Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Carbing a 60*v6 - Quick Question (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Carbing a 60*v6 - Quick Question by Razor_Wing
Started on: 02-05-2004 04:11 PM
Replies: 66
Last post by: FierOmar on 03-29-2004 02:10 PM
MOJO41

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOJO41Send a Private Message to MOJO41Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, Orief

Patiently waiting on your wiring write up. If I install the hotter cam and rocker arms, along with the sprint headers, manifold and 4 barrel, what would you est. the HP to be?

If I have the heads ported and polished, how should I tell the machine shop to do it? Also, what would the est. HP be if I did the porting and polishing in addition to the bolt ons?

I don't see the need to tear down the engine as it is a strong 2.8 with only 65k on it. Does this make sense to you?

IP: Logged
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
MOJO, you post whore! lol.
MOJO41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOJO41Send a Private Message to MOJO41Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm a post whore, LOL. I just can't soak up enough of this great knowledge!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
On a related story. Did anyone watch the Dayton Goodies Dash Cars. Most are Pontiac Sunfires and cavaliers with carbed 60* V6s, and a smattering of ford and toyotas. They run 170 mph. who says little V6s dont run, especially with an 'old' carb.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-08-2004).]

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The regulatory is the least of your worries. Mallory makes the regulator which handles their 110FI fuel pump (which delivers 60 psi) and adjusts output from 12 psi down to 3 psi. $75.

The techies at Jegs put me on to it.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1472&prmenbr=361

Arn

So, if I were to use this Mallory fuel pressure regulator, I would not need to change the fuel pump from the pump that came with my 2.8 V6 to a 4 cylinder fuel pump?

------------------
FierOmar

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
That is right.

I am leaving my 45 psi pump (only a year old) in place. It will be in a free flow situation and will not be stressed at all. The bypass regulator just bleeds off enough psi to drive the carb. It is adjustable all the way down to 3 psi if you need it.

By the way, for the Moroso 14" racing air cleaner, Orief measured things up for the hump back deck lid for me. The only filter element that will fit the air cleaner and give you clearance is the K&N 14"X2.5" filter element. I could not find another element with those measurements. That is the measurement to clear the support strut and the slope of the deck. Cudo's to Orief of course.

I'm trying to post a pic of the setup but I am having difficulty with the software. I hope this worked.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 02-22-2004).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Here is the thread with the pic and description

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/046488.html

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:

I hate to...burst your bubble...but the carb has alredy been established. And the engine will be a 3.1, Redline at 6k (I'd like to run 6.5k).

you didn't 'burst my bubble'.. i was giving you a guideline.. last one you'll get though..

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

you didn't 'burst my bubble'.. i was giving you a guideline.. last one you'll get though..

Sorry if it sounded so rude, that was not the intention. I just had alredy decided on a 4-bbl before I even started the thread.

Ok, buying time is getting near and I'm trying to get my last bit of notes together before I do a final draft of all that I need. Here is what I have (pertaining to this post):

Edelbrok Torker II Manifold:
-Base: [jegs] 350-3785 ($149.99)
-Top (4-bbl carb): [jegs] 350-3789 ($89.99)
Holly 380cfm 4-bbl carb (8007): [jegs] 510-0-8007 ($279.00)
Air Filter: Edelbrock 10" Sig: [jegs] 350-1208 ($17.99)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (the one Arns said): [jegs] 650-4309 ($74.99)
S-10 Michinical Dist.: ?

Crap! I forgot to get the cam stuff. I'll post it when I get it. All the prices are fresh, I just went a minute ago and made shure. Thanks for all the help everyone, espically Oreif!

As an off topic note...I just noticed we got more avatar things! lol. cool! Did'nt have them yesterday ...or mabie they are just cheesy drapwn versions of what we alredy have...?

Edit: I could'nt find the H272 on Jegs, but I found it on ARI (where I'm getting alot of the stuff) and it's $279! Is that just me or is that high? Anywhere I can get it cheaper? And do I need to replace the lifters while it's torn apart or not? Just don't know if thats something that is tpyically replaced during a rebuild. The engine had roughly 50k miles when it was pulled out.

Oreif, if you have a stick, what clutch do you have? I'm looking for a "kit" that has everything I need (pressure plate, forks, etc). Thanks!
------------------

Check my car out at Car Domain!

[This message has been edited by Razor_Wing (edited 02-28-2004).]

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

Razor_Wing

1753 posts
Member since Apr 2003
lol...ook....that did'nt get anywhere. Bumparoo!
STRATOHACKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKERDirect Link to This Post

Edit: I could'nt find the H272 on Jegs, but I found it on ARI (where I'm getting alot of the stuff) and it's $279! Is that just me or is that high? Anywhere I can get it cheaper? And do I need to replace the lifters while it's torn apart or not? Just don't know if thats something that is tpyically replaced during a rebuild. The engine had roughly 50k miles when it was pulled out.

Oreif, if you have a stick, what clutch do you have? m looking for a I'"kit" that has everything I need (pressure plate, forks, etc). Thanks!

Oreif must be busy I can answer these.
I bought a GM perforance cam that is the same as the H260 due to the fact that the H272 was so expensive. I priced it here locally at Jegs and the price from ARI sounds about the same as what I was quoted at Jegs.

If you are puting in a new cam, you need to replace the lifters as they will take a set to the cam lobes as it breaks in. This is a must do.

Orief's car is an automatic so he does not have a clutch I got my clutch kit from Autozone and it has held up without slipping so far, but I have only been driving the car a little over a month. I am crossing my fingers on this clutch. I got it for $80.00 due to the fact someone else had ordered it and then never came to pick it up and it was stuck in their inventory. It includes the clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing and alignment tool.

Hope this helps you out.
Richey

[This message has been edited by STRATOHACKER (edited 02-29-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2004 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
I also have a carbed 3.4L which is built basically spec for spec with Orief. I use the Centerforce DF clutch on a 4spd 4.10 AWSOME CLUTCH but not cheap.

Specs here: www.cardomain.com/id/donk_316
------------------

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 03-01-2004).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm not doing the cam or heads right away.

I want to see how the 390 cfm carb and 2.5" exhaust behave with the 'stock' 2.8 engine.

When I see the streetability of the setup, and gas mileage, the ET's, then I'll do some figuring on the way to go on the rest.

I think we're going to see more carb'd Fieros. It just makes sense.

Arn

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
What is the URL for the ARI site? Anyone found the H272 p/n on Jegs or Summit? TIA

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
This place has the Crane Cams H272 P/N 253941 for $214.00

http://www.sdpc2000.com/default.htm

Just type in the P/N as CRA253941

Ooops, Wait.

Summit Racing has it for :
CRN-253941 Cam Powermax Hyd. 80-94 Chevy V6 2.8/3.1 Adv. Dur. 272/284 Lift 454/480 Price $159.95

Just type in the P/N CRN-253941
www.summitracing.com

Jegs lists it as a "special order" so you need to call them.

Go with Summit.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 03-01-2004).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Taijiguy carb's his 2.8L and added the matching Edelbrock cam, It has a lot more power than it did with the F/I system. I think it's estimated at about 180hp.

Actually, I didn't use the matched cam, I ordered a Speed Pro grind that I don't think is available any more. (I bought it from the Fiero store several years ago, but they stopped selling it because it wasn't an EFI design cam) It was the most radical grind I could find anywhere for the motor, and I called everywhere. It rumbles for sure.
The big difficulty I'm experiencing with my setup is getting the jets/power valve right. I'm seriously considering a move to a Rochester Q-Jet. (That or just going to a 350 swap). As for clearance, I built a shaker scoop that gets alot of attention. I'll post a pic when I can find one. When you put a carb on one of these, you can COMPLETELY dispose of the computer and all its associated wiring. I sold off everything and recovered about half the cost of my engine, which for the full rebuild was around 1700-2000. I had it punched out .040, gasket matched everything, ported the stock exhaust, and all the rest of the stuff you'd imagine. I suppose I'm at better than 200 h/p set up right now. If I could get my carb tuned better, I'm sure I'd make more. I love the way it sounds with that carb on there! I posted a .wav of it running 0-60 a couple years ago, it sounds nothing like a V-6.

Edit: I paid about 25 bucks for the distributor from a bone -yard, they pulled it. Another 10 or so for the advance kit.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 03-01-2004).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Orief. I guess I'll need also the lifters and springs, yes? Tks
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks. So what about the Distrubitor and ignition changes? Do I need to get a diffrent coil or not?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Thanks Orief. I guess I'll need also the lifters and springs, yes? Tks

The cam comes with new lifters already. www.northernautoparts.com sells the Comp Cams Heavy duty pushrods for $24 a set.
As for springs, Yes you will need new springs. The stock springs with that lift will bind. As for which spring, I am not sure. I had the machine shop guys take care of all that when I had my heads ported and such. I just gave them a copy of the cam card and they did the rest.

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif

16460 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Ok, thanks. So what about the Distrubitor and ignition changes? Do I need to get a diffrent coil or not?

You need a distributor from an 82-85 S-10 truck with the 2.8L.You need the mechanical and vacuum advance style distributor.
You can use the stock Fiero coil or any aftermarket coil for a "GM HEI with external coil".

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif

16460 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

The big difficulty I'm experiencing with my setup is getting the jets/power valve right. I'm seriously considering a move to a Rochester Q-Jet.

There is a guy locally who is going to try an Edelbrock 500cfm carb. He should be ready to fire it up by the end of the month. (It's on a bored/stroked 2.8L which is now a 3.2L) These are suppose to be easier to dial in than the Holley's.

PFF
System Bot
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

You need a distributor from an 82-85 S-10 truck with the 2.8L.You need the mechanical and vacuum advance style distributor.
You can use the stock Fiero coil or any aftermarket coil for a "GM HEI with external coil".

Yeah, but are there any aftermarket ones? Where on the net could I get one? I can't seem to find one.

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
last thing . lol. last bump (hopefully ).
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, but are there any aftermarket ones? Where on the net could I get one? I can't seem to find one.

If you mean the distributor, I bought a rebuilt one from Auto Zone. NAPA also sells them. I don't know of any aftermarket ones.
You could also try some of the S-10 forums.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Sorry if it sounded so rude, that was not the intention. I just had alredy decided on a 4-bbl before I even started the thread.

Ok, buying time is getting near and I'm trying to get my last bit of notes together before I do a final draft of all that I need. Here is what I have (pertaining to this post):

Edelbrok Torker II Manifold:
-Base: [jegs] 350-3785 ($149.99)
-Top (4-bbl carb): [jegs] 350-3789 ($89.99)
Holly 380cfm 4-bbl carb (8007): [jegs] 510-0-8007 ($279.00)
Air Filter: Edelbrock 10" Sig: [jegs] 350-1208 ($17.99)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (the one Arns said): [jegs] 650-4309 ($74.99)
S-10 Michinical Dist.: ?

Crap! I forgot to get the cam stuff. I'll post it when I get it. All the prices are fresh, I just went a minute ago and made shure. Thanks for all the help everyone, espically Oreif!

As an off topic note...I just noticed we got more avatar things! lol. cool! Did'nt have them yesterday ...or mabie they are just cheesy drapwn versions of what we alredy have...?

Oreif, if you have a stick, what clutch do you have? I'm looking for a "kit" that has everything I need (pressure plate, forks, etc). Thanks!

not a problem at all.. Just can't tell how people are 'talking' over the internet.. i apologize..

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
If you go with a radical cam, you absolutely want to replace the stock valve springs with something beefier. I found this out the hard way. When I first built mine, I thought I could reuse the stock springs. Not a chance. They float at around 4500-4800 and that sucks, since with my cam, that's just when it's really starting to gather itself up. EFI cam profiles have less slope to the lobes, they're more round. Carb cams have sharper slopes, and are more pointed, so it's like they launch the lifter right off the tip of the cam lobe, so they float something awful. Depending on the spring you might get away without machining the head, but I'm pretty sure double springs will absolutely require head work. Keep us posted on your progress, we're kind of a club within a club here, those of us with carbbed V-6's.
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

With the Edelbrock intake, 4-bbl riser, and the Holley 390 CFM 4-bbl, (model #8007) You will have exactly 2.75" of clearence for the stock decklid.

Orief:
As I understand, the 4-bbl riser you referred to is the Edelbrock pn 3789. Also, I seem to recall that you mentioned some type of spacer (from Edelbrock?) that is used to level the carb on transverse mounted applications. Please elaborate. Thanks.

------------------
FierOmar

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock