Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread by buds
Started on: 01-06-2008 11:00 PM
Replies: 139
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 04-01-2011 12:20 AM
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Still have to wet sand it but its coming along

IP: Logged
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I wish that I had the talent and know how on how to paint a car. I love the white, it's BY FAR my favorite color on the Fiero. And w/ the N*, it just makes it something else.

Great thread Bud, and very nice looking ride you have there too. I have .pdf'd more than my fair share of your thread as a reference for sure.

--Allen

------------------
And it begins again...

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Wow, I wish that I had the talent and know how on how to paint a car. I love the white, it's BY FAR my favorite color on the Fiero. And w/ the N*, it just makes it something else.

Great thread Bud, and very nice looking ride you have there too. I have .pdf'd more than my fair share of your thread as a reference for sure.

--Allen

Thanks Allen...I love white too...Obviously. Just orderered rims and tires so now I really need to sort out the last few details on the swap so I can finally DRIVE it
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Edit: I guess I now have two questions:
Buds,
What did you use for a throttle cable??

And, I noticed on your oil filter adapter, you have the ports for an external cooler. What did you do here? I have the same thing, and I'm unsure what to use. (The cooler I bought seems too small).

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-27-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Edit: I guess I now have two questions:
Buds,
What did you use for a throttle cable??

And, I noticed on your oil filter adapter, you have the ports for an external cooler. What did you do here? I have the same thing, and I'm unsure what to use. (The cooler I bought seems too small).

Bob

The throttle cable from an 88 4 cyl fiero works good...I had to cut out about 1/2" on the TB mount otherwise you'll Idle around 4G's and thats not so good. I will have to get a good pic for you.

I used the stock cooler from the STS mounted in the Pass side wheel well but later found it leaked so I just went and bought a new cooler thats the same size...Some N* swaps are running no cooler at all so I think the smaller one should be fine. You can see it in this picture but I did end up having to move it inward a bit to allow for the IMSA scoops.

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 06-28-2008).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Buds...That's an awefully small picture, I can't see anything.

I wasn't so much worried about the physical size as I was the inlet and outlet port sizes. I didn't want it to be a restriction. So, I just picked up an adapter without the cooler ports. I'm going to use that until I figure out what to do. I did see an STS with the cooler, so I know where I can get one.

Did you use the STS hoses, too?? Just wondering if they will fit. If they do, I may grab it before everything is cut out of that car. Then use this cooler for the trans.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-28-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob

The stock hoses do fit but when I switched coolers I ended up cutting the stock hoses a little shorter. If I could have found a blockoff adapter like you have I probably would have left it off.

I have a better pic of the cooler at home but for now here are the throttle pics I have. I removed about 3/8" and re-welded back on. Hope it makes sence to ya.

The cable does fit in snug but I thought the zip tie would be a little insurance.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Thank you much...
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:
Some N* swaps are running no cooler at all so I think the smaller one should be fine.

I ran mine without a cooler. On sustained hard running (Deal's Gap or 3-4 back-to-back AutoX runs), the engine would start to make valvetrain noise. I won't run it without a cooler or coolant heat exchanger again.

Be VERY careful about cleanliness of cooler lines. That's a VERY easy way to pump debris into your bearings, as the cooler is "downstream" of the filter when using the Northstar filter adapter.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
thanx Will...
The_Ikon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2008 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread! Also good luck with your sell...
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Bump for new guys
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
Great info, it's been a while since I read through this thread, I'm slowly working towards a N* swap of my own with an 88 cradle swap , using a 4T60 and custom torque converter from chrfab. Rob
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I've read through this thread several times too. Lots of good info here that I'll be referring to as I (slowly) piece my N*/F40 swap in a 3" stretch. I don't suppose you'd be interested in selling (or loaning) your TimeSert tool kit to a fellow Canadian and PFF'er, eh?
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I've read through this thread several times too. Lots of good info here that I'll be referring to as I (slowly) piece my N*/F40 swap in a 3" stretch. I don't suppose you'd be interested in selling (or loaning) your TimeSert tool kit to a fellow Canadian and PFF'er, eh?

Sorry but I sold it a while ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thats the kit I bought

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Hi buds,

congrats on getting her driving!

I was going through your thread again and noticed something with the serpentine belt. I figure if you ever hear your alternator squealing this may be why. On the other hand you may have it routed correctly and I might have it wrong...

yours:

Mine:

yeah, i noticed that as well, quite obvious actually, i am surprised nobody else in the thread noticed that. What I am surprised at though is that the belt even fit considering it is routed improperly.

STILL an incredible swap. so much attention to detail, truly a show stopper...
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Keeping out of the archives....Bump

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 03-30-2011).]

IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
Nice, nice, nice.

With my oil cooler, I used the stock cadillac Vin 9 hose ends and cut the hoses short and had a hydraulic shop make the ends for my B&M oil cooler. Mine also fits in the passenger side wheel well behind a Fiero Warehouse scoop.

I have brass adapters that I screw on the oil cooler hoses for prelubing access to the engine after a tear down or oil pump replacement, etc....

Wish I could get my engine management running right. Still working on it.
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I dont know why people dont just use the stock computer...Mine ran great...I am not into tuning and such and with the stock computer it wasn't nessesary
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
I originally went with the stock computer from a 95 and the Howell engine harness. However, I let myself be talked into the LS1/Shelby program running a manual tranny...which I still think is a good system. BUT, mine has a hot idle issue. It just won't idle after it gets up to operating temp after a Wide Open Throttle. Once I do that, it won't idle. I've tried everything i can think of regarding sensors, vacuum leaks, and various tunes from AJ. Still nothing works. As far as I know, I'm the only one with a problem using the Shelby program. I have 272 cams.

I'm working on my second N* swap with my sons 85GT. This time, I will run the stock 95 PCM/throttle body and Auto trans. I have the cradle built and will be making my own harness and keeping it close to stock as possible to make sure it runs right. I'll get to it after all my teaching is done at the end of this semester. Then maybe I'll have a fiero daily driver again!

Shoot, when I did my 3800SC, it was way easy compared to this N* swapping! But, nothing compares to a high revving V8.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock