Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FIERO GOD OF FIRE STRIKETH AGAIN (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
FIERO GOD OF FIRE STRIKETH AGAIN by GTDude
Started on: 06-30-2004 09:33 AM
Replies: 100
Last post by: 84Bill on 07-18-2004 06:41 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Holy cow dude! Okay, now honestly... why haven't you installed a sprinkler system in the engine compartment yet? Boy never learns j/k, well, okay not really... but seriously, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
IP: Logged
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well... NASCAR does have a small sprinkler head installed next to to fuel cells... it's another idea

*snicker* @ Blake's request

fierodog

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post
ok I know one side is melted on it but how much for the rear bumper cover??

fierodog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post

fierodog

972 posts
Member since Jun 2004
i know one side is a little melted but how much for rear bumper cover?/
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
matthew.........I am truly hurt that you would suggest such a thing. Question anything, but don't question my integrity. That was uncalled for and obviously something your mind added 2 plus 2 and got 5. I thought we were friends buddy..............Do you have any idea how much time I spent just painting that car. I hope you said that without thinking of my feelings.......cause it hurt.

Phil

------------------
86 GT TTops, 3.4 Auto.....bought from Doug of Fiero Warehouse

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. I will never be able to return as an auto tech again. I get EXTREME satisfaction helping others and will go to Extreme levels to help you if you need help. I have LOTS of free time on my hands. This forum and the help I give, allow me to have a purposeful life. Bring on the problems......LOL.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
"GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. I will never be able to return as an auto tech again. I get EXTREME satisfaction helping others and will go to Extreme levels to help you if you need help. I have LOTS of free time on my hands. This forum and the help I give, allow me to have a purposeful life. Bring on the problems......LOL"

And why would I take a Fiero to you for repair?

GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I was gonna do alot of things once I got everything finished.......like adding a fire extinguisher. Oh, by the way.......the car was about 200 ft from the nearest water supply. I'm not sure what is good yet, but I'll supply a detailed list when I can bear to look at it closely.

Thanks for the + it helps a little......and I'll take all the feeling good I can get.

Again.........if there is something that you want specifically PLEASE CONTACT ME BY EMAIL

skyhawk@moonstar.com
thanks.

Phil

------------------

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. I will never be able to return as an auto tech again. I get EXTREME satisfaction helping others and will go to Extreme levels to help you if you need help. I have LOTS of free time on my hands. This forum and the help I give, allow me to have a purposeful life. Bring on the problems......LOL.

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 06-30-2004).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Man...at least you don't have a problem with lightning...or do you? (sidles away) I think I know how you feel...maybe there's something wrong in my personality makeup, but I sometimes seem to relate better to machines, especially cars, than people. It really bums me out to see something like what happened to your car. We get complacent sometimes around gasoline because it's such a common substance in our everyday world, it's easy to forget how dangerous it can be. Wish I had a time machine to throw you into, bud...(I'd send you back to buy each of us new loaded Formulas). Sorry for your loss.

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice...

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
At least now I know why you didn't answer my pm about purchasing this car.
It breaks my heart to look at that!!
I'm sorry for your loss!

Jeff

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Phil, I am sorry but thats 4 too many fieros. 1st one yeah ok, it happens. But 5 and you say youre hurt if someone suggests the obvious? 5 burnt fieros phil in what time frame? What are the odds?

I hope I am way off base with this Phil because you have always been helpfull to me. But c'mon!
If it does turn out to be arson (and I really hope this isnt the case), I wouldnt buy a thing off that or any other car he owns.
5 cars 2 different insurance companies.... anyone have any idea how this will impact our insurance rates?????

Steven

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-01-2004).]

Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
SOMEBODY better take Doug's 86GT T-Top away from him before he burns it! How much you want for it Dude? I might take it off your hands.
PFF
System Bot
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear you lost another one to fire! You have the worst luck with these little cars. I hope this is the last one, and you don't have to ever see a car burn up on you again. I don't think I could take one Fiero burning up, much less five!

Best of luck, and hang a rabbits foot from the mirror of your t-top!

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2004 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

Sorry to hear you lost another one to fire! You have the worst luck with these little cars. I hope this is the last one, and you don't have to ever see a car burn up on you again. I don't think I could take one Fiero burning up, much less five!

Best of luck, and hang a rabbits foot from the mirror of your t-top!

FIVE!?!?!?!?!!!!????!!!????

Luck? Umm... I think the insurance company may be looking this so called luck... jebus man, I heard of lightning striking twice but 5 times equates to a different variety of lightning.

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Maybe you should even consider an engine-bay fire supression system (large extinguisher bottle with nozzles mounted in the engine bay. Fire starts, you pull the cord, fire is put out!

*chuckle* I was just about to suggest a halon system

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ronnie:

SOMEBODY better take Doug's 86GT T-Top away from him before he burns it! How much you want for it Dude? I might take it off your hands.

Thats what I was thinking. I love that car!

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Have you been present when ALL of them burned, Phil? We used to have a little firebug in our neighborhood, who used to set fire to newspapers under one of his neighbors' cars; everybody thought the guy who owned the cars was doing it, until an insurance investigator rented a vacant apartment across the street, was videotaping, using a digital motion detector, hoping to catch the guy doing it, and caught the kid in the act. Turned out the kid had an axe to grind, the guy had got him in trouble with his dad two years previously and the kid was out for revenge. Burned three cars over the space of a year.

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 07-01-2004).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

would that be as stupid as me asking how much for the fastback clip?

Rich, You knew I was joking... right?

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
seriously, i may want that fastback section depending on the damage. i have a project in mind i'll need the lower section only. tails too if there not too nice looking to sell to someone else. i plan on making a convertible.

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 219,500 miles and still runing!!!
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 139,000 miles! Cat less, but otherwise damn near stock!
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( parts car RIP

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
GTDude, say it ain't so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I feel so bad for you right now.
How are you doing throughout all of this?
Is there anything that we can do for you?

Phil, you are one of the nicest folks here on the fourm, its just a shame. I'm sorry but they just don't make bandaids for something like this. I'm speachless.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light" and "a good nights sleep"

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
We all poke and joke with Phil but I do feel bad for him, he just lost his car and I bet insurance is not going to be as much as if he could have sold it.
Phil we are just pulling your leg, besides that will buff right out.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
2 words:
Magic Eraser.
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

2 words:
Magic Eraser.

That only works on vinyl

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2004 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
another one bites the dust...

Sorry man.

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that you didnt get burned bro-
Gasoline is fierce.
Looking like an old elephant man wasnt in the cards...this (last) time.
I seriously doubt you will charbroil any more fieros.
The odds of it happening after 4 or 5 or (however many you've cooked) is astronimical.
Good luck n' take care of your back-
OUT>
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
By the way Mosh insurance does not take all those things into account unless you have a special policy (which most people don't). I went through both State Farm and Liberty Mutual and they both told me that in order to get anything other than Blue Book for my car I had to get a special policy - even if I had all the receipts.

Jen

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
You've owned five Fieros and they all burned.
I believe that you have been a skilled automotive technician for 27 years but with your skill, this still happens.
Funny coincidence isn't it?. After five straight Fiero fires I don't buy it one bit.
Something is not quite right here; either extreme carelessness, a severe substance abuse problem, an insurance job, or perhaps the individual is a pyromaniac.
What are the odds of five fieros burning for the same owner?. Let's get real, and let's be honest, those Fieros were torched. Not to be hard on you Phil, but you did admit to me a while back that you liked narcotics. Am I getting warm?

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
[[/QUOTE]What are the odds of five fieros burning for the same owner?.

Yes, can anyone run some actuarial tables on that? I bet it's on the same order as being hit with an asteroid in the next ten minutes.

"Once is happenstance, twice, coincidence; three times is enemy action." ---Heinz Guderian...
------------------

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 07-03-2004).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

You've owned five Fieros and they all burned. ...

I think he has owned more than five Fieros, and all of them did not burn. Everyone should remember... "innocent until proven guilty". I would like to give Phil the benefit of doubt. It does seem awful suspicious that five of his Fieros have burned, but let's not convict the man without evidence. The mob metality and character lynching serves little purpose. The insurance company will look into it if they feel the need.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Come on, people. We know insurance companies operate on statistics. He'll probably have a hard enough time with them without us pointing fingers. Could he be torching them? I don't know. Could someone else be torching them? I'd believe that before I believed he'd torch the car himself after putting so much work into it. But regardless of what happened, it's likely there will be an insurance investigation. Hopefully the root cause will be found, whether that's incredibly bad luck, overlooking something, arson, etc. But pointing fingers at the man as soon as he looses his car is just bad. If you're right, big deal. If you're wrong, you're just adding insult to injury.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Well, for those of you that think I'm a firebug.......it's your opinion.......everyone has them, but keep it to yourself. I have enough grief in my life.

For the rest of you, i've had 18 Fieros in the past 2 years................and the one I got from Doug got 2 fire extinguishers yesterday........lol. God I love that car. Hey is it possible to put a cam in without removing the engine for those of you that have attempted it. Thanks.

Phil

------------------

L44_87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2004 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L44_87GTDirect Link to This Post
smells like an insurance scam.
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2004 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
18 / 5 = 1 in 3.6 cars in 2 years or an average of 1.8 cars a year!! I have 5 fieros, I'm in great peril!

It is unfortunate that you don't see the humor in it GTDude. True, it is very unfortunate to have lost so many but with luck as bad as that I'm afraid you may need more than a few fire extinguishers and a few less fireaos.

I'm always willing to help so I'll buy one from ya, just walk it quickly past the grill, I like mine rare.

X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you should consider one of these. Its a AFFF wet system as opposed to Halon 1211 and can be recharged by the user.

http://www.firecharger.com/

------------------

My X86GT Site

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Hey is it possible to put a cam in without removing the engine for those of you that have attempted it. Thanks.

Phil

You have 27 years GM experience by your own words, you should know.

hajii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hajiiSend a Private Message to hajiiDirect Link to This Post
Damn, Why is everyone out to get Phil?

Personally, I think it's a real sh!tty deal when something this tragic happens, and then the very people he has helped on this forum come out of the woodwork to accuse him of insurance fraud, and whatever else they come up with. That's comparable to calling an infantryman just back from Afghanistan a babykiller. Absoluteley reprehensible.

So the guy has had an incredible run of bad luck; we all have had runs of bad luck, just some cases are more severe than others; I thought we were here to help each other with technical issues in here; not bandy about accusations regarding another members' misfortune.

Phil, I want to thank you for the help you've given me in the past with my fiero mods & troubleshooting. Ignore the naysayers, but, PLEASE do get fire supression systems in the rest of your cars, fieros & otherwise.

That's my $.02, somebody else can have the soapbox; maybe it's time I found another fiero forum after this display of 'sympathy'.

------------------
85 SE 2m4 resurrected

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is, if I were Phil I'd invest in an automatic system of some kind (with an extra manual trigger) for the engine compartment, and a weatherproof web cam. That way, the people on this forum can help ol' Phil watch his car...

------------------

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
Even though this sounds suspicious, You would hafta be goofy (by narcotics or otherwise) to lite off 5 fieros for the insurance money. Unless you got the cars for free there just ain't no way insurance is gonna pay what the cars are worth, or what you paid for / have into them. Don't take this the wrong way, but when I run into a bit of bad luck, it won't seem so bad when I think of you!

------------------
Tim
Red 88 Formula Auto 2.8 100K+ Miles - Hypertech - No Cat - No EGR

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence!

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Could the mix of "electrical and computer problem solving" compounded with the narcotics have caused the fires?
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I just don't understand how anyone can feel sorry for this guy anymore.

• Parks on tall grass so he can take a leak
  • Makes two piece valve covers that leak
  • Buys car and sets out on long drive without inspecting it

I will have to admit that the latest one is the best though

• Sprays fuel in engine bay while connecting jumper cables

And soon to come

• Cam change gone bad

GTDude please stop this trend. It is clear that you have been a large contributing factor in most of these cars catching on fire.

------------------

Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
Vultures... /sigh.

The guy just lot a sweet car, have a little respect for the dead.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock