Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 obd2 wiring swap questions with lots of pictures (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800 obd2 wiring swap questions with lots of pictures by darkhorizon
Started on: 06-28-2006 01:25 AM
Replies: 67
Last post by: fiero-iwan on 11-24-2006 05:54 AM
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Hummm... I had my tach working, I'm pretty sure I just wired the white "tach" wire from the engine to the wire for the tach... It doesn't respond at all?
IP: Logged
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
The fiero tach needs to be tapped into the tach signal from the ignition modual, I tapped mine into the icm harness, If you look at the harness that plugs into the main harness you will see a pinout left blank on it.

You also need a fiero 6cyl tach to work, The 4cyl will not work and read 2x the rpm more, I ended up using a aftermarket tach.

Im not a big fan of the huge freaking tachs, But it works The shiftlight also will scare the crap out of you if your not use to it.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 07-21-2006).]

aa2uk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aa2ukClick Here to visit aa2uk's HomePageSend a Private Message to aa2ukDirect Link to This Post
White wire from C500 to white wire in the coilpack module did it on my 3800.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have a 4cyl tach, for now, looks like i get to do a dash swap sooner than I thought.

I think I was going off of some ecm output for the tach, I will just pull it off the icm, shouldnt be a problem. Do I splice into it? or should I just cut it and run it directly?
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I vote for splicing into it, so the ECM still knows how fast the engine's turning. Man that is a huge tach... Oh - you can modify the 4 cyl tach to work with the 6 cyl engine. I modified a 6cyl tach to work on a 4, and I know you can go the other way. I think there's a thread here somewhere, a search should turn something up. If I remember right it was just changing the value of a resistor.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I know, I need a new dash anyway, and I happen to have 2 v6 dashes here.

Going to be programming the speedo here when i get it running better, aka fix my axle.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Aaah.. In that case, swap away! Man you guys are lucky to live near your Fieros. Wish I could work on mine every day. hehe
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to add that I have no clue where the pcm puts out 12v for the fuel pump, I have just been jumping mine to the stereo wire for the last few days

Also my reverse lights dont work, but I will investigate a bit more while I commence wiring version 2.0. I am going to clean up alot of the engine type wiring I didnt want to mess with before I had it running.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL... I'm sure one of the guys will chime in.. I'd give ya the pin # but my books are with the Fiero, 50 miles south. It may be a GND from the PCM to drive the fuel pump relay, can't remember for sure. I'll be wiring that tomorrow. Edit: Isn't the reverse light circuit the funky one that goes into and out of the C500 connector twice? Something to do with making it compatible with the different versions of cars..? If that's right, one side of the C500 connector is a "loopback" that just jumps between 2 pins, so if it's on the wrong C500 connector it may be jumping into nothingness.. Just a thought!

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 07-22-2006).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I did most of the c500 connector fairly blind as I was in a hurry, so I will check it closer. I think there are 2 or 3 green wires coming out of the trans, so I could of got one mixed up.

It sorta sucks that the car itself is sorta weird already. The dash lights randomly come on and off, the fuse for the horn blew, but I cant seem to find it in the fusebox. I really need to spend some more time on it, I have been focusing elsewhere, as it still runs great without these nice fancy gauges.

on a good note, my fan controler works awesome, the temp gauge works great, the charge indicator works, and the temp warning works. so I guess for every non working gauge I have one that works, not so bad I guess considering I just whrilwinded the whole deal in an afternoon.
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
Bump for update
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Don't know which harness and computer you are using. But the 99 GTP setup uses Pin 3 on the clear connector for the Fuel Pump Relay Control. It's a DkGrn/Wht wire. Circuit # 465 if that helps.
aa2uk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aa2ukClick Here to visit aa2uk's HomePageSend a Private Message to aa2ukDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Well, I have a 4cyl tach, for now, looks like i get to do a dash swap sooner than I thought.

I think I was going off of some ecm output for the tach, I will just pull it off the icm, shouldnt be a problem. Do I splice into it? or should I just cut it and run it directly?

Piggy back it, splice into it.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Haven't wired the fuel pump yet, afraid of it not working

No luck on fixing the dang turn signals and no dash swap yet due to some small engine mount delays. Dash lights do not work, nore do reverse lights

This car flys like the wind with this setup I have. Nothing really works atm though, too much fun with driving it.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
So makeing this work is a matter of just connecting the wires that are associated with the function? Will i be useing resistors or anything of the sort? I have a non supercharged 3800 out of a 1993 bonneville and im going to put it into my 1986 Fiero SE this winter and am trynig to learn as much as I can! Does anyone have electrical schematics for the bonny by any chance? Any help would be greatly aprieciated!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
here is the wiring diag. compliments of darth's site.

http://home.att.net/~madmax350/downloads/92_Bonneville_3800_PCM.zip

its obviously for a 92 but yours shouldnt be to different, heck its not much different from my 98 swap. And yes its wiring your swap is nothing more than getting power where it needs to be, and then hooking up a few gauges, then integrating a few small things relating to your transmission.

It is all very straight forward there are no tricks to getting anything to work outside of maybe the rare appearance of a passkey system, usually only associated with the northstars as just about every engine made by gm has a cracked PCM code that can be edited for a very small fee from alot of the people on the board.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
How do you guys do this? Do you use both ECM's.. Like piggy back the new engines ecm to the fiero's or use one or the other alone? I actually am not useing the 93 bonny 3800, it was to nice of a car to tear into lol. But i did find a 3800 out of a 1998 bonny. 67k miles, it was hit in the rear. I get absolutly everything under the hood, ecm, even the dash harness. The only problem i know im going to run into is the eletrical.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

The solid lines are wires that already exist on the stock harness/PCM plugs. These are all of the inputs from the motor into the PCM, and the outputs to the fuel injectors/other engine functions.

There are a few wires that run through the fusebox that are for the trans, but when you have everything else wired up, these are obvious as to where they go and where they came from.
Mr.Chipps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.ChippsSend a Private Message to Mr.ChippsDirect Link to This Post
What is the year engine that is being installed, and what is the year of the Fiero it is being installed in?

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero Coupe (Notchback) 2.5L L4 Automatic

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2006 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Its a 98 engine, 86 notchy
allsho80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for allsho80Send a Private Message to allsho80Direct Link to This Post
You all say it is so easy to marry these harnesses togeather. So, why is it no reliable person in the US does these?????? I have tried Chris West and that was hell, I don't even want to get started on him! A year and couple months later I was able to get it back UN-DONE. So, every one bragged about Loyde and all I got so far is promisses, still waiting.
If you can do one of these harnesses in 6 hrs (which you say 3 hrs and your over half way) at $700, that is a good profit. When I do the math less than 40 hrs a week ends up being $4200 a week. WHATS WRONG HERE! ........WE NEED SOMEONE TO START A BUSINESS DOING HARNESSES!

O..by the way, Loyde says it takes him 40 some hrs.

Thanks,
Very discouraged in Illinois
allsho80
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
LOL. yea, I automatically decided i have to do this myself. Mainly because I have no $$. Once i figure it out though.... Im going to gather harness's and make these in my spare time. Thats good money to be made.
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by allsho80:

You all say it is so easy to marry these harnesses togeather. So, why is it no reliable person in the US does these?????? I have tried Chris West and that was hell, I don't even want to get started on him! A year and couple months later I was able to get it back UN-DONE. So, every one bragged about Loyde and all I got so far is promisses, still waiting.
If you can do one of these harnesses in 6 hrs (which you say 3 hrs and your over half way) at $700, that is a good profit. When I do the math less than 40 hrs a week ends up being $4200 a week. WHATS WRONG HERE! ........WE NEED SOMEONE TO START A BUSINESS DOING HARNESSES!

Thanks,
Very discouraged in Illinois
allsho80

Took me a long time to do mine(first wire harness), If I had to make another, I would say it would take me 40 hours If I could get the right lenths of each sensor (inside the fiero engine compartment), I would start making a number of harnesses. Fiero and GTP harnesses is hard to get in florida as well. Im going to start collecting harneses if I can find them in yards in FL.
The wireharness can be a pain when first starting, But after learning and learning from mistakes, It becomes easy. Another thing about the wireharness for this swap is very boring work, I only spent 2hours a day on mine.
I believe PBJ makes them on ocassions for ppl, And his price is pretty good.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 10-10-2006).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

If you can do one of these harnesses in 6 hrs (which you say 3 hrs and your over half way) at $700, that is a good profit. ........WE NEED SOMEONE TO START A BUSINESS DOING HARNESSES!

I have not read the complete thread and apollogize if I am off topic or out of line.....but

Most people by now know I do them and have done over 20 fiero harnesses, but even at < $500.00 and some under $400.00 they are not coming through the door. It certainly does not take 40 hrs to build one either. But 6 hrs IMO is not enough. I budget 8-9 hrs to build one. It takes me no longer than 2 weeks to build and get it back to the post office.

Pete

------------------

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
It all depends on how fancy you want to get with what your doing, and the amount of cutting and resplicing you want to do. Honestly yes, it took me litterly a little over 6 hours do do this and I have never attempted anything like it before. I am going to try to get a better feel of doing my friends here, which I had his stripped, on the motor on his stand, and the c203/c500 locations mocked up in less than 2 hours, and most of the time was just messing around taping things up nice on the motor.

I also have a sorta unfair advantage though, as I have ALOT of quite expensive wiring type tools, along with a quite efficent soldering method/technique. The true advantage in doing it using my method is retaining all of the engine sensor connections, which limits the location of the PCM, but cuts the number of wires to solder by 1/4. For me it also retained a bit of peice of mind that I wasnt doing anything totally wrong.
allsho80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for allsho80Send a Private Message to allsho80Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

I have not read the complete thread and apollogize if I am off topic or out of line.....but

Most people by now know I do them and have done over 20 fiero harnesses, but even at < $500.00 and some under $400.00 they are not coming through the door. It certainly does not take 40 hrs to build one either. But 6 hrs IMO is not enough. I budget 8-9 hrs to build one. It takes me no longer than 2 weeks to build and get it back to the post office.

Pete

I would have to say, If you did a little advertising, you would have them flying through the door. That is if you are as fast and honest as you say! Im learning not to trust anyone in the Fiero World. You all said these two were the best but a year and a half (combined) I still just get promisses. Loyde and Chris say they are so far behind and this is why it takes so long.

But before long, if they keep doing business like they do, they wont have any!!!!!

All it would take is someone to do an honest and quicker job and you would be swamped. Over a year and 3 months on Chris West and 3 months and counting on Loyde. So, It will take prob. take about 2 yrs for a harness that is if I get it. Thats not even resonable!

Sorry for bi@#ching Im just discusted with it all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allsho80
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I would have to say, If you did a little advertising, you would have them flying through the door. That is if you are as fast and honest as you say! Im learning not to trust anyone in the Fiero World. You all said these two were the best but a year and a half (combined) I still just get promisses. Loyde and Chris say they are so far behind and this is why it takes so long.

But before long, if they keep doing business like they do, they wont have any!!!!!

All it would take is someone to do an honest and quicker job and you would be swamped. Over a year and 3 months on Chris West and 3 months and counting on Loyde. So, It will take prob. take about 2 yrs for a harness that is if I get it. Thats not even resonable!

Sorry for bi@#ching Im just discusted with it all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allsho80

I hate seeing posts like this, because I bet if you added up all the time you have spent running your harnesses back and forth to everyone, you could of finished it yourself. As earl said, you can just spend an hour a day on it before you go to bed and it will be done in a few weeks, for free!

I am available to give free phone support after 7pm most any day I am not busy.
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2006 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
interesting stuff, free Bump
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock