Started on: 10-22-2007 08:56 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: TK on 10-24-2007 07:13 PM
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I'm not looking to discuss the merits of the bearings but rather has anyone removed them and put stock seals back in? It appears the bearing have a knurled ring that bites into the housing right where the factory seal would go.

Has anyone removed them and gotten a good seal afterwards? I have to find replacement seals for the bearings themselves and I am considering dumping them altogether and just installing factory seals.

TK
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Hi all,

I'm not looking to discuss the merits of the bearings but rather has anyone removed them and put stock seals back in? It appears the bearing have a knurled ring that bites into the housing right where the factory seal would go.

Has anyone removed them and gotten a good seal afterwards? I have to find replacement seals for the bearings themselves and I am considering dumping them altogether and just installing factory seals.

TK

Nope, don't do it, you'll never get them to seal.

Archie

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Maybe this will help you in getting new seals. The part numbers area available locally at your auto parts source by using the P/N's in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/063357.html -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 10-22-2007).]

tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Rodney sells replacement seals now for those stabilizers.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 10-22-2007).]

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Nope, don't do it, you'll never get them to seal.

Archie

That's what I am thinking.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

TK

10013 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

Rodney sells replacement seals now for those stabilizers.

The seals aren't really the issue. I'm not convinced they do what people think they do but if I am going to fight leaks putting stock seals back in I might not have a choice.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

TK

10013 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Maybe this will help you in getting new seals. The part numbers area available locally at your auto parts source by using the P/N's in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/063357.html -Jason

Those aren't the right seals for Rodney's bearings (Pioneer 759039). I think those are for the Fiero Store bearing.
cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
I had them on a few years ago and I took them off. I didn't have a blind-hole bearing puller, so I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the axle supports. I then used some orange RTV to fill the gouges left by the axle support bearings and then I installed the stock axle seals. They have never leaked since.

Edited to add the link to an old thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-053866.html

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 10-23-2007).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was going to suggest... remove the bearings & install stock seals with a bead of RTV. You may have to use sandpaper or an abrasive tool to take the edges off the gouges left by the bearing housing so that the stock seal fits the way it should, but RTV should fill the gouges once you do that.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Thanks folks, I'll make a decision on what I want to do. One side already had sealer so they had problems with leaks too.

Terry
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I bought the seals from Rodney to use on the Fiero store's axle stabilizer bearing and seals. The seals should interchange as the axle support bearings are the same from either vendor. It's less risky to replace the seal than the whole support bearing. If you take it out there is no guarantee the new seal will seal against the case. If the axle support bearings are not pressed all the way into the case and if they didn't use the right sealer, they might leak at the case too. One possible solution is to try and pry the bearing out a bit and seal it with some high temp silicon sealer all the way around, then press the bearing all the way back in the case.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 10-23-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
It looks like they got the bearing to seal by adding a bunch of RTV sealer. For now, I will replace the outer axle saver seals and try it.

The 759039 seals listed in the other thread look like stock Getrag seals but they are for Chysler transaxles. The size isn't exactly the same. There is no way they would fit in the axle savers. Maybe someone got that part number wrong.

I have new axle saver seals from Rodney and new stock Getrag seals. I'll slaughter a goat and wait for a vision from the gods as to which way to go.

Thanks!

Terry

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock