Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
88 GT 5 speed Northstar Swap Thread by buds
Started on: 01-06-2008 11:00 PM
Replies: 139
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 04-01-2011 12:20 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
If you're using an ECM with EECS control, just plumb the vacuum line to the EECS solenoid, then plumb the output of the solenoid to the control port on the Fiero vacuum canister. Plumb the flow line as stock for Fiero and Cadillac.
IP: Logged
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

near the bottom of this page you'll see some pics and a brief discription:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/054893-8.html

I think for the use on the Fiero canister system, it's nice to have the port enter about 1/4" in front of the throttle plate. Idle issues are a problem with most N* ECMs being used at the moment, so having the port a ways away will keep opening of the vapor canister delayed until well above idle.
Russ544

Just so I am clear Russ...Your hole is entering the throttle bore in front(drivers) or behind(passenger) of the butterfly ?
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

Originally posted by Will:

If you're using an ECM with EECS control, just plumb the vacuum line to the EECS solenoid, then plumb the output of the solenoid to the control port on the Fiero vacuum canister. Plumb the flow line as stock for Fiero and Cadillac.

I am not sure if I have an EECS solenoid....Where do I find it ?
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:
Just so I am clear Russ...Your hole is entering the throttle bore in front(drivers) or behind(passenger) of the butterfly ?

you want the port to be on the air filter side of the throttle plate. in a ported vaccum system there is no vaccum at the idle possition (throttle plate closed) then as the throttle plate opens it exposes more and more of the port which allows more and more vaccum. it's this signal that tells the vapor canister to dump more fuel vapors. you don't want the vapors entering the engine at idle or it would upset the idle quality.

Russ544
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Still plugging away...I pulled all the suspension bushings out and ordered poly so I have been painting alot of parts. Also ground off my spring perches for coilovers.

Picked up a coilover kit at a local race shop here today-----> www.grisdale.com Good guys and everything in stock plus dave the parts guy has a fiero. I went with 7" collars and 300# QA1 springs.

And just finished coating the engine bay and wheel wells with duplicolor truck bed coating...Very nice stuff. Ordered some Thermo tec heat barrier for the firewall and trunk area...So once I get that which hopefully will be tomorrow the motor goes back in.... for the last time

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 04-10-2008).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Picked up a coilover kit at a local race shop here today-----> www.grisdale.com Good guys and everything in stock plus dave the parts guy has a fiero. I went with 7" collars and 300# QA1 springs.

You'd be better off with your stock top plate on that spring. It'll go back together better and spread the force on your strut towers out more.

Nice toolboxes.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-11-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You'd be better off with your stock top plate on that spring. It'll go back together better and spread the force on your strut towers out more.

Nice toolboxes.

The top was included in the kit so I just put it there for a pic...I am going to weld up a proper top plate to keep the spring centered.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
On the early cars, the stock top plate does a good job of that by itself. No need to weld.
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 04-27-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 04-27-2008).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure if I have an EECS solenoid....Where do I find it ?

The EECS solenoid is a little box about the size of a Fiero fuel pump relay. It has two vacuum connections and a two pin electrical connector. The stock Cadillac location for it is bolted with a single screw to the rear valve cover right next to the throttle body.
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I'm running and running goooooooooooood. Had a some poppin first try but had two plug wires mixed up. Runs great and sounds awsome...No leaks...fires right up, good Idle even I'll get some pics when my wife comes home from Vacation.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

I'm running and running goooooooooooood. Had a some poppin first try but had two plug wires mixed up. Runs great and sounds awsome...No leaks...fires right up, good Idle even I'll get some pics when my wife comes home from Vacation.
Time to party!

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Heres a much needed update...Its running and driving and sounds sweet.

My Cold air intake...Still need to buy some scoops.

My Moroso remote fill jug....A little awkward to fill but it works.

Suspension with new poly.

And finally done with only a few issues I'll deal with after I paint.

I trailered down to my shop tonight.....Needs a bit of work on the body but starting that sunday. It had a bad respray....was originally red but changed to white quite a few years ago.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Took a video but you tube no worky...Soon.

edit: Its Late

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 05-17-2008).]

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Think its working now

Video

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cYCcj7R5Gfo"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cYCcj7R5Gfo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Edit: dont think its working yet

But here is one from last winters project.....Smaller scale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstJP0q30_4

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
Third times a charm...Good night

Running Northstar video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCcj7R5Gfo

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
that sounds evil ...Have you driven it yet? I just got back from the shop working on my swap and this really motivates me to get it done reeeal soon ...
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Hi buds,

congrats on getting her driving!

I was going through your thread again and noticed something with the serpentine belt. I figure if you ever hear your alternator squealing this may be why. On the other hand you may have it routed correctly and I might have it wrong...

yours:

Mine:

Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great man!
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
Oh, SWEET!

Nice swap, lots of great info, thanks for sharing!!

------------------
~Michael

Project IMSA Formula Coming Soon!
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!! - "Your mileage may vary."

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

. More info, please???

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post

My Moroso remote fill jug....A little awkward to fill but it works.

Vey nice work, and you have accomplished this in a fairly short time too. I envy you for that.
Where did you buy your remote fill jug and where do you have it tied into? I tee'd into the thermostat hose connection, and have a 1.25" riser hose with a filler neck and cap but I like your setup better. Also, is your overflow hose run to an overflow bottle or just to the ground?
Dave.

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

that sounds evil ...Have you driven it yet? I just got back from the shop working on my swap and this really motivates me to get it done reeeal soon ...

Drove it some more today....I have some clutch slipping issues.....Either I have way more power then a spec3 can hold or I screwed up...I'm thinking the later. I remember the guy I bought it off was having clutch issues and I think he put on a 4 speed slave...I'll have to look into it more.

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Hi buds,

congrats on getting her driving!

I was going through your thread again and noticed something with the serpentine belt. I figure if you ever hear your alternator squealing this may be why. On the other hand you may have it routed correctly and I might have it wrong...

Thanks....I thought about going your way as well.....Its kind of a toss up...My way has more wrap on the crank pully and A/C and your has more on the altenator...Time will tell.

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

Sounds great man!

Thanks to your headers

Originally posted by TRiAD:

Oh, SWEET!

Nice swap, lots of great info, thanks for sharing!!

Thanks TRiAD....Haven't seen you on here in a while....I remember a few years ago you were very active here.

Originally posted by RCR:

. More info, please???

Bob

Pretty easy to make.... I cut down the stock Caddie intake tube or you can just use a silicone coupler. Bought 2 - 3 1/2" mandrel bent 90's and an airfilter with a 3 1/2" inlet.

Originally posted by Daviero:
Vey nice work, and you have accomplished this in a fairly short time too. I envy you for that.
Where did you buy your remote fill jug and where do you have it tied into? I tee'd into the thermostat hose connection, and have a 1.25" riser hose with a filler neck and cap but I like your setup better. Also, is your overflow hose run to an overflow bottle or just to the ground?
Dave.

Thanks Dave...I started to hook up like you have done but thought it would be nice to use the empty space where mine now sits...I started with a VW tank but really didn't like the looks of it...Found this one on ebay. Overflow is to the ground and the overflow up front is still hooked up...I might change this up yet.

Mike

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
There is a funny noise now evident from trans area and my clutch is slipping....I see putting my hoist to use in the near future.

A video from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwC7l6ZklEM
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

There is a funny noise now evident from trans area and my clutch is slipping....I see putting my hoist to use in the near future.

A video from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwC7l6ZklEM

Oh man that made my day! ..SHWEEET!! about 52 seconds into the vid it sounds very turbo like ...You have a real beast there. Sorry to hear about your clutch issue ..It really pulls the front up for a slipping clutch, wish mine slipped like that ....if it was going to slip

Anyway, this is my fav vid and is very theraputic ..I see the light at the end of the tunnel

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 05-18-2008).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
One possibility that I can think of is there may be oil coming out of the flywheel bolts getting onto the clutch. A remote possibility but I did notice oil on my flywheel and flywheel bolts when I put the flywheel on with no sealer on the bolts to crank the motor over. The second time I installed the flywheel it has sealer but not the correct stuff so it may still leak over time. Given enough oil and time it would run right onto the flywheel clutch mating surface. I hope your issue is something else that is easy to fix.
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

One possibility that I can think of is there may be oil coming out of the flywheel bolts getting onto the clutch. A remote possibility but I did notice oil on my flywheel and flywheel bolts when I put the flywheel on with no sealer on the bolts to crank the motor over. The second time I installed the flywheel it has sealer but not the correct stuff so it may still leak over time. Given enough oil and time it would run right onto the flywheel clutch mating surface. I hope your issue is something else that is easy to fix.

Hmmm....Sealer eh ? I used loctite but didn't know I had to seal them. What sealer is recomended ?
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

buds

621 posts
Member since Jul 2000
Yesterdays progress was good. Had my brother in law working on cab corners for his truck as well as a buddy helping me sand my hood and trunk. I am gona do a panel off paint job since I am changing colour.

Shop yesterday

Had to glass over some holes in the trunk as I moved my wing back, fix a crack in the back drivers side corner as well as the stock antenna hole as I put on a roof mount.

I figure I have come this far I miswell clean and paint the under the hood as well. This is going to be one clean 88

[This message has been edited by buds (edited 05-19-2008).]

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeDirect Link to This Post
If you have any details on how you mounted the roof antenna, including photo's please post as I am very interested in doing the same thing.

Also, where did you get your antenna and what kind of antenna is it?

Very nice job by the way, hopefully you'll bring it down to Mapleview or Applewood on a Wednesday night when it's complete!
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

If you have any details on how you mounted the roof antenna, including photo's please post as I am very interested in doing the same thing.

Very nice job by the way, hopefully you'll bring it down to Mapleview or Applewood on a Wednesday night when it's complete!

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the install but basically I removed the third brake light and drilled a small pilot hole up through the roof. Then I stepped up to a 1" hole saw to cut through the metal above the light. Finally drilled down through the roof with a 1/2" bit.

I bought the antenna about 7 years ago (e-bay) to install on one of my fieros....4 fieros later finally got around to it.

I will get out to mapleview for sure this season.

Mike
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

BUMP

Keep up the good work. I envy you. Here's a plus for such a good thread.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:
BUMP

Keep up the good work. I envy you. Here's a plus for such a good thread.

Dave

Thanks Dave....Not much new here. Still sanding
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm....Sealer eh ? I used loctite but didn't know I had to seal them. What sealer is recomended ?

I took a quick look at my engine book and apparently the sealer is already on the new bolts (for the flexplate.) Will has mentioned some info before concerning the correct sealer. Hopefully he will chime in and let us know what to use.
gunslinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunslingerSend a Private Message to gunslingerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

That antenna is a Betina Fuba you can find them on ebay.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I took a quick look at my engine book and apparently the sealer is already on the new bolts (for the flexplate.) Will has mentioned some info before concerning the correct sealer. Hopefully he will chime in and let us know what to use.

IIRC, I just used Permatex on the flywheel bolts. There's no pressure behind them, so it's not a tough sealing job like sealing the case halves is.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Will. That is a relief as I used the same.

My mistake buds, I was mixed up on the info. Please post when you find out what is going on with your clutch. Mine is the spec 3hk mated to the spec aluminum flywheel. I am still a ways off from driving it though.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

Friendly Bump
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Hey Buds, I've been following your N* 88 GT project since the beginning. Its nice to start a project especially a rust free fiero.
I gotta say, those rust-free fiero are hard to find in Canada. Sometimes a fiero project can last over a year or more, but once on the road it always brings back a grin.

Hope you enjoy it.

Plus a bump for a "in the works" Canadian rust-free fiero project.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post

Thank you Will. That is a relief as I used the same.

My mistake buds, I was mixed up on the info. Please post when you find out what is going on with your clutch. Mine is the spec 3hk mated to the spec aluminum flywheel. I am still a ways off from driving it though.

I should be driving it again in 2 weeks...Painting it this week-end then back to the N* trouble shooting.

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Hey Buds, I've been following your N* 88 GT project since the beginning. Its nice to start a project especially a rust free fiero.
I gotta say, those rust-free fiero are hard to find in Canada. Sometimes a fiero project can last over a year or more, but once on the road it always brings back a grin.

Hope you enjoy it.

Plus a bump for a "in the works" Canadian rust-free fiero project.

Yes they are hard to find...I gave up and drove 9 hours each way to Longisland Ny for this one.

Update: WOW.....sanding in 100 degree wheather sucks. It was rust free but the body needed quite a bit of work. I am doing a panel off paint job this week-end so I'll put up some pics of my progress this week-end.
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Its getting closer...Spent a long hot week-end painting and for my first one it turned out very good. Friday night we set up the make shift booth and finished any prep work. My brother-in-law was also doing some paint work on his Z-71.

$460 of Supplies

Starting to tape....This is the one area I spent alot of time at.

All ready for primer saturday morning.

Laying on the primer

And the Oxford white basecoat then clear.

I have started to assemble it now....I need rims and tires and some time to fix a few swap problems then its done.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock