the potential problems, the guy who is putting up the cash has to do the research to make sure it's going to work.

I've found that this Bent glass place makes glass that is about 1/16" inch thicker than the original Fiero glass. That don't sound like much but let me try to explain what that 1/16" means. Let me try to explain what that 1/16" means and why I'm holding up on this for now.

All of us have seen Stock Fieros with heavy Vertical scratches in the Glass side windows. Those scratches are caused by 2 pads welded into the doors on the outside right below the outer Dew Wipes. Those pads have some felt on them but are not adjustable and can't be removed because they are the pads that hold the window solid against the rubber seal around the door. Remove them & the window will leak.

So now we know what causes the heavy scratches on the stock glass side windows on Fieros. Now 3 more factors become involved in a Chop Top situation. #1 the side windows in my Chop Top have a lot more curve in them & thus will ride even harder against those outside pads & will be even more inclined to scratch. #2 Because the side window attaches to the outside of the window mechanism, that extra 1/16" of window thickness will make an extra 1/16" of pressure against those outside pads that cause the scratches on Stock Fiero windows. #3 Those that already have Chop Tops should know that because of the extra curvature of the side windows, right now when the window is rolled down it just barely clears the inside of the side impact door beam. With anymore curvature or window thickness a modification may have to be made to the door beam to keep it from scratching the window.

Yeah I know, it's kinda exciting when someone finds a web site for someone who says they can make this kind of item. But before someone jumps in there & buys 10 or 15 set, He has to do his own research.

If I would have went out and had 10 or 15 sets of these windows made and sent sets to Curley & Rob & others. Then a few weeks later they might be on here complaining that the windows were scratching already. I would look like a total idiot & I would end up sitting on a large investment that no one wanted to use because they weren't properly engineered.

So needless to say, I'm still working on it.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-28-2004).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for your detailed research Archie,

I'm following the chop top threads closely because I have been interested in the chop top conversion ever since I saw Warber's at Fierorama. A tempered glass solution is what I've been waiting for. I'm also researching the lambo doors. I've found a place that can recreate the entire door in carbon fiber for about a grand a door while retaining all the power accessories. That way you could open it with one arm.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Greg

Elvira

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElviraSend a Private Message to ElviraDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Archie...

Renee D.

BTW you have a PM.

------------------
Elvira
www.dirtyratracing.org
Blue 87GT 5sp (True-Blue)
Black 86GT 5sp (The Dirty Rat)
84 Indy-19k&300HP SD4!
Maroon 88 T-top Formula (1988-2003 RIP)
Gold 87GT junkyard rat!

[This message has been edited by Elvira (edited 03-28-2004).]

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
i have a question.
Archie if you do end up finding glass windows that work... will you make JUST the windows available for sale? i dont mean a chop-top kit.. just the windows..

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Bump cause I'm still interested...
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Bump cause I'm still interested...

You're interested in everything...lol

How's the mean Black Machine doing..??

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y** ~ GT!! One of One!!

** = 2nd WideBody Version coming soon... :)

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

You're interested in everything...lol

How's the mean Black Machine doing..??

Slow. I've had other priorities to attend to. Hopefully will get back to it soon...

Rob D.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Bumpity bump, from a new chop top owner.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
1 800 543-8796 Sorry,I didn't have time to stop by for a fit.
PFF
System Bot
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Any progress? Seems funny, but it has been the only thing that has held me back so far.

Greg

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

1 800 543-8796 Sorry,I didn't have time to stop by for a fit.

Whats that for Mads..??

Steve

ps. Hows #15 doing..??

------------------
"EuroSmooth Fiberglass Products"

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:
...I've found a place that can recreate the entire door in carbon fiber for about a grand a door while retaining all the power accessories. That way you could open it with one arm...Greg

That's a heckuva price, if you ask me. There's a lot of time and materials in creating molds and a one-off pair of doors. Just be advised that you are losing the beam, which means that a side impact will mean lots of mass coming in to join you I am doing either fiberglass or c/f doors for my project, but I will have a full cage with door bars to take up the slack. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it on the street.

Archie, what about small adjustable rollers in place of the felt-covered pads. That would eliminate the possibility of scratching and allow full sealing. It would have been too time-consuming (expensive) to have a guy fiddling with the adjustment on the assembly line, but for a custom installation it would "kick things up a couple notches" - I know too much FoodTV

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Whats that for Mads..??

Steve

ps. Hows #15 doing..??

It was for the side windows. I didn't have the time to stop when I left Florida last year. Oh well, maybe this year I'll stop now since I have two chopppers and one more to chop this year.

Yes, the glass is expensive but, once done...everyone with a Archie choptop will benifit if there willing to spend the monies.

#15? It's going in for major skin transplant Wednesday.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Well, I'm glad this subject came back up to the top, I wanted to update this several weeks ago but couldn't find it.
So needless to say, I'm still working on it.

Archie

Any Progress? I just noticed yesterday that it looks like a Cat or something tried to claw it's way through my passenger window. Needless to say I was upset.

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2005 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Is this on hold, or an impossibility?

Greg

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

Is this on hold, or an impossibility?

Greg

Got Cash? I would imagine that if Archie got enough ppl to buy it...it would be a "done deal."

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Curley, don't give up yet...
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
This is the only reason why I have not chopped my car as yet the lexan windows ..
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
if you are chopping your own car and are willing to remove the impact beams and relocate them i think you could use the original windows. when i hold mine in place with the door open it looks like there is barely enough room to have them stuffed in the doors.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Things that go, "bump" in the night.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The impact beams are not the issue. Obviously the stock glass can fit in the stock door. The issue is that the angle at the A pillar is now wrong for the stock glass after the chop. Not to mention the curvature at the B pillar. The stock glass would have to be cut down somehow. The only way tempered glass can be cut is to un-temper it. That's a little like unscrambling an egg. Not impossible but darn near.

The only viable option for glass side windows is to get new ones made. I'm waiting for someone with deep pockets to take the plunge and get the initial set made. The duplicates would only be a few hundred a piece. Archie?? Madcurl??

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
not really. pull the rubber off your door seal. then you will see the screws to remove the metal peice that holds the rubber. it's this piece you could shim in whichever direction you want to seal against the window. yes the curve is wrong, i've done this so you can try it yourself. open the door and place the stock window against the seal. i think you will be a little surprised how close it comes. then look down the sides and you will see that it would just barely tuck in the door skin. now, i have not installed stock windows on a chop top so i cannot guarantee it's possible and every chop is different. if you really want glass i think this is the best, most reasonable solution. or not.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
One of the "benifits" from having a "Archie" chop top is.....all 20-chops are the same. He has changed or modified certain interior parts which are now "standard."
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

I think you will be a little surprised how close it comes. then look down the sides and you will see that it would just barely tuck in the door skin.

So what you are saying is that you remount the stock glass at the new angle? If you get the angle right at the A pillar the B pillar will be completly wrong. Just for fun I'd like to try your experiment, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
let us know how it works out.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
If you place the glass in the door to match the change in angle of the windshield, the rear edge doesn't match vertically and there is a large gap where the door glass meets the roof. If you just leave the window alone where it matches up the roof line and the rear edge at the 'B' piller, then there is a large gap at the front edge of the window at the mirror, and the top edge of the glass is longer than the distance from the 'B' piller and the windshield.

I had a chance to play around with this idea, and using the original glass will not work......

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 08-28-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

I had a chance to play around with this idea, and using the original glass will not work......

This is what I thought would be the result but I haven't tried it. Maybe on the homebuilt chop tops you have a better chance of making it work because you can play with the angles of the roof a little bit. Every glass shop I talked to said I should have built the car around the glass instead of the other way around.

The advantage of the 20 or so Archie chop tops is that they were all built the same. If someone were to organize a group buy we could split the $2,000 setup cost of the windows and get reasonable priced tempered glass side windows. Archie is probably too busy to set it up, maybe Madcurl, Chester and I could organize something???

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2005 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i only removed a half inch from my roof which is probably why mine is closer. i still think you should try it on the t-top. from what i read it seems the roof is the stock length.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock