Started on: 09-05-2001 01:57 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 10-12-2001 09:55 AM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2001 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86seyellow:
I meant that I need the 120 speedo also, I have a 85 which I hate

Check with SmoooothGT in the mall... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/005182.html

IP: Logged
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2001 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Interesting project. Looks good.

A couple thoughts come to mind.

One issue you may already ahve thought of.... those inks need to be UV stable. Allot of regular inkjet ink and laser toner isn't. You don't want to put in all that work and have it fade in 6 months or less.

In order to get the gauge brightness right,,, you may have to play with the dash bulbs or the dimmer.

You may have to split the gauge lights off from the main dimmer transistor and add second one and play with some resistors.

If you go that route you'll need another dimmer transistor and wire harness connetor. Those are easy to get from any number of GM cars.

You then would connect it sort of parrallel to the original one. I say sort of because you'll need and adjustable resistor between the wire from the dimmer knob and the "base" terminal of the transistor.

You could also see about using white LED's instead of bulbs. The LED's could be positioned to reduce shadows from the gauge equipement on the gauge faces. It's a good amount of work but it would potentially provide more even light and eliminate lamp changes. (White LED's will outlast the car.)

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2001 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Ogre... thanks for your input!

I was concerned about the inks initially, but current inks from the epson are rated at 20+ years on specific papers... not sure how long that will last on the backlight material. Also, I'm going to work on a new Encad 850 8-color inkjet system to print a larger volume at once... The encad GX inks are rated at 25+ years when placed behind glass (plexi will do for now) and should last quite some time. If problems do occur, I can run them with a UV safe overlaminate on top, but that can produce some extra unwanted glare... only if necessary.

As for the lighting... I am a little concerned about brightness. I can either replace the standard (194?) bulbs with "hyperwhite" bulbs for more brightness.. or switch to LEDs. Which is why I'm not asking for pre-orders or anything... I want to be sure that this will work! I like the idea of the additional dimmer- I hadn't thought of that, but I'll keep it in mind.

Again- thanks for your input... glad to have your knowelege looking into my little project!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock