2.8 3.4 intake. by Hockaday
Started on: 03-03-2010 11:27 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: DefEddie on 03-09-2010 05:18 PM
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
yeah really...plus they're just cooler =) everfired up a 400 and reved it? fricking shakes the car as it idles an you can hear the air being sucke though...=shivers= best feeling in the world

------------------

IP: Logged
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post

Hockaday

2165 posts
Member since Sep 2009
i've read alot about swapping cams and lifters. is this required or just recommended...or purely performance? ( with the carb set up )

------------------

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

i've read alot about swapping cams and lifters. is this required or just recommended...or purely performance? ( with the carb set up )

If you are building for performance, a new camshaft is a very good way to get more power.
It is not required, But I would recommend it for some very nice power gains. A nice high lift cam will make very good use of the much higher flowing intake set-up.
The 3.4L in the pics I posted above pushed around 230hp and with an automatic transaxle it ran low 14's in the quarter mile and about 5.6 seconds 0 to 60 mph.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
ok thank you very much...i'm quite new to this sort of work. I gotta say this is the best car community i've ever seen.

------------------

fieromullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromulletSend a Private Message to fieromulletDirect Link to This Post
If you're sticking to efi do you need to use the 3.4 lower intake? or can you swap over all three intake parts from the 2.8?
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Now i think i want to copy O's build but turbo it...lol

------------------

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

As Orief said, the stock cam will work well and an after-market one even more so. Only thing is, even the after market cams are not optium for these engines when they are equipped with a carb or high flow intake. Whereas the cams available off the shelf are profilled for the Fiero's low max rpm range. I spoke with Comp Cams and will I be getting a custom grind from them for my next build -an all-out NA build coming soon- they are going to basically match one of their SBC grinds and thus take full advantage of the higher RPMs available. They quoted me about $200 for the custom grind. If you're going for high output with, higher comp pistons , headers, carbs, etc, I'd look into a custon grind. I've taken my stock cam to 2.8 -our intake and headers- to over 6K with good power, but I'm sure a better profile would make a really nice dif.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromullet:

If you're sticking to efi do you need to use the 3.4 lower intake? or can you swap over all three intake parts from the 2.8?

More knowledgeable people will step in if i'm wrong,but I believe the camaro lower will work from looking just offhand and matching up.
Might be easier to simply bolt up all three fiero pieces though,as off the top of my head i'm sure there are bosses,etc.. that might be oriented correctly already on the fiero lower.
Just less to mess with i'm thinking,the piece look identical port wise so don't think your gaining much using the camaro lower.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

More knowledgeable people will step in if i'm wrong,but I believe the camaro lower will work from looking just offhand and matching up.
Might be easier to simply bolt up all three fiero pieces though,as off the top of my head i'm sure there are bosses,etc.. that might be oriented correctly already on the fiero lower.
Just less to mess with i'm thinking,the piece look identical port wise so don't think your gaining much using the camaro lower.

No, you can not use the Camaro lower Intake unless you use a different TB, as the Fiero lower intake has a tube that the TB uses for idle air control.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
No, you can not use the Camaro lower Intake unless you use a different TB, as the Fiero lower intake has a tube that the TB uses for idle air control.

and - the cold start injector.
yes, the Fiero intake manifold is Fiero specific.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
If it's just the IAC and the cold start at least those are easily overcame.
The IAC could be piped elsewhere into the intake easily,and the 7730 install gets rid of the cold start injector right?

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:
If it's just the IAC and the cold start at least those are easily overcame.
The IAC could be piped elsewhere into the intake easily,and the 7730 install gets rid of the cold start injector right?

yup. my plan exactly.
already did the 7730 swap, and trolling the U-pull-it yard for the Camaro 3.4 intake w/throttle body.
at that point, my CSI & IAC tube will be completely useless.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Just offhand,fords on many models used a divorced style IAC with 0-5v reference..
If you can cut aluminum and thread it you could make your own adapter to use most any of the ford style IAC valve probrably.
Then simply pipe it wherever you want on both sides.
Never did this,but for some reason I always think of it for aftermarket applications.

If anyone is interested to see what i'm talking about I can take some pics as I think I have a couple laying around.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 03-10-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock