Started on: 10-01-2004 12:18 AM
Replies: 113
Last post by: The Adjuster on 12-13-2004 10:59 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
The new pump w/ install kit showed up today so it looks like this car might be done yet this week!
IP: Logged
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
impressive work as always.. you really do need to move closer so you can have a look at mine
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
That's looking awesome dude. As I said - wish I could do one those too! 3.4 first, then 3800 later down the road, oh yeah! Another kick ass thread - I must now put aside my n00b like ways and figure out this + rating system so I can give you one. Thanks for showing us how it's done, and keep up the good work.

------------------
Chris

Blue 1987 GT Getrag 5 speed, 1" lowering springs, 225 50R16 rims and tires, Fiero Store 9 3/4" HD clutch
SIlver 1986 2m4 THM 125c automatic
Black 1985 2m4 SE Isuzu 5 speed (no paperwork)

Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Blue Shift

867 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Oops, still in n00b mode anyways - I haven't made the prerequisite 30 posts yet... + for you later when I can actually do it!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the car on the road today but the alternator failed less than 1 mile out of the driveway. It looks like a brand new unit so I am assuming it is going to be covered under warranty. The question is do we want to put another one of the same brand and model on this engine and chance it? I will leave that up to the customer.
The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2004 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Nothing ever goes smoothly does it?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Got a replacement autozone alternator and installed it. There were some PCM issues but Loyde at FastFieros is taking care of it and this car should be ready to go back to the customer sometime this week.

I think this should be a lesson to everyone doing a swap, or having a swap done. Nothing ever goes as planned. There will always be unforeseen problems or events that will set back the finish date. In the case of this car, I came down with a bad cold that resulted in a 1 week setback and we had combined mechanical/electrical and vendor supply issues that collectively set back this project another week.

For example, the owner of this car had already purchased the "new" alternator off the internet months before I started this project. When I first started the engine the alternator worked but after I got the car on the road it failed. I took the alternator to Zone and had them test it and the first min or so it was on their tester we could only get 3 volts out of it. We wiggled around the wires at the voltage regulator connector and it started working but put out 15 volts. So it is obvious this unit has a bad regulator but who would have known. There is nothing the owner/customer could have done it was a defective part. Just like the fiasco with the fuel pump its not anybody's fault except the vendor's for mispackaging it. But all of these issues stack up in the end and push back the finish date.

Just a word to the wise I think it is a bad idea to "plan" a swap to be done in a weekend or in a set, short period of time unless you have backup parts on the shelf. There is just no telling what is going to work or not work until you take the swap on its first test drive.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
This project has suffered yet another setback. Upon the inital test drive I got a P1811 trouble code which is Maximum Adaptive Long Shift. Basically this code shows up if the shifts are taking longer than what the computer can compensate for. I cleared the code out and it did not come back for some time. However, the more I drive it now the code comes back almost every drive cycle and comes back more frequently. I did some testing like trans line pressure and my MAX pressures are fine but idle pressures are a little low. I consulted my trans builder and he suggest the problem could most likely be in the programming (he is running a L67/4T65-E HD in his 96 GTP using a 98 GTP computer and had a similar problem), but he also said it could be a defective part in the trans or the whole trans needs to be rebuilt. I talked to Loyde at FastFieros about this and he told me to ship this computer back to him because he has a car sitting in his shop right now he can try this PCM out on and see if it works on that vehicle.

In any event this car is not yet completely finished.

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Darth, what is the soonest you can have the new PCM tested you are getting Wednesday? If you can get with me by 400PM central, I can have a 09361735 / 09357440 PCM in the mail so you will have it Friday.

As we have discussed, the PCM your customer provided is a 2003 PCM with 99 code going in it, on a 99 wiring configuration. I have never done that, and I have not ever programmed that for someone else before in that configuration. I am hoping that the PCM I am getting back will cause the same problems for the car I have here today. That will rule out your transmission having a possible issue.

Lets get this nailed down...

Loyde

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

Darth, what is the soonest you can have the new PCM tested you are getting Wednesday? If you can get with me by 400PM central, I can have a 09361735 / 09357440 PCM in the mail so you will have it Friday.

As we have discussed, the PCM your customer provided is a 2003 PCM with 99 code going in it, on a 99 wiring configuration. I have never done that, and I have not ever programmed that for someone else before in that configuration. I am hoping that the PCM I am getting back will cause the same problems for the car I have here today. That will rule out your transmission having a possible issue.

Lets get this nailed down...

Loyde

I can have the new PCM tested as soon as it shows up on the doorstep. I too am hoping this is just a weird PCM problem and not a tranny problem. I appreciate you working with me to resolve this issue.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
New PCM showed up today and I put it in. Right off the bat shift firmness was better and no appearant slip. Drove the car 30 miles then parked it for about 2 hours to cool down. After the cool-down I went on another test drive to the parts store and noticed the shifts were not quite as crisp as they once were. Leaving the parts store the P1811 trans code showed up as soon as the trans shifted into 3rd gear.

So at this point it is still not difinitive what is the cause of the problem. The initial test drive seems to point to PCM issue but the problem came back during the second drive cycle. The original PCM is on its way back to Loyde and he is going to try it out in one of his cars and see if he can duplicate the problem.

What has me troubled though is some of the readings I am getting from the scan tool. Pertaining to the P1811 code there is two data entries: Curr Adapt Cel and Curr Adapt Mem. Curr Adapt Cel is usually at 0 when driving but during the shifts it will go up, most of the time only to 30 or 40 but right before the P1811 set I saw 120-130. What bothers me is Curr Adapt Mem is always stuck on -15. When I first put this new PCM in it was at -16 and I saw it move to -14 and -15 the first couple of miles I drove it. After a while it got stuck on -15 again. I know this number has something to do with the Adaptive Shift parameters in the PCM, but I am troubled as to why it never moves. I really wish I had another 99-up GTP PCM equipped car at my disposal so I could hook the scan tool up and see what these numbers are doing on a different car because I can't find any info about what "Curr Adapt Mem" means and if -15 is taking away pressure or adding it.

PFF
System Bot
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
11:15pm... Loyde grabs Tech II and goes to customer car in driveway.

The 99 PCM on a 99 wiring, with a 2002 powertrain L67..

Adaptive shift = NO in all areas of the display. Confirms that the 97-03 do not have AI for adaptive shifting ...

However, TAP is different and it is not TAP shift like on the 04 transmissions.

Transmission Adaptive Pressure = TAP on 97-03 inside the PCM code.

OK, here are the pages from the service manual on this subject..

Now, we have the terms and what the Tech II display should read per the manual.

Adaptive Shift = No

I went for a drive just now also. The Tech II displays

Current TAP Memory = -16
How it worked while driving.... While going normal type cruising, it stayed at -16... Light throttle while be heavy footed it went to -15 . ... Floor it hard and it went to -9 most of the time, the smallest number i saw was -4 .

Adaptable Shift never changed from = NO

Most all shifts were .053

Cell 4,5,6,7 had data in them... I never got data in 8-16, but I didnt drive very far either. I forgot to see if the numbers stayed when the key switch was cycled. I will check that in the morning.

HTH....

Loyde

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Current TAP Memory = -16
How it worked while driving.... While going normal type cruising, it stayed at -16... Light throttle while be heavy footed it went to -15 . ... Floor it hard and it went to -9 most of the time, the smallest number i saw was -4 .

Loyde

According to the info your manual provided, it appears your TAP memory is the same data my scan tool calls Curr Adapt Mem.

As I said before, my Current Adapt Memory is almost always stuck on -15, even at WOT, it never moves. I see that yours moves as high as "-4". According to your info that means these PCMs I have tried are always pulling 15psi OUT of the base line pressure no matter what throttle position or shift time is. Guess our only option at this point is to wait until you get the PCM I sent you and have you try it out and see what your scan tool tells you.

dizmon_85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Picked up the car last night and drove it for the first time. Unfortunately it was raining. The car sounds sweet, very deep growl, a little louder then expected but sounds mean. I was able to accelerate a little to see and hear what the power of this motor has and all I can say is WOW!! That supercharger whine is awsome. Like I said I really can't test the power just yet because of the wetness, but a person can just tell it's strong. Thanks Darth for your work, it's exceptional to say the least. I know we had several issues with the trans. code to still be worked out, but overall it was worth the wait. If your considering a conversion, I would recommend the sc3800 anytime.

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 11-19-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Loyde has shipped a different year PCM with different settings that might show up by saturday. When it gets here I will meet up with dizmon and we will try it out in his car.
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Dog bone mount, cooling system, and coversion to auto shifter / brake pedal is all completed.
As far as the radiator hoses, for the coolant outlet (thermostat) to pipe I used Dayco hose part number: 71075. For the pipe to water pump I used Autozone brand hose p/n: XL-1004. NOTE: Some trimming will be required.

Do you know what application the dayco 71075 hose is for?

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Do you know what application the dayco 71075 hose is for?

nope, you will probably need to have your parts store cross reference the part number.

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
In case you cannot find the XL1004, the hose I use is XL1032... This hose works on BOTH sides. Face it one way the full lenght, and it goes on the driver side, turn it over and cut a piece off, and it works on the right side... Expensive hose however.

Loyde

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.
DRLGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRLGTPSend a Private Message to DRLGTPDirect Link to This Post
Any new developments?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRLGTP:

Any new developments?

Yes, an error in the PCM programming was causing the transmission issues.

PFF
System Bot
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2004 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Yes, an error in the PCM programming was causing the transmission issues.

Actually, the PCM provided was a 2002 and the swap was based on 1999/2000 wiring and PCM programming to be 1999/2000 to get rid of the VATs... The Service number of the provided PCM could not except the 99/00 code and run well.

Once I provided the 1999 PCM for this project and loaded the code as per all swaps done here at FastFieros, it resolved the issue of the shifting.

One thing to note however in OBDII programming with HP Tuners software... You cannot just turn off codes in the OSID per PCM. HP Tuners uses a generic list of DTC's and if you randomly just turn off codes, you could accidently be turning off or changing something completely unrelated to DTC codes.

The 99 code in the 99 PCM as resulted in 2 codes that are not driveabilty, but the customer will be getting another PCM with these codes corrected.

Loyde

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2004 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the PCM provided was a 2002 and the swap was based on 1999/2000 wiring and PCM programming to be 1999/2000 to get rid of the VATs... The Service number of the provided PCM could not except the 99/00 code and run well.

Once I provided the 1999 PCM for this project and loaded the code as per all swaps done here at FastFieros, it resolved the issue of the shifting.

Loyde

The 2002 wiring is nearly identical to the 99/2000 wiring. The reason why Loyde had to put 99/00 programming on the 2002 PCM is because his software did not have the capability to disable VATS in the 2002 program. A side effect that Loyde nor I knew about with putting 99/00 code on a 2002 PCM was this trans shifting issue. When Loyde supplied the 99 PCM with correct code it fixed the trans shifting problems but then we had 2 emissions (EVAP vent solenoid which is not present and Fuel Tank pressure sensor which is not present) and 1 non-emissions code (fuel pump speed relay which is not present) pop up that resulted in a check engine light. As Loyde described he will be sending us another PCM with these codes disabled so the check engine light will only come on if there is a legitimate problem with the existing systems or sensors.

The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Loyde, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??? YOU CALL MY CELL AND THEN TELL ME (I'm assuming you are talking to me since you didn't address anyone and it is my phone) IT IS RUDE TO TALK IN E-MAIL???
DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD FIND OUT THE PHONE'S OWNER FIRST BEFORE MAKING THE CALL? The number you called was mine, and it is for MY PATIENTS!!!! That's right my patients to get ahold of me so they can make appointments in the clinic. This is not, was not, and never will be Darth's business phone! I allow him occasionally to use this phone when convienient to call customers when we are out of town or other extenuating circumstances. HOW DID YOU GET MY NUMBER??? I know he would not give it to you. I know you have his number and from now on when you accuse him of being rude to you maybe you should check yourself and your own rudeness! Sincerely Heather

------------------

http://dtcc.cz28.com/85FieroL36

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Adjuster:

Loyde, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??? YOU CALL MY CELL AND THEN TELL ME (I'm assuming you are talking to me since you didn't address anyone and it is my phone) IT IS RUDE TO TALK IN E-MAIL???
DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD FIND OUT THE PHONE'S OWNER FIRST BEFORE MAKING THE CALL? The number you called was mine, and it is for MY PATIENTS!!!! That's right my patients to get ahold of me so they can make appointments in the clinic. This is not, was not, and never will be Darth's business phone! I allow him occasionally to use this phone when convienient to call customers when we are out of town or other extenuating circumstances. HOW DID YOU GET MY NUMBER??? I know he would not give it to you. I know you have his number and from now on when you accuse him of being rude to you maybe you should check yourself and your own rudeness! Sincerely Heather

Ok... this probably could have been kept a private issue...

This is a great thread... I really hope to be able to afford to do this swap sometime in the future.

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
I actually called and apologized for calling her cell phone, but it was the number Ryan gave to me to call him. She could not accept my apology and decided to hang up on me.

Best I can do for her is just not call again.

Best I can do for Ryan is to never help him again period and let him deal with OBDII in his own way.

Loyde

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

I actually called and apologized for calling her cell phone, but it was the number Ryan gave to me to call him. She could not accept my apology and decided to hang up on me.

Best I can do for her is just not call again.

Best I can do for Ryan is to never help him again period and let him deal with OBDII in his own way.

Loyde

Hey now... we need to stick together. A lot of people will benefit from this thread! Right now there are only about five or six people that I would trust my car with to have this done and two of them are in this thread... If this thing works out then you both win.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
[edited to remove link, read below]

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 12-06-2004).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Most of this should have stayed private tho... Good luck to both of you in this situation and I hope it ends up better than it is right now... please?

------------------
88 Fiero GT Auto
01 Prizm 5 Spd.

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Well I know who I would trust to do a 3800 swap...............after reading this thread and to other one you started slamming Loyde.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Most of this should have stayed private tho... Good luck to both of you in this situation and I hope it ends up better than it is right now... please?

You are correct, looking back on it now this should have stayed private. However that "beware of loyde" thread I started WAS the result of an impulsive response to the nasty emails and phone messages I got from Loyde and at the time I thought it might be prudent to warn the PFF community of my experience. Now I realize that was probably a mistake.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 12-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
**** happens, people get upset, things get said, and life moves on

as long as nothing dishonest happened I don't have a problem with either person involved

HighPowered

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2004 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HighPoweredSend a Private Message to HighPoweredDirect Link to This Post
I like your idea for the mounts. Those are coming in very handy and at a bargain price.. Thanks for the info!
The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Ok here's my attempt... Since you asked so nicely, but I don't have the time to edit, Loyde sorry for chewing you out so much...Darth told me that he was working on his website and my phone was available so he gave the number for you to reach him.

------------------

http://dtcc.cz28.com/85FieroL36

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock