Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  The "Getrag rattle", can it be silenced?? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
The "Getrag rattle", can it be silenced?? by 2.5
Started on: 04-22-2011 01:18 PM
Replies: 88
Last post by: 1fatcat on 05-07-2011 10:30 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

For example, I can't coast in 1st or 2nd gear, because the car will start to lurch, thanks to the slop in the gears. To keep the car from lurching, I have to keep the tranny gears loaded, either by accelerating or decelerating.

I like the idea of some tests of some sort. I suppose the lurch could happen due to motor mounts as well.
IP: Logged
1fatcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if the noise goes away with slight pressure on the clutch pedal? Not fully released, just some light pressure on the pedal.

Or does the clutch have to be fully released (pedal to the floor) to make the noise stop?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
On mine, the rattle stops with light pressure on the clutch pedal (maybe an inch or two of travel).

2.5 said: I suppose the lurch could happen due to motor mounts as well.

That was my first impression, too. But my Fiero has new motor & tranny mounts, plus a Rodney Dickman adjustable dogbone. And I installed a springless clutch disc, to rule out the clutch. If I listen closely, I can actually hear the gear noise as the car lurches back and forth at low speed.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-06-2011).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

Does anyone know if the noise goes away with slight pressure on the clutch pedal? Not fully released, just some light pressure on the pedal.

Or does the clutch have to be fully released (pedal to the floor) to make the noise stop?

When mine rattles it takes just a light pressure to stop it. Somtimes, if I let the pressure of easy, it won't rattle with the cluch all the way out.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 05-06-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
So is the noise definately in the trans, or might it be a throwout bearing, clutch spline rattle, even an engine thrust bearing? I just don't understand how it's been determined that the noise is coming from the trans, because if light clutch pedal pressure makes it go away, that means the input shaft is still spinning along with all the gears and stuff.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
But the transmission has noticeable gear lash. For example, I can't coast in 1st or 2nd gear, because the car will start to lurch, thanks to the slop in the gears.

Engine Mounts

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

If the gears were that worn, you'd have other problems.

Gears need to "loss" their hardened outer surface in order to wear. Once that hardened surface is worn through, the rest of the gear goes fast. It won't make it long at all once the wear exceedes a few thousandths of an inch. At the rotational speed of the gears, you would not be able to feel that little bit of wear in the seat of your pants.

[This message has been edited by 1fatcat (edited 05-07-2011).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

New TO bearings don't fix this problem, multiple people have replaced it in their getrags along with other parts and it just comes back.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f3...getrag-noisy-251154/

if the noise initially goes away after changing to a new TO bearing, but later comes back, then it IS the throwout bearing. perhaps everybody is just buying the same crappy cheap bearings?>

[This message has been edited by stickpony (edited 05-07-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Here's a thought on the T/O bearing. Can someone experiencing the problem try something? Get your car to start rattling, then safely park it on level ground and set the park brake, or block the tires. Then open the engine lid and try to manipulate the clutch release lever toward and away from the slave cylinder with hand pressure. Tell the results.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock