Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Project 3.4 DOHC starts....! *PICS* (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Project 3.4 DOHC starts....! *PICS* by fieromadman
Started on: 06-16-2004 11:03 AM
Replies: 80
Last post by: fieromadman on 02-28-2005 12:47 AM
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post

Here is the engine in there with the dogbone installed. Im pretty sure that at this point I was driving around the car allready with no exhaust still.

Here is the car ready to be driven but with no exhaust on it.

Here is a good shot of the car at the show in Iowa with me standing next to it.

Here is a picture of the engine bay with the idler air cleaner cover, battery box dog bone and the wiring all done. This was at the show in Iowa.

This is just another overall shot of the car at the Iowa show, all done.

Thats it for now, i have about 5 more pictures to scan in of the build but other than that most of the details are there.

I'd be happy to answer any ?'s that you people might have on the swap!

Thanks!
Jeff

------------------
REMEMBER: If you cant win the race you loose the argument!!

3.4 DOHC Motor Swap-14.7 in the 1/4 mile with no hook-up, crumby exhaust and automatic chip.
Better exhaust, chip, cam retarding, and driver to come... I'm feeling lucky!
www.geocities.com/j_depies

IP: Logged
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
was it worth it?
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
How does it feel compared to your 2.8?

Did you use your evap canister? I was thinking about removing mine as well.

Any kill stories yet?

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 09-01-2004).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I removed the vapor canister and all of that system. Plugged the line comming from the tank and removed all of the lines.

I think that it was worth it 100%. The car isnt even running 100% yet, so that says something! lol.

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post

fieromadman

2217 posts
Member since Jan 2003
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044934.html

See that thread for driving impressions of this car!

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
oh, crzyone you asked about kill stories, i got a few for you. First one innvolves a 98 integra GSR with headers and intake. I was actually at the strip with him, kicked his ass by a full second. Another one innvolves a GTi VR6 of the same vintage. it had a body kit and everything. He came into my work and i asked him if he wanted to run them. he said what do you have and i pointed to it. He's like i dunno. He asked what i said. I said rim lowering springs intake and exhaust, stock motor (hey it is a stock motor, just not stock for my car). So we go to a decent spot around here and my friend flags us. I dumped it at 4500 RPM so i was spinning all of the way through 1st and still kept ahead of him. By the time i was in second there wasnt a chance. Another story, although not really a kill i guess its worth telling. I was at a show in Iowa and my friend was driving, and we pull up next to a corvette (late 70's vintage i believe) at a light. Both of us go for it and we were right next to him the whole way. My friend hit rev limiter 2 times in first, and shifted 1000 rpm short of my 6500 rpm redline too. My guess is that we woulda handed it to him if he woulda gotten his shifts down.

I think theres a few more kills that i've had but those are the worthy ones..

Exotic Rida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
User Banned

Report this Post08-24-2004 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exotic RidaSend a Private Message to Exotic RidaDirect Link to This Post
cool.................

i cant wait until mine is done!!!!!!

ive got 3 races up a v8 thunderbird, a 2000 civic si(not even a race) and a 90 mustang gt

reading that post gives me hope

btw did you get my pm???

[This message has been edited by Exotic Rida (edited 08-24-2004).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

I'd be happy to answer any ?'s that you people might have on the swap!

Thanks!
Jeff

My question is; when do i bring the formula over for the swap?

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
NEVER DAVE NEVER!!!
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

I said rim lowering springs intake and exhaust, stock motor (hey it is a stock motor, just not stock for my car).

hey that was my idea too lol

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

86GT3.4DOHC

10007 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

My question is; when do i bring the formula over for the swap?

Tell ya what, I wish I had more room, Id start lining you guys up for swaps. But unfortunately we are selling the house Id love to put some more of these things on the road..... Of course Id love to put MINE on the road first

PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Tell ya what, I wish I had more room, Id start lining you guys up for swaps. But unfortunately we are selling the house Id love to put some more of these things on the road..... Of course Id love to put MINE on the road first

Don't move! lol
I'm really liking this and i'll have to have it done by someone because my car sits outside in the open. Used to have a tree over it but that's gone now too. :O/

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I have a feeling if you had read my build thread, you'd be less enthused, ya know, the fire and all.... lol
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

I have a feeling if you had read my build thread, you'd be less enthused, ya know, the fire and all.... lol

I have been reading it this week actually. I figure your car was the practice car and mine would be perfect. lol

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
and heres dave again sucking up to another experianced swapee.. god, just leave us alone allready !

I keep amazing myself with this car day after day, today it was tons of doughnuts and burnouts. I start school thursday, thats a bummer, i guess i'll have to show off my car to that whole school! lol, im not serious btw, im not a person that likes to show off. ask dave, i dont get excited about anything...

So anyhow, a bump for anyone interested, i should have the rest of those pics soon, along with some pics of the car when i first got it lowered that i never posted, thier all good pics, the only exterior difference that you'll see is the exhaust.

------------------

3.4 DOHC Motor Swap-14.7 in the 1/4 mile with no hook-up, crumby exhaust and automatic chip.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Have a few questions for you.

Since you basically used the stock fiero mounts, you said you had to move the engine over, did it have to go towards the drivers side? Mine comes very close to the passenger strut tower.

And What did you use for your cooling lines? Still havn't looked at what I need yet.

Man, I see your start date, you must have been working like crazy on that thing to get it done as fast as you did. Mine should be running by the end of september, hopefully

Thanks!

------------------

Buy a fiero, become a mechanic

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
yeah, im a student with a part time job so i had just about every day to work on it, plus i had a helper, my friend chris on the very first picture in this thread.

I used WCF fiero mounts and i didnt move them over actually. For my dogbone i thought that i would have had to. I needed to cut out a little piece of metal where the strut tower has the brace for the dogbone so that the cam cover would fit. I suspect that you will need to do that as well.

For coolent on the passenger side i used a stock coolent tube for the fiero but cut it down a little so that it wouldnt rub on the a/c compressor. The heater line on that side i cut off the stock tube a little bit short flared the end and purchased some heater line from ace hardware and clamped it on and then onto the waterpump too. For drivers side i cut the feed for the heater way short like so that the stock metal tube was still under the car, flared it and clamped on a rubber tube. then on the engine the little hardline swivel i took off (you just have to depress the plastic tabs and pull it out) and then i cut it short and flared it as well. Then i clamped on the other end of the rubber tube. For the coolent on the drivers side i purchased a gates rubber hose with metal springy type stuff in it so that its flexible and doesnt kink and put that on. It was either 35 or 36 inches long.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Jeff

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Helps alot buddy, thanks.

Yeah, I've already cut the dogbone brace, only way the motor would come up all the way. Looks like I may have to cut it right off.

Thanks again, may have a few more questions for you as I go

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
i didnt need to cut it all of the way off, why are you thinking that you'll need to do that, just out of curiosity? For a dogbone, mine works pretty well and if you want i could have another on made up for about 50 dollars i think. Let me know if you got any other questions!

Jeff

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
bump so i remeber to post the rest of the pictures tomorrow
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
well i finally got 3 more pictures, i think that there is a few more that i have

Anyhow, here is me and my friends (well actually only one working as you can see..) working on the engine while it was out.

As you can see we installed poly cradle bushings and control arm bushings and engine mounts (not installed yet) and what were actually doing in these pictures, as simple as it sounds is changing the oil.

You can notice in this picture especially how outragously larger the 3.4 DOHC is than the 2.8 in physical size. It weighs a bit more too (never actually measured, but by feel it seems to be), even though most of it is aluminum.

and in this pic theres my friends laughing it up as i try and bolt up something or another

Thats it for now...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2004 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
bump
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
From removal of the 2.8, to the car actually moving under it's own power with the 3.4, how many days did this take?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
well on 6-29 i posted that the fiero wasnt torn into yet, and on 7-20 i posted that the 3.4 was in and ready to be started but there was a starting problem. I guess that it doesnt take too long once you get it to the point where you have a plan and all fo the parts. I would say that i had it running and drive able in about 3 weeks. Remeber, i had some trouble with the anti-theft that i had to take care of too. Also im a teenager that was off of school working with a helper almost every day of the week.

It should take the average man about 2 months to complete this portion. This once again prooves that i am much greater than the average man!

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
K, got another question for you. The insulated heater pipe that runs under the car is the heater core feed right? And the 3.4 heater feed comes from the tb side right? I guess I can cut the insulated passenger side heater return and plumb it into the water pump.

my swap is done, just need a wiring harness, should take me a few days just to get that installed considering I know few of the sensors names Should have it back hopefully less than 2 weeks.

I have my exhaust all bought, just need to take the whole car to a muffler shop and have it welded and hung.

Does the wcf engine mount look like Ltlfrari's? I'm using a stock front engine mount and a dog bone. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the engine steady.

Thanks!

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I really dont follow you on the heater core, but i do know that the heater core lines dont matter what way they are installed. That said, i think that they are the same as the 2.8 so return and supply lines are esentially ran to the right sides. I cut the one that goes to the TB side short and ran a soft line all of the way to it. If you look up in the thread i have posted several times about the heater lines.

The WCF mounts are only the mounts that go on the cradle. The upper mounts that WCF sell are not intended to work with this motor. I had a custom mount made up for it, so i dont know what you exactly need, but it shouldnt be too difficult to come up with something.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I also replaced the tb line with a new heater hose and cut the bypass line alittle short and fitted it with a rubber hose. I made sure to leave the steel line above the exhaust manifold though.

Only reason I call one of the lines the heater core the supply line is only one of them is insulated all the way to the heater core. I suppose this one should be the supply line so the glycol doesn't cool off much before it gets to the core.

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i never thought about that, i checked mine and suprisingly i have them hooked up right.
jagray

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jagraySend a Private Message to jagrayDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I've allways loved your car, do you got a link to a high res photo of it?

Anyways, I'm going to do the 3400 swap, I've allways wanted to but never could find an engine worth my time till now. A 0 mile crate engine with all sorts of goodies for 1000 bucks! But what is absolutely nessecary for the swap, that the fiero does not provide? Can the 2.8 ECU run the 3.4? things like that. I love your write up, it helped out alot, I just wanna make sure to get anything that I dont have.

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jagray:

Hey, I've allways loved your car, do you got a link to a high res photo of it?

Anyways, I'm going to do the 3400 swap, I've allways wanted to but never could find an engine worth my time till now. A 0 mile crate engine with all sorts of goodies for 1000 bucks! But what is absolutely nessecary for the swap, that the fiero does not provide? Can the 2.8 ECU run the 3.4? things like that. I love your write up, it helped out alot, I just wanna make sure to get anything that I dont have.

You're doing the 3400 swap or the 3.4 TDC like Jeff did? Big differnce between the two.

jagray

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jagraySend a Private Message to jagrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

You're doing the 3400 swap or the 3.4 TDC like Jeff did? Big differnce between the two.

Sorry, 3.4L DOHC. Didn't mean to confuse.

PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
well, to answer your questions, no the 2.8 computer cannot support the 3.4 DOHC. In fact you will need to do some wiring to take care of that. Maybe you can convince someone to do it for you but im not 100% sure who does them. You will need to come up with something for fuel lines, everyone does them a little bit different. Coolent lines you will need to come up with as well, i have explained them many times in my thread. The mounts bolt up with minor modifications. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!
Jeff

------------------

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Got another ?

How did you do your throttle cable? Looks like the fiero V-6 cable will work fine but the wire is too long, and it has a different end, how did you work that out?

Thanks!

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I used a stock 88 4cyl cable, just cut it off after the first knobby thingy
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
i used the v-6 one just secured it to the t-body a little differently, i can provide pics if you want.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Hey, a picture would be great. I was looking at it and was thinking I could loop it around alittle farther, drill a hole and put a screw into the throttle braket. Would just need to loop the V-6 end over the screw but I'd like to see how you did it. Nore sure if my way would hold up.

Thanks!

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2004 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
thats sounding alot like the way that i did it. Joshua Riedl doesnt like the way that i did it but you know what, its held up jsut fine and there is no slack to be found yet. I'll see what i can do about getting pictures for you.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2004 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by joshua riedl (edited 04-09-2005).]

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
hey josh, i was just kidding buddy. Yeah, i dont really like mine that great but it works. I still have been too lazy to get some pics for you, but i think that you have the same idea that i do. I was thinking about my 1/4 mile times today and thought that if i could trim a little off of my 60' time and get my chip with the raised rev limiter plus made sure that i didnt have a passenger full tank of gas and a weighted down car i think i could run about a 14 flat. At least that is my hope. Then with the exhaust being re-done and my ported intake put on i could do even better hopefully. My goal for this engine is 300 horsepower without sacrificing low end for peak power. Hopefully that will be accomplished and then some by adding even more low end power.

------------------

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
bump for a friend
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock