Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Paint? on the GreenGT? ...some said it would never happen! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Paint? on the GreenGT? ...some said it would never happen! by MinnGreenGT
Started on: 05-14-2004 05:21 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: Firefox on 05-20-2004 11:59 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well... this has been a long time coming! Almost 2 years to be exact (yes, it really has been only 2 years since I first started this round of body mods). Some, but probably few might still remember the 1st "finished" form of my GreenGT - I originally bought the car in August of 1995, and over the next year transformed the damaged stock '87 GT into this:

It was painted 1995 Corvette "Medium Metallic Green" with a gold pearl added, and the stock gray wheels were refinished by Precision Wheel service in their "HoneyWheat" Gold color. Quite a nice combo - and I was happy with it until I found this place (July '01) and realized what I had been missing!

So Memorial day weekend of 2002 I started the change towards the "new" GreenGT. I started by installing my 'stang style hood vent, JL Extractor hood vent, and Aus's Stage2 side scoops. And showed the car for the 1st time in the "work-in-progress class" at Dells Run - and got a good reception! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-018398.html

Then last year I added the FieroWarehouse 7" (?) wing stands, Lawrence/Skitime-style front air dam, and just before the 20th, the M3 style rocker panels (thanks to RadRuss's early work). This photo (taken at our local FieroFeast - as hosted by FieroSTS) has become one of my favorites!

And I also found out how poor my amateur bodywork skills were - many of the mods have been re-glassed 2-4 times, and some still aren't "perfect"... but I did do them myself!

more to come...

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

So since last year, after having met Mark (Firefox) in person at Dells Run - I've been working on "finishing" the car to a paintable point. And if we hadn't set a deadline I'd still be working on it! So this is how the car looked on April 18th when I got home from work - keep in mind I was supposed to drive the car to my brother's place in Southern MN that night - to then go on and drop the car off with Mark part-way in Wis Dells.

Two hours later it was back together, and I'd only cracked one panel (doh!).

This is the car Saturday May 8th in Milwaukee at Mark's place. Kev drove down with me and helped us out along the way as well. Also, Mark & Kristie could not have been more gracious to let us stay with them!

And then the next day before I was ready to drive back - and yes, I drove it back as you see it. Everything is painted, but it's only been very quickly wetsanded and buffed - the rest of the body parts are in Kev's truck.

So we've been working this week to get the car at least moderately prepped for this weekend's MFF Spring Kickoff. So with Kev's (and a few others) assistance we've: reassembled the rest of the panels done a bit more wetsanding, buffed most of the body again, and then last night (without any polishing beyond a rubbing compound) tossed on a layer of 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze. Now, the new paint is pretty tough to photograph (especially in higher daylight) - so I'll have some better pics after this weekend when I can shoot some lower-angle sunlight photos.

The best representation of the color so far is on the front fender in this pic... btw, the new color? Jaguar Racing Green!

So - anyone amazed? Impressed? Confused?

Kameo Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post
looks very nice.. glad to see you got it all one color now .. ha you beat Smooooth LOL

------------------

3.4 DOHC Turbo swap in progress

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I saw your car at the 20th and really liked it. It looks incredible in that Jag green. I'm anxious to see some more pics as you get them. Congratulations on the new paint. Enjoy it!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah - here's a better shot of the color itself (courtsey of FireFox while he was painting the car)

Jimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySend a Private Message to JimmyDirect Link to This Post
Nice Rob! Very nice! No more project class for you!

Jim

Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post
Rob that is absouletly fantastic! Glad to see someone finish theirs, god knows mine is a long time comeing. You know what has to happen next right? Yeah you guessed it I better be getting an order for a print real soon like!

Take care,
Anthony

------------------

Get the Wallpapers here! and Get the T-Shirts here!

[This message has been edited by Reality (edited 05-14-2004).]

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
VERY nice, Rob! I've never been a big fan of green, but I really like that shade. Your car looks great! Congratulations...now, when is the V8 going in??

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
as someone else mentioned - you beat Smoooooth!! And i really like that color - kinda between candy apple green and forest green, with metallic sparklies Looks amazing!

------------------
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE FIERO!

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Wow....she looks nice! Even nicer than when she was here!

By the way....don't wash it. I used water colors.

Mark the GT painter
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Rob, the car looks great!
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.

And I thought I had it bad with my 3.4 Formula being mothballed for a year waiting for paint.

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Well its about bloody time All 3 times ive seen it it's been grey and primer!! And isnt it called British Racing Green? Or did they change it? Its an UNREAL colour Looks fantastic. Now put that damn motor in there so it goes as fast as it looks!!
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
MiniGreen,

I am very jelous. You did a great job. Any pics of the inside? I know you did work in there too. The work is never done is it?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your comments... here's one more pic with some different lighting to show how different the car looks when lit from the side:

Pat - British Racing Green is actually a darker non-metallic color. The Jaguar Racing Green was also cross referenced by one source as being "Jasper Green Metallic"

As for the Small Block - it'll probably continue to sit quietly in my garage until later this year... I'm hoping to use that as my "Winter Project". There will probably be a number of other changes that you'll see in the next few months though

LMAO - Firefox... watercolor? Dang! I knew it seemed to fade a bit every time I washed it!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by kevin:
Any pics of the inside? I know you did work in there too. The work is never done is it?

Here's a photo of the interior from last year:

and then the newer Firebird seats I just installed recently:

I'm going to switch to carpet that matches the seats, and probably paint the dash black (I've always like the Ferrari-esque style of a black & tan interior). I've yet to finish installing my LCD from last year too...

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Who'd a thunk it? Way to go, Rob! Looks good!

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
It looks very nice. I like the green-tan/gold combo.

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Nice paintjob!

You beat me, I am still wetsanding and primering mine......yes I drive around like this daily

...But anyone can beat Smooth GT in getting a car painted!

How hard is it to get the outer doorpanels off? I saw some torx plastic retainers behind it, and pop rivets under the door...I want as many panels as possible painted separated from the body to ensure a good coat.

Btw, nice color. is it the same color Jaguar used on the F1 cars?

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in Progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Rob, It looks awesome!!

Can you confirm that you have 7" wingstands? I'm still debating on the height that I want my spoiler, so knowing for sure what yours is would help. Thanks.

Jonathan

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Coupe (Daily Driver), 1985 SE (Project Car), 1985 Coupe (parts car), Firebird Interior Installation Website

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
WOW Rob looks GREAT !!! Sure glad your name was not MinnPINKGT or something

I knew that if I painted mine you could not stand it and would paint yours ! haha
I bet the wife is happy it has all one color too !!

AND hell yes ANYBODY can / will beat smoothGT in FINISHING their projects !!hahaha That's a given.....

What is next???

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Looks GREAT!
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. I've been waiting for this day too. Congrats.

How do the M3 side skirts mont up? Are the a good fit or do they need to be modded?

------------------
-Chris

Custom Gun Metal 86 GT
Look here for more pics - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040573.html

***95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intakes, Ported plenium, 57mm Throttle body, Sprint Headers, CRX CAI, Custom Cam, AFP Regulator, steel vacuum lines, steel braided EGR tube, new Wire Harness, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, polished poly dog bone. Isuzu 5 speed, Short through shifter
***Intrax 2" drop springs, Full Polly Suspension, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires
***Racing Seats, SunPro tach w/ shift light, White face guages, carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber dash accents and custom sphere shift knob,

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
Looks great!

------------------

The 4.9 To Be! (Spring, 2005)

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
Love that hood vent. Looks familiar

Whole car looks great Nice job.

------------------
http://parlow.org/fiero/

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
Nice man! I still want some of those M3 ground effects . Does anyone sell them? Pm me if ya like about it. I can't wait to see it done! talk to you later!

------------------

Check my car out at Car Domain!

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Rob got his car painted?, naw......., must be a photoshop........

Seriously, looks great Rob!

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Your car was one of my favorites before the paint, now its definitely top 5. Get that V8 in there and you just might be top 3! Hahaha, now thats something to shoot for

Brad

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Way to go Rob, Looks great.

BTW, what are you trying to do?, Steal my painter?

Archie

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Impressive!!!! To say the least....lol....Itz great to see anyone's project coming together.....I've always prefered the notchie look over the fastback, but with your mods she looks fabo...

[This message has been edited by pavo_roddy (edited 05-14-2004).]

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I hope to be in your position one day and have a Fiero that I'm that satisfied with. It looks awesome. I sure you will take the "green" class at the next Fiero show you go to.

------------------
BruceJuice
87 silver GT

FieroJuice.com
Central Ohio Fiero Enthusiasts
Classic Fiero Owners Group International

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
You BASTEARD!

Keep us posted!

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

[B]Originally posted by revin:]
AND hell yes ANYBODY can / will beat smoothGT in FINISHING their projects !!hahaha That's a given.....

What is next???

Umm...
Panama Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Panama JackSend a Private Message to Panama JackDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT ( '93 Deville 4.9 / 4T60e )

sentinel_76ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sentinel_76caSend a Private Message to sentinel_76caDirect Link to This Post
That green looks awesome!! bet even better in person

------------------
Steve

Ottawa Fiero
84 3100 5 Speed
85 Stock SE

fierohutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
wow, looks awesome, i can't wait to see it in person in the dells.

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
That looks great .
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great, Guess we won't need a "project class" for you at Fierorama after all.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

The best representation of the color so far is on the front fender in this pic... btw, the new color? Jaguar Racing Green!

So - anyone amazed? Impressed? Confused?

mark me down for one of amazed, and two of impressed

------------------

My 85 Fiero GT

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
looks sweet, but you need some bigger 17inch goldish wheels to really set it off

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock