DUAL strut hood support by wuzzy
Started on: 09-08-2002 10:27 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 09-25-2002 01:12 PM
wuzzy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have info on this they are willing to give out? Like what size strut they are using and what the lift weight is? I know people are working on kits but my stock sopport is broke and want to do this mod but dont want to wait for a kit. I looked at rodneys but that puts the strut right back in the same spot and its always in the way. I want to put them on the front of the hood.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I tried to do the same thing.......there are so damn many....I never found one light enough, but I heard that one from like a 86 Buick skylark hood will work.......but I have no idea. Good luck.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
I know someone out there has answers.
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
*cough* *cough* skitime *cough*
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Drop a PM to Skitime. He's done this mod already, and should be able to help you.
mikemck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikemckSend a Private Message to mikemckDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice if Skitime or someone else posted the information here.

I am interested too and probably others are as well.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I haven't done it to mine, but another member posted a while back that he used the same part that Skitime used-4684 1030, & they were so strong when compressed that they bowed his hood. I don't know what brand they were using, & so far Skitime has not let out much info on it. You may be able to go here, find the diameter, extended length, retracted length, and then measure how much downforce your hood has, and send them the info. They will make a suggestion as to which struts to order. If you are going to use 2 struts(one on each side), be sure to divide the downforce wt of the hood by 2. Measure downforce, by hanging a scale on the open hood & see what it weighs I guess. They offer a service, where if the strut is too strong, you send it back, & they will decrease the pressure. http://www.guden.com/cgi-bin/inframe.pl?/dampers.htm
AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
I'd just use Rodney Dickman's kit. I priced out all the parts (struts are expensive), and I figured I'd save ~$20 by building it myself. Considering that Rodney's already done the engineering, and the fact that his stuff looks great, I think his daul strut kit is the best way to go.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
On every aircraft canopy I've built or worked on, I've used an adjustable gas strut from Carr McNaster. Don't remember the part number, but it's in their big catalogue. You pick the length you need. There is a valve which lets pressure out. This means you can reduce the presssure of the strut. Bad thing is you cannot put the pressure baack in, so release carefully and slowly.
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
from what I can find(maybe im looking hard enough)but the kit rodney sells is a single strut kit and it puts the strut right back in the same place. The whole point for me wanting to get the strut kit is to get that out of the way, if Im going to spend 60 or 70 bucks for a strut kit I dont want it back in the same spot.I would rather go to the salvage yard and get the stock unit for under 5 bucks.
Denny

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like a reasonable explanation of why anyone should feel obligated to share a unique customization technique. If lots of cars start showing up with the same customization, then it's not unique anymore.
PFF
System Bot
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
Well I did some looking around today and I found some struts that I think might work. They are from a company called strong arm (most auto parts stores carry them)and the part number I am going to try first is 4428. Its almost 16 inches long and is bolt mounted so you can attach it to the hood hinge bolt at the top and going to have to make a braket for the bottom. Going to try it today and I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post

wuzzy

639 posts
Member since Aug 2002
ok this was a very very quick test fit but this is what I found.I used one strog arm strut,($14.99)and mounted it to the top hood hinge bolt and than I wedged my ratchet under the spare tire well and used it to keep the strut from sliding back.A little effort was needed to close the hood but not enough to make the hood flex. When I released the hood it opened all by itself. Now I still need a bracket for the bottom but I was thinking of using the top bracket fron the hood prop, just drill out the rivet thing and there you go. The only thing I dont like is that you cant tighten down the top hood hinge bolt because you have to let the strut rotate a little.Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
For those of you that are interested I just finished my SINGLE STRUT hood mod.It works awesome and it was under $20.No more prop in the way, no more holding the release button while you try to keep the hood from slamming down and no more lifting the hood.When I pull the release under the dash the hood slowly opens and when I want it closed it is a one hand operation and it DOES NOT flex the hood.
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wuzzy:
For those of you that are interested I just finished my SINGLE STRUT hood mod.It works awesome

Some pictures? They do say several thousand words you know...

Timm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimmSend a Private Message to TimmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Denny:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like a reasonable explanation of why anyone should feel obligated to share a unique customization technique. If lots of cars start showing up with the same customization, then it's not unique anymore.

I just wanna say one thing, the fiero is unique. I very seldomly see a fiero on the road at all today. Then when you do you their trashed. Everyone outside the fiero community, usally talks bad about fieros.
So why not help each out, so you have the fiero that are left looking good!

wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
sorry dont have the picture thing down yet but all you need is a STRONG ARM STRUT part #4428, 1 8mm x 1.25" bolt and 1 8mm lock nut and a 8mm nut.All the other parts are all ready there. The strut is fron a 94 buick centry I think.First you take the top bolt out of the hood hinge.Put the new 8mm bolt through the the stru and put the 8mm nut on the bolt and turn it down to the strut but dont tighten it down all the way, the strut has to be able to move.Thread the new bolt into the hood hinge and use the nut to tighten it down,remember to leave enough room for the strut swing freely.Remove the hood prop from the car,use a stick or something to keep the hood open.drill out the rivet that holds the top bracket on.Use the old hood hinge bolt and the lock nut to bolt the bracket to the botton of the strut.Put the strut on the inside of the bracket,towards the mounting holes.Position the bracket on the metal frame under the headlight relay just in back of the headlight relay with the mounting holes facing out towards the radiator hose.Drill 2 holes and use the 2 bolts and 2 nuts you got from removing the hood prop to mount the bracket.Make sure it is out of the way of the headlight so it doesnt get caught on the strut.Thats about it
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
If you have the picture, you can e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you. I'd like to see a picture of this to see how it looks
And if you're sure the strut is from a buick century, I'll pick one up.

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

86 SE V6 - daily driver

wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
http://www.avminc.com/strongarm/buick.htm I will have to see if I can get a pic. just got a digital camera and not sure how to use it yet.
gt boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyDirect Link to This Post
wuzzy...that sounds great, i will be waiting to see the pics!!
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2002 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'll be waiting too.. this sounds awesome!
PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Have any pictures yet?
wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
no but put a hold on buying that strut.When I went out this morning I noticed the the strut was pushing the corner of the hood up a little so I sent the manufacturer a email and I have to call him tomorrow and give him some info and he is going to match up a strut for me. sorry for any misspelling and what not but Im drunk
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wuzzy:
no but put a hold on buying that strut.When I went out this morning I noticed the the strut was pushing the corner of the hood up a little so I sent the manufacturer a email and I have to call him tomorrow and give him some info and he is going to match up a strut for me. sorry for any misspelling and what not but Im drunk

haha best post ever!

------------------
Red 86 SE 2.8

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL... I actually bought the strut a week ago or so, just tried it last night.. I think I cracked my hood... LOL I took the strut out and the hood is still bent up in that corner.. Oh well.. It's an old one anyway. But yeah, that strut's a *bit* strong for the job..

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock