Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  11.25 Brakes, Camaro Iron Calipers Weight Exposed (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
11.25 Brakes, Camaro Iron Calipers Weight Exposed by David Bartlett
Started on: 02-04-2003 06:19 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: connecticutFIERO on 05-02-2003 11:47 AM
crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
That caliper is unrecoverable. Have to leave it to somebody else that has one.
IP: Logged
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mighty Mouse:
No piston seals - this means that the piston is not protected in anyway from dirt and grime, not to mention brake dust. Unless you enjoy regular cleaning maintenance on your front calipers this is not the best option. High maintenance is ok for race applications (which is what Willwood components are built for), but that’s where they belong, not on the street.
Now if you want big calipers and rotors for the front of your Fiero that are meant to be used on the street check these out: http://www.ultimategarage.com/bbfiero.html

First of all, there's no way in hell I'd ever pay 2800 bucks for JUST a front brake kit, that's ridiculous. Only a few weeks ago there was a complete Big Red caliper and rotor kit on ebay for 1000 bucks buy it now, and I could easily get the hoses and brackets for another 250 bucks max. This would be for *all four* corners. Anyway, they don't make a kit for 88s, so I'm SOL.

Also, I do know that there are no piston protection seals as many OEMs use. Initially I was worried this would be a problem, but I haven't heard of anybody having problems with it in the searching I've done, so I don't think I will. The Wilwoods are made from much better materials so it's less of an issue, and in the event that I do need to rebuild them, the parts are all readily available. The Wilwoods look like they're much easier to work on than the stock calipers, as well, so that's a bonus. I imagine I'll get at least a year without having to rebuild the calipers figuring 12-15k miles a year of normal driving. Of course, I may go to track days within that year, in which case I'll inspect the brakes anyway. Rebuilding the calipers isn't very convenient, but it's worth it to me for the many advantages the Wilwood calipers have. Speaking of advantages, they now have a forged Dynalite II with some added features, very attractive for performance and function!

I considered the Porsche calipers for a long time; the monoblocks are a very good design, and the big reds look as good as they work. I just couldn't justify the doubled cost for the gains they had. Slap the Porsche name on anything and it automatically costs more than it should!

Bryce
88 GT

mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2003 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:

That caliper is unrecoverable. Have to leave it to somebody else that has one.

Thanks Dave for the attempt. Maybe someone else will that up the challenge. Anyone else have a set of 88 calipers laying around that they could weigh?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 05-02-2003).]

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2003 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
Hope noboday is offended by my ignorance but here are some questions.

What is the easiest brake upgrade for an 88?

What needs to be changed for the upgrade?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock