Started on: 05-01-2006 12:34 PM
Replies: 0
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 05-01-2006 12:34 PM
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking over the benefits of my pending twin turbo 3500 from the G6 which I will not bore you with, and noted in addition to the weight savings of going with the aluminum heads which weigh probably less than half as much as the cast iron, the starter is also pretty small. It feels about half as heavy as the stock starter which in this case is on the left for those who don't see the difference is from a 3.4L hence the bolt pattern, it's not much different than the fiero's starter in terms of weight. I believe the A/C compressor is lighter also it feels like it and from taking inventory of the different parts wouldn't doubt if there is roughly a 50 lb difference between the two engines 3.5 & 2.8 in full dress, they really cut some weight with the harmonic balancer also which is lighter than those before it. The starter isn't cheap new or used unless you are fortunate enough to find one at a good price.

On an odd note, I have two 3500 engines one from an 04 Malibu and one from an 05 G6, since sometimes GM does favorable things they don't tell us about like some of the camaros and firebirds getting the newer LS6 block when it was just going into the corvette, I'm curious about the timing cover differences, the malibu engine timing cover is plane with a slight brown tint in color, the G6 engine timing cover is the clearer aluminum color that you would expect on a new aluminum part and it has a "ROUSH" patch on it which the salvager got suspicious of when he saw it after it was pulled from the shelf as if he might need to go back and make sure he wasn't under charging me. I only know the name through mustang performance and have no idea of what hand they have in the manufacture of this particular engine. I'll see what I can find out when it goes on the dyno at 10-12 psi with the cam regrind in about 2 months hopefully less.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock