Started on: 08-05-2008 07:58 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 08-07-2008 10:06 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Many of us have swapped our old SI alternators out for the newer better CS130 units. How about starters?

Has anyone installed a newer starter that's on the newer 3400 engines (2000 up) in Grand AMs, Montanas, Ventures etc? These new alternators are smaller, lighter, more powerful and supposedly more durable with it's better technology. I'm running a Fiero alternator on a 3400 block with no problem, so there's no reason a newer starter wouldn't bolt up to the block. But I'm not sure if there would be any problems with the flywheel/ring gear not meshing with the starter properly.

So has anyone done this yet? Anything in particular to watch out for?

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2008 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I've wondered this too. I'd like to use the newer smaller 3400 gear reduction starter on my 2.5. Its on my list of things to do when I put the high compression 2.5 blcok together.

Originally posted by fierosound:

Many of us have swapped our old SI alternators out for the newer better CS130 units. How about starters?

Has anyone installed a newer starter that's on the newer 3400 engines (2000 up) in Grand AMs, Montanas, Ventures etc? These new alternators are smaller, lighter, more powerful and supposedly more durable with it's better technology. I'm running a Fiero alternator on a 3400 block with no problem, so there's no reason a newer starter wouldn't bolt up to the block. But I'm not sure if there would be any problems with the flywheel/ring gear not meshing with the starter properly.

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

The engines and flywheel diameters are basically the same. In addition to the new design you will have a considerable drop in weight of what I recall feeling like well over 5 lbs difference. It's probably all of 10 lbs lighter.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-073021.html

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 08-05-2008).]

megafreakindeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
im using a 3400 starter from an impala, direct bolt on aside from some shimming. sounds much different, i weighed my old starter at 13lbs and the new one was 6 pounds. any starter from the aluminum headed 60deg. v6s work. 25$ off of ebay.

[This message has been edited by megafreakindeth (edited 08-05-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2008 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i didnt notice anything different on my 3500 starter. i cant recall if it is different in size than the one i had to replace in my blazer. ill take a closer glance when i drop my starter again to replace my OPSU with a gauge one and not the idiot light one.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by megafreakindeth:

im using a 3400 starter from an impala, direct bolt on aside from some shimming. sounds much different,

Thanks. There must be others who have done this. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before - at least I didn't find anything through Search.

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. There must be others who have done this. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before - at least I didn't find anything through Search.

I mentioned it more than two years ago in my link.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2008 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I mentioned it more than two years ago in my link.

As I said, I didn't find anything through Search and this upgrade has been "less publicized" than the CS130 alternator upgrade. Still good to know these smaller starters fit.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-07-2008).]

megafreakindeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2008 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
i learned about it on here, its been around probably since they came out with the new style starter came out.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2008 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

wow, thats how big the stocker is? and mine is close to or smaller than the newer one. hey joseph, do you know if the 3500's is any different? or is it the same as that 3400's?

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2008 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
wow, thats how big the stocker is? and mine is close to or smaller than the newer one. hey joseph, do you know if the 3500's is any different? or is it the same as that 3400's?

That is a 3500 starter. The older starter is from a 3.4 pushrod but should be the same as the Fiero's except for the stagered bolt hole and right side mount config. I'm not sure if the 3400 starter is the same but it felt like at least 10 lbs difference between the two in the picture.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock