Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Build a passenger side axle for a 4t60e-pics (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Build a passenger side axle for a 4t60e-pics by jeffndebrus
Started on: 11-02-2004 12:14 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: fierosound on 11-14-2007 02:34 PM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
When changing your stock transmission out for a 4t60e--4spd automatic found in many GM cars, it is required that you use a different axle combination because the width of the transmission is greater.
In this post I will detail what worked for me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
For your drivers side of the Fiero with 4t60e you can use a left axle for a '90 Pontiac 6000 with 4T60 and light duty brakes. It is a stock drop in part and works well.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001
For the passenger side you have to use a GM axle part number 9572 which can be ordered by asking for a 1994 Pontiac Transport van right hand axle-4spd automatic 3800.
The outer CV joint on this unit is too large to fit the Fiero hub/bearing assembly so it must be removed and exchanged for a Manual Tranny Fiero CV joint.
***Please Be Advised*** some axle remanufactureres are using smaller diameter axles so when you get your Fiero manual cv joint---make sure that the axle which it came off of is a 1.030in axle---NOT the smaller .85in which some are using.-the smaller cv joint will not fit on the minivan axle.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

first] lay down some newspapers because you will have to play with grease.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

I like to wear Nitrile gloves because the grease does not deteriorate them. And it makes for easy clean up.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

This is GM part number 9572 axle which is a commonly used part. Notice how large the outer end is compared to our Fiero axles though. This is what we need to change.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

First cut the reatiner band which holds the rubber boot in place. Slide the boot back and remove some of the grease so you can see what you are doing.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Using a snap ring pliers-locate the snap ring which is snug against the axle itself and rests just inside the star shaped inner bearing race. You will use you pliers to Spread the spring open just a little while pulling on the end of the cv joint. It will slide right off the axle.-The retaining spring remains inside the cv joint.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Here you see the business end of the CV joint and if you look carefully in the bottom center you may spot the retaining spring which was spread to allow the cv to come loose from the axle.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

In the picture I have installed the Fiero CV joint on the minivan axle by simply lining up the splines and giving it a good push. The end of the axle itself is tapered so this actually spreads the reatining spring for you. When it reaches the proper depth the retaining spring snaps into a groove in the axle and keeps the cv joint in place.
Notice the difference in size between the removed and installed cv joints.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Use degreaser and paper towel to clean up the boot after packing some extra grease inside the boot. Then, when you have the outside clean, use a hose clamp to reseal the boot onto the cv joint.

PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Now I am ready to install my custom axle back into my Fiero. I spent about 20 minutes building this axle and three times that changing gloves so I could take pics, and posting them. Don't be afraid to make your own axles--even a dummy like me figured it out.

My name Is Jeff Irwin and I approve this message!

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well--I see the part made it there and was put to use right away, glad it all worked out for you. This is a good thread being that so many swaps are being done these day, I know when I did my axle setup, I went in blind on what to do. EVERYONE note that this setup it for the 4T60E and not the 4T65E(HD), you build the axle setup the same way but use differant parts. Just so no one goes down the wrong road and ends up with several tore apart axles that are useless to them. There is another thread that I posted in that tells the configuration used for the 4T65e(HD).

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 11-02-2004).]

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

I have run into a problem. The bolt housing on the hose clamp will not clear the pinch bolt tower on the lower control arm. I will have to figure out a way to remedy this problem.
Any ideas????

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Remove the hose clamps, they would have come loose over time anyway. You need to find the right band for the boot. Try www.jcwhitney.com or even any autopart store that carries a replacemnt CV joint boot kit or CV joint boot repair kit, these will have the right band.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 11-02-2004).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

I have run into a problem. The bolt housing on the hose clamp will not clear the pinch bolt tower on the lower control arm. I will have to figure out a way to remedy this problem.
Any ideas????

OK I Predicted this!!! BEHOLD! HIS NEW AXLE PROBLEM!

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Any ideas????

My first thought was a zip-tie. One of the ones with the metal "catch". Not the all-nylon one.
If you can get the correct band, that would be even better.

My concern was that the screw adjustment on the hose clamp would cause an out of balance condition. Not that you'd feel it, but it might tear the rubber after a while. (I hate it when that happens.)

Great thread, though!
Thanks for going to the trouble. It looks really easy when it's laid right out in front of you, as you've taken the time to do.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

My first thought was a zip-tie. One of the ones with the metal "catch". Not the all-nylon one.
If you can get the correct band, that would be even better.

I used large zip ties on my axle build, I bought a set of metal bands but they werent big enough. I was looking to get it in so I just used large zip ties, have seen many others use them also. I was told that Napa carries a kit with the metal bands and the tool to set them but I havent looked into it yet.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Well, for tonight I just moved the band over far enough to clear the thingamajigger.
Maybe later I will change it out.
I also worked on trying to flare the tranny cooler lines but screwed up and flared outward instead of inward----they are in an awful place to reach and I worked for like two hrs on just one of them and am unable to complete it. I have now become angry and was screaming and cursing so it is time to stop for today. I need to get cleaned up and go decide which Liar to run our country.--God help us all!
paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Jeff, I believe that the original metal bands can be reused if you don't cut them off. I just happen to have a spare if you need one.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the info. Plus for you....
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear you are getting closer in getting this problem fixed. Good write-up.

Jack

85LAMB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post

Good job
Thank you for posting this, I was going to ask you to post something for those of us who are not there jet.
Thanks again
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I stopped by Advanced Auto last night and picked up their last boot clamp band. For some reason they will no longer be stocking these--I guess you will have to purchase the boot replacement kit in the future.--But I am sure there will be other sources like NAPA who will have them.
So, today I will replace the hose clamp with the little boot band and my axle project should be finished.
Good luck with your project Fiero's!
86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
a big + for you. saved to favorites. now does anyone have a list of cars and engines that had this tranny?

hans

rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
This thread is valueable for rebuilding any cv unit whether it's an upgrade or other. I like it cause one can use it to troubleshoot stock axles. Well documented and good input from others. A+ for you.
88Ironduke

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88IrondukeSend a Private Message to 88IrondukeDirect Link to This Post
FYI to those out there. A zip tie IS a suitablable substitute for the OEM metal bands. There is one trick to installing a zip tie on a C/V boot. The contact area between the boot and C/V joint MUST be clean and free of any grease. If there is grease there the boot will pop right off. The zip tie cannot create enough clamping force to hold the boot in place.

Do not use most of clear/white zip ties. I read lots of documentation on the effects of U/V light on them over time causing the zip ties to become brittle. If you're buying the cheap zip ties, you're going to get cheap zip ties. Spend the few bucks and buy heavey duty.

I have used this in many front wheel drive cars and never had a problem of the boot coming off. The boots in a FWD setup see alot more twisting forces due to the steering of the tires. If they stayed on there, then a Fiero shouldn't be a problem at all. Hopefully this may save someone else from fighting with all kinds of clamps and so on.

Just my .02 cents
88Ironduke

------------------
Pilots with out maintainers are just pedestrians with a cool jacket and sunglasses.
I.Y.A.M.Y.A.S.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I just reused the stock clamps. Take them off with care and you can reuse them. Just spred the crimped aria and lift the end of the band off of the "teeth" and it will pop off. To put it back on (it was work and I have done several of them,but some were harder than others) pull the end of the band over the teeth till the holes are in the same location as they were stock. Then crimp the raisd crimping aria. Some bands are welded and cant be reused but they are on the new axles not the old ones.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Thought I's check back to see if there's anything new on this. How's the axle holding up?

Thanks

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Mine are good.
Like I said they are the stock clamps that have been taken off and reasembled.
I will say that I also have the hose clamps too. but for the clamps that have verry little room I did use the stock claps. The aftermarket claps that are suposed to replace the stock clamps are carp. I did try them and had no luck. I would rather take off the stock clamps and reuse them then go to Pep Boys and get the crapy replacenents.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Max the chainsaw,
thanks for asking. The axle is holding up great. I am driving the 4.9 now and have loged about 140 miles on it so far with various road surfaces and speeds up to 80 mph and have had no problems yet.
Thanks Jeff
PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Max the chainsaw,
thanks for asking. The axle is holding up great. I am driving the 4.9 now and have loged about 140 miles on it so far with various road surfaces and speeds up to 80 mph and have had no problems yet.
Thanks Jeff

Your going to get a ticket going that fast unless your on the freeway

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

Your going to get a ticket going that fast unless your on the freeway

That was just in his Driveway!

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 12-05-2004).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all,

Great write up...!!!! I was curious as this is for the 4t60e, will it different if I use a 4t60??

edit: If you are using a 4t60 and the computer is not used to control shifting, what is then used to shift the tranny........??

[This message has been edited by pavo_roddy (edited 01-12-2005).]

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all,

Great write up...!!!! I was curious as this is for the 4t60e, will it different if I use a 4t60??

edit: If you are using a 4t60 and the computer is not used to control shifting, what is then used to shift the tranny........??

This post is for the 4t60E version.

The Non E (4t60) uses a vacume modulator to control shifting. The 4t60 uses standard axles from the Manual Fiero and the Pontiac 6000 Non ABS, OD Auto, Light duty Brakes.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

I stopped by Advanced Auto last night and picked up their last boot clamp band. For some reason they will no longer be stocking these-- But I am sure there will be other sources who will have them.

I found one in the HELP! section at Pep Boys. Nice post, Thanks!

------------------
John DuRette
***Custom 85 under construction, 87 Coupe in the driveway. The fun never ends!***

Rborecky

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2005 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RboreckyClick Here to visit Rborecky's HomePageSend a Private Message to RboreckyDirect Link to This Post
Question??? Does this work the same for a 4T60e HD trans? I see allot of post's saying the Heavy Duty is different and had not noticed you saying HD in any of the post's. Thanks,,Rick B

President Cleveland Fieros
www.clevelandfieros.com

Rborecky@mindspring.com

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rborecky:

Question??? Does this work the same for a 4T60e HD trans? I see allot of post's saying the Heavy Duty is different and had not noticed you saying HD in any of the post's. Thanks,,Rick B

President Cleveland Fieros
www.clevelandfieros.com

Rborecky@mindspring.com

The 4T60-E HD trans requires larger-spline CV axles, similar to those required by the people running the 4T65-E HD transmissions.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Originally posted by Kento:

This post is for the 4t60E version.

The Non E (4t60) uses a vacume modulator to control shifting. The 4t60 uses standard axles from the Manual Fiero and the Pontiac 6000 Non ABS, OD Auto, Light duty Brakes.

BOTH the 4T60 AND 4T60-E transmissions use a vacuum modulator. The vacuum modulator on BOTH transmissions serves only ONE purpose -- line pressure control. On the 4T60, shift points and kickdown are controlled by the TV cable and governor. On the 4T60-E they are controlled by the PCM.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-03-2005).]

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2005 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
Definately useful thread. Thank you for the details and trouble you went through + for you

galen

------------------
Make it FAST or don't make it :)

LITTLE RED BOMB..............Someday it will be mine..The Teacher
www.velocityaircraft.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors