Yet another SBC swap thread. by 87GTSleeper
Started on: 03-21-2004 03:18 PM
Replies: 86
Last post by: 87GTSleeper on 05-10-2005 10:14 AM
My7Fieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2004 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good Sleeper! Can't wait to see it done. BTW I noticed you said that your parents live in Southaven. I work in that area. Lemme know if you ever come visit them!
IP: Logged
86se/lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86se/lamboSend a Private Message to 86se/lamboDirect Link to This Post
Bump, any progress?
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
how's this coming along?
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't made any updates in a while. Between Uncle Sam and my new lawn tractor, my Fiero budget took a hit.

I did order exhaust from Archie last week. I suspect it will be in by this weekend and I will post some pics of the final installation of the engine. As it stands right now, my engine/tranny is mounted to my freshly painted cradle and sitting on some sawhorses in my garage. I got some solid cradle mounts from Darrell Morse, too. I also relocated the bracket for the stock engine torque strut rod so I could use it with Archie's. I will post some pics of that as well.

True to my nature, I am running a little behind schedule. Stay tuned, I will try to post some more pics tonight.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Kind of a bump to keep the thread from dying. Still waiting on exhaust. I was hoping to be driving the thing by now. Patience is a virtue, I guess.
bdjones

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bdjonesSend a Private Message to bdjonesDirect Link to This Post
Here's a bump for ya... hows the progress going?
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
OK, it coming along. Sorry it's been a while since the last update. Been busy as hell at work and home.

I got my exhaust from Archie and proceeded to install it. Well, everything but the last 2 elbows and tips. I also started putting the suspension parts back on. Here are a few pics:

This is the firewall-side exhaust. It fit pretty well.

This, of course, is the trunk-side exhaust. Can you tell I suck at welding? I had to do a little creative cutting of the pipe to get it to route correctly.

And this is what it looks like now. I did get started installing the rear sway-bar but I'm not going to torque it down until I have the suspension loaded.

I intended to get more done this past weekend but it was stormy and the electricity kept going out.

My electric remote mount water pump came in last weekend. It looks sweet!

I will have more about it next update. Also the engine will be in the car. Like I said, it was my intent to have that done this weeked but Entergy had other plans. I am getting this thing in the car by this weekend if it kills me. Once again, I apologize about the infrequecy of updates. We're in the home stretch now so I will hopefully have updates more often. Until then.

Edit: I have a ratings bar!! Woot!!

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 06-28-2004).]

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I sent you a PM.
Nice work. Very clean.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Big Bump... Keep it coming i'm in the process of aquiring parts for my swap still , and would like to see the water pump installed and the clearance around the water pump area if you don't mind. By the way how did you mount your torque strut rod to the cradle and eng.? Any way awsome your keeping me motivated. I feel like going out in the garage and staring at my pile of parts now!
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

...By the way how did you mount your torque strut rod to the cradle and eng.?...

I used the original Fireo V-6 lower torgue rod bracket. I just relocted it to the other side of the cradle and drilled some holes to mount it. If anyone decides to go this way, mount yours closer to the inner tie rod. My new torque rod was barely long enough with the bracket in this location. The other end of the rod is just bolted to an extra bolt-hole on the rear of the right cylinder head. Thanks for the comments.

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Lookin awesome Sleeper, I hope you can get vids when you're firing it up the first time!

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd

PFF
System Bot
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
OK, the engine is in. I spent the morning cussin' and sweatin'. Here's what I managed to get done:

Getting it arranged on my hoist. Kinda hard to slide it under there and get it straight so the front cradle mounts line up right.

Blammo, it's in. I still have to figure out where I'm gonna mount the electric water pump. I'm also concerned about the A/C lines. The exhaust is getting in the way. Wiring harness, cooling hoses and fittings have been ordered so we are moving right along.

More to come later.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got a little more work done hooking things up. Here are a few pics of the progress.

I got all the suspension installed and lowered the car to load the suspension so I could install the rear swaybar. It's been a few months since those wheels supported any weight. Looks like its gonna be good and low. It'll look a lot better when I put 17s on the corners.

The exhaust tips are sticking out because I haven't trimmed the exhaust there yet and welded them on. My exhaust exits right in the way of the parking brake cable so I'm trying to decide which way to go. Over or under?

I also ran some flexible SS tubing from neck on the intake to the left coolant tube and from the right coolant tube to where my water pump will go. I still have not gotten the pump installed bu it will be going in this area:

I also started hooking up the shift and select cables and the slave cylinder. You can see kind of how my SS tubing is routed to the left coolant tube in thses pics.

Next, I need to go ahead and finally mount that water pump and patch into my fuel lines and get those connected to my fuel rails. After that, it will be vacuum and wiring. Speaking of wiring, for those who want to know, the Painless TPI FI wiring harness does not fit a Corvette computer. It would have been nice to know that prior to me ordering it but, hey, I liked the guys at Street & Strip Performance better anyway so I will be using their harness instead. S&P was my first instinct and I should have stuck with it.

Anyhoo, more later.

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 07-12-2004).]

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess it's more than time to update this thread.

Since last time, I have all but finished the swap. I am currently replacing the front suspension while I wait on my radiator and battery box. Here's a look at the swap as it is now.

I finally got the exhaust tips to come out right. I like the way these go with my paint scheme. I did learn that an exhaust man, I ain't.

In this picture you can see where I mounted the remote electric pump and tapped into the fuel lines. The TPI rails were the same thread as the Fiero but both female. I got 2 sets of TPI adapters, some SS hose and ends from Jegs and tapped right in without modifying anything. Pay attention to which is the return line, though.

The car is completely wired, now. I followed Archie's instructions on the tape as applied to TPI and had no real problem (once I got the Fiero wires clean ). I ran 2 new 12V-with-key-on wires from the fuse-box (where the Fiero fuel injection was), one to the electric water pump and another to the TPI computer. It was a lot easier than I expected.

I think it's pretty clean wiring job for a 1st timer. The TPI ECM, fuel pump relay, ALDL connector and TPI fuses are in the trunk under the carpet. Excuse the dust and stuff. I'm going to give it a good cleaning when I put the plenum and throttlebody back on. That reminds me, on my installation, the K&N cone-shaped TPI air filter would not fit due to interference with the shock tower. I'm currently fabricating a small fiberglass elbow to make it fit. I post some pics when it's done.

I have also ordered some wheels. Speedy Hi-Speed Racing. I think they will look good on there. Here's hoping I will be done by this time next week.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
OK, the last three posts to this thread are from me. The only humane thing to do is put this thread out of it's misery and save Cliff a little disk space.
KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
we're watching! Keep up the good work.

have you looked into a rubber intake instead of making one? Here's one on ebay.

ebay link

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

we're watching! Keep up the good work.

have you looked into a rubber intake instead of making one? Here's one on ebay.

ebay link

Holy crap , I just got the same elbow for $20 on ebay..

$65 is what I think you can get them for from the dealer!!!

JM

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
to let you know, those exhaust tips suck. I put the same ones on my GT and within a few weeks the yellow turns an un-cleanable black, after about 7 months they're already rusted out and rattling. I was going to have them replaced but i developed a rod knock so i left them till my engine swap

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

[This message has been edited by GTFiero1 (edited 09-28-2004).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
That is looking good.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTSleeper:

OK, the last three posts to this thread are from me.

Oh, we've been watching. I've just been sitting back and enjoying the show. Nice work!!

Have you fired it up yet?

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
It's not been fired up yet. I'm itching like crazy to do it, though. I expect my radiator and battery tray will arrive by the weekend or first of next week. That's really all I lack.

Sucks to hear about those exhaust tips. Oh well, if they don't cut it, I can get more.

I appreciate the intake elbow link but mine is pretty much made. It is small and just angles the filter toward the front of the car just a bit. I test fit it last night and it seems to fit OK. Now I just need to smooth it out and paint it. I think tonight I will notch the inside of my decklid and put that back on.

I'm sorry this thing is taking so long. I had hoped to be done by now (of course). When I am finally done, I intend to do a vanity thread on what all I have done to it since I got it 1-1/2 years ago. I've done a pretty good bit to it, but haven't posted much, except for the paint and engine.

I'm just ready to drive the thing.

PFF
System Bot
87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I can't wait to do my engine swaps.

------------------
----------------------

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you have done a great job. Any updated pics/progress?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
WOOT!!!!!!!

It runs!!! Good lord, it sounds AWESOME! I barely even bumped the starter and VROOM!!!

OK, now the bad stuff. I have a small fuel leak at the return fuel rail fitting. No sweat there. The really sucky thing is that my clutch won't disengage. I hardly have any resistance in the clutch pedal until it's almost to the floor. The slave cylinder doesn't seem to be moving the clutch arm very far. Perhaps I can make an adjustment at the clutch arm. I also still need to burp the cooling system. All said and done, I'm thrilled that's all that's wrong.

Man, I'm glad this thing runs. Thanks to all of you guys who inspired me and helped me along the way. I could not have done this without Pennock's and the patience of my good wife.

Now, I'm going to burn some freakin' rubber.

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 10-03-2004).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I really thank you for this thread as I have referenced it many times while doing mine. I still need to post about my TPI swap. When I test mounted my engine I hooked up the clutch slave and tested it. Mine too felt just as you describe. I'm using the SPEC clutch. Please let us know what fixed it as I know I'll need the same. Good luck

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTSleeper:

The really sucky thing is that my clutch won't disengage. I hardly have any resistance in the clutch pedal until it's almost to the floor. The slave cylinder doesn't seem to be moving the clutch arm very far. Perhaps I can make an adjustment at the clutch arm. I also still need to burp the cooling system.

Sounds like you need to burp the slave cylinder too.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, sounds to me like your clutch needs to be blead right.

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 10-04-2004).]

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the info on the clutch. It worked fine before the swap and I didn't loosen any lines, just removed the slave cyl from the bracket on the tranny. I'll read up on bleeding that sucker today and give it a shot when I get home. I have a new pedal, too so I'll put that on while I'm at it.

Thanks for the input, guys.

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
hows the clutch coming?
tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
You may notice that when you get the clutch properly bled it may still feel too easy to push.
I have a centerforce D/F and it is easier to push than the stock one was. I am not sure if it is beacuse of the clutch or because of the change in geometry due to the trans adapter plate, or both but it seems easier to push.
KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
any update on the hydrolics?
PFF
System Bot
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

any update on the hydrolics?

Yeah, they still don't work. Driving me nuts. I cannot get the dang clutch to disengage. Everything is new except the lines. I'll get it, though.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
WOOT!! Got the clutch issue worked out. I ended up having to make a longer slave cylinder rod and putting the clutch pedal in a vise and bending it so I would get enough travel to fully disengage the clutch.

I just took it on my first drive. Holy crap. Words escape me.

The car is finally finished....for now anyway. Here she is after my test drive today.

Thanks to everyone who offered up advice and counsel. Now. I'm going to drive my car.

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on finishing. Let us know how things go as you put on the miles.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Glad to see you driving it. It sure looks good too.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Again, I gotta say, she's beautiful!
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2004 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
Ok , now that it goes real fast make it stop fast!!

11.25" conversion

JM

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Cool! How long is the new rod? I guess I'll need one. Have some pics of finished engine bay? Nice car
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments!

I think I am going to do a brake upgrade next year. I haven't decided just which way I'm going to go yet, though. It's Corvette Yellow and has a Corvette engine so I'm thinking Corvette brakes are in order.

I do have this engine bay pic. Not show, by any means. It will be a semi-daily driver.

I made that little slave rod a full inch longer than stock. From the feedback I got, some had to lengthen it, some didn't. I'm not sure why. With an extra inch on mine, it shifts great. I'm sure the Synchromesh helped, too. I forgot to mention that I am not running a thermostat. Without, I am running about 190 degrees in traffic with the fan on.

The only code I got after starting it up was a code 22 which is low voltage on the TPS. I adjusted it to the proper closed throttle voltage and now run code-free. So far, I have put about 150 problem-free miles on it. I enjoyed every one of them. Having never owned a car with a SBC, the torque is unbelievable. It goes, NOW.

Thanks again for the compliments and such. I'm looking forward to seeing certain members' 4.9 and snazzy TPI builds finished as well.

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 10-20-2004).]

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
THis just make me wanna get done with mine. Guess I'll make this a busy weekend.

Trouble free miles are the best.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock