Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Centerforce clutch pressure plate let go and broke my transmission.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Centerforce clutch pressure plate let go and broke my transmission. by skitime
Started on: 08-12-2004 06:18 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: skitime on 08-13-2004 03:20 PM
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally got my transmission out. Something had broke on the way home from the Carlisle Fiero show months ago. Today I pulled the transmission and found a large rivit had come out of the pressure plate and contacted the bell housing resulting in a hole into the differential area. I had been happy with the V8 Archie Centerforce clutch up till now but I will put something else in now. So what clutch would you suggest? Does anyone have a good Getrag case that I can transfer these gears into. I have another Getrag to put in but I would love to save the broken one with a new case.

Here are pictures of the destruction.

This picture shows a rivet that is still in place so you get an idea what came out.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 08-12-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rockcrawl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Someone posted some pics of a broken Centerforce about a year ago, same exact problem. I think it was one of the Northstar guys. I have a bunch of Getrags up here if you need one. I have one from an '88 Formula, it's stuck in gear, you can have that one.

Jon

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I recall hearing about a Centerforce let go like that before also. Would be interesting to see if you could get any money out of them to replace your trans.

------------------

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Yep, I recall hearing about a Centerforce let go like that before also. Would be interesting to see if you could get any money out of them to replace your trans.

Ya right. That would never happen.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

Someone posted some pics of a broken Centerforce about a year ago, same exact problem. I think it was one of the Northstar guys. I have a bunch of Getrags up here if you need one. I have one from an '88 Formula, it's stuck in gear, you can have that one.

Jon

That would be perfect rockcrawl. Please save it for me. I have to figure out when I can get up there to get it. It was a good trans before this. lol

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Gosh............ that hurt but could have been worse try a Spec clutch or a Ram it seems they are doing a lot better than the Centerforce.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Skitime, I recommend a SPEC clutch...still have never seen a failure on one of these. I have heard that the stage three is still very streetable, and is only ~$270 shipped from www.clutchdepot.com. Part number SC883. It is rated for 450 lb-ft of torque, and most of the 3800SC crowd are running these. There is supposedly a new Stage 3 "I" coming out, you have to call spec to get the part number, (tech line 205-491-8581), that will hold the same as their solid iron disk stage 5 clutch, which is 650 lb-ft in the fiero, but still be streetable. There are several threads on the stage three with pictures if you search for "spec clutch" in just the title in GFC and the archives. I was very impressed with the reviews of people on the forum, and went with a stage 2 (340 lb-ft) for my stock 2.8.
To my knowledge, no Fiero owner has tried the stage three "I" yet. There is information on the following site:
http://www.clutchexpress.com/spec2.htm
------------------
Thanks Aus!
More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

[This message has been edited by Bigfieroman (edited 08-12-2004).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Do you think this failure is related to your engine's horsepower output? Or was it from spirited shifting? Or just plain product failure?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Do you think this failure is related to your engine's horsepower output? Or was it from spirited shifting? Or just plain product failure?

Well I did not baby my car but did not abuse it either. I feel it was product failure.

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
How come this isn't in the "History of Skitime's car" tread?

------------------

Signature courtesy of MinnGreen.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave, I sent you one of the warrantee cards. However you bought that clutch back on 11-1-2001 & I'm sure no one will warrantee a clutch 3 years after the purchase.

I can make you up an invoice that would show a purchase in the last few months. However, that wouldn't work either because in the last 3 years CForce has upgraded the clutch they build for me twice & when you return that clutch & they inspect it, they'll find that it's a style that has been out of production for a while.

So while it may have been defective, it surely way outlasted the warrantee period.

We would like to see some pictures of the Flywheel face & the pressure plate face to see how well it wore over the years.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
How many miles were on the clutch?
Even though it is out of warranty, You may still want to contact Centerforce, They may say "oh well" or they may actually offer you a new style clutch.
The failure of the rivit may have been a problem with that particular series of clutches (since they have changed the style) and sometimes they will offer some compensation. It's just a thought. Most of the time major companies will usually do something if it was a design problem.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 08-12-2004).]

revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Ski,
I too have gone though a centerforce clutch (by demos and abuse)
I bought the SPEC clutch / PP #SC883 for around the $290 range. much better!

Was it a VERY NOTICEABLE noise that you can't miss? Sorry for your loss.

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Not an isolated incident...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-031481.html

Mine was out of warrantee (about a year old), but they still replaced it. The new pressure plate had three straps at each location.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
spec is looking pretty good - but how much does this run?

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2004 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

spec is looking pretty good - but how much does this run?

I am running a twin pack that I bought from a local racing store going out of business for $350 for the whole assembly the clutch is $115 to replace but the assembly $412 to $1050.For street it will take a lot of getting used to it is a no nonsense clutch and wil not slip but the life span is relatively short Cali kid and Tina I think runs the same set up.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Not an isolated incident...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-031481.html

Mine was out of warrantee (about a year old), but they still replaced it. The new pressure plate had three straps at each location.

Hey thanks for the link. It was exaxtly the same failure. Luckily his trans did not break but has the same marks on it as mine did. That confirms my feelings not to go with a Centerforce replacement. Thanks again.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

I am running a twin pack that I bought from a local racing store going out of business for $350 for the whole assembly the clutch is $115 to replace but the assembly $412 to $1050.For street it will take a lot of getting used to it is a no nonsense clutch and wil not slip but the life span is relatively short Cali kid and Tina I think runs the same set up.

thanks - think i'll go for a spec-3 then

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
forum member tomanyfiero's in albany ohio has two getrags, i believe he wants $250 each for them, you may wanna contact him, both were removed from 86SE's and have been confirmed to be getrags. both are in un-known condition though i would say both or either of them would be fine.

matthew

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

forum member tomanyfiero's in albany ohio has two getrags, i believe he wants $250 each for them, you may wanna contact him, both were removed from 86SE's and have been confirmed to be getrags. both are in un-known condition though i would say both or either of them would be fine.

matthew

Thanks for the tip. I found a replacement Fiero Getrag the day after it happened in a local yard and only $125 ;-)

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
not a problem dave, i just sold a 92 beretta GT whole car with bad motor and horrid interior for $150, it had a getrag in it, i just didnt want to mess with pulling it out.

matthew

PFF
System Bot
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
You should have bought a SPEC...
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lowfierogt:

You should have bought a SPEC...

Yes, I am getting that feeling.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock