Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Quickest and Fastest NA Street Driven V6 Fiero...12.50 sec @ 108 mph in quarter...! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Quickest and Fastest NA Street Driven V6 Fiero...12.50 sec @ 108 mph in quarter...! by Kerry
Started on: 06-27-2004 02:09 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: bamman on 10-08-2004 01:18 PM
Kerry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KerrySend a Private Message to KerryDirect Link to This Post
The engine bay was very plain looking.

The engine was dusty with a fairly new 500 CFM AFB on a well used intake, with a yellow cap Accel HEI distributor.

The aircleaner and mufflers had been removed.

The bulkhead between the trunk and engine compartment had been removed for additional space around the headers and a support had been added between the engine and radiator.

The engine had two dogbones ( both driver and passenger side) mounted to a cross bar bolted to the firewall and covered with aluminum faced heat wrap.

Workmanship and finish was a 3 on a scale of 10.

Function was an 11.

No flash, no chrome, no shine...

It was easy to miss...until you saw it run.

This car was a PERFECT rice killer. This guy could make some reasonably serious money on the street...

For all I know... that may be it's role.

Also, I would second Archie's comment about Don Krause's car. A class act and a total gentleman. I spoke with him at length about his transmission modifications and he was very open and candid. It became obvious that he had thought his combination through and had focused on making the car reliable...as well as quick.

Kerry

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 06-28-2004).]

IP: Logged
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kerry:

The engine bay was very plain looking.

No flash, no chrome, no shine...

It was easy to miss...until you saw it run.

Yea, sorry to break it to you but your buddy's 4.3 Fiero will not draw a huge crowd at a car show without all that chrome and flash. It seems anymore that you need to "rice" up the car with a lot of chrome, stickers, and body tricks before anyone in the Fiero community will even give it a second glance. The sad thing is it seems that our "plain" looking cars draw more attention at non-fiero shows than at Fiero-specific ones. Oh well, I am still not going to put any decals on my car so people will look at it. Again, kudo's to your friend for running the impressive number and with the 2550 weight, approx 300-330hp at the crank sounds about right for the number he was running. As for the purpose-built race car comment I made, that was just my opinion and everybody is entitled to their own. Again, impressive effort for someone trying to do something different.

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Ill give my 2 cents worth..... AWSOME RUN!!!!!!!! I want a Fiero agian

------------------

www.FieroLoki.com

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well.........

I was impressed with the car. A wonderful sleeper and I think captured the idea of a Hot Rod.

He deserves credit for his accomplishment.

------------------
Paul

Kerry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KerrySend a Private Message to KerryDirect Link to This Post

I would rather drive a plain looking sleeper...that is a stone cold... rice killer...
than have a 15 sec car with one of everything from a JC Whitney catalog...

Look at an original 65 Coronet Street Hemi...painted valve covers and a decal on the air cleaner...very little flash. But enough raw power to provide sensory overload and provide respectable performance.

The automotive equivalent of "Walk softly...but carry a big stick..."
I look at some of the ricer's car's today and think "Stumble loudly and fumble for your stub..."

Hell, some of these cars look like strobe lighted fishing lures on steroids...

I for one would like to see more "sleepers" on the street to dust off the chrome bottle rockets.

I would rather listen to the rump...rump... exaust of a well built, cleanly detailed, plain looking "street cleaner" than listen to the rump....rump...of 250 W of Bass coming from a rolling billboard for the House of Chrome...

JMO...

Kerry

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kerry:

Buddy,

I do have his phone number, but I don't think it appropriate to pass it out without his approval.

then would you give him mine?
405-9107 area code 816
and of course email
buddycraigg (AT) kc.rr.com

i really want to talk to him.

Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Reading this thread makes me wonder just how fast Master Tuner Akimoto's 4.9 would be had he gutted his car to equal the 4.3s car's weight.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm amazed at how negative this thread is... it's simply stupid - I'll feel more than lucky if he joins the forum. I was one of the guys hanging around his car waiting for him to return so we could quiz him.

1) He was as nice and as honest as they come

2) He wasn't there for the Fiero show, but rather for the "Pontiacs at the Park" drag night - so it never appeared on the show field. That's why nobody remembers seeing it with the hood up during the show!

3) (as mentioned) He was running better times than almost every other Fiero racing - including some 3800 S/C cars (only FieroX and Don Krause were faster). He even blew away one (notably slow) Small-Block powered Green Finale. Note that the Northstars & 4.9s were even quite slower by comparison.

4) I too initially thought the car to be a SBC-powered car, specifically that it might've been Buddy's (but someone then pointed out the absence of exhaust tips). The car ran & sounded awesome.

It's absolutely insulting for people to use the "well... he could've done better" line when it's been shown that even most V8's and forced induction Fieros don't do that well. The owner should be praised and complimented for doing something very unique with his project and being able to successfully show the results. More and more I can see now why some people would be at least a little hesitant to post time slips here

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

ds21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ds21Send a Private Message to ds21Direct Link to This Post
After all the apples and oranges examples that Hyper give then he agrees and says this:

Originally posted by hyperv6:

It may be the best natural V6 but there is alot more there to gain and still keep it streetable.

You'd think you were trying to take his manhood away.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy didn't join this forum either, all he did was build his car and race it, he didn't ask for any of this bashing!

Oh I forgot, I have been paid to drive a out company pick-up, for what ever that matters.

[This message has been edited by ds21 (edited 06-30-2004).]

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Why are a lot of you saying that many are bashing this guy and/or his car? I've only read where one member (try to guess who that is ) that has said anything negative. And his argument is pointless anyway. Of course it could be faster. Anything could be a little faster than it currently is.
I thought the car was very impressive. I remember doing a double take as I saw it hauling ass halfway down the track. Gets a big thumbs up from me.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I am going to stop this now because this is getting way out of hand [Driving a company pickup? Who is bashing who now]

First, I never intended this to be a bash if there was bashing I got as much or more than I gave.

Second, I never said this was a horrable waste of time!! I admit It is nice, neat and a great accomplishment with a 4.3 that few install in a Fiero. I even added I hope he keeps at it because he should be able to gain more speed and time with this large of displacment.

My whole intention is he has a large V 6 that a lot of cheap aftermarket parts are available for it, I am sure and would very much encourage him to keep working on it. I am looking at this from what he can [and will] do not what he has done, it may be someday and it may be soon. I would fully expect a low 12 or high 11 with just a little more tweeking. Point is he has a good set up at 12.50 and I feel he has a lot more potential because the engine has the capabilites to do so. I guess I am looking at this like a a glass half full vs while other seeing half empty.
I know and have seen more from lesser engines so I guess just expect more. Just in my daily experience of those I work with and for they expect more. Maybe I expected too much here? If so forgive me for expecting it.

I give a heart felt appology to those that were upset with any of my comments. It is better for me to appolgize stop this now than hurt the Fiero community in anyway, I am not out to win any battles with anyone. But also keep in mind not all of us will alway agree and see thing the same way, It is important to be tollorent of other regardless of their opinions agree or disagree. It is just as wrong to questions someones background and experience just because they don't agree. I may have not agreed with Kerry 100% but I never questioned his background, experience. I just have a different view.

I am sorry if some of you took any of this as a slam, it was never ment to be that way. I will confess I did get a defensive toward someone on this thread that I felt was bashing me by prejudging me and my background and when he has no idea who I am. We all here can disagree just keep in mind we still need to be tollorent of others opinions weather you agree or not.

To the gentleman about joining, If you read this and I hope you do, I never ment to question anything you have done. The vast majority of the folks here are great. Don't let anything I have said or what any of the other have said deter you from joining in, this is not a common thing. You can learn so much here and I also am sure you would be a great benefit to this site.

I am off this thread and hope the others can keep this to the original topic to everyones benefit from here on out. The topic is more important here than what I say or what many are going on about at this point.

Please do not misunderstand anything I have stated here, I Am Sorry To Anyone I Have Offended.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 06-30-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Kerry for your post, I am sorry that there are so many that seem to make themselfs feel good by stating "WHAT COULD BE IF." The first post made me glad I haven't sold my 4.3 blocks or the cast iron 4bll intake from the 262 v6 (4.3) I have along with a 4bll rockchester carb. Again thanks and I hope others with the same kind of storys or info will not be discourage from sharing.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock