Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Some say this can't be done, a V12 install (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Some say this can't be done, a V12 install by Russ Fiero
Started on: 05-24-2009 09:16 PM
Replies: 146
Last post by: G_Reaper on 06-27-2011 12:43 PM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I love it

it just goes to show you, like I was saying in another thread anything can be done
just time and money.

nice build, keep us posted
D.

edit.... I own page 2

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 05-26-2009).]

IP: Logged
switta

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swittaClick Here to visit switta's HomePageSend a Private Message to swittaDirect Link to This Post
outstanding ! love to see someone take on a challenge like that .
i have done it elongated but what you are doing is amazing !
http://switta.com/Images%202/100_1628.JPG

Dave

[This message has been edited by switta (edited 05-26-2009).]

Titleist75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Titleist75Send a Private Message to Titleist75Direct Link to This Post
That car has got to be scary fast to the point of all passengers must either wear adult diapers or sign an upholstery waiver.

[This message has been edited by Titleist75 (edited 05-26-2009).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Titleist75:

That car has got to be scary fast to the point of all passengers must either wear adult diapers or sign an upholstery waiver.

Those BMW V12's are known for their smoothness not for their record setting performance. I believe either Rolls Royce or Bentley uses these engines in their cars. It's basically a 300HP torque engine designed to power a luxury car. It will probably propel a Fiero to some decent 1/4 mile times but I understand the objective here isto stive for a unique Fiero. Russ doesn't seem to indicate that he is going for the 1/4 mile record. After viewing pictures of Russ work, it looks like he will get the engine to fit. He's building a whole new car!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I don't think it matters what horsepower or 1/4 mile this car gets. A true V-12 is sweeeeet!!!
I can't wait to hear it running. (in my mind I'll probably compare it to the Lamborghini Miura V-12 -- Everyone has to hear that engine.. so smooooth)

Yes, that is the v12 I have, and I agree that it sounds very nice!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Yes, that is the v12 I have, and I agree that it sounds very nice!

You have a real Miura? S, SV, Jotta?
Pictures!!!!!

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
This is very very nice! It's good to see something different! + for creativity

What are you planning to do to the exterior of the car?

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT 3800s/c, 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com
www.hausofguru.com

Fiero-117A

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-117ASend a Private Message to Fiero-117ADirect Link to This Post
this is absolutly awesome man. im not real big into bmw but this is truely a fabracators wet dream. i give it two thumbs up.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2009 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
We're waiting for more...

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

RUFAZZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUFAZZSend a Private Message to RUFAZZDirect Link to This Post
This is the crazyness that I LOVE!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
OxygenMask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OxygenMaskSend a Private Message to OxygenMaskDirect Link to This Post
BUMPED! For all of you who say he should have done a 3800 v-6...think about the sound of a v-12. It's gonna make MUSIC. Progress?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OxygenMask:

BUMPED! For all of you who say he should have done a 3800 v-6...think about the sound of a v-12. It's gonna make MUSIC. Progress?

I don't believe that anyone of us is saying that Russ should have chosen an easier engine install. The choice revolves around what the builder wishes to achieve in terms of economy, performance, cost of modifications, ease of installation and in Russ' case uniqueness. We can say conclusively that V12 or not, this will not be the fastest 1/4 mile Fiero but it certainly will be a one of a kind installtion.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
If he can get the DME to run correctly, it should be good for at least high 12's, which is by no means slow.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I couldn't care less if it was pulling less than stock in the 1/4, I want to hear that thing running behind me, pushing against the firewall every time I tap the accelerator. Man the music that Fiero will make.

Brad
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

If he can get the DME to run correctly, it should be good for at least high 12's, which is by no means slow.

you mean DME's....there are two of everything so that it can operate as two independent six cylinders.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand, there are three... One for ignition & throttle for each bank, a third for fuel control for the whole engine.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
depends on the year of the 750il.
Dave
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Probably does. I'm going by a build thread on BimmerForums in which a guy transplanted a V12 into an E34.
RUFAZZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUFAZZSend a Private Message to RUFAZZDirect Link to This Post
any new updates?

This is beautiful....
Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post
moar
plox
tnks
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
mini-bump
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
No replies may mean that it "can't be done".
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
i like this one !

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B H3 turbo and a S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

No replies may mean that it "can't be done".

Russ has always been more of a doer than poster. It could also mean his day job has him swamped... this is their busy time of the year.

Russ, do I need to come up there to take some pics?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Just thought I'd add my two cents in here, a few people have been mentioning that it's not worth it (when he's already 1/2 of the way through).

The motor is a 5.4 liter, which, while smaller than a normal 5.7 liter, is smaller, but it's also smoother, with a more linear torque curve. I think these motors put out over 400 ft-lbs of torque in stock form.

A V8 will never sound as nice as a comperably sized V12.

So, I think this swap is awesome, and I look forward to hearing it run...

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

Russ Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
Have a few more brackets and adapters made.
Started off with no A/C but I figured better do it now or wouldn't do it later.

This is the original BMW alt bracket it holds the alt and the P/S pump and has the holes for the oil filter in and out.
The original position for the A/C compressor was on the other side of the engine right where the R/S tripod goes now
So I made an adapter plate for the oil lines and added a few more holes for temp sender and a oil pres sender.

Then a new alt and compressor bracket bolts over it.

Have a fill/surge tank made and mounted.

This runs a hose over to the upper hose adapter.

The BMW hoses are 1 3/4 upper and lower so this adapter is 1 3/4 on one end and 1 1/4 on the other and has a bend to clear over the alt.
This is a picture of the lower hose/thermostat adapter.

Here is the middle oil pan it has been modified to lay flat on this side to clear the carrier brg.

It also has a red sealer sprayed on the inside.
This is windage tray with red sealer.

Here is the double y pipe.

This was made with the original pipes cut up and rewelded.
The engine has split manifolds so the two need to tied together for the o/2 sensors.

This is the lower oil pan modified for a new dipstick the old one got cut off in the middle oil pan mod.

Whynotreuse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhynotreuseSend a Private Message to WhynotreuseDirect Link to This Post
I look at this project as a work of art. In my opinion auto customization/restoration is an under appreciated art form. I can barely draw stick people but managed to earn a box of trophys I won for several restoration projects over the years. If it performs well in the quarter thats a bonus. This is art man and I'm impressed. Rock on!
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Man keep it up thats all I can say! keep the pics comin! and If you decide that it's not your cup of tea when ya get done I'll take her off your hands

GOOD JOB.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Good job... Id love to see the finished job. It will be truely a unique car. Dont matter how fast it is, speed limits are still the same. Cool factor is way up there. You might even inspire me to try a dream car project myself....a Fiero with a 426 Hemi Mopar.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
you know unlike my job as a welder, this looks fun. custom frame for everything. anything. AWESOME! pardon my ignorance but will this sound like a lambo? say maybe old countach, 1986 ish. cannonball run movie first 10 seconds. pure music!! atta' boy for orignallity. see you at the end.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
It was a holiday weekend... you should have more pictures!

Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
AMAZING

AWESOME

INCREDIBLE

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

Check out my restoration!

TrackMagicWS6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackMagicWS6Send a Private Message to TrackMagicWS6Direct Link to This Post
bump
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
wow this is pretty sick.. what kind of power do you expect to get out of this motor and what trans are you using.... can't wait to see this all done looks crazy
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
bump!
burntwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for burntwoodSend a Private Message to burntwoodDirect Link to This Post
What a great thread so far! Hope you keep it rolling, Russ!

------------------
* 1984 Black Fiero SE (1995-1998) blown tranny - rest her soul
* 1988 Black Fiero Formula (2001-2004) Was to be a 3800SC, badly rusted rear frame.
* 1988 White Fiero GT (2009 - Present) This one's a keeper!

Bdub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BdubSend a Private Message to BdubDirect Link to This Post
I've been reading a lot of build threads/construction zone threads where after a while the people just disappear. I always wonder what happened or if they finished the job. What I'm getting at is that I hope your not one of those people! This is amazing and awesome.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock