Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  stock GT rims, are they all aluminum? Can the paint be stipped and then polish them?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

stock GT rims, are they all aluminum? Can the paint be stipped and then polish them? by kawana
Started on: 05-07-2008 09:58 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: kawana on 05-08-2008 02:51 PM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so im going to be lowering my car soon, and i was thinking about getting some new rims, BUT, after seeing a picture of a lowered GT with stock rims, i like the look. My rims are in pretty good condition, but im just wondering what they would look like if they were stripped of the paint, and then i were to polish the whole thing. So, does anyone have a picture of this done, or have any comments to make about this idea?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It can be done and I used to have a picture of this that I can't find right now.
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
I have stripped mine down but repainted them, paint comes off easy with a pressure washer, when the paints off it is a darker grey color so If you shine them up I dont think youll get a bright alluminum look but more of a darker grey.

------------------

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, i see. Thats not what i was hoping to hear lol :P If you can find a picture avengador1, id like to see what exactly they look like before i decide if i wanna do this. Thanks
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I hear alot of people say,that they've removed the paint with paint stripper,what about the origional powder coating?Will paint stripper remove that too?You might consider have the rims powder coated again silver,rather than the dull gray.I painted mine with Autozone Aluminimum engine paint, and a can of clear engine paint to seal the the aluminum and keep it from ozidizeing (turning dull).
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I finally found the picture I was looking for (not my car).

You can use Aircraft stripper to remove the paint from them and then use several grades of sandpaper to smooth them out before polishing. Here are a few links for you showing what to do and with more pictures.
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...n.cgi?WheelPolishing
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090738.html

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-08-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I hear alot of people say,that they've removed the paint with paint stripper,what about the origional powder coating?Will paint stripper remove that too?You might consider have the rims powder coated again silver,rather than the dull gray.I painted mine with Autozone Aluminimum engine paint, and a can of clear engine paint to seal the the aluminum and keep it from ozidizeing (turning dull).

wow, that looks great! Do you have a picture a little further back from the car?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock