Started on: 09-19-2004 08:08 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: KlingonFiero on 09-20-2004 09:50 AM
dguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Is fuel line a suitable replacement for the pulsator, or is it made of a different material?

The one good one I have here appears to be nothing more than a short section of fuel line; I can't tell what this bad one is made up of, other than something which is now rather mushy.

------------------

his: 1985 2M6 SE
mostly stock, but becoming more my creation than GM's with each passing day

hers: 1984 2M4
all stock... with plans for something bigger in the future

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Pulsators are not fuel line. They don't even look like fuel line. I tried to find you a picture of one but no luck so far.

It is a plastic thing that is connected between the pump and the hard line. They are usually used only on high pressure systems. A TBI L4 Fiero doesn't use them as far as I know.

On the same track... when you replace a pump... replace the pulsator if there is one and replace the intake sock. Failing to replace the sock has been known to wreck pumps.

As far as I know, all Fiero V6 systems should have the pulsator. If there isn't one, it could be some twit left it out durring previous service work. This may contribute to future failures of fuel system parts.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
If it's your 84 dguy, it doesn't have a pulsator. Just a 2" piece of fuel hose above the pump. The new delco pumps come with a new one, or at least mine did. Use clamps on it too. The oem one didn't have clamps.
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info you two! Looks like I had my component names mixed up.

I've only ever had Iron Duke pumps out of the tank to date, so I just assumed that the coupler between the pump body & the steel line was a pulsator. Great88Fiero posted a photo of a sending unit/pump assembly which partially shows the pulsator near the bottom of this thread. If I had found that pic last night I wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place.

edit: and it is the '84 I'm working on at the moment. well, sort-of. I'm "bench testing" the Duke from an '86 parter before deciding whether or not it's a worthwhile replacement for the 84's engine.

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 09-20-2004).]

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just to let you all know : All years and All models (L4 and V6) have pulsators.

The thing is the V6's have a hard plastic type (with an internal diaphram) and the L4's have a spongy type of rubber hose.
The 4-cyl does require said device, try your local part stores it is carried by most of them. Here in Denver,Co USA I got mine from AutoZone. - under $5 for the 4-cyl one.

------------------
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

- Robin Williams

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock