Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Unique engine swap in my '88 GT (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Unique engine swap in my '88 GT by 268 GT
Started on: 08-01-2005 02:42 AM
Replies: 189
Last post by: 268 GT on 11-23-2008 11:25 PM
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Something funky happened tonight- all my Firefox favorites are gone, and now I have to start from scratch. The reason I mention this is I had an online translation site that I use and had to look it up all over again. The poor mans translation of the French looks something like this:

The rear glasses has not any amount, to the manner of the Citroën CENTER. Once opened, one can remove the mask in beige leather to leave apparaitre the pad motor: a superb one 12 cylinders in placed line in transverse position. The characteristic of this unpublished pad is to be constituted of two bike motors 6 cylinders 1300 cm3 of origin Kawasaki. Each preserved his can manuelle to five speeds: there is therefore two activated cans simultanément by a common lever unique by the intermediary one of two tringleries. The two motors induce each a rear wheel and simply are linked up by trapezoid straps that stabilize the system variations. The car eventually can roll with an alone motor in case of mechanical problems. The power rises to 240 horses for 800 kg, be a report weights power of 3,3 kg horse (4,3 kg horse for a Lamborghini Countach LP500 same era!!). Accelerations are therefore excellentes with 5 seconds to pass of 0 to 100 km/h. For that the speed of not at all was a little sacrificed (200 km/h anyway!).

This has got to be one of the mods of all mods for any Fiero I've ever seen. I can't wait to see how this turns out. It's a cool idea, and would love to take a spin in it once it's done just to have one of those stories I could tell everyone when I'm 95 years old about how I once had the opportunity to drive a car with two wngines in it. Keep up the good work!

IP: Logged
268 GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Well I won another Busa engine on EBAY today and I am working out a deal for a 300ZXTT diff this weekend! Let the progress continue...

------------------
Power is nothing without control.

[This message has been edited by 268 GT (edited 09-09-2005).]

87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Don't dis him. It's been done in the past. Franco Sbarro built a car called SuperTwelve back in the 80's.

Can you read French?
La lunette arrière n'a pas de montant, à la manière des Citroën AX. Une fois ouverte, on peut ôter le cache en cuir beige pour laisser apparaitre le bloc moteur : un superbe 12 cylindres en ligne placé en position transversale. La particularité de ce bloc inédit est d'être constitué de deux moteurs de moto 6 cylindres 1300 cm3 d'origine Kawasaki. Chacun a conservé sa boîte manuelle à cinq vitesses : il y a donc deux boîtes actionnées simultanément par un levier commun unique par l'intermédiaire de deux tringleries. Les deux moteurs entraînent chacun une roue arrière et sont simplement reliés par des courroies trapézoïdales qui stabilisent les variations de régime. La voiture peut éventuellement rouler avec un seul moteur en cas de problèmes mécaniques. La puissance s'élève à 240 chevaux pour 800 kg, soit un rapport poids/puissance de 3,3 kg/cheval (4,3 kg/cheval pour une Lamborghini Countach LP500 de la même époque !!). Les accélérations sont donc excellentes avec 5 secondes pour passer de 0 à 100 km/h. Pour cela la vitesse de pointe a été un peu sacrifiée (200 km/h tout de même !).
http://clcalvet.club.fr/sbarro/modelemois/super128-sept2001/super128.html
Now all you need to do is have the quick access like his VW Golf Turbo

Dictionary.com has a translator, enough to get the general idea:

The rear window does not have an amount, with the manner of Citroen AX. Opened once, one can remove the beige leather mask to leave apparaitre the driving block: superb 12 cylinders in line placed in transverse position. The characteristic of this new block is to consist of two engines of motor bike 6 cylinders 1300 Cm3 of Kawasaki origin. Each one preserved its manual box at five speeds: there are thus two boxes actuated simultaneously by a single common lever via two linkages. The two engines involve each one a aft wheel and are simply connected by V-belts which stabilize the variations of mode. The car can possibly run with only one engine in the event of mechanical problems. The power rises with 240 horses for 800 kg, that is to say a poids/puissance report/ratio of 3,3 kg/cheval (4,3 kg/cheval for Lamborghini Countach LP500 of the same time!!). Accelerations are thus excellent with 5 seconds to pass from 0 to 100 km/h. For that the dash speed was sacrificed a little (200 km/h all the same!).

Cool!

------------------
'87 GT, daily driver
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'84 F250 Xcab, BIG parts runner
'78 Harvest 26' class A, living in it

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainDirect Link to This Post
You do Know you'll need to dry sump both engines?

You'd also be better to use a Muffet box (I think), as i believe they'll take two inputs and also provide you with a reverse gear.
I'll post a lot of links for you tonight, got most of it at home.

iain

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainDirect Link to This Post

Iain

133 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Right, these should get you started, I'll post the rest later.
http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.caterhamfireblade.com/
http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/

iain

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
No room for any type of transfer case unfortunately. I believe the engines will be fine with the stock oiling setup especially if I baffle the pans. I will keep it in mind though and monitor for oil starvation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 268 GT (edited 09-09-2005).]

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
So, what is new? Any updates?

Thanks
JG

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainDirect Link to This Post
As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a great deal of success just baffling the sump of 'busa motors for car use. I think there's at least one company producing a special cast sump for car use, i'll have a trawl through some back issues.
I really would have a word with Richard Alban at TTS, he's just about the world expert on the engine, may save you a lot of hassle.

iain

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Remember that as installed in a motorcycle, the engine doesn't see a lot of lateral loading, just vertical as the rider leans the bike into the corner. Not really necessary to baffle very well in those circumstances.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
My setup will be rotated 90* relative to the position in a bike. Cornering will not be an issue but hard braking and short hard bursts of acceleration may be a concern.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
True. Cornering loads in your app are like braking/acceleration loads in a bike.
PFF
System Bot
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
At the same time, braking and acceleration are like a bike laying down in the corners.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
^^^ Not exactly because the bikes lean and the car won't. The oil is forced to the bottom of the pan on a bike leaning into a croner but it will be forced to the side when installed in a car.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Picked up the other engine today and threw it in beside the other one. Looks.........AWESOME! Like a crazy cool factory option, but not really. I will get some pics up later today.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post

268 GT

139 posts
Member since Jul 2005
The stripped interior ready for a cage and some Sparcos...

Here are some pics of the two engines. I hope they get along well together

Still with room to spare.

[This message has been edited by 268 GT (edited 09-24-2005).]

GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!

I, like others, thought this thread was about someone's unrealistic pipe dream. I thought you would post once or twice about it, and we'd never hear from you again. But to see such progress and commitment, wow! Way to go on following your dreams! This is gonna be awesome.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
OMG they are actually in the car.

I along with most other people honestly thought that this was a going to end like so many other WILD SWAPS But a huge congratulations on getting them in the car. I can't wait to see this thing fire up. Gonna sound Unique to say the least.

------------------
85GT 5spd MSD Everything,4.9 With Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
They are IN the car but not fastened down quite yet. I am still waiting on a diff so I can get everything mocked/squared up so I can fab up some mounts. There is a lot to be done for sure but I am VERY commited to making it run.

Things to do:
modify subframe to allow engines to sit lower
fab up mounts
Fab up driveshaft, halfshafts, chain and sprockets
fab up linkages for throttle, shifting, clutch
relocate rear swaybar under subframe

[This message has been edited by 268 GT (edited 09-24-2005).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 268 GT:

They are IN the car but not fastened down quite yet. I am still waiting on a diff so I can get everything mocked/squared up so I can fab up some mounts. There is a lot to be done for sure but I am VERY commited to making it run.

Things to do:
modify subframe to allow engines to sit lower
fab up mounts
Fab up driveshaft, halfshafts, chain and sprockets
fab up linkages for throttle, shifting, clutch
relocate rear swaybar under subframe

Step 5: Sanity check.

You are insane! Keep it up. I love it!

Good luck.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8 <===== A boring swap compared to this one.

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 09-25-2005).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Step 5: Sanity check.

You are insane! Keep it up. I love it!

Good luck.

Sanity checks are noooo fun.

Every morning..."Hmmm...I have a crazy idea....Yeeesss!!!"

Love the swap man. Takes the phrase "just do it" to a whole new level around here.

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I am still waiting on a diff so I can get everything mocked/squared up so I can fab up some mounts.

It will be very interesting to see how you do that, considering that the axle will have to go basically right through the sprockets. Fitting a diff will be a trick.

PFF
System Bot
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
OK, I think someone has slipped some illegal stuff into my redbull-vodka...
this is a great new swap and I admire your ambition...
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
My friend who replaces windshields for a living came over today and helped me make the car look worse. We removed the front and rear windows and the roof panel. The windows will be replaced with plexiglass to save weight and the sunroof top will be replaced with a hard top to save weight and improve looks. My neighbors are stopping by tomorrow to give me a quote on a roll cage.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I'm still getting used to the new camera...

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post

268 GT

139 posts
Member since Jul 2005

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post

268 GT

139 posts
Member since Jul 2005

That's just awesome.

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
That right there is a thing of beauty

------------------

matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see the finished product.

------------------

First Fiero: White 1984 Fiero SE - I miss you old friend
Current Fiero: Silver 1986 Fiero 2M4 (Daily Driver)

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
That is the coolest Fiero ever. I just bought an 84 Honda Magna V65 and it's my focus of love and devotion at the moment. 10K redline. Nothing like high revs on a bike. If you can get this twin 'Busa to run, now I KNOW I can get my 5.0V8 to run, Thanks I need to see crazy sh*t every now and then. Good luck, can't wait to see it finished.

------------------
-Rick Stewart
85GT 5.0CaddyV8/Getrag 5-spd in progress...
www.V8Fiero.com

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
What kind of front bumper is that?
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Artero front end kit from PISA corp.
268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2005 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Some pics of the seats being test fitted.

------------------

Twin Engine Fiero Project

PFF
System Bot
865spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdDirect Link to This Post
talk about being different from the already different Fiero comunity. That idea is absolutley awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
soooooo, when this is done you'll come up here and give me a ride riiiiiight? wow, u are one crazy mofo, but i love it! theres no comeback like "oh yah? mine has TWO engines!"

oh, btw, what do u want for that sunroof roof panel? was it damaged in removal at all?

[This message has been edited by ShaddowGt (edited 10-11-2005).]

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
The roof panel has a SMALL scrape above the quarter window area that is fixable when it gets painted. I am looking for an undamaged slicktop painted to match my car in trade. I do not need a headliner or anything, just the plastic roof panel. I have all the hardware to complete the sunroof install except the headliner which was damaged during removal.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
O MAN i too thot it was a dream to be unfinished!!! but WOW!!! awesome man i really really hope you do this!
and i hope to see it at a show some day!!

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050262.html "Ritalin"
http://bobadoofunk.deviantart.com/gallery/ <-- To See My Online Art Gallery

268 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 268 GTSend a Private Message to 268 GTDirect Link to This Post
Just received my diff this afternoon. It is a 3.07:1 Torsen LSD which will yield the following speeds:
Gear-MPH @ 10800RPM
1st-62
2nd-84
3rd-106
4th-126
5th-143
6th-155

Pics and updates soon to come...

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Just received my diff this afternoon. It is a 3.07:1 Torsen LSD which will yield the following speeds:
Gear-MPH @ 10800RPM
1st-62
2nd-84
3rd-106
4th-126
5th-143
6th-155

Interesting gear splits.

------------------
FierOmar

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep the interest up
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

Gear-MPH @ 10800RPM
1st-62
2nd-84
3rd-106
4th-126
5th-143
6th-155

That looks a lot like my bike, cept the fact that 1st is bout 55 and 6th is 168, hehehe, by the way, mines an 89 750 ninja. laters

------------------
Soon to be custom port fuel injected with Megasquirt! 4.5l and th-440 And Im only 18. think about when Im 30!!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Note #1 - you are certifibly crazy.

Note#2 - Keep it up

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock