Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Unique engine swap in my '88 GT (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Unique engine swap in my '88 GT by 268 GT
Started on: 08-01-2005 02:42 AM
Replies: 189
Last post by: 268 GT on 11-23-2008 11:25 PM
GT2efiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2007 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT2efieroSend a Private Message to GT2efieroDirect Link to This Post
Not only am I interested the tube frame, but also to see this car completed. I am egar to see how the twin motors end up working together on the same diff. It's tough finding time to finish work on our cars but don't get discouraged and keep up the good work. Alot of us are following intently. hmm i wonder if i can get my hand on one of those tube frames for my car......ah i could only dream, plus it would pry cost me a pretty penny.
IP: Logged
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Anything new happening?
spc15tdime

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spc15tdimeSend a Private Message to spc15tdimeDirect Link to This Post
This will be so incredibly sick when its finished if it works as advertised. Crazy awesome ideas and good work on the homework and research
trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2007 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thumper_64735:

My idea has always been to try putting a APU out of a helicopter into a car. Its the same engine used on the Y2K bike. Lightwieght - only about 80 lbs, 200HP, and around 20,000 RPM, if I remember right (I'm airframe, not engines, lol) I figure if they can put it in a bake, why not a car? Maybe one of these days I'll try it. I could just see the Wal - Mart oil change guy's eyes would do when he opened the hood to change the oil, lol. ahhh well, maybe one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Y2K bike has an Allison 250, which I build. I have never heard of it being used as an APU. Its usually a main power engine that is much more than 80 lbs, almost 300 dry. The faster of the 2 turbine sections rotates at about 53,000 RPM and puts out about 400 shaft HP. (Less HP for the bike because they use retired pieces of crap). Start saving if your gonna put one in a car... or better yet take out a mortgage to pay for it.

------------------

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is my latest update guys. I'll let the pics do the talking.

------------------
Power is nothing without control.

Twin Engine Fiero Project

SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if this was stated earlier, but what kind of nose is that? Is it a kit? Could it be modded to fit on a stock Fiero chassis??
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
holy shyte

------------------

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks great. I was really hoping that this thread was not dead. Glad to see that the project is still going. I'm considering a couple of harley v-twins (maybe 3) mounted together as a future project. Can wait to see this thing together.

Patiently waiting for more info.
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Well....I just found out part of the answer to my own question......the nose is from Graber.....go figure.....but could you mod that nose to fit a Fiero? I know the windshield lip is too far forward for the Fiero......but I think you could fiberglass an extention on to make it fit the Fiero windshield lines......hmmmm
Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
Being a member of the mini-sprint community, where we use everything from CR250's to R6's to ZX-12's for power, I can appreciate the potential here.

My dad and I have considered (and even had the motor for a while) a '27 model T roadster done track nose style with the Kawi ZX-12. Single engine makes it easy, because there are u-joints available that fit the tranny output spline. We figured a dry weight of right around 1200 lbs, which would make even a single engine a monster, much like the SMART CAR with a GSXR, and Huyabusa Austin Mini.

I also know a guy who is putting a single 'busa in a Porsche 914.

[This message has been edited by Sleepy (edited 06-04-2007).]

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the interest guys. I will be sure to post updates as they occur.

Not sure if Steve is interested in selling just nose pieces but I will ask him.

Here is the prototype.

PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Impressive work but I have to say that your chassis looks awfully 'spindly' especially when compared to the one in the later picture (not that I'm any expert or anything even close). Is your chassis design based on any proven pattern since it just looks to me like it would certainly twist a hell of a lot, at least as it is now.
ps. Not meant to be negative or critical, just asking the question 'coz I'm interested, that's all

Thanks

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2007 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
any updates?

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

88 coupe t-top #656 1 of only 339 base coupes made SOLD
85 t-top BEING PARTED
87gt parts car
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Not yet, I'm on vacation in MN right now enjoying some time off. I hope to have the car (sans body) up and running before the new year. I know that's a ways away but I have about 3 projects going right now plus work so I'm very busy. I appreciate the support guys, it means a lot to me.
Rob

------------------

carbonfiber_kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2007 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonfiber_kidSend a Private Message to carbonfiber_kidDirect Link to This Post
looks sweet! I have a question about the white fiero. Where did you get the nose piecs?

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Pisa Corp. They used to have a catalog/website, not sure anymore. Google Pisa Corp....I think the url is pisahq.com or something like that.

Here ya go, found the link.

http://pisafierohq.com/body_panels/front_ends/
kennethmoore77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennethmoore77Send a Private Message to kennethmoore77Direct Link to This Post
bump very interesting
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Kenneth, I am pretty sure this project was lost when the OPs barn burnt down a month or two ago. Sorry again 268GT.
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
sooo let me get this stright... you own... at lease 2 fieros, a mustang? a twin turbo 300zx.... and a fukcing viper??? holy to much money batman!!....... good lord.... after i bought the viper.... i think i would have lost all intrest...
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
I haven't read this entire tread, so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but......how did this morph from twin Hyabusas in an '88 GT to a completely different car with a tube chassis??
kennethmoore77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennethmoore77Send a Private Message to kennethmoore77Direct Link to This Post
im sorry for the loss on the barn i was not aware of this
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
digging it up before it goes under. How's it going?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2008 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, it's been awhile hasn't it?

Well as posted above the project was completely destroyed in the fire. I have the frame but nothing else.

I still have the '88 GT and I will eventually get around to working on it again but for now I'm concentrating on this.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Rob

------------------

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
What happened!! Fire??
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 268 GT:

Hey guys, it's been awhile hasn't it?

Well as posted above the project was completely destroyed in the fire. I have the frame but nothing else.

I still have the '88 GT and I will eventually get around to working on it again but for now I'm concentrating on this.

Rob

Cool! Ive always wanted to build one of those, but tweak it JUST enough to make it street legal
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Yes, click the link in FieroMadMan's post above mine.

Rob
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 268 GT:

Yes, click the link in FieroMadMan's post above mine.

Rob

Wow Dude!! Sorry for your loss, from one Z-owner to another I feel your loss. You had some really nice toys, and that Z, well words cannot describe. Did the insurance pay out ok in the end? What caused the fire?

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 11-23-2008).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about the terrible loss. Its a pity that the project never came to fruition as you had so many hours of work in it.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Dennis,
I'm interested in some details about the turboed 3.4L. I want to do that swap in my 88 GT someday. I already have a complete '96 Lumina LS with the engine in running condition.

Rob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock