No fuel by AP2k
Started on: 05-22-2008 06:22 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: AP2k on 05-23-2008 12:54 AM
AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Its about that time... The car is throwing a 44 and I've noticed the pump has been making a different sound for about the past month. Today it won't crank back up. I turn the key and you can hear it squirting fuel onto what I suspect to be the inside of the gas tank. Common problem, yes, but I can't find any info on it from searching, despite it being a common problem. (The search function needs some loking at, Cliff. I don't need to know about the most popular L67 build when looking for "fuel line crack" or any other search term. )

I seem to recall it being the high pressure side succumbs to age, cracks inside the tank, and then the pump can't push any to the engine? What parts will I need besides a new pump? (No sense in dropping it again. )
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Your fuel pump may be shot or the pulsater is shot,causeing an internal leak (you will allso need a small piece of fuel line or high pressure fuel line (to replace the pulsater) and 2 small hose clamps).On rare ocasions,the fuel pump has poped off (I had this happen).
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Your problem is probably the 2-3" long line just above the pump outlet inside the tank. Some model Fieros used a device called a pulsator in place of the rubber hose. The line or pulsator gets old, cracks or ruptures, and the pump just whirrrs away, spraying fuel all over the inside of your tank instead of pumping it up to the engine.

I do not know much about the pulsators, because all my Fieros are 84s and just used the short length of hose instead of the pulsator.
I cannot remember the size of the ID but believe it is 5/16" gasoline rated fuel line. Might be 3/8" id, but not any larger.

You will need the line or pulsator, 2 hose clamps, and I would recomend you go ahead a replace the pump while you have the tank out.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084993.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-061015.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-054229.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-055536.html

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-22-2008).]

AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Mine's and 84 as well. We dropped the tank tonight and it was that stupid rubber hose between the pump and the fuel pipe. The thing had a .5" gash and it was as soft as a pillow. Put a new pump and sock in it and its LOUD! lol

You guys will appreciate my story. I had to run by the FedEx office after work, and pulling out of the parking lot I knew something was badly wrong. It had just enough fuel pressure to keep it idling, and I stupidly got out and started looking instead of hauling ass to a safe spot. Anyway, I made it to the FedEx office and I couldn't get it cranked up again.

My dad comes over with a new pump and whatnot, but we have to move it so we are out of sight so as not to arouse suspicion. But he didn't bring a trailor. How does one move a car with no fuel about 1.5 miles down the road? Well, it turns out he had the idea of grabbing an electric carb fuel pump for a big block V8, sucking off gas from a jerry can inside the cabin, and routing it into the fuel intake on the TBI. I crimped off the return line. It cranked right up, but it didn't have nearly enough pressure for anything over a lean mix, but it ran well enough.

Dropping a fuel tank in the middle of the night in a dimly lit lot on the outskirts of town isn't something I want to do again.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock