Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I Found a home for the 8-pin under-dash mystery plug! Prototype Rally Computer! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
I Found a home for the 8-pin under-dash mystery plug! Prototype Rally Computer! by mattman134
Started on: 09-28-2010 03:04 AM
Replies: 86
Last post by: mattman134 on 03-11-2011 04:44 PM
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
EDIT: Has ANYONE EVER seen a Fiero with the Rally computer installed? Is there anyone I can contact to find out, maybe GM engineers?

It turns out that the prototype mystery plug under the passenger side dash, taped to the convenience center wiring is indeed for a prototype rally computer. It was planned to display Instant MPG, Average MPG and Miles to destination. Unfortunately, the prototype never made it to production, so the plug was left in the harness.
There is even a page in the 86 service manual about the rally computer. All the wire colors match up.

there is an archive thread about it: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084305.html

If anyone knows about this "Rally Computer", please come forward with any information you have about it.

Thanks
Matt

[This message has been edited by mattman134 (edited 03-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nutherproject68

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
I wonder if there is a way to adapt a different rally computer to this connector.

------------------
Current vehicles:
1986 Fiero GT
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I can't see why not, you probably could get one from another car that has a similar computer and rewire it. We all know Gm has used the same wiring colors for alot of things. Now knowing this plug has alot of wiring going to one spot would make it easier to install someting...-Jason
mattman134

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
I checked with a multimeter and all the wires go where they are supposed to. The rally computer (if it would have made it into production) would have mounted in the dash where the dash pocket is now.

Matt
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I can't see why not, you probably could get one from another car that has a similar computer and rewire it. We all know Gm has used the same wiring colors for alot of things. Now knowing this plug has alot of wiring going to one spot would make it easier to install someting...-Jason

I did a quick check on ebay and a few other places for "rally computer" or "trip computer" and couldn't find anything from that era. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

I did a quick check on ebay and a few other places for "rally computer" or "trip computer" and couldn't find anything from that era. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Only thing I could find from that era was off an 80's Jaguar, with a big sticker on the back that said LUCAS.
mattman134

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
If you look in the 1986 service manual, on page 8A-87-0, it has the wiring to the rally computer. They call it Rally Computer in the manual.

Matt
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Only thing I could find from that era was off an 80's Jaguar, with a big sticker on the back that said LUCAS.

If I wanted to find an 80s 'rally computer' from GM, I'd look at Cadillacs, Buicks, and Saabs, to find a similar option.
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattman134:

If you look in the 1986 service manual, on page 8A-87-0, it has the wiring to the rally computer.

Matt

You must be looking at the on-line version because my hard copy jumps from 8A-80 straight to 8A-90. Interesting.
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

You must be looking at the on-line version because my hard copy jumps from 8A-80 straight to 8A-90. Interesting.

Both the 86 and 88 service manuals I have downloaded skip the same way. It would be great if somebody could upload a high-res image of the page.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
The caddys, buicks, and even some Oldsmobiles during the mid to late 80s had those trip computers available. I'd love to know where this connector you're speaking of is located? Are you saying it's behind the dash?

We have a spare slot on our Fiero in the gauge cluster... could probably put something there, who knows?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The C4 vettes of the 84-89 era had a DIC (driver information center).

There are quite a few on ebay fior $50... just do a search for DIC

Edit: that doesn't sound quite right and I am sure some will have fun with it.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-28-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The C4 vettes of the 84-89 era had a DIC (driver information center).

There are quite a few on ebay fior $50... just do a search for DIC

Edit: that doesn't sound quite right and I am sure some will have fun with it.

IIRC, that pic is of just the switches and idiot light pod. They control the cluster which has that digital stuff built in to it. I think a Grand Prix (early) would do the trick, it's a stand alone pod. You might be able to make that work...I'll see if I can find a pic of that. -Jason

like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFfhKs8GM8

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 09-28-2010).]

nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
It doesn't look like anything on ebay has an 8-pin connector like the one mattman134 found. I'm sure it would be possible to make one of the GM ones work with our cars but they are too expensive for me to experiment with.

*Edit to say that I couldn't find the connector on my 86GT. It might be hidden up above the heater box. I'll look tomorrow when I have more light.

[This message has been edited by nutherproject68 (edited 09-28-2010).]

PhilipFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilipFieroSend a Private Message to PhilipFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

IIRC, the pic your showing, that is just the switches and idiot light pod. They control the cluster which has that digital stuff built in to it. I thing a grand prix (early) would do the trick, it's a stand alone pod. Might be able to make that work...i'll see if I can find a pic of that. -Jason

like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFfhKs8GM8

Oooh I like the look of that!
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you could mate something from a Buick Reatta

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
That Reatta DIC is amazing. Is this plug only on '86s?
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:

That Reatta DIC is amazing. Is this plug only on '86s?

I couldn't find it on my 86 GT. It might be hidden above the heater box.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhilipFiero:

Oooh I like the look of that!

I've got that on my '92 GTP. I'll go take a look at it and snap a pic of the connector if I can get to it.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I just wonder if a caddy seville 86-88 DIC would plug in to the connector
PFF
System Bot
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Can't be sure, I'd have to take the whole console apart to get it out - but it looks like the '92 GTP DIC has the same size connector, about 4 pins wide. I checked my service manual but unfortunately it doesn't describe the connector or its pinouts (different volume).
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
crazyd, can you get some pics of the front of the DIC or the back of it?
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't really get my camera back there. The back of the housing is open, but it's shrouded and very difficult to see into it while contorted around on the floor with a flashlight. I'll take another look at it tomorrow in the daylight.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Even if the connectors don't match pin for pin. I'm sure the wiring is the same or similar...you could always rewire it.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
8 wires... what sort of wires are we talking about here? I imagine we are doing serial data, as well as power and ground, but that leaves another 5 wires?
mattman134

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
The 8 wires in the harness are:
GRY-Inst. Lamps
BRN-Tail Lamps
ORG-Battery
PNK-Fuel Gauge
BLK-Ground
BRN-Ignition
BRN-Speed signal
ORG-ALDL Pin E Data
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Here is what was near production. As usual, PMD spent all the money to develop this Rally Computer and at the minute the supplier was ready to ship the finished product to the plant, they cancelled the project. My sources tell me that there were pilot units at the Fiero Plant ready to install waiting for corporate to finalize the financial outlook of the option. Once again, the bean counters got involved and the option was never offered. Another issue I see is that engineering was still finalizing technical data as of February of 1985. In PMD timeline, this would have not been ready until MY1987.

It appears that the option code would have been UV4. Does the 86 Fiero described in this post have the RPO UV4 on the SPI tag on the left fender well under the front decklid?

I do not recall seeing this computer in another GM car. Athough, I am sure the development cost might have went to another GM car.

Fred
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Here is the rest of the PDM info I have. The dates on the sheets are even later, so I am in doubt as if the RPO UV4 would have been offered as an option in MY1986. As I stated, there is rumor that pilot units were at the plant. Another senario that has come up before is that different suppliers would have provided the different component parts. There is the possibility that the harness was there at the plant and got installed as a fitment test by that supplier.

mattman134, you have a somewhat unique piece there. In addition to searching for the RPO code, does the car have the compass sensor and harness running up the passenger side A Pillar with the compass sensor in the area of the inside rearview mirror?

This subject is a small glimpse of what the future of the Fiero had in store. There are several other items that were in design when the Fiero was cancelled.

Fred
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys. I thought I'd let you know what I've been up to for the past few hours. I found this one ebay last night: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...432924344&viewitem=. It's out of a 94 or 95 Grand Prix GTP. I got the wiring diagrams off of Mitchell while I was at school today. Here is the diagram for the DIC.

Well, I bought the item and I am going do my best to adapt this DIC to my car. Most of the inputs and outputs are pretty straight forward. The pigtail is included so I won't have any problem making a harness. I can get the outside air temp sensor and connector from RockAuto. I don't think I'll need the wire from pin B5. It looks like that just controls the measurement type for the HUD.

The biggest problem I foresee right now is adapting the unit to work with my 10 gal. fuel tank. I'm sure that the unit is programmed to assume that 88Ω is 17 gal. (the size of the GP tank). I'm sure there is a way to make it all work out.

[This message has been edited by nutherproject68 (edited 09-29-2010).]

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, odd that this wasn't included in the 90 prototype.
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my 86 & 87 GT's for RPO UV4 and neither have it.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome information!

I had found the schematics of the rally gauges in the preliminary 86 service manual, but the section is gone in my final 86 service manual, so the option must have been cancelled somewhere between editions.

Maybe I can add what I know to the knowledge pool:

The major difference between the 85-86 V6 ECM and the 87/88 V6 ECM is the addition of mileage code output. At the same time (to save memory?) the code for the knock sensor has been removed. Other than that, the ECMs are identical (with some knock sensor related components being missing on the newer ECMs).

Now, the mileage information is output on the ALDL line, and includes everything needed to display current and average mileage. When the ECM switches to diagnostic mode, the ALDL line outputs diagnostic information, but in normal mode ("road mode"), it outputs rally gauge MPG information.

But this information is not accurate enough to properly calculate current speed, distance, average speed, etc. That's why the VSS speedo pulses are required additionally.

The lights input is probably just for dimming the display, and the fuel sender input for calculating remaining fuel range based on current MPG.

I don't understand the mounting location though - a nice toy for the passenger, but too far away for the driver. I would have expected it to be mounted on top of/next to/instead of the rally gauges on the center console. Who pays for a probably quite expensive option and need a walking stick to reach the controls?

Anyway, it's funny, except for the fuel gauge info (which is usually far off anyway on all of my Fieros), this is pretty much what I have put on my DashScan as inputs - it also displays all of that information except for the fuel range, so you could plug DashScan into that connector...
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I went to the junkyard today on lunch and got one of the Grand Prix STE units ( I seen it a few weeks ago, but had no tools to take it out) as luck would have it, it was still there. I fired it up to make sure it works, which it appears to with no issues. Although, the display screen is bit dirty. It came out of a 93 with a 3.1.

Connector is a 16 pin connector and all cavities are filled.

Pin colors are I labeled the ones I know..
A-1 Orange = B+
A-2 Pink/Blk = Switched B+
A-3 Brown
A-4 Brown/White
A-5 Brown/White
A-6 Drk Green
A-7 Orange = Data bus
A-8 Black = Ground

B-1 Lt grn/blk
B-2 Black
B-3 Gray = Lighting
B-4 Lt green
B-5 Lt/blue
B-6 Purple
B-7 Pnk/White
B-8 Black = Ground

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 09-29-2010).]

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sparing me from having to take mine apart.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyd:

Thanks for sparing me from having to take mine apart.

No prob, I don't think you would want to take it apart just for a pic...it was a pita and I didn't even have to put it back together....
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00

Do you want me to try and get a diagram for that DIC?
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

Do you want me to try and get a diagram for that DIC?

I tried but I came up short, the only one I could find was for a 90 GP DIC which is slightly different (LCD vs. VFD)...If you can find one that'd be cool. -Jason
mattman134

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Here is what was near production. As usual, PMD spent all the money to develop this Rally Computer and at the minute the supplier was ready to ship the finished product to the plant, they cancelled the project. My sources tell me that there were pilot units at the Fiero Plant ready to install waiting for corporate to finalize the financial outlook of the option. Once again, the bean counters got involved and the option was never offered. Another issue I see is that engineering was still finalizing technical data as of February of 1985. In PMD timeline, this would have not been ready until MY1987.

It appears that the option code would have been UV4. Does the 86 Fiero described in this post have the RPO UV4 on the SPI tag on the left fender well under the front decklid?

I do not recall seeing this computer in another GM car. Athough, I am sure the development cost might have went to another GM car.

Fred

I just checked my 86SE and the 86GT. both have the plug under the dash, but no UV4 code. My cars dont have the compass wiring either.

Matt
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
My 88 Beretta had the DIC. Is it possible that it was an offshoot of the planned Fiero unit? Does anyone have info on the Beretta?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock