Better Brakes! by kjstauffer
Started on: 03-26-2004 10:10 AM
Replies: 43
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 05-20-2004 09:12 PM
cancerkazoo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt88:

I have the four wheel corvette upgrade, but I'd really like to hear your argument on this. Because, to me that statement makes no sense at all. The corvette upgrade uses all stock equipment other than the bigger rotors (and brackets for the calipers). How would bigger rotors reduce your stopping distance?

Just think of your hand as a caliper. Your stock brakes are a 8" long 1/2" ratchet, now get a 12" long ratchet/breaker bar. Which has more leverage?

IP: Logged
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Most of the time Ogre gives facts about various options. With brakes, he's almost fanatical, probably rightly so. That said, he's also not entirely correct on several issues.

First, DOT rating on SS brake lines. Earls has offered DOT approved lines for quite a while. Earl's
As far as having some "single strand of the braid can break and punch the liner", I've never heard of that happening on any street car before. If it did happen, you'd see a pinhole of fluid leakage and replace the line, it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure. I use braided hoses all day, every day, and the only catastrophic failures I've ever seen are if the ends get blown off, and that's pretty darn rare. I have seen catastrophic failures of rubber brake lines in apparently good condition at the time where they ruptured and blew out the side.

Ogre, have you actually SEEN a failure of the type you describe or are you going by what you've been told? The idea of how this could happen, given the weave pattern and how the system is made, is really not registering with me. I've cut too many apart and replaced too many ends on hydraulic hose (which is really the same thing with a rubber cover over the metal) to see how it's even possible.

Stainless lines have advantages of abrasion resistance and, for the DOT approved lines, teflon liners which make them quite impervious to air. They also won't break down from exposure to oil and grease nearly as fast as regular rubber lines.

I do agree that you're not going to see any improvement between NEW rubber, conventional lines and NEW SS lines. Both will work fine. But that doesn't make using SS lines bad, illegal, or a waste of money if you shop properly and pay attention to details.

As far as the rotors and calipers, we have a virtually stock system on the Finale. For normal street driving they work just fine. One problem I see is that automatic cars never get the parking brake used and without using the parking brake, the rears won't stay in adjustment for very long. You need to remember to use the parking brake from time to time, even with an automatic if you expect your brakes to work.

Our system is non-stock only in the issue of Master Cylinder. We do have the Blazer MC on our Finale because it greatly reduces pedal travel and the only ones that drive it are Chris and myself so we have no problems with a slight increase in pedal force. We used it because with the increased force it's easier to modulate pressure in panic stops and the shorter stroke. There is nothing "unsafe" about this modification IF you are aware of the changes it's made.

Now we've been autocrossing the Finale lately and I can tell you for a fact that you will find the brakes aren't adequate for that. I've seen someone that had cryogenic treated rotors that supposedly are much more resistant to warpage, but I haven't used them myself so I'll reserve judgement. I do know that after 2 or three fast autocross runs, a stock, well serviced Fiero braking system with CarboMet pads is going to fade and fade badly.

But that isn't street use.

The autocross specific car I'm working on right now has Grand Am brakes all around specifically to address the fade issue. We'll see if it makes any difference. If it does, I'm going to go further and replace the calipers with lightweight aluminum ones when I find them and get back some of the weight I gained by using the Grand Am Calipers. Time will tell.

John Stricker

PS: The autocross car has an off-road title and is not legal, or driven, on the street so save the comments about how it's no longer legal to drive it.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I didn't read all of the posts, but I recently bled/flushed my brake system, bought new rear calipers and new pads and I'll be driving it in a few days and hopefully my pedal distance will be corrected. When I first bought my fiero last summer I knew I had to do this or else it could be fatal. I literally had to push the pedal to the floor to get any stopping power.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Earls has offered DOT approved lines for quite a while.

I agree ... but the DOT approved hoses from Earl's are not what The Fiero Store is selling. See www.earlsindy.com; scroll down to the "Stop & Read" section ... these are the hoses that The Fiero Store has been selling. The DOT-compliant hoses from Earl's differ from the "Speed-Flex" hose assemblies in that they have an external spring-type strain relief mechanism at each end. Also, there may be a DOT compliant kit from Earl's for the Fiero, but it's not listed in their catalog nor is it listed in the URL you provided. I'm not suggesting that anyone should buy, or not buy, the Earl's hoses ... in fact, I appreciate Earl's being up-front about DOT compliance; I just want everyone to be able to make a well informed decision.

I also agree that I've never heard of a broken wire from frayed braid punching a hole in the hose liner, either in aircraft or automotive service. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I'd like to know more.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-21-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock