My New Electronic Dash!!!!! by rverhalen
Started on: 08-21-2004 09:33 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: rverhalen on 12-19-2004 10:14 AM
rverhalen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Time for a review of AEX's Electronic Dash!
I was looking for a different type of addition to my Formula and looked all over to find the "Right" one.
I looked at Mark's in Florida that sold for a lot less, but you get what you pay for and Mark was not that friendly to work with so I started looking again.... Found this website - - - www.aex-electronics.com I was stunned at the features that this dash could give me.... so after a awhile talking to the owner Mr. Eric Adams I was convinced that this was the one for me...
So I bought it.

The system was checked out and burned in for 7 days before shipping! When the package arrived I was very impressed with the quality / functionality and fit of this unit. The manual was so complete that even a milkman like me could install the dash with little issues. I did come across a wire that I could not figure out so I call Aex-Electronics and got a live person on a Saturday to help me through this simple issue. The technical person was helpful and knowledgeable of the product and the install. (A great plus for me!) Anyway, the install was flawless
This install took me half a day to do because I took it slow and read everything twice and installed once. Each step of the process I was getting more and more impressed and could not wait until the product was installed.
One more wire to go and the pressure was building.......... I can not wait any longer.........connect the battery again and hit the remote start button on the key chain and wham a damn beautiful dash came to life!!!
So many features that I cannot even go into here on this post. You will have to visit AEX-Electronics site to see what this dash can do. Even my wife who frowns on my hobby with the Fiero came out and was amazed with this dash and the quality that she saw... she even asked if I was going to buy another one for our son's 86 V6 SE, for her to say that meant a lot to me and the product that I just installed.
I was so impressed with the dash I had to call back the owner of AEX-Electronics Mr. Eric Adams and thank him and talk about the install and the product.
Anyway, I had a choice of spending some of my hard earned money on another upgrade to my Formula and it was between new rims and tires / New electronic dash or saving up for my Archie V-8 conversion, guess which one won out! I felt like I am driving a new car with a different personality. Sitting at the stoplight I had two people yell out their windows at me with questions like "How much?” "Where did you get that?" ; "Cool", well that made my day and one of the best mods that I could do. I will be in Raleigh for the Sept 11th show and I cannot wait to show off this dash! It even has 4 show mode settings, the LED's on the bar graph (when not moving) work as sound meters. It is just nice to see the exact numbers of what my engine is doing instead of trying to read an analog gauge that may be close to the true numbers.
This dash is a must see in person to see what it can do. Anyway, below are the pictures that I have taken tonight after my ride so enjoy them. I will post more pictures tonight.

Outside Shot of the Electronic Dash

Interior right hand shot

Another right hand shot

One more right hand shot

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 08-21-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
more pictures for your enjoyment!

The best picture of all of them is this one!

KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
Very nice conversion, usually I don't like the digital dashes, but it looks really good in your car. Good work.

------------------
*~ Out In The West Coast Showin' Off My Bad Habits ~*

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Awesome, looks all high tech!

So, how much DID you pay for it?

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I bet it looks like a fighter cockpit at night! That's pretty cool!
cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanDirect Link to This Post
That is a really nice gauge pod. I played with one at carlise one year, but about had a heart attack when he told me what his sale price was.

Sean

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the price is not cheap but it also is not your run of the mill type of electronic dash, you have to see it and try it then you will understand the price Quality is not something that comes cheap nor is the features that you get with this unit!
Well worth every penny that I spent, I have never been so excited with any mod that I have done up till now.
Oh hell I think I will go for another ride
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
That's beautiful. That is certainly something that could end up in my car, too.

I tried your link to the web site, and it wouldn't come up.

So......what kind of price is this thing? Ballpark? Please?

Mark
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
One more thing......... I am having a Street Pilot three installed in the dash where the temp and oil gauges (above the radio) so AEX-Electronics has a package that let's me take the gauge pod out so I can use the space for the GPS! I keep this up and the car will have a hovering system installed next!

More pictures to come on that mod as soon as Mr. Eric Adams gets me my "package" conversion out to me this week!

stay tuned

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

That's beautiful. That is certainly something that could end up in my car, too.

I tried your link to the web site, and it wouldn't come up.

So......what kind of price is this thing? Ballpark? Please?

Mark

Ditto on everything he said!!

Here's what I get when I click on your linky...

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

------------------

*~*CUSTOM BUILT!!*~*

*~*W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!*~* *~*UNDER SURGERY!!*~*
*~*Ultimate Mod Coming Soon!!*~*

cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanDirect Link to This Post
Firefox and notafiero you you have to drop the period at the end of the link.
Like this www.aex-electronics.com

Sean

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
The price is about 2 grand for the product and the pod upgrade. As far as I am concerned Damn well worth it.
Hell a good set of rims and tires would set me back this much, or the 10 grand for the V8 conversion.
It is one fantastic upgrade to an already great car. If I am going to drive this everyday I wanted something more then just a flashy car stereo (which by the way could cost as much as the dash mod).

Can not wait to show more people in person. (Now more to explain about my formula!)

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I fixed the link for everyone, sorry I did not see it when I posted it! Happy hunting
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Did anyone ever get the Fiero Digital Dash X1 the was selling here on Pennock's a while back? Just wondering.....

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 08-21-2004).]

fierodog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post
how about the conversion that changes a cavilier digital dash into the fiero? did anyone else see this?
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Wow i just looked on there website and the base package is $2600 and then if you upgrade to the optional package #2 its puts it at an even $3000 but i think those guages look absolutely awesome. This is the first ive seen these guages and this might just be the next thing i save up for . Those guages look killer, way better IMHO than the digital pisa guages.

------------------

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The best digital gauges for a stock bezel. Good work.

question: Were is the milage indicator?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 08-22-2004).]

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait for the $4000 dome light!
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
My dad has used a Dakota Digital dash for all of his projects. You mail them your dash and they custom make a setup to work with what you have. That way it still looks stock, just with digital gauges. If I remember right, the last project he used it for (47 International) was around $1000. They charge by the number of gauges they have to put in. I think his has 5. I don't know if they would change the warning/engine lights or not.

[This message has been edited by wikid_one (edited 08-22-2004).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
I got into the link this time. Thank you!

Mark
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
I am learning so much more about this dash it is killing me!
You press on button and the parking lights come on, hold it a little longer and the headlights come on
another one is, when I get out of the car I can set it to run a shutdown program that counts down and then powers off (very cool)
It also has 4 show modes, can open your trunk, shows you all the trouble areas with your car such as I can have all of the gauges blanked out and just run the MPH gauge and if any troubles occur it will Flash the gauge with the issues and then leave it on for me to fix or watch, it show the Oil pressure or at a push of the button shows the gas ( like 6.5 gallons left!)
It is a little work to learn to use but after you spend just a day with it you feel like you are driving a new car with a different look and feel. Now I have one of those mods that not everybody has and it DRAWS attention. Nice to see people get Wow'ed with my interior instead of my engine bay.
It was just time to add this to my interior since I have already done the Mr. Mikes seats / new black carpet / upgraded stereo / momo shifter / new floor mats / headliner / etc etc etc.... wanted something that stood out but with class and style.
I looked at the Pisa (just did not do enough for the money)
Mark's in Florida (not friendly nor great quality for the price and had to wait for 6 months)
Gauges from custom cars (not made to work on the Fiero, had to modifiy)
Some of the packages for a Z34 to convert to our cars
So buying a dash the was made for a Fiero, built to be a plug and play type of install and look great was a major factor.
I was never a fan of Digital, but this dash made me change my mind. Now I just stand and look at the car just to see what the dash is going to do when I press another button. All functional needed items that add so much to a already great car.
Analog is fine, but I needed to push the envelope a litte further.
Oh yea, this will work with a 4 / 6 or V8 motor, it will not interfer with the sensors that are or are not in the car.
You have to look at this product before you install it, the quality is far far superior then anything else that I have seen on the market. Damn near matches the quality that you get from an aerospace firm!

As far a Mr. Adams at Aex is concerned, it is nice to know a man who is sharper then his tools!
nice product, do not take my word for it shop around and compare features, install issues, get a copy of the install manual and see what a few dollars more will get you.

See you all at the next shows!

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl,

I have always thought your car was the best Fiero out there with the modifications that have been done to it and your styling tastes. That has now set the bar for others to match. As you know quality is not cheap nor is anyones pride! Great work on your car.

Here is a tast of the manual for your enjoyment, here is a few things this dash can do... let me know if I can help in anyway with information on this product. Not everyone has one.

Here is a layout of some of the funtions that are in this dash, and you can have it lock out your fuel pump so no one can steal your pride and joy, also it has a switch that can lock the whole dash (turn it off completely) cool feature.

goto the following link to see how it works!

www.cyclecreationsws.com/documentation/Dash.htm

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 08-22-2004).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
By the way you can get the standard dash and the Carlisle package deal price of $2,100.

That is why I bought it, a good deal when you put them all in the same package!

I just talked to Eric Adams (AEX) and he stated that this would be a package deal to anyone that wanted one!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rverhalen:

Madcurl,

I have always thought your car was the best Fiero out there with the modifications that have been done to it and your styling tastes. That has now set the bar for others to match. As you know quality is not cheap nor is anyones pride! Great work on your car.

Here is a tast of the manual for your enjoyment, here is a few things this dash can do... let me know if I can help in anyway with information on this product. Not everyone has one.

Here is a layout of some of the funtions that are in this dash, and you can have it lock out your fuel pump so no one can steal your pride and joy, also it has a switch that can lock the whole dash (turn it off completely) cool feature.

goto the following link to see how it works!

www.cyclecreationsws.com/documentation/Dash.htm

Thanks for the kind words. I agree sometimes you have to pay for "things" you really want....even driving to Florida to get it, hehehe.

I tried the link but it doesn't work? Anyway that is a really neat package you have. So there are more things to learn from it? I like the idea that you can shut off the fuel supply. Let us know about more items or features you find once you learn them.

Whats the warrenty on the dash kit? Where is your milage indicator?

suggestion: Why not carbon fiber the front fascia and gauge pod? Sppdy knows a company that can carbon fiber any surface that can "normally" be painted. Chris West has a carbon fiber gauge pod, but the front is non-digital gauges. It looks really nice IMO.

flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusDirect Link to This Post
That's absolutely beautiful, can't wait to see it.
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
flyntus,

I need to know how you get your 4.9 caddy passed in NC... Some places said that they would not pass it since it did not come in the car? Anyway, still waiting for your grills so I can get them sand blasted and painted for you... (I owe you!)

336-462-1040
rverhalen@triad.rr.com

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
COOL
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Very cool dash - Looks great!

The price might be high, but worth it if it is as solid as it sounds...

Reminds me a little of knight rider.

Have a good one, and enjoy crusin' around with yer car.

-FieroRumor

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl,

Here are the answers to your questions.....First try the link to get the overview of the dash since it takes a little for it to work. You will get a square that looks like it will not work then it will pop up.

question
Whats the warrenty on the dash kit?
It comes with a one year warranty

question
Where is your milage indicator?
It is in the top left hand corner

question
carbon fiber?
The dash comes with a new bezel and looks great, I would not change a thing to the dash or the install. You have to see it in person to understand my statement. Very very nice. I do not get impressed very quickly but this dash did it.
So glad that I paid the extra to get quality instead of wasting my time or getting junk!

You can PM me some pictures of your car.... maybe I can get some more ideas on how to make mine look classy!

rverhalen@triad.rr.com

flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusDirect Link to This Post
Bob,

I get my car inspected at the Valvoline place in Walkertown with no problems.
I'll try to drop of my vents Wednesday before I head down to the Fiero Factory on Thursday & that
will give me chance to see your dash in person

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
The pics in the dark look like Knight Rider!!!! Very cool
PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Flyntus,

Great I will be waiting for them, I am going to a carb setup and need a place to get the car checked out for next year, I do not want to do all of the work and then find out it is not test-able. I would love to show you the dash and then you can tell everyone what you saw! Also, I have a couple of small items to ask you about...

Talk to you soon my friend!

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
I will be posting the pictures of the new GPS install sometime on Monday of next week. Getting a custom plate made for it.

So far the dash features are so many I will try to list them here when I do it on Word first to get it all straight.
You will love what this unit will do!

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Well Flyntus has come by and viewed the dash and has taken some information with him. He stated the he loved the dash and how cool it was....

Now I have to put the GPS in there to make it complete.

I am also working on sandblasting his rear grills to a nice glossy black color and white mesh underneath for his car...

so much work and so little time! More updates to come

Oh yea the parts will be here late thursday so I can get started on the GPS! Life is good!

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Bob,
Very nice work!

------------------
Ron
aka: Blackrams

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello Rob, Love that dash and your Fiero is beautiful in its details. On a side note did you sell your BMW bike, that is just an awesome ride too. thanks Norm

------------------
Norm Vandermee

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the BMW bike sold right after I talked to you. It went out to El Paso Texas! It sold for $12,500.00 with an issue...

So that is where the money has been coming from for all of the new toys. Also I need to get with you again and get another remote battery tray again. I have been trying to remember to call you and get one ordered. I have do it to my son's 86 but I need to do it to my Formula...

Just get one boxed up and ready for shipment and I will call you today to get this going.

Thanks for the nice words on the dash. It has added so much to my car that I can not even describe the difference!

336-462-1040
Robert Ver Halen

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello, Super well there went that fantasy,LOL. Im making 2 trays as we speak. thanks Norm.
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
I still have one left, an impala brown K1200LT 2003 with 2100 mile only on it.... <Big Grin> still want one hummmmm
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Is that a leaf I see in that last pic?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock