Front hood strut, Any interest? by sluppy123
Started on: 02-14-2003 09:11 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: sluppy123 on 02-23-2003 12:46 AM
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I've been playing around with this idea for awhile, I know other poeple have done it but I don't think anybody is selling them.

These are just pictures of the protype I made, the finished parts may be slightly different(I have already made changes). It uses one gas strut, all the other parts are made of t-6 aluminum(could be painted or polished) Two holes would need to be drilled for the lower mount, while the upper mount uses the two bolts in the hood hinge.
The strut I used is strong enough to easily hold the hood up, but when it's closed there is no upward push on the hood. The strut dosen't start to push until the hood is about half way up, then it opens the rest on it's own.

Price would depend on how many people are intrested, probably $50-75

Any thoughts or questions just ask.

------------------
-Brian, Toolmaker
Lincoln, NE
Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged, Modified 2.8- 235 HP w/ 8 psi Boost, 11.25" brakes.
Maroon 87' GT- 5.7 liter TPI V8, 5-speed

[This message has been edited by sluppy123 (edited 02-17-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kameo Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post
yeah I might be interested in one maybe two to balance the look out. Is there or could there be a left and right or does one fit both sides. Would there still be no upward push with two ??

------------------

AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't Rodney Dickman do something like this?

I have yet to buy one... simply becasue I haven't gotten aroung to it.

If you offer them, chances are I'll snag one.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT T-Tops - IRM rockers soooooon.
1999 Infiniti I30 Turbo(336 HP at the ground)
1999 Eclipse GS-T Spyder Super 16G Turbo(Wife's Car... not dyno'd yet)

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
You have my attention!
The only thing I don't like about Rodney Dickman's is that it's in the stock location. I'd rather have it out of the way, like what you've done.
I was going to try something like this myself, but couldn't find a strut that had the right pressure.
If it's $50, I will definately buy it. If it'll be more, I'll probably still get it. When do you expect to start selling these?

I have another question. Where does the lower support mount to?

------------------

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 02-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 02-14-2003).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
If you've worked out the "strut push up" let me know how, i did this last year, but i don't like that when the hood is closed, the strut pushes the hood up on the corner, it just looks bad. Thanks

Rob

------------------

88 TTop coupe, soon to be fitted with a DOHC 3.4/5spd

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post

The pic above shows where the lover mount sits, this is an old picture I have made the mount longer so it can be bolted on easier.

Currently I don't plan on making a dual strut system, the radiator reservoir would need to be moved.

qwikgta- From the looks of the picture you posted, the reason your strut was always pushing up is beacause you bolted the strut directly to the hood bolt. Mine bolts closer to the hinge's pivot point. Plus I bolted the strut to a block which sticks down lower when the hood is closed, it still pushes up but not enough to move the hinge.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, but I would also like a dual setup-lots of wind out here all year long to be blowing on an open hood.
Are you going to sell them as a kit or just make & sell the mounting hardware & let people buy their own struts? I have nothing against anyone making a buck on any of their own work or ideas. I'm a machinist myself, & can mill out a set of mounting blocks easily enough-but my work ain't cheap .
But if I ever make one that works well & looks good, I intend to post sources & part #'s of the struts for all. You can bank on it. There is nothing I have, either physically or or in my head that the members here aren't welcome to. But, like I sdaid, that's just me.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
maryjane- I have no problem sharing the part numbers and sources, as soon as I'm happy with my design I'll share. But the part number for the strut won't do 95% of the poeple any good. How many people on the forum, let alone anywhere else are capable of cutting metal? Having the required store bought parts is only a small part of the problem. I could post dimensions for the mounting hardware, but who's going to be able to use them? This is true for all custom work, not just fiero related stuff. Just like you said "my work ain't cheap", any custom work isn't cheap, especially when it's metal work.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
So, are you going to try a dual support system? I'd be interested in one. When my hood is up out here, the wind shakes it around so much, that I'm afraid it's going to crack something.

Knowing what it takes to design & build an article such as this, & then try to recoup something for your efforts, I'll be glad to pay your price. Let us know. & NO!, I would NOT copy your design or divulge any of YOUR sources, if it sounded that way in my post.
Don

wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030204-2-026795.html

Instead of using the top hood hinge bolt use the bottom one. The top one will flex the hood up when it is shut.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in a couple,but what about the weight of a modified hood?My next car will probably have a vent I bought from Pat Kalsmith a while back.If two can be done it would alleviate Don's wind problem,look more balanced and be able (with different struts)to hold up a heavier hood.

------------------
Question my ability,question my intelligence,never question my integrity!

PFF
System Bot
tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i would be interested in one too.. but im with hugh... i got a hood scoop from Pat and my hood is a lot heavier..
keep us posted
Thanx
Jason

------------------

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I am going to try to make both dual and a single strut system. However today I experienced the problem everyone else had, when the hood was closed it bowed the hood. If the hood was reinforced this wouldn't be a problem, but with a stock hood my first protoype will not work. I started work on the second design today.
I don't think it will be a problem to hold up a heavier hood, it may require more effort to open it but it will stay open with no problems.
I'll keep everyone updated.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2003 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
talk to Skitime, he has a dual hood stur set-up in the location your installing yours

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Fiero mods almost done...i know that because im running out of possesions to sell for money

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2003 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I know skitime has dual struts but his hood is far from stock, with a stock hood the struts bow the hood when closed.
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2003 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
I used a $20.00 strong arm replacement strut and at first I connected it to the top hole on the hood hinge. I pushed up the corner when the hood was shut. Someone else on the forum figured out to use the lower hole and now there is no bowing. you can use the bracket from the stock hood prop to mount the back of the strut behind the headlight. Total cost is just over $20.00.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Here it is Dual struts.

Unlike my previous designs I mounted the strut up higher on the panel by the headlight bolts. This creates a very shallow angle, so when the hood is closed the strut is pushing parallel with the hood thus no chance of the hood bowing.

The only problem I found is the hood hinges can be off-center from the rest of the car. This create's a big problem when trying to squeez a gas strut between the radatior reservoir and the headlight door.

In the pic above you can see how close the strut comes to the bolt on the headlight door.(I only had clearance problems on one side, the other side I had ton's of clearance) It took some trial and error but I finnaly got it to work.
This will be my final design, A single strut will easily hold up a stock hood and probalby most of the modified hoods. With dual strut's having the balanced look and able hold up just about anything, yet when they close no pressure on the hood.

If there is any interest in this design LMK and I'll work out the details. I would rather just sell the required mounts and have the buyer purchace the struts. This would keep my cost down and the mounts would be cheaper.

FieroSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSoulSend a Private Message to FieroSoulDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list of interested members. I think you are on to something. I would just recommend that you take a page from Rodney's book and make it as minimally intrusive as possible.
That is one thing that makes Rodney's stuff so great...besides the fact that he is genious.

Dwayne

sailordude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sailordudeClick Here to visit sailordude's HomePageSend a Private Message to sailordudeDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in this mod. Will you ship to Canada?

How much for the dual setup?

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i would be interested in a dual setup... if you are going to sell them with out the struts, can you tell us where ya got them?
Thanx
Jason

------------------

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Interested! LMK when you’re ready!

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated! www.dirtyratracing.org

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
chalk me up on the "interested" list

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Chalk me up on the "more-than-just-a-little-interested" list for the dual set up.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Well, I just filled in the holes to the stock prop rod thing, so I hope you make this.
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Put me down as intrested.
My hood should be very heavy in the near future and will require a dual strut system.

Just selling the brackets and having the end user purchase the struts is a good idea.

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula T-Top # 1008 of 1252 (5 Spd White/ Grey)
Click here to go to my Web site

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 02-17-2003).]

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested also.
P.S. Thanks for the e-brake adapters and the front hubs.

------------------

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2003 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
count me in for one.

------------------
" TARGET=_blank rel="nofollow">http://lowfierogt.150m.com

86.5 GT, 18" wheels, GA CD brakes, ST brace, Leather, getting 3800 SC
88 Formula 5 speed T-Top stock,
88 GT, t-top, 3800

NorthStarTurbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthStarTurboClick Here to visit NorthStarTurbo's HomePageSend a Private Message to NorthStarTurboDirect Link to This Post

Me too.

Did I miss the price?

Rob

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I just about have all the production bugs ironed out, I've got all the hardware(ie fasteners)picked out, and awaiting delivery of some material. Once I get the material I will begin taking orders, Keep an eye out for a new post about cost and other details in a few days.

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sluppy123:

I just about have all the production bugs ironed out, I've got all the hardware(ie fasteners)picked out, and awaiting delivery of some material. Once I get the material I will begin taking orders, Keep an eye out for a new post about cost and other details in a few days.

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in a dual set also. If the final price is reasonable.

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
count me in and mabe for the dual one two and it would be nice to get the part number for the struts

Thanks

J Sokol

------------------

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
OH! OH! Me too, Me too,(waves arms frantically) I would like a dual set up as well! Prices!!

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once. Red 86 SE

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
See this thread if interested in ordering https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/012852.html

Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock