The Mutt becomes a Chop Top by F355spider
Started on: 08-25-2005 08:45 PM
Replies: 328
Last post by: F355spider on 09-28-2006 10:53 AM
Custom88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom88Send a Private Message to Custom88Direct Link to This Post
Putting the windows in trashbags and spraying that greatstuff foam around them would do a lot better job than that. I don't see any protection where the edges of the glass would be. except the thin plastic. Great thread by the way. Love the pics. you make it look possible for the DIY crowd to not have to pay for work they could do. And mad props on the Glass idea. Let's hope the glass company gets the idea to pack the glass better. maybe we could do a step by step thread with pictures on how to properly pack glass. Anyway way to go on the chop top it looks awesome. How tall is the entire car?

Clay

IP: Logged
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Yes I cannot believe they shipped them like that but I can say most people don’t care and just want to get it out the door. Who knows the person that shipped them might have not even known. They assure me the next ones will not be boxed that way but it is on their dime now so they should take more care in shipping them.

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Could you post some pictures of your 355?

Thanks!
JG

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by THE BEAST:

Could you post some pictures of your 355?

Thanks!
JG

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, did you made your own tail lights?

Thanks!
JG

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Very cool, did you made your own tail lights?

Thanks!
JG

No, all lights are OEM Ferrari except front turn signals (Toyota) and head lights (Saturn)

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Man I had a set of those and sold them to a guy in Hawaii for like $300 what a dum a$$

I was looking at the new Lotus cars and their tail lights look very close to the ones in the Ferraris.

JG

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Man I had a set of those and sold them to a guy in Hawaii for like $300 what a dum a$$

I was looking at the new Lotus cars and their tail lights look very close to the ones in the Ferraris.

JG

If you sold an OEM set of 355 taillights for 300 bucks I agree with you. That was a set for less than the cost of one. A lot of people use the corvette taillights and some are using big truck trailer ones but they are flat and the real ones are the only way to go.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
New glass is in and looks good I do not have time to install today maybe tomorrow.

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

New glass is in and looks good I do not have time to install today maybe tomorrow.

Whoa, those look nice Mike, can't wait to see them in!

--Will

gofast250

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gofast250Send a Private Message to gofast250Direct Link to This Post
What did a set of custom side glass windows for your chop top come too
PFF
System Bot
markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
Sweet glass this was the reason i haven't done a chop top yet. Let me know when and how i can get a set.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

SWEETNESS!!

That glass is bound to fit at least one of my choptops. I need to get to making a set of these for my car.

ShueGlue737

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShueGlue737Send a Private Message to ShueGlue737Direct Link to This Post
yeah how much were the windows, and where do i call to get them?

justin

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShueGlue737:

yeah how much were the windows, and where do i call to get them?

justin

After I get these sorted out I plan on getting a group buy on them. I have a lot tied up in these windows several months of even trying to find a company to make them begging and pleading them to help me. 1200 bucks for them to make the tooling and cad design then there is shipping and I am still not finished these do not fit to my taste so I'm going to try to get them to fit better but I talked to the Manufacturer today and they are not happy I might have to pay another 1200 bucks to get them to make the changes. As far as just making a phone call to get them that is not going to happen you will have to get in on my group buy or spend thousands of dollars and months of research to get them as I did.
This is what the window looks like after install. I can push on it and get it to go over so if I have to I can make these work but I wish to not have to make a lot of adjustment so they will be better for every one else to make them fit. They are a little tall for my car but I can lower the stop the length is perfect and the curve is good the front bottom is perfect but the radius on the back bolt (tab) is not bent enough. This is were they said they had the hard time getting to work but they need to have it bend more and they do not want to do this but I'm begging them. The problem is I thought there would be a big interest in these windows and have promised them a big order after I get them to work. I am puzzled how no one has went to the trouble to put out any effort to make a template to see if they would fit their car. I guess I will have to buy more than I need and start chopping Fieros and selling them or start Chopping Fieros for others that want theirs chopped. I do have a few people wanting them but not enough to get the group buy done for the company to make a full order. I am trying make this come together but not getting much help kind of disappointing in a way. I figure if I have to buy a lot of the windows I can offer a special chop top price to make up for having to buy a lot of windows.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
i haven't cut my top yet i'm going to do it after i get a set of windows. I'll be the first one to commit to a group buy set. please keep me updated
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
that looks great. i'm might have to let you chop my dohc car.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Just a thought: try removing the two bolts that hold the bottom of the aft up/down track in place, and begin shimming the bottom out, towards the door skin side. Go carefully, in 1/4" increments. It may compensate for the lack of curve you mentioned, as well as cause a tighter fit with the gasket when closed.

David Breeze

el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Direct Link to This Post
I'll probably buy a set of windows, then I will chop my fiero to match them.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I vented a little yesterday. I was just hopping for a perfect fit. I am hoping they will redo the windows but looks like they went as far as they could with the technology they have to put more radius in the class would require more expensive stuff. I do not understand but I'm still begging them. With lack of interest on this I might just make mine fit buy adjusting the tracks. I loosened the bolts in the track yesterday and could move the window back and forth two inches. I know there are a few people that really want the windows but it will take a much larger response to get this done or every one will be spending 300 to 400 dollars a window instead of 100 to 200 dollars.
Tom, I could chop the DOHC car for you. I have a few requests in front of you but if I decide too just buy the bulk of the windows I will probly just chop till I run out of windows. LOL
I was told about a Fiero that someone tried to make a Targa out of and gave up. I might buy it and brace it like I did my convertible put a set of my windows in it and sell it. It is an 87 Duke Auto but the body is perfect. I hate to see it go to the crusher.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Well I never knew that there was so much room to play with these windows in a Fiero. I took some pictures of all the adjustment areas they have and I got my window to fit perfect I'm happy with it and I made it to fit the old weather stripping new would probably be easier. Enjoy and now I have to do the drivers side. I'm happy, looks like I get to drive a Fiero to work next week and not get wet if it rains. You can move them back and forth over two inches and up and down even side to side about an inch. I even noticed that the felt pushers are bolt in and adjustable with almost an inch back and forth play.

OOPS wrong picture O well

[This message has been edited by F355spider (edited 11-04-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Oh Well I'm tired of looking at windows nice pic.
Thanks Gary
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
Some of the adjustment places

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

I had to modify that one
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
And now the final fit and ready to put the door skin back on. Did I say I'm happy?

Looking out from inside
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

OOPS wrong picture O well

That's okay. In fact, it's okay to screw up EVERY time you post pics...

just an idea anyway

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Now if he could only chop her top. That would be worth seeing.
Midshipman Easy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midshipman EasySend a Private Message to Midshipman EasyDirect Link to This Post
Congrats ! Truly a watermark day!

Ken

P.s. By the way Im interested in two sets as well.. I PM you.

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GKDINC:

Now if he could only chop her top. That would be worth seeing.

Like this

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
I had a Friend come over today and help me work on the Mutt. We tweaked the windows some more and made some new bump stops for the bottom door I also got a picture of what I had to cut on the door to make the windows flop over more. The new ones will hopefully have more curve at the bottom to stop from having to cut some mettle. The windows are to tall for my car so I had to move my bump stops down all the way and drill a new hole in the track to lower the window some. It was worth it looks awesome.
O yea we put the hood on it also. Now if I just had a set of them sweet rocker that Ausi Fiero sells I would be set.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Those look great!!

I can't explain the lack of interest as I owe you a template but haven't made one yet myself. When it comes to buying anything you will get a lot of initial interest but 90% of people won't follow through. I discovered pretty quickly that getting custom side glass was not as easy as just picking up the phone and making a call, but when the time comes you will be the first one I come to for advice.

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
Well Stu came over again today and we finished the windows and put the door panels and mirrors back on the car. It is done and I get to drive it tomorrow. I will try to get some good pictures tomorrow. And I will call the glass manufacturer next week and see if they will do the changes to make them work without the mods I had to do. It looks like I will still have a good order to make so the few that bailed will not make that much of a difference Not a good picture but one with the hood on. I also have a video that Stu made with his phone that shows the windows up and closing the door and the good fit against the seals but I do not know how to post it.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Congratulations !! Those look awesome ! I am still amazed at how you were able to make them fit after viewing the first pictures with them in.

Geeez you were right there sure is a lot of play !

Does the window still go up and down properly ??

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

I see that you took a good chunk out of the side impact beam. Did you take more out of the other end of it?

And how does cutting up the side impact beam balance out with your earlier statements......

I like for things to be like factory

or even this quote......?

......I hate to half A$$ things .....

Maybe Ill-fitting glass windows are more important than the side impact beams.

Archie <~~~~~ that other guy

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Maybe Ill-fitting glass windows are more important than the side impact beams.

Archie <~~~~~ that other guy

I knew it was only time till a certain somone came into this Thread and made his remarks. Seems like everytime someone tries to improve on something he has already done and make it better, he takes offence to it. I would hate to be that way and not be able to complement ppl on there work, even if it did improve on something I had already did. But besides that, looks good and I need to make my way out there sometime to look at both the chop and the 355 now that its complete.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

I see that you took a good chunk out of the side impact beam. Did you take more out of the other end of it?

Ahem,
Sounds like you'll have to pop the door panels off one more time, so you can "fishplate" a strap of steel over that cutout in the side impact beam.

No big problem, if they can do that to the chassis mainframe in order to fit in an LT1, I'd assume you can do it to the side impact beam.

BTW, looks great, good work !

David Breeze

[This message has been edited by opm2000 (edited 11-07-2005).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I knew it was only time till a certain somone came into this Thread and made his remarks. .

All I asked was how some of the things he said when he was trying to put me down jibed with what he's currently doing.

Nothing more, nothing less, just a simple question.

Archie

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

All I asked was how some of the things he said when he was trying to put me down jibed with what he's currently doing.

Nothing more, nothing less, just a simple question.

Archie

No Archie you are just proving to every one else what I have been telling them. Every one knows that the windows were not curved enough and they know I'm trying to get them made so this cut out will not have to happen as far as what I cut out any one can see the impact beam is still their and I would bet notching the way I did will not matter one bit. Did I want to do it NO but I wanted to drive my car and not get wet so I made these windows work and yes they roll up and down and they seal at the top at least as well as you could expect buy using old weather-stripping. The fact is I did what you could not do and I showed every one it could be done and showed every one that were there is a will there is a way and it pisses you off because of the way you are. I do hope you continue to post like that on my thread it does not bother me, just the opposite it lets everyone else know how big of an A$$ hole you really are. Thanks, Archie you just made my day I will have a smile on my face all week.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I need to make my way out there sometime to look at both the chop and the 355 now that its complete.

I still want to have a little get together and a ride together out here soon just trying to get things together. But come on out any time. I wish Jscott, Tom and Will could have their cars back or running so we can get them here too along with any one else that wants to come.

2.8-4spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.8-4spdSend a Private Message to 2.8-4spdDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job F355, nice to see somebody on the forum say they are going to get something made and follow through. For your first Fiero chop I think it is turning out great, Iam sure from seeing your previous work you will get all the kinks worked out if there are any.

Forrest

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock