Back up light mod by whobeyoube
Started on: 02-21-2004 12:38 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: LT188GT on 03-06-2004 05:15 PM
whobeyoube

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
Found this thread in the archives:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20010116-1-002562.html

Looks like a kickass idea and I'm goin for it.

I found the lights online if anybody is interested:

http://www.not-just-parts.com/product.asp?store=1&pid=3305

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I still want to do that mod and then do the Full Pontiac Mod to the tail lights. Cheap easy and makes the car look so much newer.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
http://expressdistributing.com/cart/cgi-bin/Html/Products/trailer_drive_lites.htm

Try this place to, they also fit nice.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

Keesee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeeseeSend a Private Message to KeeseeDirect Link to This Post
These are neat, I had long wondered if something like this could be done. Can the tail lights be converted to "Wall to Wall" style?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
There aren't sockets all the way across, but I imagine you could canabilize a couple sets of taillights to make that happen.

Something to consider though. This backup light mod eliminates any reflectors on the rear of your car. That might be a concern if you park in the street. Probably not a big deal, but it may be something to think about first.

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a closer pic for you. The lights can be found at Pep Boys for $30.00
rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
yup; i did it on mine too. I plan on upgrading bulbs to 130 watt ones though. I dont like reverse unless i can see.
rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post

Theres the lights on my car.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
I guess you cant do it on the Formula style bumper. the reflector is too big

------------------

Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

I guess you cant do it on the Formula style bumper. the reflector is too big

I'll be doing it on my Formula. Can't remember the exact measurements but I do remember the height is perfect
and the length of the light is about 1" - 1 1/2 " shorter. I will just center it within the hole. I think it will look fine, it will only leave 1/2" - 3/4" on either side. Can always make a backing plate to fill it in around the edges if I don't like the look.

whobeyoube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
Got my lights, They seem to be perfectly sized for the openings.

Now some questions for those who have done it:

How are the reflectors held in? I went under there and can't see the back of the opening in the bumper. If I remove the rear wheelwell splash gaurd will it be accessable? Will I need to drill a hole for the wires to get through? Should be easy enough to re-route the stock back up light wires to the new if I can get the wires out and up there.

Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by whobeyoube (edited 03-05-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Been so long I cant remember for sure, but i think they have plastic studs on the back with metal 11mm speed nuts going thru the bumper cover.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
WhoBeYouBe----------------You will have to remove the rear bumper to get at the nuts holding on the reflectors. Drill out the center of the reflector mount in order to allow the new lights to be recessed. I than fabricated two plates with clip nuts on them to secure the new lights. Sorry but I did not have my digital camera at that time but once you get everything apart you will see what needs to be done.

[This message has been edited by LT188GT (edited 03-06-2004).]

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
So do you splice your back up light wires to reach down to the reflector? I need to do this because I have the corvette lights with no backups currently.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
connecticutFiero-------yes just splice in a new section long enough to pull the new light out in case of a bulb failure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock