Drivers Upper Hinge Pin Replacement by canfirst
Started on: 11-24-2011 04:43 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 11-26-2011 08:36 PM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Just finished replacing the drivers side upper hinge pin with a big Thank You to jetman for his excellent instructions with photos and his bolt "helper" idea, it worked really well! Also used theogre idea to install an Oiltite M12 nylon washer to increase service life of door hinge and improve door operation.

Getting the old hinge and bushings out was a real challenge, but I did it without removing the door. Installing the new hinge pin was a snap (or I just ended-up being lucky on my first try).

I purchased a Dorman "HELP" Door Hinge Repair Kit #38402 instead of the suggested #38407 as the collar length and color exactly matched the existing hinge pin. Just had to grind down the tip a bit to match the length of the existing pin. Also purchased a bushings kit as the bushings that came with the #38402 kit had smooth collar walls instead of the grooved walls. I filed-down the grooves a bit so the bushings would fit more easily into the door hinge holes, then used the bolt "helper" idea with a wrench and ratchet to press down the bushings into place.

I lined-up the holes using my floor jack and installed a temporary 1/4" x 1 1/2" long bolt in the top hole, then drove the new pin up into place through the nylon washer, using a small hammer. It ended-up going in quite easily. Then replaced the outer door skin torx screw and I was done. The door no longer sagged, lined-up nicely with adjacent body panels, and now closes properly. Yeah!

------------------
New owner of 88 Fiero GT and second time owner of 1985 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notacityslicker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notacityslickerSend a Private Message to notacityslickerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Just finished replacing the drivers side upper hinge pin with a big Thank You to jetman for his excellent instructions with photos and his bolt "helper" idea, it worked really well! Also used theogre idea to install an Oiltite M12 nylon washer to increase service life of door hinge and improve door operation.

Getting the old hinge and bushings out was a real challenge, but I did it without removing the door. Installing the new hinge pin was a snap (or I just ended-up being lucky on my first try).

I purchased a Dorman "HELP" Door Hinge Repair Kit #38402 instead of the suggested #38407 as the collar length and color exactly matched the existing hinge pin. Just had to grind down the tip a bit to match the length of the existing pin. Also purchased a bushings kit as the bushings that came with the #38402 kit had smooth collar walls instead of the grooved walls. I filed-down the grooves a bit so the bushings would fit more easily into the door hinge holes, then used the bolt "helper" idea with a wrench and ratchet to press down the bushings into place.

I lined-up the holes using my floor jack and installed a temporary 1/4" x 1 1/2" long bolt in the top hole, then drove the new pin up into place through the nylon washer, using a small hammer. It ended-up going in quite easily. Then replaced the outer door skin torx screw and I was done. The door no longer sagged, lined-up nicely with adjacent body panels, and now closes properly. Yeah!

We are about to tackle this next. What is the additional bushing kit that you purchased?
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness! OP knows the madness since his sig says he got an 85 gt new.

I don't think I have seen that door hinge pin thread, could you point me to it?
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstDirect Link to This Post
Here is the link to jetman hinge pin replacement
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-066102.html

The Help bushings kit number is 38374 there are 8 bushings in the kit but you only need the bushings with the grooved collar.
Let me know if you need any further assistance.
Good luck!

------------------
New owner of Silver 88 Fiero GT and second time owner of 1985 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
many thanks for the help and happy fiero'ing!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock