Started on: 11-22-2007 01:58 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Mr.PBody on 11-25-2007 08:49 PM
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Well I've posted a few high idle threads and I've fixed them to an extent. Heres my current issue, if I start my car it starts at about 1,500rpms and just stays there, if you let it run for like 10 minutes eventually it finds its way down to 900rpms. If you tease the throttle and rev on it a bit it eventually gets to 900rpms. Or if you just go ahead and go start driving after a minute or two when you stop at a light or something it'll be back down to 900 rpms. I took the TB out and cleaned all the gunk out of it. Is this my IAC going bad? Can I clean it or something? I don't have $75 to spend on one right now. Anyone have a cheap used one?

Problem 2, I got a CRX intake (which I love) but when you start out it makes this obnoxious sucking noise, more so than a cold air should add. On my CRX intake where there is a provision for PCV I ran that line that feed the egr solenoid like on the stock intake elbow. I have my egr plated off though, and I have the line that goes to the egr valve plugged. So do I need the line that pull air out of the intake hooked up? and could it be causing the sucking noise?

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 11-22-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
The high idle is normal for our cars, especially in the colder weather. If you upgrade to the 7730 ECM this issue will supposedly be gone.

For the second part, well, Im just confused. lol. If your worried about carbon build-up, there is a product called Sea Foam, which is a top engine cleaner, and works great. If you have questions on how to use it, just let me know.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Not worried about carbon build up, well i am but thats not related, I took out the unnessicary info. I just want to know if the obnoxious sucking is the egr solenoid pulling air out of the intake, and since my egr is removed, can I just plug that line.

How much does the 7730 swap cost? What cars does it come out of? I am going to the you pull it yard and a ecm is $21.

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 11-22-2007).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'd hook up that EGR. I had one with my CRX intake. On my Edelbrock intake I have no EGR, but that is designed that way.

Part of the noise with the CRX is the style of air filter on it. I used the standard cannister style K&N in the wheel well.

Try the EGR it might make quite a difference.

Arn
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
ew why, I hate egr lol. Is it okay to plug that vacuum solenoid feeder line? I had it plugged with my old intake and everything seemed fine and there was no sucking sound but that was with a dickman style water bypass box delete. My car is in storage right now but next time I got visit it I will try plugging that line and if that doesn't work I will hook the EGR back up. Ever since I got 34 mpg on the hwy with a bad fuel filter without EGR I kinda liked a zero emission controlled car. Also hopefully I will make it to the junkyard this weekend and I am going to try to pick up a spare $6 IAC and a 7730 ecu and start buying up parts for the swap

Edit, I've put CAIs on integras, subarus, jeeps, and a few others and I've never experienced sucking this bad (lol) it makes a pssst noise like a lame turbo when you let off the gas from WOT which makes me think its the EGR solenoid because doesn't EGR kick off at WOT, then come back on when you get out of the pedal?

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 11-23-2007).]

help_my_fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for help_my_fieroSend a Private Message to help_my_fieroDirect Link to This Post
I would chech the coolant sencer it sounds like your engine is not comming to temp soon enought
You mite as well check the theristat it mite be lazy
you can set the IAC by crossing ab terminal in the service port
to do that you cross the port and then turn the key on and wait a mint for it to reset
I have beeen fighting a high IDLE problem my self and I am slowly winning
good luck
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

doesn't EGR kick off at WOT, then come back on when you get out of the pedal?

No.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
You can pull out the IAC valve and clean out the ports.
If it was dirty, The car is going to idle high until you drive it.
The IAC gets reset by the ECM once you drive over 40mph so once clean, drive it, and see if it was causing the idle issue.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 11-23-2007).]

megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
ive noticed that when ive got a big air leak or messed something up the iac will suck in tons of air and cause the increase in intake noise youre talking about. it sounds like a jet winding up. just recheck whatever you were doing back there and make sure you didnt leave something off or the pcv tube under your TB didnt break, stuff like that.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm okay, well tomorrow I am going to the junkyard and I think I will try to grab a spare IAC for a couple bucks off a low miled car and clean it up. When I go see my car again I will clean the tb and double check my vacuum lines. However I know I don't have a vacuum leak, because I've had them before, I know what they sound like, and a vacuum leak doesn't let the idle eventually go down to the stock setting. I really want to switch to the 7730 after reading about it some more, so I am going to begin acrewing parts for that.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Also I found a brand new delco coolant sensor on my last junkyard visit and installed that. Plugs, O2, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, all that stuff is new too. Should I try to get an extra TPS too?
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006
My belt is also slipping and squeaking badly, I know it needs to get fixed and I have a gatorback on order but would that have any effect on how the car is running?
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
The belt doesnt have anything to do with any of your problems. Any new sensor(s) you get Im sure wont hurt, the car is 20yrs old. You may also want to replace the thermostat, it could be slightly stuck open, causing delayed warm-up periods.

To be honest though, the air noise and high idle all sounds typical of the Fiero. I wouldnt worry about it.

You may also want to do this. You may see a difference, I did not.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
The ground strap is already done, it didn't help, it didn't hurt, w/e I will leave it on there. I do have 0ohms chassis resistance everywhere but I dunno what it was like before. I think tomorrow I may grab a new thermostat from pep boys, a stant should be like $5 or $6 right? Thats another part that cant hurt. Alot of my sensors are new. This noise is obnoxious, and I've had 3 intake setups. Since I am going to go 7730 in the spring my EGR system will get totally removed. I never thought to get a new thermostat, thanks AutoTech + for you
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
Cool, let us know how the new t-stat works out.

I dont know if youve ever started the car without any intake plumbing whatsoever, but I'll be damned is it the loudest sucking sound Ive ever heard! lol I think somehow the baffles in the stock intake reduce that noise for some reason.

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 11-23-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I've ran it with just the open TB before and it was loud, but not even this loud. I have a ton of stuff I need to get for my next trip to visit the car. 7730 swap is a ways off I am just collecting parts and talking to Ryan boosting my self esteem for trying to do this.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The sucking sound you hear is because the IAC is open so far, which is also causing your high idle speed.
I had one of those Auto-Zone "build it yourself" cold air intakes on my car for a while. It sounded like Darth Vader was living in my trunk.
The CAI tubing probably tends to amplify the noise a bit.
The high idle from a cold start is pretty normal if it's it's cold outside. Mine does the same thing until it's warmed up.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Good point raydar, the sucking goes down after the idle comes down. I went to junkyard late today, they closed 40 minutes after I got there and I forgot my 7730 cross reference. All three IACs I pulled cracked in half. So I got nothing, I am going back tomorrow with a 7730 list. The IACs are cheap I may grab a spare anyways. Thermostats are $6.99 at autozone so I will buy one before I go up to my car again. Anything else you guys think I should try to snag at the junkyard? I had a set of 5.0 Firebird side scoops, got one out really easy, the other one cracked right in half.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock