Started on: 12-16-2006 10:38 AM
Replies: 105
Last post by: crazyd on 10-01-2009 01:38 AM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I think I found the LS1 brake rotor thickness. I'll try to find a 2nd source to verify that this rear thickness isn't for base level drum brakes. Edit: Confirmed that this is stock for '00 Z28, so if z28 had 4 wheel disc then this should be LS1 thickness:

1.27" front / 1.02" rear
32.2mm front /26.0 mm rear

I would assume that at 1" plus tolerance, that the rears are vented as well but not as thick because they are under less pressure than the front.

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
1fastcaddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
they are vented on all 4 but not sure if they are thinner or not, that is the idea Im toyin with cause our cars need more equal brakes than most. Drew
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I don't know if these mini calipers can be modified to work on thicker LS1 rotors, but it would be an alternative to the Wilwoods: http://www.airheart-brakes.com/cal-mb1.html. I think it might have a tendency to fail even if you could get it to fit because it's not made for something like that. I ran across someone putting them on a Toyota.

Edit: Another link to a forum where someone is looking for an e-brake option on a kit car. Looks like there's a Wilwood, Airheart, and something else.

A hot rod using one of SSBC's "new" parking brakes

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 12-27-2006).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

they are vented on all 4 but not sure if they are thinner or not, that is the idea Im toyin with cause our cars need more equal brakes than most. Drew

To some extent, yes, but this can be dealt with via the proportioning valve. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you install big brakes and then don't do anything to reproportion the system. You could save pounds of unsprung weight off the rear by not going bigger than you need to with brakes.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
ya, that is true, but also, having unequal brakes on a sports car looks kinda funny, kinda like 70s cars with rear drums

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
Low Original Miles at 41,506!!!
01 Cavalier Z24 16" wheels
KYB shocks
KYB struts with coilovers-coming soon

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 12-27-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

I think I found the LS1 brake rotor thickness. I'll try to find a 2nd source to verify that this rear thickness isn't for base level drum brakes. Edit: Confirmed that this is stock for '00 Z28, so if z28 had 4 wheel disc then this should be LS1 thickness:

1.27" front / 1.02" rear
32.2mm front /26.0 mm rear

I would assume that at 1" plus tolerance, that the rears are vented as well but not as thick because they are under less pressure than the front.

the rears are smaller thinner so thats perfect, now to find a parking brake solution.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

ya, that is true, but also, having unequal brakes on a sports car looks kinda funny, kinda like 70s cars with rear drums

Function over form.
If how it looked were the overriding factor, Corvettes would have 14 inch rotors in the rear and 13's in the front because they run 1 inch bigger wheels in the back...
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I will get pics of my work so far.

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 12-30-2006).]

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
I will be running ls1 rears which are 1" thick I guess, havent got to the jy to buy em yet but thats the plan, got some new rotors/hubs for the front to turn down. then I gotta redrill the bolt holes in the ls1 rotors. I got a question though, could I just elongate the current bolt holes down to the fiero bot pattern? or do they need to be tight, I dont see a problem with just milling the holes towards the center down to the 100mm, its only 10mms on each side. If anyone knows, let me know. Drew
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Direct Link to This Post
I have LS1 brakes (front and rear) sitting around if you need any pics or measurements.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
would you be interested in sellin them? thanks, Drew if not, measurements and pics would be great
PFF
System Bot
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Direct Link to This Post
They aren't for sale, but I would be happy to take pics/messurements for you. Anything specific you need besides rotor dimensions?
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
how about the exact dimensions of the centering hole in the middle? I had to make centering rings for the fronts and Im guessin the rears need them also. Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
If I were to make a complete bolt on kit, how much would you be willing to pay? 12" vented brakes all the way around with aluminum dual piston calipers and lots of economic options for pads. I realize it has to be less than a grand to be competitive but how much less to be a steal, and how important is new stuff instead of jy stuff. I might be lookin into gettin a discount if I buy everything new. How many would be interested in new stuff and how many for old stuff? The new stuff will always be the same but the old stuff will vary depending on deals. I need some input before I lay down some serious cash. I need people that are willing to spend in the next month or so. Thanks, Drew
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I'd want to buy only what I couldn't rebuild from salvage parts because I'm poor
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
so you would want the rings and the caliper adapters, what would you do about the bolt pattern? can you get them redrilled? I will let you guys know. Drew

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
I'd probably get them drilled locally to save on shipping such heavy things. I probably won't get around to doing this swap until later in the summer, or even the next year. Gotta save up some money, gather parts, and there are other things to be fixed in the meantime.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
well, Im gonna keep the metal stock around incase somebody ever wants some rings, I just need to do the rears now after I buy the rear rotors. Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
pics of my newly modded hubs and redrilled rotors

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

1fastcaddy

618 posts
Member since Oct 2004
how many people would be interested in a conversion kit? Drew
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I might be interested in fronts, but not anytime soon. Too many other things on the list.

Bob
I wear pants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in it. I am also interested in changing the hubs like you are doing.
Ratfart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RatfartSend a Private Message to RatfartDirect Link to This Post
I am interested in this swap. I have the RCC 11" on the GT but think this choice is a better way to go.
Great size, lighter caliper, and plentiful donor.
typhoon

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a complete kit for my 87 but to fit the original bolt pattern.
88formulaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulamanSend a Private Message to 88formulamanDirect Link to This Post
would you be able to do these for the 88's?? if so
I'd be interested as long as its dual piston aluminum calipers all the way around. ebrake would be nice but not a deal breaker, would diffinatly add one later. used would be ok but would like to get new someday. and would keep 5/100 bolt pattern.

------------------
Glenn Lintemuth
A&P Mechanic
Colorado Springs, CO
88' Convertible "BeyondGT"
88' GT, white 5speed
89' K-5 Blazer on 44's
04' Silverado Ext Z71 on 33's

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I dont have an 88 nor do I know the differences for sure so unless I get one, I wont know. I might be installing them this weekend if I can figure out the the caliper adapter. I got the longer studs and will be installing them soon. So far, everything has costed me around $190 with new hubs and used ls1 rotors and calipers.

$100 shipped-ls1 front rotors&calipers
$70 new list price- 84-87 front fiero rotor hubs
$20 special 54mm front studs

that is just for the front and the metal was free for me cause it was scrap. Let me know how soon you guys want the conversion set, Drew

------------------

1985 GT Fastback
KYB shocks

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I have an interest, but just waiting to see how things turn out (I do hope you will have some build pictures)
multmigs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post
What is it you are going to supply, the whole kit or just pieces to assemble one's own setup like RJ BLAZE was doing. I'd be interested if you will sell basically the braket alone, sounds like there is a variety of parts out there new/used to choose from on our own?
typhoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonDirect Link to This Post
bump, gotta keep this thread alive....I want 12 inch brakes..........
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I will be offering the adapters mostly, but will have a spare set of brakes around fully done incase anyone wants a full kit. Still workin on the rears, and waitin for a time when I can take the front hubs off my car to swap. Its my dd so I need to get the adapters made when I start to install, makin it harder since I dont have a torch. I need to put them on so I can get an idea of what thickness and everything. See why its gonna take some time. Tryin to get the 52 runnin and tagged so I can use it as my dd to solve all my problems. Just some time. Laters, Drew
PFF
System Bot
typhoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formulaman:
... dual piston aluminum calipers all the way around. ...

LS1's are aluminum all around, dual piston front / single piston rears.
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump for no progress but maybe some more interest
Plastic Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2007 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Plastic ManSend a Private Message to Plastic ManDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea and think it has a good chance of being the best swap for the money. Keep us updated and try for a few installed picturea as you progress. I'm interested in a partial kit.
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Are you going to be selling the rings??? I am interested
dustin
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
ya, I could sell just the rings. What swap do you need them for? I have noticed that my rings are the same as the c4 brake swap. I guess I could always make those kits also. let me get some info and figure everything out before I do decide anything. Drew
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
I got the new longer studs in and am trying to find time to get the rotors on so I can make those caliper adapters. Still makin progress, just not very fast. Later, Drew

[This message has been edited by 1fastcaddy (edited 01-19-2007).]

Plastic Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Plastic ManSend a Private Message to Plastic ManDirect Link to This Post
Bump
tuner2m6t

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuner2m6tSend a Private Message to tuner2m6tDirect Link to This Post
Have you ever thought about the Grand Prix GTP brakes? They have 12" rotors and the calipers from the 98+ camaros/Firebirds will bolt right to theto the GTP. The GTP rotors are pretty cheap. www.zzperformance.com has a whole write up about it. I am in the process of collecting the parts to do it. Should be the same as what your doing but with differant rotors.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock