Spy Photos of 13" Viper/Vette Brake Package by Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH
Started on: 04-30-2006 10:36 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: fiero-iwan on 07-13-2006 11:41 AM
Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHSend a Private Message to Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

The following link will take you to a photo of a new brake package using 13" Viper Rotors and Corvette Calipers that is under development at West Coast Fiero: http://www.fieroswest.org/Page2.html

Also, if you are in the area please attend the FierosWest Barbeque on Saturday, May 13, 2006; details are here: www.fieroswest.org

Regards,

David
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting. My question is why not use the Viper brakes with the rotor?
Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHSend a Private Message to Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHDirect Link to This Post
Good Question!

The answer is best given by West Coast Fiero, but one reason is to keep the Emaegecy Brake operational. Another is to keep the cost down.

Regards,

David
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHSend a Private Message to Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHDirect Link to This Post
!3" rotors have been around for a while, but most (I think) used the very heavy Corvette rotors. The Viper rotors are thinner and much lighter.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH:

!3" rotors have been around for a while, but most (I think) used the very heavy Corvette rotors. The Viper rotors are thinner and much lighter.

By how much is the weight difference?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
By how much is the weight difference?

More importantly, how much is the COST diffrence. saving 5lbs isnt worth $50 a rotor price increase to me. Dunno what the prices really are, but im assuming with the smaller market and higher base price, viper rotors would fetch a little more
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested to see what the difference in moment of inertia is. That center hub looks pretty big.

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post

There is only one problem...heavy and thick rotors are better for braking performance.

Being thick, they have better venting and can dissapate heat better than thinner rotors. They also are less prone to warping.

If they are heavier, they have better thermal capacity. That means the increased mass makes it so they can take more braking before they reach the fade temperature of the pads.

This is just like the Grand Am upgrade for 84-87 Fieros. It does not increase stopping power (same diameter), but it increases cooling and thermal capacity, so they take longer to fade.

The only upside I see to this upgrade is slightly improved accelleration and handling due to reduced rotating and unsprung mass. You might as well just do the 12" upgrade if you don't think you want the corvette 13"ers.

Finally, if you are using the Corvette calipers made for the much thicker Corvette rotors, will they work reliably on thinner rotors? There is a minimum thickness on rotors for a very good reason; caliper SAFETY and RELIABILITY.

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

[This message has been edited by Bigfieroman (edited 05-02-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Correct... larger rotors don't automatically equal shorter stopping distances... stopping distance is more of a function of brake pad material, piston pressure, hydraulic line pressure, and tire grip. Larger/Thicker rotors tend to be mostly needed for road racing, where temp control and brake fade are of great concern. Something that is almost never a concern for normal (or even aggressive) street use. Many magazine tests actually show longer braking distances with larger performance rotors (probably due largely to increased unsprung weight), but signifigant gains in temp control after heavy use. (SCC Magazine has been doing a few real-world articles relating to this topic lately).

That being said... the Fiero definitely shows dramatic improvement with even small (Grand Am) Brake upgrades. But I think once you get over about 11" diameter (LeBaron Brakes), you're really just getting the visual appearance more than the performance gain. At some point you can take into consideration increased thermal control vs. increased unsprung weight (which can have huge negative effects on handling).

13" rotors have been around for a while, but most (I think) used the very heavy Corvette rotors. The Viper rotors are thinner and much lighter.

Do you have specs for both - for comparison?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-02-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
PASS!
Live and learn

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 05-02-2006).]

Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHSend a Private Message to Durkin87Turbo3.4 DOHDirect Link to This Post
I will get the weight data and some comparative sizing photos from both angles; we weighed the 12" Vette rotors, 13" Vette rotors and the 13" Viper rotors. I cannot rember the exact numbers at the moment, so rather than give out bad info, I will wait.

The Viper rotors were a bit heavier than the 12" Corvette, but much lighter than the 13" Corvette. The calipers are the standard Corvette Gen 4 models. Put another way they have more mass than the 12' vette, but far less than the 13" Vette (which I think is overkill); nice compromise I think!

In any event they are sufficient to stop a much heavier Viper, so my guess is that they will be just fine on a lighter fiero.

Regards,

David
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

I will get the weight data and some comparative sizing photos from both angles; we weighed the 12" Vette rotors, 13" Vette rotors and the 13" Viper rotors. I cannot rember the exact numbers at the moment, so rather than give out bad info, I will wait.

The Viper rotors were a bit heavier than the 12" Corvette, but much lighter than the 13" Corvette. The calipers are the standard Corvette Gen 4 models. Put another way they have more mass than the 12' vette, but far less than the 13" Vette (which I think is overkill); nice compromise I think!

In any event they are sufficient to stop a much heavier Viper, so my guess is that they will be just fine on a lighter fiero.

David - I definitely look forward to seeing your details!

BTW: The viper is only about 3400lbs... so it's not hugely heavier...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

David

Hehe.

I may have to pay WCF a visit?

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
88 Fiero rotor: 10.5 lbs
11.25" (?) LeBaron rotor: 13.9 lbs
12" Corvette rotor: 13.9 lbs
13" Dodge Viper rotor: 16 lbs

Note this is just from memory.. I do know the LeBaron and 12" Vette rotors weigh exactly the same amount, and the 88 rotor is indeed 10.5, but I'm not positive on the absolute weights of the 12" vette and 13" viper rotors. The Viper rotor is only a few lbs heavier (2 or 2.5) than the 12" Vette rotor.

Anyone know how much the 13" Corvette rotor weighs?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
These would be nice ones to adapt.

For the ultimate in stopping power choose the FPV Premium brake package, which consists of 355mm x 32mm (14" x 1 1/4") cross drilled and slotted front rotors with Brembo 6 piston calipers and 330mm x 28mm (13" x 1 1/16") cross cross drilled rear rotors with Brembo 4 piston calipers. Standard on GT-P and optional on F6 Typhoon and GT.

RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:Anyone know how much the 13" Corvette rotor weighs?

C5 Vette 13"x1.25" rotor weighs ~18-19lbs (Autozone replacement rotor, weighed with bathroom scale)
C4 Vette 13" rotors weigh ?????? (think they are thinner, maybe 1.1"?).
4th Gen F-body 12"x1.25" rotor weighs ~16lbs.

Marty
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

For the ultimate in stopping power choose the FPV Premium brake package, which consists of 355mm x 32mm (14" x 1 1/4") cross drilled and slotted front rotors with Brembo 6 piston calipers and 330mm x 28mm (13" x 1 1/16") cross cross drilled rear rotors with Brembo 4 piston calipers. Standard on GT-P and optional on F6 Typhoon and GT.

If you had the tires to take advantage of those you'd probably break the Fiero knuckles
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Any more info on these? I'm interested for sure!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock