Some small block chevy questions.. by V8IndyProject
Started on: 04-15-2008 12:05 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: xgamefan on 04-15-2008 01:01 PM
V8IndyProject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know of a well documented build thread installing a small block chevy, with lots of pictures? Also, my SBC's oil dipstick hole is located on the drivers left of the engine (if it were mounted in like a truck or something), therefore it is against the firewall in the fiero. I can't even get the dipstick in and out... has anyone had this problem? How can I solve it? Thanks. -Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8IndyProject:
Does anyone know of a well documented build thread installing a small block chevy, with lots of pictures?

i seem to recall that V8 Archie has a VHS tape you can buy for about $15.

Originally posted by V8IndyProject:
Also, my SBC's oil dipstick hole is located on the drivers left of the engine (if it were mounted in like a truck or something), therefore it is against the firewall in the fiero. I can't even get the dipstick in and out... has anyone had this problem? How can I solve it? Thanks. -Mark

there were a few years that GM had the dipstick on the right side of the block. Who knows why.
but since you already have your SBC in a fiero, you need to pickup a "target" oil pan.
And then talk to a really old engine machinist, so he can find you an oil dipstick adapter block.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
not 100% on this, but I believe that the right side dipstick started with the roller motors. I think 89 was the beginning year for that.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
87+ I think is when they phased in roller lifters, and some other stuff. My 2 piece rear 383 (in my boat) has the dipstick on the left side, as well.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Have you started or just putting together parts?
Here is a document from Archie's site.
Right click and save
I have a SBC in my Fiero installed using an Archie kit. It was second hand but I did move it from one car to another.
If you have any specific questions I can try to help.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The dipstick was moved to the passenger side when the SBC went to the 1 piece rear main seal in 86 (and the casting revision for the roller cam - even though most were not machined to accept the roller cams until 87 for cars and later for trucks).

There are a couple of options.
Find a slightly longer dipstick/tube that has the grip end above the valve cover. Vans had really long dipstick tubes.
You can buy an oil pan that has the dipstick tube going directly into the pan on the passenger side (or modify an existing pan for the passenger side dip stick).
LAMBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
I have one of those 1 piece seal ('86 and newer) blocks sitting on an engine stand out in my shop. It came out of a one ton van. It has a pan on it that allows for the dipstick to go on either side. Maybe you could pick up one of these at the local pick and pull.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
The dipstick moved to the passenger side on the 2 piece rear main seal blocks in 1980. The switch to a 1 piece rear main seal happened in 1986.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

V8IndyProject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information. My engine is an '87 (or so I was told anyway) it came from a chevy C60 flatbed truck. I bought archie's kit, so I have the video and everything, but its not the best quality, and I would just like to have pictures of everything. -Mark
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Here's a good thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-1-021178.html

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

The dipstick moved to the passenger side on the 2 piece rear main seal blocks in 1980. The switch to a 1 piece rear main seal happened in 1986.

That's right, I forgot about that change in 1980...
PFF
System Bot
xgamefan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xgamefanSend a Private Message to xgamefanDirect Link to This Post
Could you possibly use a flexible dipstick from summit??

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock