Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build by FierociousGT
Started on: 09-05-2007 09:11 PM
Replies: 351
Last post by: joshua riedl on 01-25-2009 04:15 PM
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
VERSION D

Wider openings w/ ramp... Looks more like the hood scoop

VERSION E
Wider openings w/o ramp... Looks more like the hood scoop.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 02-06-2008).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
VERSION D OR E look good IMO.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Quarter window scoops modified for a chop top.

Had to chop & section tham to keep the scoop verticle & make the small window smaller.

David, do you want us to mount them now or do you want to wait until after it's painted?

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-06-2008).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

VERSION D OR E look good IMO.

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Quarter window scoops modified for a chop top.

Had to chop & section tham to keep the scoop verticle & make the small window smaller.

David, do you want us to mount them now or do you want to wait until after it's painted?

Archie

Looks great! Now there choptop can have turbo scoops . Lets test mount them with the mirrors (if the mirrors work) for pictures. I'm thinking about getting it primed flat black before shipping it down for D8.

Thanks Troy & Curley. I'm going to do VERSION "D" with the ramp. What to you think Archie, feasible?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 02-07-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Looks great! Now there choptop can have turbo scoops . Lets test mount them with the mirrors (if the mirrors work) for pictures. I'm thinking about getting it primed flat black before shipping it down for D8.

A Daytona Tradition?

D5: #015 Devue

D6: Alex's widebody devue.

Troy @ D7 Devue

and now #025 devue @ D8?

This project is going to be very new and interesting so, "all eyes are on you" especially if your choptop is at D8. Do you think you'll have the 19/20 combo on prior to D8? I think your color combination will go very well using the blackened/carbon-like NSX headlamps and black center/chromed DUB lip rims.

Shiney black painted sail window alternative.

Black strips with dark grey paint to match those dark NSX headlamps.

You might want to order the DUBs before you leave Archie's since the Tire Rack is near Archie shop (100 miles or so I heard). That way you'll know exactly what fits. Did you get in contact with Chuck? You'll need at least 4-6 weeks for Tire Rack to get the parts needed to assemble the DUBs.

After you've gotten the correct fitment, it might best be to have the DUBs shipped to FL, unless you plan on leaving your shop rollers at Archie's otherwise, you may need to ship the shop rollers by themselves. If the hauler isn't a in-closed trailer, I wouldn't feel comfortable in shipping a "choptop" w/DUBs on a open trailer. Are you going to have Mark (the painter) primer black #025?

Anyway, it's nice to see you're keeping the bar raised in the Fiero choptop world using different/newer parts not seen in combination on a choptop. No need to buy a replica Lamborghini/Ferrrari when you can create your own modern DNA version of the Fiero.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good, but never is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can become a reality; Archie and the Crew can make your Dreams into a reality."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-07-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Troy & Curley. I'm going to do VERSION "D" with the ramp. What to you think Archie, feasible?

Sure, it can be done.

Remember, Daytona is only about 6 weeks away so you can't be delaying it too much.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Good job on the turbo scoops.

Are you saying there is a mold ?
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
I see FedEx was able to deliver the Diablo replica mirrors today.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

FierociousGT

2307 posts
Member since Jan 2007

Black strips with dark grey paint to match those dark NSX headlamps.

You might want to order the DUBs before you leave Archie's since the Tire Rack is near Archie shop (100 miles or so I heard). That way you'll know exactly what fits. Did you get in contact with Chuck? You'll need at least 4-6 weeks for Tire Rack to get the parts needed to assemble the DUBs.

Are you going to have Mark (the painter) primer black #025?

Anyway, it's nice to see you're keeping the bar raised in the Fiero choptop world using different/newer parts not seen in combination on a choptop. No need to buy a replica Lamborghini/Ferrrari when you can create your own modern DNA version of the Fiero.

- Already PM Chuck and recieved reply...
- I'd like to have Mark primer black #025
- I like this style Black strips better

TopGear: Ascari A10

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 02-07-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

I see FedEx was able to deliver the Diablo replica mirrors today.

We got the windshield in today.

The mirrors did come in. I'm getting together a few posts on them now.....

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Yes the mirrors came in today.

Please note, there is no mirror glass, what you see is what you get.

Here is a mirror growing out of a flat piece of fiberglass.....

Well, not really actually growing out of it.

Two hollow interrupted rods run from the base to the mirror section. Inside the rods are 2 coil springs holding the base & the mirror section together. The other ends of these springs are in the mirror section behind the black mirror mount.....

Where the 2 mirror sections come together there is flat rubber stock between the 2 pieces. The rubber was cut very unevenly with a razor knife by a drunk. (hard to see in the pics., easy to see in person)

Here's the funny part that makes you say to yourself "What were they thinking?"

You can see the wire pigtail in the 1st picture I posted & you can see no wires coming out the other end in the 2nd. & 3rd. pics I posted. Here's why, the pigtail was all stuffed in the area around the mirror motor deal.

"What were they thinking?"

Now someone will have to remove the plug from one end of the pigtail remove all the hardware out of the mirror hole. Then weave the 3 wires down one of the rods without tangling in the coil spring. Then put it all back together.

It seems it would have been a lot easier to do all that when the mirror was 1st put together.

Next: We get to go out & see how the mirror is going to fit.

Remember how nice it fit in the photoshops, I'll bet it won't be that easy.

Archie
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Plotting to find a way to mount the mirror.

As we hold the big base on the mirror bottom plate up to the car at about the same angle that we used on Curley's & Troy's cars it appears that mirror can be mounted to where it will be level.

Now comes the tough part.......

Here is the opening that we have to mount the mirror into.....

In the past when we mounted the 360 mirrors & the F430 mirrors we used this triangle, with right end of line "C" about 3/4" down into the door panel, to mount them into a chopped Fiero.

However, when you build a triangle with the same "A", "B" & "C" angles around the base of the new mirror you get a lot bigger triangle. You get a much bigger triangle because the base of the mirror where the legs meet the big flat plate, is a much larger & more rectangular area that it was on the Ferrari mirrors.

I've taken a lot of measurements & made some templates, but this last template is the most important one. It represents the minimum area patch that the base of the mirror has to have. This area is identified as "Body" on this template. Note how one of the legs is going to violate the "A" pillar by a couple of inches.

Archie

P.S.

David, give me a call tomorrow, you have some decissions to make.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I'll call you in the morning. I'm also going to PM MMBrazil @ KitCentral.com to see if he pops in and can give some ideas regarding his mirrors. Kudos for the detail plotting data & explination in your post.

I have the mirror (glass) template, which I'll take care of down here and if I'm not mistaken those mirrors can separate in the middle. Don't worry about the electrical part, as long as I can access the stock mirror wires.

If there is no other way around the "A" pilar then I will just have you mount the triangle on the doors, cover the original mirror hole and I'll deal w/ the mirrors once #25 is down here.

The power door locks are on the way and I will order the '82-'85 Mustang fiberglass vent today.

TTYL

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 02-08-2008).]

SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!!
This is coming along just great! I love what you guys are doing here.
And if my opinion counts for anything, I like option D the best for your decklid scoop!
And those mirrors look awesome!!! Can't wait to see em mounted!

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
SAFASTRO, yes your opinion does count. I'm going to do VERSION "D" deck vent.

Spoke with Archie about 30min ago regarding the mirrors. If I understood correctly the separation of the bolts is greater then the triangle area on the door. Asked Archie to drill thru the triangle area to confirm if there was a metal plate, negative, so can't relocate the bolts.

Violates "A" pillar.. sounds painful.

We will mount the metal mirror triangle and patch the stock mirror openings. I'll have to modify the replica mirrors bolt spacing here in Orlando. Now it's official, #25 won't be at D8. Now on to the rear deck lid...

PS
Archie more kudos for you and your team, Doug from Fiero Warehouse left me a message today that the car looks incredible!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

We will mount the metal mirror triangle and patch the stock mirror openings. I'll have to modify the replica mirrors bolt spacing here in Orlando. Now on to the rear deck lid...

I'm glad to hear you guys have found a solution otherwise, you'd be eating the cost of those replica mirrors.

Word to the Wise: Photoshoping is nice but, application of the part is a totally different story. It pays to do research, research, and more research.

Now it's official, #25 won't be at D8.

I guess all eyes are now on Tony?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

I'm glad to hear you guys have found a solution otherwise, you'd be eating the cost of those replica mirrors.

Word to the Wise: Photoshoping is nice but, application of the part is a totally different story. It pays to do research, research, and more research.

It's also the nature of the beast when you are customizing. Venturing to unknown territory.

All eyes on you Tony....
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

It's also the nature of the beast when you are customizing. Venturing to unknown territory.

Yes. Unchartered territories can lead to an increase in R&D.

My batting adverage is two strikes; The "Claw" and the "Caddy's" third brake lamp.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's the proposed lines for the side of the car as we discussed.

These are just marked up with a black marker.

On the lines extending up into the front fender, remember once you approve these, we will cut them as lines at 1/16" wide & once cut thay can't be changed. They will fade out on the front fender.

The lower lines will be glassed filled & sanded.

Archie

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

OK, here's the proposed lines for the side of the car as we discussed.

These are just marked up with a black marker.

On the lines extending up into the front fender, remember once you approve these, we will cut them as lines at 1/16" wide & once cut thay can't be changed. They will fade out on the front fender.

The lower lines will be glassed filled & sanded.

Archie

GO!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
If you're following #014's lead, I think your missing a vertical line; otherwise, the horizontal @ the nose is leading to nowhere, right?

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me? or does this line look "off " also.

[This message has been edited by 88White3.4GT (edited 02-08-2008).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:
Is it just me? or does this line look "off " also.

O yes, almost forgot. Archie lets make this one straight.
Thanks 88White3.4GT!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
#013:

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Here's the strips that coming out of the hood scoop.

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

If you're following #014's lead, I think your missing a vertical line; otherwise, the horizontal @ the nose is leading to nowhere, right?

Curley, thanks for pointing that out.

Archie let's do this.... Let's add the line from the hood inclined like in the picture. This good thing if the nose every needs to be masked off for painting that specific area.

PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie let's do this.... Let's add the line from the hood inclined like in the picture. This good thing if the nose every needs to be masked off for painting that specific area.

Curley, get your butt back to work !!!!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

LOL
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Those mirrors will work just attach bolts to the surface then reinforce that. There's ˝" inside that triangular pocket.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Hehehe the ghost of Curly is going to haunt you even in your sleep !
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:
Those mirrors will work just attach bolts to the surface then reinforce that. There's ˝" inside that triangular pocket.

DIY_Stu, What I understood is the bolts are too far apart. Example (not accurate).

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

FierociousGT

2307 posts
Member since Jan 2007
One of the replies from MMBrazil.

Kit c e n t r a l Forum Index
Inbox :: Message
To: FierociousGT
Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 05:34 PM
Subject: Re: Diablo replica mirrors
You can make new holding bolts, cut the old ones off, get new ones, weld a square steel to the foot ( so the bolt doesn´t turn when fixing it to door )and fiberglass it in the position you want. Have someone that works with fiberglass do it, its very simple to solve your problem.

Looking at the pics its very easy to place the mirror in your car, don´t worry I will help you.

tks
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

We already planned to make that line level. It's only off about 1/8" right now.

However, when a picture is taken of it from this angle the line will still appear to run down hill because the surface the line is on runs at an angle to the camera position. Note how the corresponding line on the rear 1/4 panel appears to be level because that surface is closer to a 90* angle to the camera lens.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-09-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

#013:

A stock Fiero nose has a seam across the front edge of the hood over to the stock Fender. That line continues down the fender to the molding on the side.

Maybe you guys didn't notice that the hood on #25 doesn't come all the way over to the fender. So there's no "line" to continue down. Maybe you'd like me to cut a new line continuing the line from the front edge of the hood thru custom fiberglassed NSX headlight opening over the top of the fender & down to meet the horizontal line.

I've been against cutting the horizontal line from the beginning. It's going to be very hard controling the depth of the line & imposible to sand & finish the inside & bottom of the cut. This line isn't doing anything for the car that a nice straight black pinstripe wouldn't do after it's painted.

This horizontal line is being cut into the fender to be a contiunation of the body lines on the back of the car. Your paint guy is already going to have a fit painting this horizontal line. Wait until he starts to complain about his paint collecting in the verticle line & causing a run.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-09-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock