Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  v12 sound for my Diablo Replica (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
v12 sound for my Diablo Replica by svocal
Started on: 04-08-2008 04:12 AM
Replies: 61
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-10-2008 10:36 AM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Random idea:

Would a VW W-12 engine work? Or a Vr-6 w/Borla?

BMWguru would be an expert on these. Although neither look like an easy or "cheap" option from the little I understand about this swap.

IP: Logged
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Not to wander too far off topic, but the only reason I've ever seen reported for Corvettes not using DoD is they don't want a 4 cylinder exhaust note under cruise. The typical Corvette owner doesn't like it, so GM doesn't want to do it. It's not an issue on a car with quiet exhaust, but on the Vette, you'd be able to hear the difference.

That may be true on the LS2... but I can tell you for certain on the LS4... I can't tell a change in exhaust note from 4-8 cylinder mode in my GXP.
To be honest... that transition is so seemless... unless I am watching the instant MPG reading, I can't tell if I am running on 4 or 8!

My hat is currently off to whoever designed that... now when it breaks, I will be cussing, but for now... that is waaaay cool....

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2008 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Will, I don't have the article, nor do I have time to try to find an electronic copy online. But I did read what you said, but I also read the article.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Random idea:

Would a VW W-12 engine work? Or a Vr-6 w/Borla?

BMWguru would be an expert on these. Although neither look like an easy or "cheap" option from the little I understand about this swap.

The VR6 with a Magnaflow sounds nice, deep and tinny under full throttle. The W12 is probably going to be a very very expensive swap with very little support or mods.
Dave
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I think the sound of a R32 sounds pretty exotic. I wouldn't mind having one of those engines in a Fiero.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I think the sound of a R32 sounds pretty exotic. I wouldn't mind having one of those engines in a Fiero.

That might be my next swap if I can find a crashed R32 for a reasonable price. The sound is definitely exotic. Then again, a Jetta 24v VR6 with six speed and some upgraded cams can sound just the same for a lesser price.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 04-09-2008).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Thats would be awesome if you got ahold of a R32 engine. I have rode in a R32 and its a amazing car, I can imagine what it would be like in a Fiero. I like the 24v VR6's too, those have a nice tone to them but everyone that has them around here swears they are rare, so they jack the price up on them. My friend had a 1988 GTI with a Twin Turbo VR6 in it and that thing was nasty, crazy fast and it sounded amazing. I want a old GTI like that.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I'm getting mighty fed up with feeling like every goddam post has to be notorized before it can be posted.

You think that you can just post anything you want to without backing it up? What do you think this is, the internet?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You think that you can just post anything you want to without backing it up? What do you think this is, the internet?

No, I think this is Junior High School and there's a new hall monitor in town.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
be sure to get the fake V-12 engine cover as well

http://www.kitcarmagazine.c...0Lambo%20replica.htm
svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

be sure to get the fake V-12 engine cover as well

http://www.kitcarmagazine.c...0Lambo%20replica.htm

Thxs for the link. The fake V12 covers look great. But will they work over the V6 or V8 in the Transvere mounted position?
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by svocal:

Thxs for the link. The fake V12 covers look great. But will they work over the V6 or V8 in the Transvere mounted position?

yes, thats the whole reason for covering the tranverse up ..it doesnt look like the Lambo engine

RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Here's a lambo cover I am putting together over a 3.4L DOHC motor

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I still have some work to do and I have decided to try and carve the center cover out of foam so
I can have a mold made. I didn't use the diablo cover because of the sloping upper intake manifold.
I have the side cover basically done since these pics were taken.

Go with the 3.4L dohc if you want to get anywhere near v12 sound, chevy just ain't gonna work.

RUNDLC
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Hey Carthan show a few pics of the DOHC to encourage svocal

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 04-09-2008).]

svocal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for svocalSend a Private Message to svocalDirect Link to This Post
Thxs for the pic RUNDLC. looks good so far.
Dou have the 3.4DOHC in there? I can assume its mounted transverse right?
Maybe you can send me some picsof your toy. I'll send you some of mine.

Stephen
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by svocal:

Thxs for the pic RUNDLC. looks good so far.
Dou have the 3.4DOHC in there? I can assume its mounted transverse right?
Maybe you can send me some picsof your toy. I'll send you some of mine.

Stephen

I found this ..hopefully RUNDLC won't mind me sharing it with you
http://s222.photobucket.com...current=Hpim0897.flv

Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

This gives me an idea.

I wonder if they'll have to do something like that for the Tesla Roadster, or Fisker Karma, Venturi Fetish, etc. to slowly wean people off the "engine sound" they're used to growing up.

Would make a great joke gift for Tesla owners..

Although I have to say that I absolutely love the sound of a Tesla Roadster. Kind of like a supercharger whine, without the engine, or a Jet engine wine, without the excess noise..

_____
Note: the above cars mentioned are electric cars that do 0-60mph in 3.9 and under 5.5sec* respectively.

(* IIRC, I don't remember Fisker specs exactly.)

Heard only part of a news article this morning that said there is legislation that may require electric/hybrid vehicles to make noise. They cited that a Prius can only be heard when it's 40% closer to a pedestrian than a normal car. I'm guessing this is to address concerns about blind pedestrians not being able to tell that there is an oncomming car.

If my vehicle has to make noise, I want it to sound like the ice cream truck... really screw with the neighborhood kids.

[This message has been edited by Icelander (edited 04-09-2008).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Here's the MTV Pimp My Ride episode where they put the Vroom box in, make sure you let the next episode run too.
http://www.mtv.com/overdriv...d=1559316&vid=149694
You can make you car sound like a moped too.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-09-2008).]

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

MTV Pimp My Ride

God I hate that show...
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I always get a laugh out of it. They are way too over the top for anything mainstream.
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Eric that's fine I got an email from him tonight and didn't know which forum he was from. I'm on wayyy to many.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Most of the Euro exotics are small displacement. A lot of tiny cylinders makes a very distictive whine I dont think you will ever get from a V8. A 6 cylinder engine can sound more like them. My V6 Ferrari kit sounded very much like a real 308 when it was wound up. My V8 car just had too much deep throated rumble. You might play with some kind of fan or turbine blade inserted in the exhaust pipes but i dont know. Good luck
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock