dyno day in fieroXland by fieroX
Started on: 02-05-2008 03:05 AM
Replies: 102
Last post by: fieroX on 02-11-2008 05:53 PM
big block fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2008 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
The truck only makes 110hp from its turbo diesle ---------FRONT MOTOR !!! which gets good gas mileage but not when its playing tug of war "spinning" burn out with the BACK MOTOR that makes one horsepower per cubic inch.

Are you on engine number six yet, "purple bracket maker" --------- I mean "bracket seller" ? valve guides really do need to be clearanced properly and I always very finely sand and polish the stems of new stainless valves because they are not smooth and give inconsistent runout regardless of what they may feel like.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 02-10-2008).]

IP: Logged
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Richlo,yup,we got the 20 inches here in Jefferson.I don't know if I'll get up there or not,got a lot of things I want to go to this year with the new car.I think the engine and paint job will really get some attention.Now I just have to make it work on the track.

Don
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
troy ritchie is the guys name with the 406 on NOS...if you all recall a video of a black fastback that does a wheelie from the start line..that car is his also..its a turbocharged northstar on NOS...another freak of nature he owns...he doesnt come on here much cuz he is not much for computers..that is why you dont see him posting anything..plus these are just his and his wifes toys...others from calgary,edmonton and the rest of alberta have all seen these cars when troy hosts our red deer meet in the summer...i have tried to encourage him to be active on here but no luck...if my word isnt good enough then strike my remarks.. tim
big block fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

troy ritchie is the guys name with the 406 on NOS...if you all recall a video of a black fastback that does a wheelie from the start line..that car is his also..its a turbocharged northstar on NOS...another freak of nature he owns...he doesnt come on here much cuz he is not much for computers..that is why you dont see him posting anything..plus these are just his and his wifes toys...others from calgary,edmonton and the rest of alberta have all seen these cars when troy hosts our red deer meet in the summer...i have tried to encourage him to be active on here but no luck...if my word isnt good enough then strike my remarks.. tim

Your word is good with me, my only sceptisism is if you got misinformation from someone else. Many would doubt that this was done with a getrag five speed because many have tried. If he has gotten this tranny to live threw ten second runs then could you ask how he made the tranny live and then share the knowledge?

RichLo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
the only problems getrags have with v8s is their imense torque at low rpm. if you build a sbc for high rpm (8000+rpm powerband) you can launch before the tranny busting torque comes on so that you have a constant load on the tranny which is where the cryo treatment is benefitial. Cryo treatment will not hold up to a hard launch any better then if it wasnt cryoed because of the slop that all tranny have puts a shock onto the gears and cryo treatment is actually very fragile to shock but can hold much more sheer torque then non-treated metal. think of cryo treatment like cinder block bricks, if you drop them from 5ft, they will shatter like glass but yet they can hold the weight of a skyscraper with ease. so if you already have a load on it you can throw a lot more power at it then many people think at higher rpm.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
dual stage nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
next time i am talking to troy i will ask...i know he "had' started a 6 spd swap for this car but im not sure if he finished it or not...just cuz he is running a getrag 5 spd doesnt mean he likes it...and if memory serves me correct he was running the fwd 5 spd not an actual fiero tranny...i am also sure this is at least the second one he has had in it...that and numerous axle replacements..i never stated it was reliable i just know what it is capable of...tim
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
So X, the weekend is over pretty much. Any timeslips?

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs 12.95@106.1mph

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
well, first shakedown pass I left at 4 psi and blew the tires to oblivion and pulled a crowd stunning 2.130 60', I spun to 45 mph letting out 3 times before the 1-2 shift, to complete a 12.209 @ 126.33 mph. Next pass sucked, 3rd pass I left off idle, and ran a 1.968 60' (started spinning about 20 feet out, and continued spinning through the 1-2 shift) to complete a 11.569 @ 123.71. Something is still going goofy with my 2-3 shift. I shimmed my accumulator the other day to where it only has 3/16" of total travel. I think I should of replaced my boost valve in the valve body. Anyway, Im getting ready to invest in some Mickey Thompsons, this car has a 10.90 in it the way it sits. BTW, My best ever (a couple yrs ago) was a 11.54 @ 124 (1.68 60'), this was on 21 psi, today I was only running on 17 psi. Im getting a new fuel pump next week, this will allow me to turn it back to 21 psi and not worry about going lean again. I also have all of the runs on video, Ill get something put up in the next couple of days. Track was way too cold, and the Okies were blowing up too many camaros to get any traction.
The car did get a shltload of attention though, you guys would of been proud. My friends were in the stands videoing, and they said when I did my burnout, my turbo and blowoff valve were so loud, people were turning heads and were like "what the fu(k??) they said it was hilarious. Next thing you know, everybody is huddling around wanting to see what I had back there. good times. Wish I could of run a 10, but the traction gods werent on my side today.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 02-11-2008).]

RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
do you have a LSD or locker in that new tranny of yours? you might want to try lightening the front end a bit to get some more rearward weight transfer aswell. what rpm were you launching at? fieros shouldnt have any traction problems if its setup for drag.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I dont have any problem cutting out 1.8's with my auto, 1.7's with the manual, with half the horsepower that the stock 3800 puts out.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RichLo:

do you have a LSD or locker in that new tranny of yours? you might want to try lightening the front end a bit to get some more rearward weight transfer aswell. what rpm were you launching at? fieros shouldnt have any traction problems if its setup for drag.

Nope, stock diff. I can spin both tires no problem, and havent ever had any 1 tire fire problems. The front end is as light as its gonna get, until I start remaking steel parts out of aluminum. I was launching at about 2500 rpm with 5 pounds of boost registered. I didnt used to have traction problems 150 rwhp ago.
PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I dont have any problem cutting out 1.8's with my auto, 1.7's with the manual, with half the horsepower that the stock 3800 puts out.

you dont have traction problems because you dont have enough power to spin the tires. :P once you see the videos you will understand what the problem was. Dont worry, mickey thompson 26x8.5x15's on the way.
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
I hope your planning on running tubes and drilling the wheels for bead locks with those MTs.

sorry, I havent followed your tranny build very close but are you running a trans brake with 2500 converter or just footbraking it?

post the vids and the slips!
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Using a friend of mines recommendation on the Mickeys, he said I dont make enough power to need bead locks. He used to run the same size tire and same size rim on his 5.0 and never had problems, tubeless and lockless. Makes more power than me, and launching with a 200 shot. My turbo comes on a lot softer than that n2o does.

no trans brake, just foot braking. I have the zzp 3250 stall.

i dont have the vids, im relying on friends of mine to send them to me first. Slips are sitting here, they arent that impressive though. I can post them if they are that important though.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

you dont have traction problems because you dont have enough power to spin the tires. :P once you see the videos you will understand what the problem was. Dont worry, mickey thompson 26x8.5x15's on the way.

Thats a flat out lie, My first 2 runs were 2.2 60' due to launching off torque converter, I usually launch with light pedal, rolling off the brake at about 1200 rpms. I use nice summer only tires, 225 eagle GS-d3's. My friend with the manual launches off idle, he lets the clutch out while slowing ramping up the power and has goodyear allseason tires, he sees full throttle about a second after he does a moderately quick clutch dump.

Both of these methods are horrid for trying to make a bracket car, but they work enough to get consistently good launches, and occasionally if you do it just right, a great launch sneaks out.

I am not flaming, I am sure its hard to keep double the power under control after only limited driving. Each of us have thousands of street miles on our cars before ever going to the track. Practice makes perfect.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

I am sure its hard to keep double the power under control after only limited driving.

double the power? more like 4.5x the power. 5.5x the power of the engine the car came stock with. (duke)

Each of us have thousands of street miles on our cars before ever going to the track. Practice makes perfect.

and I dont? I have put 45k miles on this car since i bought it back in 2001. I have made probably a hundred passes, many of which are in the 11's. Youre goofy.
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Good try Ryan,I ran the same size MT on my Aldino without tubes and every run the tire would spin about an 1/2 an inch and I was running under 1.5 60 fts.Put a chalk mark on the tire and rim and you'll see it.Never had a problem.If I
had a tube in there it would cut the valve stem.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
yeah, im going to run mine tubeless also. Ive been hearing of people kinking the tubes and causing them to pop. I dont think I will pull a 1.5 60' but will be very happy with 1.60's.
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
geez even fellow 3.8sc owners are biting each others heads off. I have to agree with DH in that your first time back to the track after doing any major modification should be by yourself or at most one other skilled buddy to help dial in the car. There is a lot less pressure to make a 'world record' run if your the only one out there that knows the significance of a 10sec run. So you can spend more time slowly dialing in your car instead of going balls to the wall the first run down the track... nothing ever goes right if you try to run your car this way.

Im going to dial in my car at the track by myself at least twice before I tell anyone that the car is ready to race. (one trip to break-in the engine, another to dial in the ignition and carb, if it needs more tuning then I'll go more) Patience is a virtue.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci 'Mini-Rat' motor
built 5-speed getrag

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

I cut a 1.77 60ft. on my 3800 supercharged with a 3.4" pulley. Ran a 12.75 @ 107 mph
Then I put a 2.8" pulley, Intercooler, headers, full 3" exhaust, and a tune, and went 12.0 @ 118 mph with a 1.9 60ft. It's a lot easier to launch an NA or Supercharged car than a Turbo car with lots of boost.

Launching a car does take practice, but it's not rocket science to know that no matter how good you are at driving; if you dont have the right tires, you wont get good 60ft's.

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
If you are running a swap with high HP then there is no doudt that you have to ungrade the tires or you are going to spin. If you can launch on a street tire with no spin then you arent make making enough HP. When I ran on street tires, the best 60' I could cut was a 2.0 and that was wether I rolled into it or hammered it from the hole. Next time back I ran MT drag radials on the back and was able to cut a 1.6 60' with no tire spin. It is amazing what differance a good tire makes and how much time you can cut running them. Track here opens up end of this month so new times will be coming soon.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

well, first shakedown pass I left at 4 psi and blew the tires to oblivion and pulled a crowd stunning 2.130 60', I spun to 45 mph letting out 3 times before the 1-2 shift, to complete a 12.209 @ 126.33 mph. Next pass sucked, 3rd pass I left off idle, and ran a 1.968 60' (started spinning about 20 feet out, and continued spinning through the 1-2 shift) to complete a 11.569 @ 123.71. Something is still going goofy with my 2-3 shift. I shimmed my accumulator the other day to where it only has 3/16" of total travel. I think I should of replaced my boost valve in the valve body. Anyway, Im getting ready to invest in some Mickey Thompsons, this car has a 10.90 in it the way it sits. BTW, My best ever (a couple yrs ago) was a 11.54 @ 124 (1.68 60'), this was on 21 psi, today I was only running on 17 psi. Im getting a new fuel pump next week, this will allow me to turn it back to 21 psi and not worry about going lean again. I also have all of the runs on video, Ill get something put up in the next couple of days. Track was way too cold, and the Okies were blowing up too many camaros to get any traction.
The car did get a shltload of attention though, you guys would of been proud. My friends were in the stands videoing, and they said when I did my burnout, my turbo and blowoff valve were so loud, people were turning heads and were like "what the fu(k??) they said it was hilarious. Next thing you know, everybody is huddling around wanting to see what I had back there. good times. Wish I could of run a 10, but the traction gods werent on my side today.

Good runs--the MPH is there for 10s so once the traction issue is dealt with, I dont see it being a problem. The only thing is once the traction is handled and the power is put to the ground, what is going to take the stress?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

once the traction is handled and the power is put to the ground, what is going to take the stress?

I hope the $2800 4t65eHD will

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock